rugbyunion
Latest News:

Doncaster won't accept promotion
Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 13:04
[www.drfc.co.uk]

In a nutshell the Donny chairman has come out today and said that if they win the play offs they won't accept promotion as it is not financially feasible for them at this time.

Re: Doncaster won't accept promotion
Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 13:56
So Bristol must be praying for a Donnie v Ealing final!

Henry Ford (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 14:19
Strange time to make the statement though...... Why did they not say it earlier in the season. following a review????? Gives there players freedom to play with nothing to lose, no pressure at all.

Crazy situation. Should just be straight playoff games between us and Yorkshire then if they and Ealing don't want to go up. We both finished first and second anyway. Playoffs are a joke and getting rid of them next year proves it.

Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 14:23
Interesting times though, how long before a 14 team premiership? Or maybe 16 in 2 conferences with Ealing and Pirates also invited in a few years?

You could play your own conference home and away and the other conference once to make a regular season of 22 games same as now?

Ecksile (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 15:49
Quote:
Henry Ford
............Crazy situation. Should just be straight playoff games between us and Yorkshire then if they and Ealing don't want to go up. We both finished first and second anyway. Playoffs are a joke and getting rid of them next year proves it.

While to a certain extent I agree (for London Irish and Yorks Carnegie), the point as much as anything else is that the teams that make it through to the play offs then derive the revenue from the extra games.

Given how tight the finances are of nearly all the Championship clubs then the chance of playing and earning from those extra games is immense.

For many, the demise of London Welsh had a profound effect due to the loss of revenue from a home game. For some, they have played so few games that their season ended at the beginning of April which is simply ridiculous.

The opinion from some on this board is that Irish are in the Championship by virtue of an horrendous error. Just remember that without the investment of a few years ago "there but for the grace of god, go London Irish" --- (to paraphrase)

Henry Ford (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 15:55
Quote:
Ecksile
The opinion from some on this board is that Irish are in the Championship by virtue of an horrendous error. Just remember that without the investment of a few years ago "there but for the grace of god, go London Irish" --- (to paraphrase)

I have absolutely no idea what you are on about here?

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 16:38
Quote:
Henry Ford
Quote:
Ecksile

I have absolutely no idea what you are on about here?

We would have gone down before we did, the Powerday money wouldn't have been injected, and the proceeds from sale of The Avenue wouldn't have been enough to bring us back up again?

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

27 April, 2017 17:39
14 team ring fenced Prem would be marvellous. Would mean we could continue to build every single season with nothing to lose.

Griff (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 18:05
I can't stress how much I disagree with a 14 team prem and ring-fencing. Basically it would mean you could discard around a third of the season because there'd be nothing to play for.

Personally I'd like to see two, say, 10 team upper and lower prems with funding virtually identical (obviously there'd have to be incentive to be in the upper but I'd have thought HC would be enough with a bit of loose change). The idea being that we drag lower teams up rather than simply slamming the door whilst making the drops (upper to lower and lower to "championship") much smaller.

I think this is a great decision by Doncaster, the premiership is a big jump. Welsh bankrupted themselves getting up. You need a massive war-chest for the first couple of seasons if you're going to compete and a bad run of injuries is all that's required to scupper the best-laid plans. If they were to win they'd be able to take the winnings (they'd get the equivalent of a year's AP funding) and use it to start the war-chest.

I've been at the AGM of my local club quite a few times (because I'm a party guy, obviously) and it's often been stated that we have a level at which we're happy. We wouldn't take promotion above that level because the funding simply isn't there to support such a move. Knowing where you sit currently in the structure is key and I think Donny are making a difficult but sensible move.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 22:13
Difficult, sensible but above all honest and that's what is best for the future of Donny.
This goes to show that the play offs were always about wringing a little bit of cash out of punters and not about honest sporting endeavour

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

Sam_R43 (IP Logged)
28 April, 2017 08:20
Couldn't agree more Griff. The demise and poor management of L Welsh has woken the other clubs up to the fact there isn't going to be much support from on high if you end up in financial strife.

Richmond remain semi-pro, Hartpury will do the same next year, Donny refusing promotion, concern at Rotherham's lack of recruiting for next season, and the new director at Scottish talking about returning to semi-pro. That's around half the team's in the league. Until the RFU pull their finger out and properly find a second tier we'll continue to see clubs barely keep their heads above water.

I'd happily back two smaller leagues over ring-fencing. Promotion/relegation is vital to maintain the integrity & interest in top flight rugby. How long will the likes of Sarries, Tigers, Exeter happily share equal TV money if they're on every week and we, Newcastle, Worcester are never covered because the games are irrelevant?

HMRH (IP Logged)
28 April, 2017 09:59
All in favour of promotion and relegation but it's not right to have these games when 2/4 teams are playing for one thing and the other 2 something else. RFU needs to either have 1 larger league- unlikely unless Anglo Welsh Gets dropped before SA teams join or fund enough teams to make the jump feasible.

LLL (IP Logged)
28 April, 2017 11:16
Seems kind of odd situation, playing to win the league but knowing you won't go up to the top flight even if you do win it.

DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
28 April, 2017 11:49
Not really. There has always been a payment made to a club that wins the Championship (or it's predecessor) and stays down.

So the clubs are playing for money - as well as prestige!

If Donny do win the play-offs, they'll get a few £M which could set them up to start investing so that they are ready for promotion some time in the future.

Mark W-J (IP Logged)
28 April, 2017 12:02
Quote:
DrV'sHairyCraic
Not really. There has always been a payment made to a club that wins the Championship (or it's predecessor) and stays down.
So the clubs are playing for money - as well as prestige!

If Donny do win the play-offs, they'll get a few £M which could set them up to start investing so that they are ready for promotion some time in the future.

People often say that such-and-such a club would rather take the payment than promotion, but I'm not sure that there is a choice. Rotherham were refused promotion about 15 years ago, and were paid some form of compensation - although I think that there was a stipulation that at least a given proportion was spent on upgrading their facilties - but there is nothing in terms of a written contract that states that you can choose between promotion and a cash alternative.

DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
28 April, 2017 12:08
Maybe not Mark but if you fail to go through the review process to see if you're facilities are up to it, you are effectively choosing to stay down.

Whether that effects your compensation amount or not, I don't know.

waltham (IP Logged)
28 April, 2017 20:44
For many years, a franchise system has been muted...im not a fan if it BUT....it would allow funding and planning

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

London Irish Poll

What do you think of this poll?

See results > Submit >>