rugbyunion
Latest News:

Staying up?!
11 July, 2017 18:21
Just out of interest, what's everyone's predictions for next season? Seeing as the fixtures are out everyone's perceptions have probably changed.

My head tells me 11th/12th and my heart tells me we could surprise everyone and get into the top 8. Are we genuinely good enough to compete? Will Venter's master tactics take us to survival? I have no idea what to expect!!

Re: Staying up?!
Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 19:00
8th in a close season with 6th to 12th within a game of each other at the end

HMRH (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 19:31
Let you know after the first few games - tough league

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 19:31
10-12th for me.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 19:53
11th (hopefully) anything more than that is a very pleasant surprise

SirBurger (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 20:06
Hopefully 11th. Worcester are the only squad that on paper we are of a similar standard to, but some of the other sides are declining forces and hopefully will underperform.

waltham (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 23:19
If the new lads can combine well with the "old" lads quickly, then I reckon we might hover around the half-way league area...So - My prediction is 7/8th by the end of the season...(Sm149)

Alphacat (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 00:26
It's easy to say that, but you then have to look at the quality coming in to other teams and it matches or is better than our own income [of players]. So I'm not overly optimistic.

HMRH (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 05:26
Survival by any means will do. Other than Bristol and maybe Yorks no club really has a shot of making the step up. Time to end the promotion/relegation between the Premiership and a league of 2 others

Finno (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 07:22
11th with a memorable 'scalp' or two along the way, will do me fine for this season, and hopefully 'push on' in the following season.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 11:05
10th I think is reasonable. LBPs are going to be vital. keep picking up points and we should be safe.

ardoyneirish (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 11:20
Quote:
Jamiepep1
10th I think is reasonable. LBPs are going to be vital. keep picking up points and we should be safe.

Totally agree, if we manage to stay competitive and get LBP's it will make all the difference... also with 2 very good premiership kickers all points we missed when it was Shane or Noakes kicking we hopefully won't have the same problem this season...

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 12:00
Quote:
HMRH
Survival by any means will do. Other than Bristol and maybe Yorks no club really has a shot of making the step up. Time to end the promotion/relegation between the Premiership and a league of 2 others

I dont quite agree with this. I do agree that the championship needs sorting out and funding but I think we are in a better place at the start of this year then we would have been had we not gone down. Getting rid of the playoffs is huge and a plus but if you are good enough you will come back straight away now .... and better for it.

Time will tell! COYI!

waltham (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 12:09
Quote:
fatlad76
Quote:
HMRH

I dont quite agree with this. I do agree that the championship needs sorting out and funding but I think we are in a better place at the start of this year then we would have been had we not gone down. Getting rid of the playoffs is huge and a plus but if you are good enough you will come back straight away now .... and better for it.

Time will tell! COYI!

This used to be my view as well: however, there's a very strong case for ring-fencing to provide the assurance investors (and other financiers) need for the long term and also, players/staff/coaches etc. With the current system the 12th Prem and 1st placed Champ teams could end up as having a long-term yoyo status which benefits no one but would end up effectively insulating the other Prem squads.
Sadly I'm now of the opinion that Prem expansion and ring-fencing is the only rational way forward. This would also enable Champ and Prem teams to establish long-term relationships aiding squad and player development paths.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 14:42
One of the biggest benefits that i would see for ring fencing as well as the obvious financial security of investment, would be the opportunities for young players to play. So many teams are fighting for survival they cant take a chance on throwing young players in so early. The Southern Hemisphere play them very young, even in the pro 12 the age seems lower. They do not have to worry about the consequences of relegation.

Would big Joe have been played if we were fighting for survival in the Premiership last year? Maybe, maybe not. The RFU are talking about using the championship as a breeding ground for young English players, it would be easier on the clubs if they had a ring fenced league, also would not have to be so reliant on paying over the odds for S15 players.

HMRH (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 16:11
Ring fenced with a full second team league would provide all the benefits. The championship will never be a real feeder league as there just aren't enough teams capable of challenging. RFU will not fund it nor will the Prem clubs.

I loved our time in The Championship but it's a league of 2 with a lot of other teams all doing their best to compete without the financial clout nor the grounds to do so.

Finno (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 16:21
Quote:
waltham
Quote:
fatlad76
Quote:
HMRH

Time will tell! COYI!

