Latest News:

Today's game - positive and negatives
paulm1953 (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:13
Would be interested in people's views.

Positives[/b]

[b]Had a good pint of Good Old Boy before the game

Negative[b][/b]s

LI can't tackle, can't pass, players standing still when they receive the ball, so so in the scrum and line out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/10/2017 08:52 by paulm1953.

Re: Today's game - positive and negatives
exile99 (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:30
Had a good pint of Good Old Boy at half time too.

Despriarno (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:40
Lucky @#$%&.

No Punter's 'good old boy' in the west so the positive was missed

Luton Irish (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:49
Time for a new skills and defence coach from Rugby league?

Florida (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:50
Positive
Breakdown, turned them over a few times through individual strength.
Big Joe likes running over and around people
TBC, Johnny and Big Joe didn't limp off injured

Negatives
Tackling suspect
Defensive alignment all out of whack
Some big lads but little ball carrying ability, Lomidze seemed particularly ineffective

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 19:15
Scrum went well until they brought on WP Nel and we brought on our replacements.

Lineout was shocking.

McNally was very good again.

We fell of tackles that we really should be making (Again!!!)

Florida (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 19:51
At this point the tackling is my biggest worry. It was suspect last season, but we managed to paper over the cracks by being able to either scramble well or outscore them. That's not the case now and we're being exposed.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 20:11
Kicking for the posts all the time was very negative. It showed a terrible lack of confidence in ourselves.

Credit though to Edinburgh - they were very well drilled, knew exactly what they were trying to do, and their backs were very impressive.

Well deserved MOTM to their 12.

Really hope that the policy of resting our first team pays off when the AP starts up again...

Florida (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 20:38
Kicking for the posts was the sensible choice. Our lineout wasn't functioning.

Finno (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 22:42
Positives :

Edinburgh had a poor kicker and they butchered a number of good chances.
Big Joe had a couple of good runs and looked dangerous with ball in hand and in a bit of space.

Negatives :

Where do I start? Firstly, this was a huge opportunity for a number of this team to put their hands up for a place in the Prem team...none of them did!, which was really disappointing.
Defence or lack thereof. Yet again we seemed to defend so narrowly that as soon as the ball went wide, the oppo had at least an overlap of one. It was like watching last weeks game all over again. Obviously, Edinburgh worked us out as quickly as Leicester did. To compound this, Edinburgh decided to robustly contest the breakdown, we just couldn't handle them, and this sucked more into the narrowness of the defence.They looked like they could almost score at will, a bit like last week.
Our midfield, had gaping holes yet again. If people think that that Messrs TBC, Williams and Fowlie are the answer in the short/medium term to our problems in this area, they are seriously mistaken.The are excellent long term prospects, but I dread to think what a Premiership midfield would have done to us today!
Despite all the above we were still in it for a LBP, until the last 10 mins, but no one took charge of guiding us to just that. We looked rudderless and clueless when we had the ball and in the end gave up. (unlike every other game this season)

I hate being negative but I was hugely disappointed and frankly worried after todays game. It doesn't matter how seriously or otherwise we take the competition, we were seriously picked apart by an average Edinburgh with lots of fringe players also. It really exposed our lack of strength in depth. Also its starting to seem to me that the issues are systemic rather than individual (different group this week, same problems), and though I hate saying it, is our young and inexperienced coaching team, being found out?

It's all still a little raw at the moment and I'm sure I'll mellow during the week to a point where I'll be all positive again by next Friday, but it's been a long time since I've been at a game like that where I couldn't really find a single positive.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 00:18
I went to the game and thought we might lose, but wanted to see how big Joe faired, Edinburgh are a team that will never be involved in a relegation battle, they have a savvy, experienced coach, they completely out smarted us, but apart from the defensive inefficiencies made as many mistakes, they had miles more off the bench than us and blew us out the water at the end, because of this advantage, I'm not upset actually because it's good experience but on the other side it does not build confidence for the squad.
Worcester won their first game of the season today, but played a strong squad and los arguably thier best player to injury, what do you think they think about that?

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

Strom (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 07:27
More in disbelief than disappointment......

positives: the club youth got the required proper game time.

negatives:
the same group looked like a bunch of strangers that had never trained together.
I know they're not bad players because I've watched them in the last two seasons.

If it's not the players, it can only be the coach. From what a layman understands, the good works George Skivington is doing, is going to waste elsewhere (IMVHO).

Apart from others' above comments, McNally - who has played great this season, looks exhausted.
The club may want to improve his conditioning before over-using him.

