rugbyunion
Latest News:

Alex lewington
Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 11:02
Sarries leading the race to sign him according to TRP.

Re: Alex lewington
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 12:08
They can keep their mits off him!

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Florida (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 12:19
I didn't think you were allowed to talk to a player until January.

Hopefully we'll offer him a good deal, combine that with the world class training facilities and I'm sure he'll stay.

Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:14
Quote:
Florida
I didn't think you were allowed to talk to a player until January.
Hopefully we'll offer him a good deal, combine that with the world class training facilities and I'm sure he'll stay.

You can't but they are loopholes which means clubs just speak to agents basically. Every club in the league do it and it's pretty pointless.

Personally i can see him leaving. To who i'm not sure.

Heaf (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:26
That would be pretty typical - every time we have a decent prospect they get nicked by other teams ...

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:34
Comepletley understand why he would want to leave. Talented player with England ambitions, it's a short career and he's already had one serious injury so probably wants to make the most of it.

08 October, 2017 13:43
Quote:
Heaf
That would be pretty typical - every time we have a decent prospect they get nicked by other teams ...

where did you nick him from in the first place eh...... (Sm100)

NMB (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:50
Did TRP suggest that Lewington was looking to go or that clubs were interested in getting him? Clubs will of course be interested as he is a quality player coming to the end of his contract. The London clubs are always likely to be mooted first.

LI recently released an article suggesting he is happy at Irish so I am sure that all is well.... (Fingers in ears "la la la'')

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 13:54
Quote:
Ayerza wannabe
Quote:
Heaf

We don't nick anyone*, we take those who are surplus to requirements...

* apart from Championship clubs

08 October, 2017 13:57
Quote:
NMB
Did TRP suggest that Lewington was looking to go or that clubs were interested in getting him? Clubs will of course be interested as he is a quality player coming to the end of his contract. The London clubs are always likely to be mooted first.
LI recently released an article suggesting he is happy at Irish so I am sure that all is well.... (Fingers in ears "la la la'')

Very vague piece on Fissler's column with nothing really concrete. Looked like the piece you write with a decent player in a small club coming to the end of his contract.

Wouldn't be surprised if he stayed or left really. Would be disappointing, but certainly wouldn't begrudge him if he did move on.

08 October, 2017 14:01
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Ayerza wannabe
Quote:
Heaf

We don't nick anyone*, we take those who are surplus to requirements...

* apart from Championship clubs

Define surplus to requirements because he was offered a contract by Tigers.

It was the right move for Lewington, but if a player leaves a club to try and further their career (and rightly so in lewingtons case) once they will most likely do it again.

I do hold sympathy towards Irish in this regards same as Wuss and Falcons.

08 October, 2017 14:16
Quote:
Ayerza wannabe

It was the right move for Lewington, but if a player leaves a club to try and further their career (and rightly so in lewingtons case) once they will most likely do it again.

Yeah, pretty loose term. Change that to surplus to 1st team requirements.

Sure, he's 26. It's a big contract (and thus a big decision) if he feels he has a shot at international/Champions Cup rugby.

If he does move, I doubt it will be about money. I'm confident we'll be able to match most offers for him, given club like Sarries are up against the salary cap (supposedly).

Alphacat (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 14:17
We shall see - if we end up going back down to the championship I would actually hope for him that he leaves.

Heaf (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 15:23
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Ayerza wannabe

Yeah, pretty loose term. Change that to surplus to 1st team requirements.

Sure, he's 26. It's a big contract (and thus a big decision) if he feels he has a shot at international/Champions Cup rugby.

If he does move, I doubt it will be about money. I'm confident we'll be able to match most offers for him, given club like Sarries are up against the salary cap (supposedly).

Sadly I can't help but feel Sarries are still finding ways around the mythical cap ...

TSW22 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 17:38
I don't think he'd get into the team given their current back three options.

jekyll (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 18:44
Marlon Yarde is also meant to be out of contract at the end of the season and he is another winger on fire.