This used to be my view as well: however, there's a very strong case for ring-fencing to provide the assurance investors (and other financiers) need for the long term and also, players/staff/coaches etc. With the current system the 12th Prem and 1st placed Champ teams could end up as having a long-term yoyo status which benefits no one but would end up effectively insulating the other Prem squads.
Sadly I'm now of the opinion that Prem expansion and ring-fencing is the only rational way forward. This would also enable Champ and Prem teams to establish long-term relationships aiding squad and player development paths.

I agree, sadly it's the only real way forward..

PV (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 19:17
This is going to be more a testing of our coaches than the squad imho. If they can handle the demands of the Premiership and respond effectively when they're backs are against the wall with smart selections and a game plan to keep us up, we'll survive. But I can't see us flourishing next season, I hope I'm proved wrong

dooj106 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 21:10
For me, the best way forward is to increase the prem to 14 and then at the end of the season have a 2 leg playoff between 14th in prem and top of championship. That not only effectively ring fences the prem and thus brings all the associated benefits already mentioned, but also keeps open a route to the prem for a championship side to come up if their is a side ready for the prem

GHA (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 13:56
Nervous about some of our new signings, hoping for 11th upwards obviously.

Mark62 (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 16:40
Would hope that ring fencing or not alarm bells will start ringing if there are no points well before Christmas. Don't expect to win every game but do expect them to compete in every game.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 17:26
Quote:
GHA

Nervous,in that you think that they are not very good signings?

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 19:38
Quote:
ardoyneirish
Quote:
Jamiepep1

Totally agree, if we manage to stay competitive and get LBP's it will make all the difference... also with 2 very good premiership kickers all points we missed when it was Shane or Noakes kicking we hopefully won't have the same problem this season...

With Bell and Marshall we will hopefully pick up points in close games. This was one of the many reasons why we were relegated. I am still trying to remove the thought from my brain of Tonks managing to miss a conversion kick against Sale at the Madstad right in front of the posts!!!!

GHA (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 14:00
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
GHA

Nervous,in that you think that they are not very good signings?

Hi Bazzo,

I've replied through PM as I don't want to upset or offend people on here...

HMRH (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 14:23
Well that's no fun - spill the beans

GHA (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 15:25
Some good, hoping there aren't too many busts among that group as the majority aren't getting any younger. Some average in average teams. Some not exactly pulling up trees in poor teams, and one who may have been promising a few years back but has had a fair few injury issues by the sounds of things.

More cast-offs rather than players other teams don't want to lose, which has become a theme at the Irish unfortunately (for whatever reason). I was more excited by the relegation season intake rather than this one, but fingers crossed nevertheless and looking forward to the LDH.

Happy now?

:p

HMRH (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 16:47
Happier - where's the fun in a message board without opinions? Anyway without going in names I think that we need some experience and with some Premiership knowledge. The SH lads have played at a high standard albeit not always regularly and coaching can make a huge difference and a change of club can work wonders - James Short as an example.

Blarney (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 15:21
Quote:
GHA
More cast-offs rather than players other teams don't want to lose, which has become a theme at the Irish unfortunately (for whatever reason).

The obvious one? Money.

If you're expecting a newly relegated team, with small crowds and no billionaire backer to be able to poach prime players from other top teams then you are delusional.

IMO, given our current situation, I think signing the current Scotland starting looshead, a current Italian international, a current Georgian international and a winger who has scored 100 tries in 130 odd games for one of the best teams in France is pretty damn good business.

I think our squad is stronger than last years, and that's all you could ever ask for really. We have the forward pack and the kicker to stay up, the defence will be the key area to improve.

Blarney (IP Logged)
15 July, 2017 16:37
To illustrate my point, this could be our first choice 23 next season - I defy anyone to claim it's not stronger all round!

1. Reid
2. Paice
3. Franks
4. Paulo
5. De Chaves
6. Coman
7. Cowan
8. Lomidze

9. McKibbon
10. Marshall
11. Nalaga
12. Williams
13. McLean
14. Lewington
15. Bell

16. Hobbs-Aweyomi
17. du Plessis
18. Fainga'a
19. McNally
20. Treviranus
21. Steele
22. Mulchrone
23. Tikoirotuma

GHA (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 12:56
Delusional, thanks Blarney. I get we aren't the richest club (although we found the funds for O'Connor, Franks, Maitland for example) but I also think the money we do have sometimes hasn't been spent wisely... Sa, Van Der Linde, Waldouck, Alex Gray, Goode, Warwick, Franze...