Somebody mentioned Lewi was cheesed off : well what did yesterday do for player morale?

Anyway, the guys shouldn't feel disheartened about the last two scrums, wasn't it WP Nel in action there?

And the Ed. #12 got the deserved MotM. Shame to see him limping off at the end.

HMRH (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 07:58
Never expected to win and saw it as a run out for a few players and experience for others. Wasn’t the best game from Irish although they made Edinburgh work hard at the start. AP survival is all that counts so a week or 2 off and hopefully a few of the short term injuries are over:

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 09:12
Quote:
Despriarno
Lucky @#$%&.
No Punter's 'good old boy' in the west so the positive was missed

You wouldn't have found Punters Good Old Boy. It's brewed by the West Berkshire Brewery Company!

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

SirBurger (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 10:44
Suggestion that we should have put out a more experienced team is way off the mark in my book. We already have something of an injury crisis. Save the Premiership squad and hope that they use the break to recharge both physically and mentally and hit the ground running like we did against Quins.

Florida (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 11:08
Quote:
SirBurger
Suggestion that we should have put out a more experienced team is way off the mark in my book. We already have something of an injury crisis. Save the Premiership squad and hope that they use the break to recharge both physically and mentally and hit the ground running like we did against Quins.

Who's suggesting we should have put out a more experienced side? I think most if not all were happy with the team that was put out.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 11:18
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
SirBurger

Who's suggesting we should have put out a more experienced side? I think most if not all were happy with the team that was put out.

Apologies - wrong thread. Someone had suggested they wanted to see a stronger side for the Stade Francais game.

Heaf (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 11:34
Quote:
LI Bohemian
I went to the game and thought we might lose, but wanted to see how big Joe faired, Edinburgh are a team that will never be involved in a relegation battle, they have a savvy, experienced coach, they completely out smarted us, but apart from the defensive inefficiencies made as many mistakes, they had miles more off the bench than us and blew us out the water at the end, because of this advantage, I'm not upset actually because it's good experience but on the other side it does not build confidence for the squad.
Worcester won their first game of the season today, but played a strong squad and los arguably thier best player to injury, what do you think they think about that?

Who was injured LIB?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/10/2017 11:34 by Heaf.

Florida (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 11:42
Te'o went off in the first couple of minutes. Did his ankle in a tackle

Heaf (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 12:00
OK thanks - oddly it seems many Warriors fans aren't that impressed with him anyway

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 15:49
Quote:
Heaf
OK thanks - oddly it seems many Warriors fans aren't that impressed with him anyway

Apologies, for my presumption, they possibly have better squad players but have they got any better players than Te'o? I know they have some rugby gurus posting for them, just like the board has its fair share.

631-563-9892

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 15:55
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
Heaf

Apologies, for my presumption, they possibly have better squad players but have they got any better players than Te'o? I know they have some rugby gurus posting for them, just like the board has its fair share.

TBF Te'o doesn't tend to put in massive performances for Worcester. Wouldn't think many Worcester fans would say he's their best/most important player (likely someone like hougaard)

Teme Dream (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 16:06
Wuss fan in peace. Te'o has been rubbish for Worcester. Perhaps we're not good enough to get the best out of him but he has never looked as though his heart is in it since joining. Seeing as he'll be off with England soon anyway he's less important to us than most squad players. We have at least half a dozen more important players already missing through injury.
Good luck with the rest of your season. Players, Management & Coaching at Worcester all seem to be in chaos so I fully expect you to take full advantage.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 18:37
THIS IS NOT A WITCH HUNT!! Just opinion

Didnt see the game but reading these comments from those that do confirm what had been discussed at length already. Whatever competition we are in, we have had the same problems.

Defence

We shouldn't be falling apart because we lost Mulcrone. Every team has a structure/plan that they work to and tweak each week depending on the team they play against. We don't have any game plan that the squad seem to play to. The lack of defensive coaching and management is obvious by the fact that a group of players who are not weak in the tackle, are now poor in defence. They can all tackle, but when put in a game situation, they don't know what their team mates are doing and are all making individual decisions which is creating holes, time and time and time again. its a miracle we haven't been walloped by anyone, but I feel its coming. Whilst players are meant to be doing a job on the field, they are being coached poorly mid week, there is no other way to see it. (This next bit you can take or leave but i'll say it) I regularly discuss Irish with my brother who was coached under Booth and several other coaches at Irish and has played alongside Danaher, Hodgson and Kenedy. He was shocked when he heard Danaher was coaching, never mind at prem level. By all accounts, he'll run through brick walls for you all day, but he is not coaching material, simple as that (not my words, but the words of someone who knew him for years). Another one of his ex team mates who is by all accounts, made for defensive coaching is Rob Hoadley. He is over in America currently, might be worth a call.

