rugbyunion
Latest News:

Petrus and Big Jim
wanderson90 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 22:16
Sarries Twitter confirming Petrus Du Plessis is coming to us next season and Jim Hamilton is taking on a role athat the club. Thoughts? Won't lie, bit disappointed big Jim isn't coming. Love the guy and a proper old school second row - would do well with George Robson.

Re: Petrus and Big Jim
wanderson90 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 22:42
Since been deleted

AlecW (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 03:55
Du Plessis will be 36 on 31st May...

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 08:21
Spring chicken then in tighthead terms.

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 10:26
Don't mean to single PDP out, but another player a Premiership club doesn't want rather than a player the club doesn't want to leave

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 10:37
Petrus is a player who has been in the top premiership side since 2009 and has always been seen as one of their most reliable players. Will be great cover for the likes of franks, already knows a similar style to how we want to play and hopefully can bring on the likes of Chawatama. Good signing.

Jim H. Always a hot headed thuggish player, and i'm not just holding a grudge from his glaws days. Calmed down a lot at Sarries but not overly bothered he's not coming as money could be better sent on someone younger who will stay for longer.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 10:54
Quote:
GHA
Don't mean to single PDP out, but another player a Premiership club doesn't want rather than a player the club doesn't want to leave

Was trying to think more negatively than that,,,,,,,nope you win again.
In our current position I wouldn't see players ripping up contracts to join us, but you could say that of any team in the championship, realistically, and most teams that are just promoted too, the only exception would be Bristol who have more wealth than most premiership clubs.

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 11:04
I mean he hardly played in the first five years he was there, so not sure he can be seen as one of their most reliable players, but still. Hopefully he's good cover and can help bring on some of the younger guys, but I sometimes wonder whether we fill up too much squad space / player budget on players like that.

As above, I'd also love Irish to start buying players other teams don't want to lose rather than players other teams don't mind letting go

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 11:05
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
GHA

In our current position I wouldn't see players ripping up contracts to join us

We were doing this for many years when we were in the Premiership, LIBo - it's not a new thing now we're in the Championship

Griff (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 11:07

Stevie J (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 12:00
Quote:
GHA
I mean he hardly played in the first five years he was there, so not sure he can be seen as one of their most reliable players, but still. Hopefully he's good cover and can help bring on some of the younger guys, but I sometimes wonder whether we fill up too much squad space / player budget on players like that.
As above, I'd also love Irish to start buying players other teams don't want to lose rather than players other teams don't mind letting go

He has 130 appearances for them in 7 years in a rotational system. He started in the Champions Cup final win and both Premiership Final wins.

Not sure that is hardly playing.

"Well done, is better than well said."
Benjamin Franklin, 1706 - 1790

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 12:04
In the first five years, Stevie J, rather than the last three - so he got better with age and hopefully he's still up there

Jolly Green Giant (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 12:43
Players Leaving Saracens at the end of the 2016/17 season

Chris Ashton
Kelly Brown
Neil De Kock
Petrus Du Plessis
Jim Hamilton
Fa’atiga Lemalu
Tom Lindsay
George Perkins
Jared Saunders
Tim Streather
Brian Tuilagi
Samu Vunisa

What is the young Tuilagi like ... any use ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2017 12:46 by Jolly Green Giant.

HMRH (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 12:51
i doubt we can afford the players others don't wont to lose. LI need investment to compete

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 13:05
Brian didn't pull up many trees in National 1 last season

Bazzo (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 16:07
When it comes to signing players, i always think it is difficult to recruit to Irish. What can we offer players to attract them here? Loads of money, big wages? A huge fan base, with a stadium full every week? European Cup rugby? Lots of top current internationals to play alongside?

Let's be honest, its a hard sell. Our connections and our academy are our main hopes. I am sure the BV connection has lots to do with PDP. The academy players that we are producing will bear fruit over the next few years, challenge is to stop people pinching them.

The area that I think we should look to recruit from is the league that we (hopefully) are about to leave. The championship has some good young players, other clubs in the premiership are recruiting them. From YC Ford, Holmes are off to Tigers, Burrows off to Falcons, we need to sign similar. We have the added advantage of the videos from our games that we have played against? Are six of the Jersey pack (who beat us) not signing for premiership clubs? Cost of these players would not be enormous compared to the premiership.

I know we got McNally and LJ from Welsh but other players are going to our opposition next year, I would hope that we have some good players from the championship lined up for announcement. Lots of talk about signing players who are being let go by Bristol, Worcester and the like, I would sign players on the way up not on the way down.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 20:03
Yep agreed that it must be hard to attract top quality players until we establish ourselves as a premiership outfit. Venter is very well respected so I'm hoping he can have a big impact in recruitment but in the mean time I can see us signing experienced pro's who know how to win in the premiership. Then hopefully we can blood the academy lads and establish ourselves to then attract quality players. Long way to go

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 09:48
Tim Streather would be a good signing.

No he doesn't set the prem alight but been at the most dominant team in Europe for 4 years and a good squad player for them, would do a good job with us IMO, just as Ransom has.

Florida (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 16:41
According to the rugby pod JH hasn't agreed a role at Sarries, in fact he claims to know nothing about it. Of course, he seems a bit of a joker so he could just be having a bit of fun.

Jonny_C (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 07:57
According to the Guardian Sport, Petrus Du Plessis is retiring at the end of this season along with Jim Hamilton, Kelly Brown and others.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 09:47
George Perkins would be an excellent signing.

One of the stand-outs from the England U20's group.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 10:03
Perkins has signed for Bristol iirc

stu66 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 11:00
Don't forget that three Super Rugby sides are being dropped after this season ( two from SA) placing 3 squads of players out of work (135 players). You would expect the pick of those players to be taken by the other franchises but would also expect to see a large number of solid squad players looking north.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

London Irish Poll

What do you think of this poll?

See results > Submit >>