As I said before, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and looking forward to the LDH

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 14:04
GHA - I'd say only CJ was a poor choice from those (Franze was before my time). Gray was a good youngster who didn't kick on, Waldouck ditto but with injuries too and he seems to have been OK at Falcons.

Warwick and Goode changed their minds wicked we couldn't have expected. Sa could have been good but was always injured. Look at Tigers with Toomua and/or Tuilagi to see that we probably made the right call in acting sooner not later.

I'd suggest that Nick and the Doc have made sensible signings that haven't broken the bank and will buy into the new team ethic. The majority have proven to be consistently capable in the top tiers of club rugby even if they aren't superstars; some may prove to be top drawer but none should be worse than average.We've also got a few who haven't played at the top level (both signings and academy) who will hopefully step up.

It'll be a tough season but we've signed experienced older players to see us through tight games. Relegation may come down to a scrum that our gnarly front row win or an older winger sneaking in for a try that a younger player may not have the nouse to pull off. If we do go down, we can reassess the approach and consider our options, including playing an academy side with 2 or 3 "star" signings if we can afford it.

16 July, 2017 17:29
I think the guys we have signed are a good fit, and we need to make sure to not sign too many players so the squad doesn't gel. I think we've signed a good amount, and the preseason games we've got will be perfect for getting the squad used to playing together.

Alphacat (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 02:21
Worcester and Sale are the teams to target for me. I think Newcastle have finally picked up steam and will be nowhere near the bottom of the table come the end of the season.

MattM (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 08:46
Quote:
Alphacat
Worcester and Sale are the teams to target for me. I think Newcastle have finally picked up steam and will be nowhere near the bottom of the table come the end of the season.

I agree about Newcastle. I remain convinced that Northampton will struggle this season too so I reckon we might get a scalp there.

Sponsoring Ollie Hassell-Collins for the 2017/18 season.

Usually found tweeting gibberish (via @MattMerritt)

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 14:57
Quote:
Blarney
To illustrate my point, this could be our first choice 23 next season - I defy anyone to claim it's not stronger all round!
1. Reid
2. Paice
3. Franks
4. Paulo
5. De Chaves
6. Coman
7. Cowan
8. Lomidze

9. McKibbon
10. Marshall
11. Nalaga
12. Williams
13. McLean
14. Lewington
15. Bell

16. Hobbs-Aweyomi
17. du Plessis
18. Fainga'a
19. McNally
20. Treviranus
21. Steele
22. Mulchrone
23. Tikoirotuma

Its hard to argue against that when the likes of Cokanasiga and Ransom (2 stand out players last year) aren't even included. Much much stronger squad this year.

Austin1 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 00:36
Is the squad one that is designed just to keep us up while we continue to reignite the best source of players we have, i.e. the Academy? We've already seen an example of the focus on the Academy in the players used in the Sevens. I think (hope) that the plan is to produce quality home grown players - like we used to - so that we can strengthen the squad from within thus not actually needing a billionaire. If I'm right (the wife says that'll be a first) then just staying up is the result we need with anything better a bonus.

rugbygibbo (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 11:36
Inclined to agree, although I suspect that money will talk in terms of ever progressing beyond a yo yo club. That Brand looked like a touch of class in the 7s, hope he gets some game time this year

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 12:39
Newcastle fan very much in peace.

Our experience of a one year dip into the Championship was not a good one. You certainly don't come back stronger, that cobblers is a myth these days. There is a massive difference between the speed & intensity of the way the game is played in the Championship & Premiership, and your whole squad will be basically out of practise with the Premiership game. It will take a lot of hard work to get them back up to speed, and don't be surprised to see them looking knackered well before the final whistle goes for the first part of the season. It is disheartening for the supporters to put it mildly, but you just have to keep the faith & keep backing them with everything you have got.

It is pretty much essential to have at least one team having a mare of a start to the season, so that by the time you get up to speed you are not so far behind that the race is already lost. I am hoping that our decent performance last season wasn't a flash in the pan, and I think Gary Gold has finally instilled some order into the Wuss squad, so they may do better than they have been. Sale and Glos are the two that look potentially wobbly to me, for touchy-feely reasons rather than good/bad signings, but it is all utterly unpredictable.