NMB (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 19:22
Keep Lewington, get yarde back.. now THAT would be a statement of intent for next seasons tilt for a top 6 finish (in the Prem obvs)

Florida (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 19:35
Probably need to sort out our defensive issues before thinking about bringing yarde, who isn't the most solid defender

08 October, 2017 19:41
If we concentrate our recruitment on high profile wings, we're doing it all wrong.

Can't help feeling that if we'd have picked up another win in the first block of games, re-signing the likes of Lewington would have been a little easier. Just would have looked that bit more comfortable on the relegation front. Sure some players will have agreed release clauses, but you'd rather plan your move well ahead of time than cast around for a lifeboat at the end of the season.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 19:51
I believe we play bath and wasps at home during the international period in November. Two winnable games and If we do that, keeping lewington will be easier. Big if though.

GHA (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 22:24
Quote:
Florida
Probably need to sort out our defensive issues before thinking about bringing yarde, who isn't the most solid defender

Yeah but he used to play for us and bleeds green and as you know anyone who's ever played for us would always be welcomed back with open arms no matter what because they used to play for us and as a result are top quality

Florida (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 23:04
Quote:
Hugo.LI
I believe we play bath and wasps at home during the international period in November. Two winnable games and If we do that, keeping lewington will be easier. Big if though.

Did you see wasps today? Decimated by injuries and still put in a decent shift against sarries. Can't see us living with them unless we work out how to defend. Bath, yes agree that's winnable, as long as we don't let them get too far ahead.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 07:04
Lewington is some player, would love him at Falcons.

I didn't realise he was 26, I guess he's approaching his peak for a winger. At this stage in his career and the level he's at, he should be at a better club, not to sound too harsh. The guy shouldn't be in a relegation scrap, he should be playing top Euro rugby and pushing for England honours.

NMB (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 07:28
Hopefully we can keep players like Lewington so that we stop being in relegation scraps and start pushing for top Euro competitions

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 09:36
The catch 22 situation NBM. It's not an easy situation being a feeder club for the big boys, I think we both know that more than most.

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 09:40
Watched all the highlights last night nd interesting fact Gibson, Aulika, O'Connor, Joseph, Yarde all scored tries. We have to keep players!!

NMB (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 10:00
If we string together a couple of seasons where we consistently keep our big players at the peak of their powers, while remaining in the Premiership, then I'd hope we can break the cycle and start bringing in players other clubs don't want to lose.

Newcastle look to be demonstrating how to do it!

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 11:40
It's been a slog NMB. You look like you're at the stage we were 2 seasons back. Handling errors in the opp 22, can't convert chances, defence struggling at times. Hopefully sticking with the current management structure and keeping a core of your best players will help you through this.

cb2 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 09:08
Bath fan here - with three Lions in the back 3 for England and May playing well, the only sort of player who could break into the side is a player of real size. I am not sure if Lewington is that sort of player. What has happened to the big winger you had who got injured last season? He looked more EJ's sort of player.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 09:25
Joe cokanasiga, he just signed a 4 year contract extension so bad luck on that one (Sm100)

cb2 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 10:46
I was talking about England. What is Joe doing for you at the moment? Is he injured?

Paul_D (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 10:48
He has been but was warming up with the squad before the Tigers game so must be very close to a return.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 11:46
Quote:
cb2
I was talking about England. What is Joe doing for you at the moment? Is he injured?

I know I only talk in jest. He has been injured yes but had a run out in an A league game and should get a run out in Europe.

cb2 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 12:50
Is he the solution to England's size problem? I don't think Earle will make a difference and there aren't really any other options.

11 October, 2017 13:11
Joe needs a run of games in the AP really. Massive potential, but at the moment he's not the best English winger at his club.

Excited to see how he goes though and hopefully he doesn't have too much bad luck with injuries.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 15:09
Mackenzie, the diminutive new Kiwi 15, showed that Eddie's 'size' issue is a bit of a red herring.

An England back line of

9 Robson
10 Farrell
11 Daly
12 Teo
13 JJ/Slade
14 Nowell/Rocko
15 Alex Goode

is plenty big and fast enough.

waltham (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 23:30
Quote:
fatlad76
Watched all the highlights last night nd interesting fact Gibson, Aulika, O'Connor, Joseph, Yarde all scored tries. We have to keep players!!