Attack

No attack plan since Quins. I think there is a pattern in the games. IT was pointed out to me that when you play at a high level, a team can shackle themselves by becoming overly conservative. Or they just have a fear of making mistakes which leads to them...being rubbish and making loads of mistakes. The reason we may have been slow starters, is not because we have the confidence to play that way, but because we're already so many points down, the 'nothing to lose' attitude sets in. When this happens players almost relax and are suddenly able to play with freedom. This freedom is actually getting them close in games but its about getting rid of the shackles we have in minute 1, not minute 50.
we have a hodgson caching attack, we just have the wrong one. Once a week we have probably the league most consistent performer and proven winner at the training ground. all he's there for is to kick. WHAT A WASTE. Walder is doing a great job at Falcons, we should let Charlie get involved with the backs. Even in the championship, the backs were not convincing at all.

Club Culture

They have worked extremely hard to reverse what happened under Coventry, and have succeeded thankfully. They talked about creating a winning mentality. To me, they have not sorted that out. I'm not expecting to win loads of games, I know our limits. But it has been discussed at length that in the A league and now in Europe, the burning desire to get a job done, just isn't there. Watching Sarries this evening, 50 points up and yet they are still putting in the hits to stop saints scoring. Its too acceptable at the club to 'find the positives and move on to next week. Winning teams don't carry that eternal optimism, if there's a problem, they come out and say it, nearly demanding a reaction from the players. our players are good enough to be competing better than they are at the moment. I can only speak for myself when I say that I actually cringe when I see another stupid video being put up asking the players stupid questions and wether they love the club. Put the camera away and focus on getting better, not pandering to the 'family club' ethos. Its a family club through and through, but the fans don't need videos to confirm it, we want results. We were a family club back when we were winning big games and will be again if we get our priorities straight. Results first, happy smile videos second. We have far less families watching us now, as a result of our results.

It was a running joke back when I played Irish youth rugby, that the amateur side f the club was run professionally and the pro side was run like an amateur set up. The youth set has been one of the best in the country by a long way fro the past 30 years. The pro side of things unfortunately has not been able to utilise the amount of quality that as come through the age ranks.

The coaches stepped up when we were at or worst, but we cant now turn a blind eye to whats going on. I think Nic will turn into a quality Director of rugby, he needs better quality working with him though. Skivington needs to be more involved, he is someone who strikes me as a coach who will get the best out of players.

I know we're not sarries or have pots of gold, but we are better than what we are seeing week in week out. We'll lose players to our rivals again if this isn't sorted quickly. Lewington looks @#$%& off all the time now, fully expect him to leave.

Finno (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 19:00
Jimbo, I think that is a pretty level headed view of where we are today. At least you've tried to be objective, which is in short supply on this site.

What really gets me about much of our support, is the apparent acceptance of mediocrity, which I think permeates the through to the coaching and playing staff! The classic 'Ah sure it'll do' ethos that Irish people have.(and I'm irish)!

We're better than that!

NewbieNoMore (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 19:01
Listening to the fan radio, I found it interesting that the Edinburgh captain (and some of his fellow pack members) took every opportunity to speak to Sir about what we were and were not doing in the scrum and the breakdown, and looking for "clarification". The only time Topsy came near to a conversation with Sir was when he was called over and told to speak to the pack about continued infringements in the Red Zone.
We need to be more savvy in this department. I have thought it numerous times over recent seasons, but to have it so clearly confirmed is actually quite depressing.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 19:56
The big positive of this game was the resting of certain players from the first six premiership games and the opportunities given to lots of young players who many have been clamouring for on here, and they are (mostly) sadly just not good enough.

There is a reason we have lost our A league games. Actually thought the starting forwards did well enough front row was good, McNally showing he is up to it, Gilsenan and MNG are good hard working honest players. Meehan was ok and very vocal but outside him ... less said the better. Big Joe obviously got a rocket at the break, different player in the second half.

Ajax Treesdown (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 08:48
If the ambition is to get back into the Champions Cup - then we should be taking this tournament more seriously as the winner has an automatic route into the group stages.