Sincere best wishes from oop north, and hope your club has good vibes.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 13:23
We could have done with playing some more competitive pre season games instead of paying the same teams we played last season. Playing one of the regions and maybe one of the provinces. Surely one thing have over our disastrous relegation season is that we know our strongest team. I think we started so badly that season because it was nearly a different lineup each week.....and the bath game red card. Plenty of the squad have more prem experience than championship. A few internationals as well so I'd like to think with a good pre season fitness won't be as much of a problem. Here's to hoping.

Blarney (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 14:12
If I were a betting man, I'd put a cheeky fiver on Glos to really struggle this season. On paper they've recruited strongly but they've a history of struggling to get star signings to gel. They were very inconsistent last year and now it appears they're trading in their most dangerous try scorer for a lock with a dodgy injury history. With The loss of Kalamafoni their pack looks even more underpowered than it was before.

They appear to be banking on Ackerman to work wonders, but we know all about big-reputation SH coaches coming in and being the saviour don't we?

HMRH (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 16:31
I think Glos will be ok but agree it may take a while to find their feet especially with a new coach. The Lions play quite an offloading style so be interesting to see how JA adapts to English Prem - like him as a coach so provided botvat our expense hope they do ok. That league is going to be tough and I don't see many weaker sides but as they team stepping up we will be under pressure.

Ring fencing will improve rugby in England, IMO, and I think the semi professional idea in Scotland is the right move there. It suits no one to yo- to and one imagines Bris will be home and dry.

Irish need investment and they need it now

SteveS (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 19:53
As ever it all depends on whether the pack is strong enough to avoid being bullied - I think we all knew in our hearts quite early on 2 years ago that it wasn't. Backs to me look ok with good signings. The Newcastle fan has hit the nail on the head about coming back stronger myths. - would be a mad blast from past if it turns into Venter v Gold arm wrestle

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 21:58
Just wondering if Saints may struggle this season with key players getting older. They didn't have a great year last season.

I also think Bath will struggle especially with George Ford's move to Leicester and Freddie Burns to Bath.

Come on you Irish

Paul

Blarney (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 22:30
Fortunately, I think the pack is now the strongest part of our team. All last season they looked like a well-drilled cohesive unit, strong at the ruck with a bunch of very strong tacklers in there. The one concern was lack of ball-carrying options - hopefully new signings like Lomidze and Pauli will help there.

My biggest worry at the end of last year was a lack of shape both in defence and attack amongst the back line. I'm hoping that another year of playing together and consistent selection will alleviate that.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 23:41
In terms of set peice, our pack actually did a pretty decent job the season we got relegated. And our pack has probably got stronger this year so I thibk we will be alright. As mentioned above we still lack those ball carriers but hopefully the likes of Lomidze can combat this.
The backs is where I think our weakness is. They are all good players individually but sometimes seem to slack off as a unit and as blarney said above, they lose shape and direction in defence and attack. Hopefully this is something the coaches have been working on

Finno (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 07:02
Agreed Hugo, as I said on another thread..

'My major worry for this season is at centre, particularly defensively. Every week we'll have to defend down those channels against tier 1 current internationals or just below. That's where real damage gets done in the Premiership. You might get away with lesser players in other positions but not at centre.

Is what we've got good enough? I don't think McLean is the answer, perhaps Nalaga if he's played there and not on the wing.

I do worry, people are seriously going to have to step up in those positions....here's hoping!'

HMRH (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 07:03
Can't see Bath struggling too many very good players and Burns a great 10 that will be there all season with no England calls. Blackadders second year too so more experienced in the Prem. Saints - interesting season ahead, if they start poorly they might struggle but they have money to invest although Picamoles will be a big loss

SirBurger (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 08:57
Tiks stepped up well at 13 last season and Fergus has played there a lot previously. A centre partnership of Williams-Mulchrone would be rebust and solid defensively. Not a big fan of this talk of moving Nalaga (who has barely played there) to 13.

02 August, 2017 09:58
Nalaga is 6 foot 3 or something - he's what we've been crying out for as a centre for too many years. He'll be a beast and in my opinion he has to play every game at 13; as stated above we're going head to head with Tier 1 internationals and we need a quality centre. I hope he does well.

C'mon Irish

olw131 (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 10:03
Mustn't forget Hearn and especially Tom Fowlie!

