rugbyunion
Latest News:

London double header
antoinog (IP Logged)
28 May, 2017 11:24
How we've missed thee!

Now that we're back in the Prem, I take it we will have the pleasure of participating in the double header at Twickenham again. I suspect this will create mixed feelings for members of this messageboard!

(Sm100)

Re: London double header
Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2017 12:14
I'm not a fan of it to be honest, but it does make rhe club a tidy sum.

HMRH (IP Logged)
28 May, 2017 12:30
We need the money and i actually quite like them although winning would make me like them even more!

Xprop (IP Logged)
28 May, 2017 18:47
If there is an LDH I won't be there. It's just too much hassle getting there and back. Getting too old for standing up for an hour in a packed train, but if it makes much needed revenue for the club I accept it has to happen.

GHA (IP Logged)
28 May, 2017 19:19
If it makes the club a tidy sum maybe we should play more games away from the Madstad...

colin_m (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 19:29
Quote:
GHA
If it makes the club a tidy sum maybe we should play more games away from the Madstad...

(Sm159) (Sm118)

Jonny_C (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 22:02
Can we supporters hold a referendum on LDHEXIT? Or at least a pool on this forum 🤔

Alphacat (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 22:47
I like the LDH personally smiling smiley

Paul_D (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 23:12
I hate it. It's a horrible, false occasion totally created for the tv audience. If it generates money for the club then great but I certainly won't attend. The Twickenham experience is just horrible. Over priced rubbish food. Over priced rubbish beer for which you have to queue for 30 minutes and 90% of the people there are there more for the beer than the rugby. No thanks.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 00:03
I used to hate it but missed it last season, oddly enough.
Will go this year and probably remember why I hated it.

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

HMRH (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 06:28
Quote:
Paul_D
I hate it. It's a horrible, false occasion totally created for the tv audience. If it generates money for the club then great but I certainly won't attend. The Twickenham experience is just horrible. Over priced rubbish food. Over priced rubbish beer for which you have to queue for 30 minutes and 90% of the people there are there more for the beer than the rugby. No thanks.

Lets hope we don't make the play off final next season then or you'll miss it.

waltham (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 07:56
There have already been requests as to whether we'll be re-running a coach trip and car park party if there is a LDH next season...It does mean we can avoid the over-priced food and beer etc and avoid the queues. (Sm42) All welcome as ever if we do run it.

The Sligo Rover (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 07:58
Vote LDHEXIT.

RodB (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 08:32
According to big Bob last Saturday, it's against Quins.....so assume it'll be a home game for us then ....
And sarries vs saints....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2017 11:48 by RodB.

Griff (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 10:14
Quote:
Paul_D
I hate it. It's a horrible, false occasion totally created for the tv audience.

This is totally untrue. The DH was created, mostly by Pat Coyne for LI (he was commercial director at the time), in order to make more money than the traditional opening matches of the season.

At the time the season opener would get a crowd of between 8 and 10K for two of the four "London" teams - all of us except Quins had to hire our own ground and I believe the RFU gave the use of Twickenham for little or no cost (I've no idea if that continues, I doubt it).

The initial LDH got a crowd of 51K, some of whom were cheap tickets but a lot were business that wouldn't have gone to the traditional fixture. It was not televised (and it's my belief that the clubs made moves to put Sky off so they could sell more tickets). With reduced rent costs this meant the fixture made it's four partners a reasonable wedge.

Quins obviously made the least, since they still had to pay for an empty stadium (although they can open it for parking and entertainment) and so they dropped-out. Wasps have, I believe, done the same since their move to Coventry. Which leaves us and Saracens sharing the purse and giving up a home game in return. If we can get crowds of ~50K in then we probably make around twice to three times what we get for a normal home game. This is guesswork, though, I've no idea of the actual figures. I talked to Pat when he was first making it happen and there were pound signs in his eyes so it was, and I supect still is, a good opportunity for us.

With Saracens ground being a bit awkward to get to and them not pulling-in massive crowds (depsite all that success) I can see the LDH continuing, maybe not with Quins or Wasps but whoever we draw in the fixtures (makes no difference for other teams if they travel to Reading or London). Once we're at Brentford I'd guess we're still renting (despite the original promise that we'll own nothing from BFC has backed that assertion up) so it will still be viable (especially if the RFU are still discounting the HQ rental).

Fursa (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 12:32
If it makes the club a tidy sum , why is it will 'quins only take part if they are the away team?

Griff (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 13:14
I've already addressed that above. To turn it round, if it doesn't make the club any money why do we do it?

