rugbyunion
Latest News:

Academies
Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
14 July, 2017 16:20
Found this interesting article on the Worcester forum. If the new generation set up can bear fruit, I think we'll be in a good position going forwards.

[alexshawsports.wordpress.com]

Re: Academies
waltham (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 07:37
Heck of a piece of research! No real surprise that our current % of home grown players is low.

Strom (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 09:20
^^ Yip.

Good work Alex Shaw.

Quote:
London Irish's Academy
Granted, 13.6% is a hideously low percentage of a squad to be homegrown, but it does come with the caveat that, prior to the club’s relegation, they were being picked clean of their best academy talent

I was wondering : it seemed odd to me that we've hired so many (11,12?) experienced players to bolster the Premiership squad when our Academy has done so well this year.

I think the management (Venterball downwards) have clocked that they're taking all the risks and others are getting all the reward.

Drip feed the youngsters in in small numbers, season 18-19 once the core team is defined (IMO).

Quin Kong (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 16:54
There seems to be a flaw to the premise of this article. Namely that length of time in an academy beats discovery. A better premise would be original discovery v 1st team experience v competition involved in. So someone in a academy who gets two run outs in an A league game is not rated but an academy player who then plays x number of internationals gets far higher. The sickener being if the player gets into England under 16's (for sake of argument) BEFORE joining an academy then he hasn't been talent spotted he's already BEEN spotted and so is less of a risk. So for example two second rows join an academy but one is released due to finances but goes on to international recognition it would be the original team who get the credit. It would even up the haves and have nots in rugby.

QUIN KONG

waltham (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 17:02
I get your point QK and I'm sure we could all suggest different ways to divvy up/analyse the data. Lets face it - LI has done it's share of Academy "poaching"in past seasons and also "let players go" who have done well elsewhere on their first, second or third career move. I wonder how/where the likes of Adam Thompstone sits in this data-set for example?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net