There was a game early on in our last Premiership season, one of the very few he was fit for, in which he put an absolutely epic defensive shift along with Williams. Think it was Sarries away. Just needs some confidence but there is no doubt he is physically up to it.

He has all the qualities to be a top class 13 IMO, it's just whether he can play himself into some form.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 10:04
Someone who hasn't played 13 for years 'has to start every game' at 13 for us. Don't see the logic in that. Plus, the 7s commentary indicated he had arrived overweight and wasn't even training with us yet.

02 August, 2017 10:12
Would go with Williams/Mulchrone myself. Tiks has filled in well at 13 and will likely get more gametime there this season, but his defensive positioning would worry me in the prem.

Big season for Fowlie to try and show he belongs at this level if he gets the opportunity. Hasn't happened for him after showing early promise. Few injuries certainly haven't helped, but when he has played, he's not really looked the part.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 10:15
Hope Fowlie comes good, but starting to look like his best bet is on the wing for me. Definitely promise there though, so won't write him off yet. Make or break season for him though.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 10:28
Would certainly start with a centre partnership of Williams and mulchrone. You know you're going to get a very solid defensive display from both of them and both are able to get over the gain line with Williams in particular able to offload out the tackle.
I remember last time in the prem we played Worcester at home with tiks named on the wing and hearn at outside centre. Whenever we lined up in defence we would stick to that formation but in attack hearn and tiks would switch around to allow tiks to get his hands on the ball so perhaps we could try this with nalaga this year.
To mention the earlier point about fowlie, I'm a big fan of his and think he can be a big hit at 13 but he just needs to stay fit, so hopefully a full pre season and he will be fit and firing.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 10:38
Personally I'd send fowlie to a championship side for a season. He's not getting near this match day squad with the lack of playing time he's had. Let him get back involved in games every week as then see how he gets on. We have a number of options at centre and wing. He needs game time to get his confidence and sharpness back.

SteveS (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 14:02
All the newspapers and rugby mags will be doing their predictions this month, in a few weeks or so. Be interesting to see if any of them don't have us 12th

waltham (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 22:00
Quote:
jimbo800
Personally I'd send fowlie to a championship side for a season. He's not getting near this match day squad with the lack of playing time he's had. Let him get back involved in games every week as then see how he gets on. We have a number of options at centre and wing. He needs game time to get his confidence and sharpness back.

much as I like Tom Fowlie...I can't help thinking he's too small to be an effective centre...or even wing...Maybe at Full back?

Blarney (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 07:28
Personally I think Fowlie's chance is gone. He hasn't overly impressed whenever I've seen him play - not quick enough for wing, not strong enough for centre. He's not 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice in any position and he's just a shirt-filler at the moment. Others will say he's not had many chances due to injury but look at the comparison with Johnny Williams. From his first start, Williams looked the part at prem level (scored two tries against Wasps iirc). He too has suffered with injuries, but is picked whenever fit. Sometimes you either got it or you don't. I agree that a loan to a championship side for a season may be best for Fowlie.

03 August, 2017 08:16
Fowlie's definitely quick enough for a wing. Fairly big too, but just doesn't seem to be able to use his size and speed. Injury free run would certainly help confidence wise, but he may still struggle for opportunities.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 09:03
He is definitely quick enough - last season in Prem he chased down Jack Nowell who had a 10 metre head start on him.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 09:09
I think Fowlie is a good player with great potential. You can't expect every single player to come through the academy and instantly be in a Prem team week in week out. Yes some players can do that but others it takes time to adjust and find their ideal role, position, weight. I'm confident given time that he will come good but a loan spell at a champ side could be a great way to get him game time, perhaps dual registered if we still do that?

A williams-Fowlie centre combination for the future!!

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
03 August, 2017 09:18
He has had injuries but it's one of those situations where he's been absent so much that he'll have to work twice as hard to get the coaches to notice him again. The only way to do that is to play, which he won't do at Irish this season. Loan him out to somewhere he'll definitely get game time. He could end up another Ellis, apparent potential but not fulfilled

03 August, 2017 09:23
I don't really see him being loaned out this year. We are not overloaded with senior centres/wings and probably need the cover. Should still get gametime in LV and Europe at least and I think his contract is due to expire at the end of the coming season (hard to keep track though). I doubt he'll want to be away from the club in his last year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net