Paul_D (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 13:24
Interesting info there Griff, thanks thumbs down

Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 14:31
If it's Quins and we are at home (because they are always away, does that mean it will be an ST game?

RodB (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 14:42
I assume so Jon. That's the way it used to work.

RodB (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 16:42
2nd Sept. according to Richmond council

ardoyneirish (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 17:34
Just got an email from LI confirming we are taking part in the double header next season

Fursa (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 18:03
The LDH is a home game and is included in the ST

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 21:52
In the season we got relegated we played 13 away AP games - 11 normal away games plus 2 "home Games" - DLH and New Jersey/ New York.

I would prefer the club did not add to the number of away games in any season even if it let us play at Twickers and we get onto Sky.

When people say the DLH is a good cash cow they should ask themselves how much relegation cost LI.

Come on you Irish

Paul

Alphacat (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 22:04
I still think it's a nice change from 6000 people spread across two stands in the Madejski generating very little atmosphere at all.

Speaking of which, having the entire west stand full for the final generated amazing atmosphere, I hope that one day we can home to achieve that spread across the two stands.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 22:06
Quote:
paulm1953
In the season we got relegated we played 13 away AP games - 11 normal away games plus 2 "home Games" - DLH and New Jersey/ New York.
I would prefer the club did not add to the number of away games in any season even if it let us play at Twickers and we get onto Sky.

When people say the DLH is a good cash cow they should ask themselves how much relegation cost LI.

You think we got relegated because we played the double header?

Florida (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 22:15
Correlation does not imply causation.

We played the LDH for 10 seasons and didn't get related. How much revenue do you think we got from those seasons? How many new fans did we attract from playing those fixtures in front of large numbers and by being on the TV?

01 June, 2017 08:33
Quote:
Florida
How many new fans did we attract from playing those fixtures in front of large numbers and by being on the TV?

Clearly none. We got an abysmal 1,700 when we played Rotherham. Our attendance has nose dived and frankly, I'm looking forward to 6,000 people spread over two stands generating little atmosphere. The Yorks game was incredible and was certainly the best atmosphere at an Irish game I've ever been to, but for TV's sake we need to have more than one stand.

Demandred (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 10:17
Club email just received confirming the LDH

Sat 2nd Sept, us and Sarries as the home teams. Opponents announced with all the other fixtures on Fri 7 July

Griff (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 10:19
Fun bus Waltham? G'wan etc.

ardoyneirish (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 10:36
Quote:
Demandred
Club email just received confirming the LDH
Sat 2nd Sept, us and Sarries as the home teams. Opponents announced with all the other fixtures on Fri 7 July

I seen the graphic on he email and assumed we were against Sarries and thought that was a great start to the season!!! Thankfully not...

I hope the fixture gods are kind to us and we get one of the bottom sides instead of Chiefs or Wasps....

A good start is paramount this year, we can't do another season and not win a game until December amd expect to stay up...

waltham (IP Logged)
23 June, 2017 23:03
Quote:
Griff
Fun bus Waltham? G'wan etc.

Anyone else interested? Haven't contacted Horsemans yet or worked out catering and booze costs etc: however I suspect we'd be charging about £30 per head

Clontarf (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 13:03
I've got a season ticket but have received no communication from London Irish about the Double Header.

If I go on the London-Irish site and follow links I end on the England Rugby/Ticketmaster website.

Anybody know anymore about it. As a home game I assume the tickets are included in the season ticket.

MattM (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 13:14
yes, it is included, there was an email at least a week ago inviting people to select their tickets.

Sponsoring Matt Kouris again for the 2017/18 season.

Usually found tweeting gibberish (via @MattMerritt)

Griff (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 13:18
Drop me an email Clontarf and I'll forward you my email from Irish so you know how to get the tickets. I suggest while you're doing it you make sure they have your contact details.

griff@londonirish.org

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 10:49
Harlequins in the double header!

Strom (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 11:23
Anyone able to buy tickets from the RFU site?

Quote:
TICKETS
London Irish general sale tickets are available by logging in below.

Logged in and got

Quote:
WE'RE SORRY!
Unfortunately, this time you don't have the correct privileges on your account to purchase tickets for this match. Why not return to ticket home and try another match?

(Sm147)

07 July, 2017 11:26
Look at the number at the back of your season ticket and call them. Always easier to do it on the phone rather than online with London Irish.

Strom (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 11:40
Quote:
Props are not stupid
Look at the number at the back of your season ticket and call them. Always easier to do it on the phone rather than online with London Irish.

Thanks. I see now - it's a restricted sale. Not "general sale" at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

London Irish Poll

What do you think of this poll?

See results > Submit >>