GHA (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 08:49
I always thought (but didn't want to say that) the predictions of a four try bonus point loss based on our back line were a bit optimistic, as the back line to me looked a lot like an A-League backline.

Someone said Wooster put out a strong side and won but lost 'their best player' to injury. From the BBC Sport match report: 'Warriors, who began the game already without 13 injured players' - so not that strong a side then.

We see our players week in week out and think they are top quality - but they, or the coaching set-up, are being found out. Not looking forward to my trip to Paris, but it probably won't be as bad as the trip to Allianz a week later, even if some London Irish fans would consider resting Sarries' top internationals for the game against us if they were in charge.

It's gonna be a long season.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 09:12
Quote:
GHA
I always thought (but didn't want to say that) the predictions of a four try bonus point loss based on our back line were a bit optimistic, as the back line to me looked a lot like an A-League backline.
Someone said Wooster put out a strong side and won but lost 'their best player' to injury. From the BBC Sport match report: 'Warriors, who began the game already without 13 injured players' - so not that strong a side then.

We see our players week in week out and think they are top quality - but they, or the coaching set-up, are being found out. Not looking forward to my trip to Paris, but it probably won't be as bad as the trip to Allianz a week later, even if some London Irish fans would consider resting Sarries' top internationals for the game against us if they were in charge.

It's gonna be a long season.

We all know why you didn't want to say before the game, because you might have been wrong, so waited until after the game to give us your hindsight prediction, which indicates what you are about.
There are strong sides and strongest side available or you could put out a mostly academy side, do you understand or is this a lack of understanding.
Most teams have got double figure injury lists at this time of the season.
We don't all think that the team/coaching staff are top quality in fact I can't remember when someone did say they were.
You live in a world without hope, good luck with that and keep up the good work.

631-563-9892

GHA (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 09:40
I didn't want to say before the game because I knew I'd get shot down for being negative before a ball had even been kicked.

I don't live in a world without hope - I've been hoping for the past however many seasons for us to make a few signings that teams don't want to lose, rather than signings that teams are happy to let go. I always hope we go for the corner or take the scrum when the pressure's on rather than settling for the 3 points nine times out of ten. I hope we finish above Worcester this season and build on that. I hope we get local kids' sides in at half time and let them have a run around on the pitch rather than kicking a ball in a wheelie bin or pushing a big inflatable ball up and down the pitch. Saying that, I always hoped Dundee would come up in the Cityjet competition. I wonder if this indicates what I am about as well.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 09:44
Not often I agree with GHA, I do on the assessment of our own players point. Because we know a lot about our squad/academy players and have a vested interest in them doing well, it's easy for many to get carried away when lots of personal favourites are included in a match-day squad. We tend to over rate our squad in that regard. In reality Edinburgh are a better team than us and they fielded a team that was much closer to first choice. We were always going to struggle in the game.

The reality is we've one of the weakest squads in the league as proven by our league position and lack of an A League win since the dawn of time. I don't think it's the weakest, but the challenge is to find a way to progress on a budget. For that you need a little luck along the way.

I'd certainly not be too hard on the coaches though as I don't think that's where the majority of on field issues lie. It's a tough league and they are going up against stronger teams week in week out. Certainly something to be said for not chopping and changing and allowing a little continuity to build. Dec's a pretty easy target at the moment, but it will take more to fix things than just replacing a defence coach. I remember when we got one of the best in the business at the time in (Shaun Edwards) and points conceded fell off a cliff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/10/2017 09:45 by Margin_Walker.

GHA (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 09:59
It can be a mixture of over-estimating our players and under-estimating everyone else's as well, M_W. I know I'm often guilty of looking at the opposition and thinking 'I've never heard of half these players, we could have a chance here.' The Northampton game springs to mind (Collins, Groom, Haywood, Hill, Paterson, Ribbans? Accrington Stanley - who are they?), although maybe that's just me

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 10:10
Isnt that just it. We know our players and we know they can play since we have seen glimpses of all. One case in point was a box kick (I think) in the first 20 mins on Saturday. Off sets big Joe and he doesnt make it but there is big dropped catch forward and we get the knock on. Now how much of that was down to having seen what big Joe has done in the past and seeing him bearing down. I think alot. Apart from that he was non exsistent in the first half but had two good runs in the second. Elsewhere we saw running (ha!) from deep and static play from the rest. I am not singling Joe out but just using him as an example. He has an ability as do all but what is lacking is the believe that they can use it and it will come off. Too much of Saturday was "Oh Sh*t I have the ball can you ask the oppo to turn off the headlights!" How the coaches get that as a mindset is the catch22 question.

waltham (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 10:41
I agree that Josh looked almost dead on his feet for most of the match...

