rugbyunion
Latest News:

Tedious Haka
Shawshank (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 08:30
It's getting longer and longer each time you see it.

Very, very boring now.

Re: Tedious Haka
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 11:36
I like it. Nothing wrong with a bit of culture and harmless banter. A nice touch from the kiwis for the minute silence.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 12:02
I thought it was nice to see a new one!

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

cjm. (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 18:19
With Shawshank. The one this morning was tedious and lost all impact due to it. Do none of them jump in the air to signal the end anymore?

I'm sure they just used to do the humpty-dumpty one, now like everything else, they have to come up with "new and exciting" flavours.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 18:21
I'm thinking what about Morris Dancing, with a hey nony nony hey nony noo!

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

waltham (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 23:03
I also liked it

Jester (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 09:14
Well past it's sell by date IMHO

DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 22:47
It was good to see a different Haka but it didn't half drag on. We're they trying to bore the Lions to sleep?

FrTed (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 08:13
When the end of the haka comes (if they can spot it) the Lions should hold up scorecards as to how good (or bad) it was compared to the endless other ones they are seeing on this tour.

The Sligo Rover (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 15:45
3.9, 3.8, 4.0, 3.9 & 4.1. HA HA.

Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 17:15
It was way better in the 60's and 70's when it was 1 Maori and 14 rather embarrassed looking white immigrant farmers! I am sure someone cleverer than I could find the relevant Youtube clip?

Live in West Wales, work in England, supporting Scotland and London Irish

Fanski (IP Logged)
28 June, 2017 13:22
Why the whinging if you do not like it dont watch it - simples

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
28 June, 2017 14:01
Quote:
Fanski
Why the whinging if you do not like it dont watch it - simples

Gee Dr Fanski what a fantastic idea but it seems that there could be a chance of missing the kick off as it is performed just before the game starts, but maybe they could just do it in the changing room, before taking to the field I believe this was acceptable one time.
-simpleser

631-563-9892

GHA (IP Logged)
28 June, 2017 14:58
Quote:
LI Bohemian
it seems that there could be a chance of missing the kick off as it is performed just before the game starts, but maybe they could just do it in the changing room, before taking to the field I believe this was acceptable one time.
-simpleser

I've found that the games tend to kick off at the time they are advertised, so maybe just turn on ten seconds before - i.e. 8:34:50. There's even a handy yet stupid / cringy countdown to help.

I wonder if the team who had NZ perform the haka in the changing room regretted it

[news.bbc.co.uk]

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
28 June, 2017 16:16
I think you'll find they chose to perform it in the changing room and break with the tradition in a way that suited them, (especially in motivation terms) them poor all blacks they does nuffin wrong and gets picked on all the time, just cause they love winning at rugby at any cost.

631-563-9892

GHA (IP Logged)
28 June, 2017 18:08
They broke with tradition because Wales wanted to break with tradition, didn't they?

Shawshank (IP Logged)
28 June, 2017 18:11
Very much so.

Back in the day the Haka took about 20 secs and we all then moved on to the match.

These days some of the Hakas have gone on for at least 90 secs.

The sight of various white blokes pretending to be Maori, sticking out their tongues and generally comporting themselves in an idiotically belligerent manner, becomes pretty tedious...

(Sm143)

Finno (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 12:44
I agree it's become tedious also. The interesting thing for me is that the ABs seriously considered binning it in 2006 as they thought it had become irrelevant and they just wanted to get on with the game. But apparently they created a new haka that they could all buy into and it survived. As explained in that recent excellent Sky documentary on what rugby means to Kiwis!

Griff (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 13:44
Interestingly it was the new haka that turned me off it. They sold it to Adidas for an commercial and them doing it was just an advert for the brand. It was the same time they started banging-on about everyone respecting it and that particular hypocrisy was enough for me.

I noted on Saturday that they've now sold it again to some watch company for an advert... <sigh>

AlecW (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 15:28
I'll probably bring the wrath of the Gods down on my head from my friends with Kiwi origins, but I'm with Griff and Shawshank...

Oh, and Hugh, here you are!

(Sm42)

Finno (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 16:41
My favourite Haka! We still lost though, but 23-6 wasn't too bad after that!

[youtu.be]

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 23:32
Quote:
GHA
They broke with tradition because Wales wanted to break with tradition, didn't they?

Is this the traditional 2006 Haka of that year?
Or the one before.
I know it was not a publicity stunt, because the All Blacks would never sell their traditional heritage to, say, a sports manufacturer or a brand of watch, maybe if they lose on penalties one day they will be in touch with a pizza brand.

631-563-9892

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

London Irish Poll

What do you think of this poll?

See results > Submit >>