rugbyunion
Latest News:

The RFU Championship next year!
Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 14:54
Article in The Times stating that Prem clubs will not be loaning academy players to Championship sides next year, instead expanding the A league from 5 to 10 matches.

Here is the article:

Sorry, I can't past the article here apparently, but if you want to read it in full it's on the Bristol board.....

[www.rugbynetwork.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2017 15:14 by Ozzy3213.

Re: The RFU Championship next year!
MickeyMouse (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 14:56
Sorry guys, but that article is behind a paywall and has been cut and pasted on a public forum (which is google-able). Can you please remove this before an Ed is forced to?

GHA (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 15:24
(Sm108)

Sam_R43 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 08:22
Was talking about this on the train home from Doncaster, I'm torn.

1/ Premiership youngsters
- Expanding the A league and getting rid of loaning players should be good for academy & under 18 players. Should give them more consistent game time in front of their home coaches rather than messing them around between A league, loan clubs, LV/B&I games. Take Rory Brand as an example, exciting young scrum half on the England radar - Has been at Rosslyn Park and looked good there but kept being called back to sit on the bench for us in B&I or with England U20 so fell out of the Park squad.

2/ Abandoning the Championship
- Getting rid of loan players seems like yet another slap in the face to Championship clubs and the league as a whole. Not only does the league lose a number of talented young players, but it means that squads that struggle to survive financially will lose the opportunity for loan players. Sadly I fear by the end of next season at least 50% of the Championship will be semi-pro (or bust). Even worse, I think the RFU are well aware of that and would be quietly happy if there were less clubs needing their support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2017 08:25 by Sam_R43.

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 09:04
Absolutely spot on Sam.

The additional game time within the confines of the squad/coaching team for the academy players will be invaluable to us, but it is simply put an almost complete abandonment of the Championship. With no supplementation of Championship squads with young Premiership hopefuls/fringe players, I canít see how we will have any other situation than the relegated team walking the league and earning promotion by the end of February each year.

The Championship will be dead as a competition within 2 years and this only strengthens the argument for ring-fencing of the Premiership, whatever that may look like. The problem with that is that there is ambition amongst a handful of Championship clubs (Yorkshire, Donny, Ealing, Pirates and Jersey spring to mind), albeit without the necessary funding or structure in place currently.

Finno (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 10:15
Quote:
Ozzy3213
Absolutely spot on Sam.
The additional game time within the confines of the squad/coaching team for the academy players will be invaluable to us, but it is simply put an almost complete abandonment of the Championship. With no supplementation of Championship squads with young Premiership hopefuls/fringe players, I canít see how we will have any other situation than the relegated team walking the league and earning promotion by the end of February each year.

The Championship will be dead as a competition within 2 years and this only strengthens the argument for ring-fencing of the Premiership, whatever that may look like. The problem with that is that there is ambition amongst a handful of Championship clubs (Yorkshire, Donny, Ealing, Pirates and Jersey spring to mind), albeit without the necessary funding or structure in place currently.

Agreed....

The basic question has never been answered :

1. Is the Championship supposed to be a genuine Div 2 to the Premiership (a la the Pro D 2, in France)? If so, then fund it properly!!!

2. Or is it the Premier league for semi pro rugby, where as a semi pro player that's as high as you can go, unless you get picked up by a Premiership side? If so, it gets funded appropriately (pretty much as today) and you completely separate the Premiership and ring fence it!

At the moment it falls between the two and hence all the problems, to say nothing of all the politics that keeps this crazy situation in place. All that happens is scratching around the edges that never tackles the real questions as above.

MickeyMouse (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 10:34
Quote:
Ozzy3213
Here is the article:
Sorry, I can't past the article here apparently, but if you want to read it in full it's on the Bristol board.....

Sorry, thank you smiling smiley

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 10:36
In my most simple explanation, I would do the following:
1. Ring fence the Prem with the addition of five teams.
2. It would be a big league but the burden would be eased by the removal of the LV cup.
3. More game time means more squad rotation and the inclusion of the fringe players in more match day squads, especially during the international games
4. The youngest of the fringe players can go to the lower division teams as they do now.
5. A larger professional league would enhance the international squad quality with more players getting better and more competitive game time. There are plenty players in the championship that would get on fine in the Prem.
6. The RFU increase club payments, with extra support for the new teams in the Prem. RFU profits would be split equally to allow growth in the smaller teams.
7. Rfu provide long term loans to clubs for ground development. In the long term it will allow the smaller clubs to generate their own income

I'm sure I'm wrong on certain things but the RFU seem to be complicating this more than it needs

x_ile (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 15:01
And the Prem clubs seem to be doing their utmost to sabotage any and every initiative outside their own small, privileged sphere of interest. Championship rugby, International rugby, Lions etc etc can go to the wall as far as the Prem is concerned. Regardless of the fact that Internationals and Lions tours are the huge money spinners and the Championship provides a player pool that helps sustain their cosseted positions.

I no longer even try to keep track of Prem rugby apart from the occasional glance at the current table and a read of general rugby articles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net