..and how do we do that exactly?. We lost Gibson because we couldn't find the cash to keep him.. rumour was that Marland left because he was told by England that he'd have to be seen in a top 6 team. O'Connor was only ever a short term opportunistic signing and JJ etc followed a) their mentors, b) cash and c) RFU visibility

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 08:37
It was just an observation but the solution would be
success giving visability
success giving a wish to stay
cash?????

waltham (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 11:16
That'd certainly help, but it's kinda catch 22 IMO. Do we need cash to be successful? Or to be successful to attract cash?

jekyll (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 20:17
We lost Gibson because Toby wouldn't start him and he was coming on off the bench and basically trying too hard and being a penalty machine for the opposition. Nothing to do with money, he just wanted to start.

waltham (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 23:20
Quote:
jekyll
We lost Gibson because Toby wouldn't start him and he was coming on off the bench and basically trying too hard and being a penalty machine for the opposition. Nothing to do with money, he just wanted to start.

we'll just have to differ on that.

Finno (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 23:46
He walked past my car as I was leaving the carparks today, and looked seriously pee'd of with what he'd just watched.

Florida (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 00:00
Quote:
Finno
He walked past my car as I was leaving the carparks today, and looked seriously pee'd of with what he'd just watched.

At least he didn't have to pay to watch it!

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 01:25
Heís gone. He would have left 2 years ago if not for his injury at the wrong time (and I know that that as a fact). Heís a very good player but is ultimately too old to start playing for England and probably not good enough to be in the EPS even in a top club. He needs to make a decision about whether he wants to become a club legend or chase the money, even if it results in him being on the bench for the vast majority of the time.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 07:23
EC - Alex only got injured in June 2016...

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 09:23
Quote:
Shawshank
EC - Alex only got injured in June 2016...

Didnít he have one around February/March time as well?

SirBurger (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 09:47
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Heís gone. He would have left 2 years ago if not for his injury at the wrong time (and I know that that as a fact). Heís a very good player but is ultimately too old to start playing for England and probably not good enough to be in the EPS even in a top club. He needs to make a decision about whether he wants to become a club legend or chase the money, even if it results in him being on the bench for the vast majority of the time.

1. You know that 'as a fact'? I had heard otherwise, but will take your word as gospel.

2. I doubt money is the main issue for a talented player like Lewington. He will want England honours and I think he could achieve them if he was at a better club.

3. He would start at most other Premiership clubs so I can't see how he would be sat on the bench 'for the majority of the time.'

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 12:29
I thought he stayed with us cause he was settled with his girlfriend in London and enjoyed playing for the club and felt he owed us as we gave him his shot in rugby. For his sake though if we go down I hope he does leave, I think he could be an England starter.

Steelman (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 16:26
I enjoy watching Lewi running with the ball in hand, who wouldn't, F1 acceleration,the dazzling steps, and he,s non to shabby at regaining the box kick or kick off, should we ever manage to hoist a good,un, but I can't help but think that it would take an enormous injury crisis to lift him into a full international.When you have the likes of Daly And Watson who can cover a host of positions, EJ is only gonna pick people who have proven defence. Christian Wade can't get a sniff, and he's in front of Lewi in all aspects of his game.He may leave, but not to play for England.

TSW22 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 19:44
Again, after watching sarries tonight I don't think they need him!

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 20:15
God knows what sarries will do to us in a couple of weeks!

Florida (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 20:48
Quote:
Hugo.LI

They'll beat us, probably out a whole heap of tries passed us, but it's ok, we're learning every week sad smiley

Bazzo (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 21:02
Quote:
Hugo.LI

You might be surprised. I think they might rest a few players against us. They have a few injuries too and having to play their internationals a bit more than they would like. With the autumn games coming up they might pick our game to give them a rest....... i would.

Ajax Treesdown (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 12:41
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Hugo.LI

You might be surprised. I think they might rest a few players against us. They have a few injuries too and having to play their internationals a bit more than they would like. With the autumn games coming up they might pick our game to give them a rest....... i would.

No chance.

They will look at how we denied Leicester a TBP and ensure this is secured as early as possible before bringing on replacements.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/10/2017 12:47 by Ajax Treesdown.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 13:29
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Hugo.LI

No chance.

They will look at how we denied Leicester a TBP and ensure this is secured as early as possible before bringing on replacements.

I think Leicester denied themselves the losing bonus point by playing to loosely when they should have been more ruthless, then again I'm not a rugby guru like the majority of the posters.

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

GHA (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 14:05
The majority of the posters are posting their opinions rather than claiming to be gurus

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 14:18
Iím a guru,
Greatly
Under appreciated
Rugby
Unionist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net