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 11:18
Couldn’t believe it when I saw his name on the team sheet. Poor man management putting him in

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 12:50
Quote:
GHA
I didn't want to say before the game because I knew I'd get shot down for being negative before a ball had even been kicked.

I don't live in a world without hope - I've been hoping for the past however many seasons for us to make a few signings that teams don't want to lose, rather than signings that teams are happy to let go. I always hope we go for the corner or take the scrum when the pressure's on rather than settling for the 3 points nine times out of ten. I hope we finish above Worcester this season and build on that. I hope we get local kids' sides in at half time and let them have a run around on the pitch rather than kicking a ball in a wheelie bin or pushing a big inflatable ball up and down the pitch. Saying that, I always hoped Dundee would come up in the Cityjet competition. I wonder if this indicates what I am about as well.

That old chestnut, be negative when you got the ammo, like your style.
For someone who hopes as much as Morgan freeman at the the end of Shawshank Redemption, you never show it in your posts (unless prompted)
I still don't think the team/squad are top notch as you previously stated.

631-563-9892

GHA (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 12:59
Be negative when you got the ammo? You can't be negative without it, and if you're suggesting I'm only negative after the event, well that's rubbish too.

I've never been prompted to comment on the quality of new signings, or the decision to take the three, or the half-time entertainment, but I've done so anyway.

Some people do, don't take everything too personally.

DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 13:25
The difference that Mulchrone makes in defense is he drifts out with the attack.

Tonks and (especially) Williams have often gone inwards dragging the 13 in with them leaving the wing exposed to a 3-1 overlap. People then blame Topsy for missing tackles whereas the reality is that he's had to make a call on who to defend and often can't get to him or whoever ends up with the ball to make the tackle.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 14:42
I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head.

I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain.

I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.

I hope.

jekyll (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 18:04
Totally agree about the Edinburgh players talking to the ref, whre was Topsy or any of our players.
Topsy was jumping out of the line like he did last season and hasnt done so far this season, we always seemed short of numbers, cant our players count?
Almost all of out kickoffs were too deep so Edinburgh could exit how they wasnted no poressure
Backs seemed to specialize in taking the ball stationary so we hardly ever went over the gain line.
Yes Big Joe had a couple of good runs but he needs to be given space to work in and not be expected to produce miracles.
Steele seems busy when he comes on but his service is slow and he keeps taking steps before passing which only means that Edinburghs defence was onto our backs almost before they got the ball
Left the game really depressed as the youngsters had a chance to put their hands up but there werent any apart from Joe in the backs and several of the forwards

olw131 (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 18:44
Quote:
jekyll
Totally agree about the Edinburgh players talking to the ref, whre was Topsy or any of our players.
Topsy was jumping out of the line like he did last season and hasnt done so far this season, we always seemed short of numbers, cant our players count?
Almost all of out kickoffs were too deep so Edinburgh could exit how they wasnted no poressure
Backs seemed to specialize in taking the ball stationary so we hardly ever went over the gain line.
Yes Big Joe had a couple of good runs but he needs to be given space to work in and not be expected to produce miracles.
Steele seems busy when he comes on but his service is slow and he keeps taking steps before passing which only means that Edinburghs defence was onto our backs almost before they got the ball
Left the game really depressed as the youngsters had a chance to put their hands up but there werent any apart from Joe in the backs and several of the forwards

Everything you've said there is correct mate and it's all down to basic errors. Kickoffs way too long, little or no chase of box kicks, not passing in front or running onto the ball, defensive alignment. Also re Steele ineffective clearing out of rucks and very poor ball presentation leading to slow disrupted ball.

A lack of fitness was understandable given we had players coming back from injury. But that doesn't excuse not doing the basics right. It's really simple stuff with which we're just shooting ourselves in the foot

HMRH (IP Logged)
17 October, 2017 07:18
Opinion - we were never going to win that game. Edinburgh have some real quality and that was an A team for us. Defence continues to be an issue - I don't know why although I have some sympathy for the view that it's about a system not individuals. We looked ok going forward but no more than that and I personally think there was too much expected of that backline.

We don't need to compete in Europe but we do need to see the issues being reduced - defence not attack is the priority for Saturday. Would accept being rolled over in mauls but tries from open play bed to be reduced quickly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net