rugbyunion
Latest News:

Reality Check
Horticbm (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:06
I couldn't travel due to my illness, but I think the scoreline and the live commentry said it all.After the highs of Twickenham last week (but we did make it hard for ourselves at times) we were bought back to earth today and yet it wasn't their strongest team.Perhaps the pundits were correct with their original assessment of our chances. Exeter have only been in the Premiership for 7 years and they are the champions in that short of time, we have been in the Premiership bar last season since the beginning, with our only decent silverware coming from 2002.

Hopefully it was a hangover from last week or bad day at the office, but this has memories of our last season in the Premiership, overthrows, knock ons, kicking out on the full, losing our scrums on our put ins.......unforced errors all round sad smiley

 
Re: Reality Check
ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:24
Quote:
Horticbm
I couldn't travel due to my illness, but I think the scoreline and the live commentry said it all.After the highs of Twickenham last week (but we did make it hard for ourselves at times) we were bought back to earth today and yet it wasn't their strongest team.Perhaps the pundits were correct with their original assessment of our chances. Exeter have only been in the Premiership for 7 years and they are the champions in that short of time, we have been in the Premiership bar last season since the beginning, with our only decent silverware coming from 2002.
Hopefully it was a hangover from last week or bad day at the office, but this has memories of our last season in the Premiership, overthrows, knock ons, kicking out on the full, losing our scrums on our put ins.......unforced errors all round sad smiley

Calm down you muppet, 37-7 isn't an atrocious score line against the champions of England in poor conditions. It really doesn't matter how we do against the top 4+Bath. Sale & Newcastle away and Saints home will give us a very good barometer of where we are. Three winsby the end of the Newcastle game (incl Quins) will be very positive.

 
Re: Reality Check
Cornish boy (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:29
I didnt expect to win (of course I always was in hope!) but I do know that it isn't how we lost this match but how we learn from the mistakes and apply it to the matches targeted for a win that will define the rest of the season. I am sure NK and the rest of the coaching team are already on the case.

Anyway, drifting from highs to lows and back again are just part of the London Irish experience!

 
Re: Reality Check
Horticbm (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:32
You must use a strange barometer, I've used the same one forever and I've followed London Irish since the 70's.The Champions (only in the Premiership for 7 years) actually played in the same conditions as we did, or was you watching a different match?..forgot their achievements last year, did they match us for the amount of knock ons, losing own put ins, over throws, losing ball at the breakdown, these re errors for what ever reason we have played with over many seasons...

Not into Jim Henson

 
Re: Reality Check
NMB (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:34
It was frustrating to hear all the knock-ons etc but also seemed like they had to work hard for their tries with a lot of sustained pressure before scoring each one. The last few minutes were annoying because at 23-7 we had won the half and denied them a try bonus.

With Irish chasing more in the last minutes it was easier for Exeter to breach the try line with made the score line look worse.

In the end Irish definitely second best but not an indication of our impending doom. A lot of teams will face a similar fate at Exeter this season

 
Re: Reality Check
Blarney (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 17:59
Disappointing after the high of last week - but we weren't going to win down there anyway. A lbp would have been nice but I'll take no injuries and some lessons learned from the game. Home matches and targeted away games will be priority.

 
Re: Reality Check
Alphacat (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:00
Quote:
NMB
It was frustrating to hear all the knock-ons etc but also seemed like they had to work hard for their tries with a lot of sustained pressure before scoring each one. The last few minutes were annoying because at 23-7 we had won the half and denied them a try bonus.
With Irish chasing more in the last minutes it was easier for Exeter to breach the try line with made the score line look worse.

In the end Irish definitely second best but not an indication of our impending doom. A lot of teams will face a similar fate at Exeter this season

I wouldn't say they had to work hard for all - our defence was better but they did get a free one through a line break and one through an intercept pass later in the game.

 
Re: Reality Check
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:21
Odd games really played in pretty poor conditions. Scoreline was probably a little harsh with the two quick scores in the final minutes, but we were okay in patches.

Apart from a few lapses at set piece and the pen try against from the maul, the pack stood up pretty well. Defensively they were strong and the maul they got the penalty try from was the only one they got a proper shunt on with. Ex tried plenty of times to get the BP try that way and we sacked them every time.

The backs were another story for me. Just didn't look right and we really missed Fergus. defensively. Marshall and Bell were okay, but no one else really had a good enough game. Lots of errors (knock ons, bad passes, accidental offsides etc). Midfield probably needs looking at for next week as McLean/Hearn doesn't really offer enough for me either in defence or attack. Steele didn't have a great game and whilst McKibbin looked better he did throw a pretty bad interception for their BP try.

