rugbyunion
Latest News:

Team next week?
Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:04
After seeing that I would feel quite nervous with Tiks and topsy in the defensive line!
Hobbs-Awoyemi
Paice
Franks
De chaves
Robson
Coman
Cowan
Treviranus

Mckibbin
Marshall
Cokanasiga
Brophy-clews
Mulchrone
Lewington
Bell

Porecki
Court
Hoskins
Jebb
Gilsenan
Steele
Tonks

Re: Team next week?
Paul_D (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:10
Please please please let Big Joe be fit. Yet again Topsy was a defensive liability and that won't have been missed by Yorkshire.

M51 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:18
Topsy is a great winger and I think (think) he was unfortunate victim on how the first 40 mins was played out. You have to remember that as a winger you are at times a spectator to how the game is being played out. Topsy will always remind me of what a great and loyal club player should be.

dooj106 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:37
I agree the problems weren't all the result of Topsy. Having said that if Joe is fit he replaces Topsy for me. If not, then I would like to see Tiks move to the wing with Hearn coming into the centre. It might limit our attacking play somewhat, but at least Hearn is a centre.

Tiks is quicker than Topsy, so if he does jump out the line he is more likely to get man and ball and shut the attack down especially if it is one of those 'missile' tackles

olw131 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:47
Topsy was not the source of our defensive issues, please stop using him as a scapegoat...!

As BBC quite rightly pointed out at half-time the 10-12(and in particular) 13 axis was defensively all over the place as a unit. That being said I hope we can learn from this as it was clear the lads might have got a slight case of the heebie jeebies in the 1st half.

Brendan having a heated tactical discussion with Kendo was a sight to behold. The poor guy looked scarred.

M51 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:54
Agreed that there is the perfect squad but budgets and injury dictate that sometimes you have to play what you have available. All are good but Tiks with his formidable/missile tackles can invite referees to yellow card him. Again I would like to recognise Topsy for his ability especially during the twilight of his playing career.

Florida (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 22:02
Topsy had little to do with our defensive frailties, their 8 had much to do with them. I believe I heard the commentators say he's off to Newcastle next season, if that's the case they look like they've got a gem.

As others have said our fitness and bench made a difference, personally I think bell did too. Looking forward to, but still nervous about next week.

Paul_D (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 22:30
Sorry but I disagree re Topsy. He flies out of the defensive line way too early every time, leaving a massive hole for the attacking player to run through. If he just held his position the attacking player would have a decision to make but by being so far out of position he just makes it easy for them.

Florida (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 22:39
Didn't see topsy fly out at all today, saw him aligned slightly off a couple of times, but no rushing out, but let's be honest by the time the ball is shipped out that way the damage is often done.

I believe there's a hop that big Joe will be fit for next week, apparently he had a very minor hamstring tear.

Blarney (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 05:02
I'd be tempted to start with Steele. McKibbon's been great this season but last night his passing was awful. Really messed up our attack. We looked a lot more controlled when Steele (and Robson - hope he stays for another year) came on.

Agree topsy's defence was poor and I m a big fan of lewington but he needs to spend this week practicing his catching an holding on to the ball!

Start with Court an Robson in the pack and let's scrum/maul them to death.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 06:08
I'd play TBC at 12 and move Fergus to 13 - Tiks is a card waiting to happen, and TBC will give us another play-maker.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 06:46
With our options at 10 next season, I can see a shift in the backs. I'd like to see TBC at 12 like the ford Farrell set up. Good play maker that will help with what can be a static backline. I'd like to see Williams at 13 to see what he can do, he'd be a handful running at some open space

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 06:51
Williams is injured unfortunately.

Agree with Shawshank. TBC to 12 and Fergus to 13. Tiks or Topsy on the wing (assuming Joe's not back). Wide defence is an issue with the latter two at 13 and 14. Could even bring Ransom back for the wing spot, but don't think they'd make that many changes.

Would also have Robson in for Jebb. Really decent shift from him off the bench last night.

HMRH (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 08:43
Cokanasiga isn't a better defender that Ojo and Bell
Missed Holmes for their second try. Having to cover across as we were out of shape Venter went mad because Lewington butchered a 2 on 1 and failed to see the man on his left , as we all pointed out very loudly to the TV

Babs O (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 08:46
Our defensive issues in the 1st half came from missing first up tackles from Yorkshire first phase ball meaning Marshall was dragged in and left gaping holes in midfield. The line breaks Yorkshire made all came through the centre channels. We addressed it 2nd half thankfully. I'd be surprised if they changed anything for the 2nd leg at this point unless its down to injury. No risks. 80 mins to achieve our ultimate goal this season.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 08:57
My comment about Williams becoming a 13 was aimed at next season. They can all defend, it was poor positional play from everyone that created the problems. It stemmed from poor first up tackles. Why try and bounce players or turn them over in the contact, just get them down, the mistakes come when teams get frustrated that their phase play isn't paying dividends. They made for too much yardage with each carry

Griff (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 09:05
The change in the second half of our tackling was marked. In the first half one defender tried to bash the runner backwards and often slipped-off and let the guy make more yards. In the second we committed two tacklers, first defender stopped the progress - wrapping the runner, second guy wrapped the ball and forced the runner back (often attempting a choke). The results were much better. If YC try the same blitz next week I suspect they'll have a much harder time.

I have to say I thought YC played a canny game, they were head and shoulders above the team we've played earlier in the season. We need to be better and have them shut-down by half-time at home or it's going to be a very nervy evening.

Steelman (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 15:59
I think that we miss a trick by not starting with Steele at 9, who is noticebly more abrasive in the tackle than mckibben.Horses for courses and Carnegie are a very heavy track, and we had too many fancy dans out on Wednesday, and were a couple of refereeing calls away from losing.

Strom (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 13:26
Weather forecast for Wed around 9 p.m. : 22 deg. C , wind ~ 8km/h, 2% chance of precipitation.

Good news for a team that plays better in the better weather, i.e. us. (Sm151)

HMRH (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 14:01
Same starting xv and same bench would do for me

20 May, 2017 22:31
Maybe we could put Tonks in the 12 spot and have Mulchrone at 13. My backs for the game would be

Bell 15
Lewi 14
Mulchrone 13
Tonks 12?
Ransom 11
Marshall 10
Steele 9

Same forwards.

Steelman (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 05:26
Quote:
London Irish 'til I die
Maybe we could put Tonks in the 12 spot and have Mulchrone at 13. My backs for the game would be
Bell 15
Lewi 14
Mulchrone 13
Tonks 12?
Ransom 11
Marshall 10
Steele 9

Same forwards.
Like it, Honky would fill that ****y great hole that they kept running through
And Ransom must be bursting to go,he was good enough for Sarries last season.

orsoncart (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 06:00
Quote:
Steelman
Quote:
London Irish 'til I die
Bell 15
Lewi 14
Mulchrone 13
Tonks 12?
Ransom 11
Marshall 10
Steele 9

Same forwards.
Like it, Honky would fill that ****y great hole that they kept running through
And Ransom must be bursting to go,he was good enough for Sarries last season.

I wouldn't make three personnel and one positional change to a team that had won by eleven points, before the most important game of the season

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2017 06:03 by orsoncart.

Paul_D (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 08:00
The only change I'd make would be Joe Cocker in for Topsy, assuming he's fit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net