rugbyunion
Latest News:

Simulation and Football Managers who condone it.
bisach (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 10:16
It may not seem a Rugby topic, but the MOTD programme and specifically Alan Pardew's comments really incensed me.

There'd been a few cases of footy players "diving" for penalties this weekend on which he commented saying it wouldn't be right for managers to publically berate/chastise their players for doing so. Which, in my opinion, is right to some extent.

He also made a comment about rugby, mentioning "the gouging" the takes place in rugby away from the action which the officials might miss.

What the feck does this guy know? As an aside, the supporters of the clubs he has managed might ask the same, but for different reasons.

The citing process in rugby deals with any incident not caught and missed by the officials, of which, I don't seem to remember any citings of "off play missed gouging."

Would post-match citing work for footy? I don't know. Monetarily, fines wouldn't mean a lot for players at the higher levels, though those al lower levels of the game would feel the pinch. Bans might work if clubs were without their primadonnas for a few weeks though.

Their are weaknesses in the rugby process but don't use rugby to defend the blatant cheating in football Mr Pardew.

Re: Simulation and Football Managers who condone it.
M51 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 12:48
Alan P has a history of not engaging brain before putting his mouth in gear. I have long wandered why soccer doesn't employ retrospective bans for diving, I am sure it would encourage a reduction in the amount of diving and play acting for non contact tackles.

LLL (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 21:31
The potential benefits of diving are openly discussed by the coaches at under 14 football level at my local club, which has dozens of youth teams. And I'm assured that is commonplace. It's part of football now. As is generalised aggression. The fans love it, it all forms part of the drama, apparently. Which is why the authorities don't enforce simple rules which would easily stop it. That's what my football fan acquaintances say, anyway.

Not for me, personally, but each to their own, I guess.

Royalsfan (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 22:08
Football does have the equivalent of post match citing. It's had huge recent publicity given the ban handed to Zlatan Ibrahimovic (a player representing Manchester United) for an offence not seen by the referee.

As for simulation, I hate it. It's cheating. Although in many sports players bend the rules so far they meet themselves coming back the other way. I believe players who do this are known as All Blacks.

And Pardew is in fact a bit of an Andy Goode.

M51 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 22:42
I wish it all made sense and could be easily remedied. But I expect the drama and the desire to win will drive alternative ways to best the opposition and always be part of the game whether it be soccer, rugby or any competitive sport.

SimonW (IP Logged)
02 May, 2017 23:52
the terminology used by pundits commenting on the player whose just flung himself to the ground after the slightest of touches then is awarded a penalty is so wrong - "he won a penalty" arghhhhhh feck off shearer an all.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 09:55
Quote:
SimonW
the terminology used by pundits commenting on the player whose just flung himself to the ground after the slightest of touches then is awarded a penalty is so wrong - "he won a penalty" arghhhhhh feck off shearer an all.

Please get your facts correct it is the equally hideous "he drew the foul" comment used by football pundits, who are as annoying as most rugby pundits to be fair.
I honestly do like the game of football and every now and then you can watch a classic entertaining and compelling match, as much the same as rugby.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net