Not a great day at the office in a game I didn't expect anything from, but something to work with pack-wise.

 
Re: Reality Check
Nick4219 (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 18:42
Reality check, 2nd game of the season away from home against the champions of England in a place they have turned in to a fortress.

No doubt things didn't work as well as they could have but we shouldn't be too down hearted when we put it in to perspective.

The real test is on Friday away to Sale who were@#$%&on Friday against Newcastle and looks like them and us will have a point to prove.

Keep the faith!

COYI

 
Re: Reality Check
Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 19:30
Funny old game,we beat Quins last week who beat Glaws this who beat Exeter last week!!
COYI

 
Re: Reality Check
GHA (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 21:12
We need to start training as though games are 90 minutes long, because we love conceding in the last ten minutes. Did it a fair amount last season too

 
Re: Reality Check
jimbo800 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 00:23
It is what it is. We knew it would be a struggle. As long as we learn from it. We lost against the champs. Not the worst scorelines considering an intercept and last minute try. Move on, next game start again.

 
Re: Reality Check
Finno (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 08:44
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Odd games really played in pretty poor conditions. Scoreline was probably a little harsh with the two quick scores in the final minutes, but we were okay in patches.
Apart from a few lapses at set piece and the pen try against from the maul, the pack stood up pretty well. Defensively they were strong and the maul they got the penalty try from was the only one they got a proper shunt on with. Ex tried plenty of times to get the BP try that way and we sacked them every time.

The backs were another story for me. Just didn't look right and we really missed Fergus. defensively. Marshall and Bell were okay, but no one else really had a good enough game. Lots of errors (knock ons, bad passes, accidental offsides etc). Midfield probably needs looking at for next week as McLean/Hearn doesn't really offer enough for me either in defence or attack. Steele didn't have a great game and whilst McKibbin looked better he did throw a pretty bad interception for their BP try.

Not a great day at the office in a game I didn't expect anything from, but something to work with pack-wise.

Having been at the game, I think that's a good summation of affairs. I didn't think we were poor, just put under huge pressure by a better team, who had a strong wind at their backs in the first half, when the game was won.

Midfield was my real worry for the season before it started, and continues to be. McLean/Hearn didn't work and were cruelly exposed by Chiefs. Hearn left a gaping hole for one try, a bit like he did for Marchants try last week. We need a quick recovery from Fergus, Williams fit ASAP and Nalaga to play centre when he's ready..

 
Re: Reality Check
Yvanski (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 09:25
I went and thought we held our own for most of the second half.
I am mildly encouraged by our first away game at the home of the champions.
Lots to work on - I think our pack were pretty solid, good set piece. Agree with observations on the performance of midfield today.
Blair Cowan is just excellent.
A good learning experience for the team.
This team look like they are up for it and play for each other.
Keep it going Irish.

 
Re: Reality Check
asteps07 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 10:19
I have to say the negativity our second game isn't great form from you.

 
Re: Reality Check
HMRH (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 12:38
Exeter we're very good and we defended manfully at times as they dominated possession in the first half. I think we were shown up a few times but 2 years ago we would have surrendered and had people in the bin. Scrum was strong alsthough Sir didn't like what arris was doing and he took a few scrums to rectify it.

Their defence smothered us and we never really looked like scoring too many points. We forced it and that meant knock ons and having to try too hard.

Didn't think it was that bad and Chiefs won't lose many if any playing like that that at home.

 
Re: Reality Check
Heaf (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 13:23
Comments on the Chiefs' board are encouraging as they see LI as no pushover.

 
Re: Reality Check
tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 14:41
It may only be the second game of the season. But let's not sugar coat it. A 30 point deficit in any langauge is a humping... we weren't up to scratch. we will see how we turn it around next week.

 
Re: Reality Check
paulm1953 (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 09:58
Does anyone know when Johnny Williams will be match fit? Also is Fergus Mulchrone's hamstring injury likely to keep him sidelined for long. The centres are crucial to our future successes.



Come on you Irish

Paul

 
Re: Reality Check
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:25
Johnny Williams seemed to be on the bench at the weekend. Likely as a travelling reserve, which suggests he's pretty much ready to go.

At least I'm hoping that's the case



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 10:30 by Margin_Walker.

 
Re: Reality Check
Florida (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 10:47
Williams is starting in the A league game tonight!


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?