rugbyunion
Latest News:

RWC hosts 2023
HMRH (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 09:58
South Africa ranked first then France with Ireland not winning any category. Happy with that personally although trip over the water would have been easier

Re: RWC hosts 2023
cjm. (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 10:19
Went to the one in 95. Great holiday but not sure I would go back now. Things are heading downwards rapidly, violence is well on the up. I won't forget joburg. Stayed in the hillboro area with armed guards everywhere. Obviously there are some great areas but the big cities, not so much.

God know what the place is going to be like in 6 years time.

Hoping to go to Japan though. Really looking forward to that.

HMRH (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 10:23
Not sure on Japan just thinking it through. My family is South African so I visit regularly but it certainly has its challenges. The corruption is appalling

cjm. (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 10:30
Yeah, some areas are really nice have friends towards the cape but I have read some stories recently that are horrendous and it is rapidly becoming another Zimbabwe. Reggie Yates documetaries a year or so ago were very well done and enlightening. It stars with a doctor holding up a leg in a bag!

I have been wanting to go to Japan for years, learning japanese for the last year or so. I expect it to be a culture shock but hopefully I will be somewhat prepared.

Finno (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 12:09
I'm hugely disappointed as an Irishman, as I know we'd have put on a great tournament!

Trying to be objective, it seems that you needed to be able to have all your venues in major cities, and have all your stadia World Cup ready at bid time(5 years away from the event) and to have a track record of hosting these events!

So, in essence to me it means that only countries that have already held the tournament will get it future and smaller countries have no chance, unless you're NZ!

Two other points that really struck me..

1. All three scored the same on security, so Ireland is as safe/dangerous as France and SA!! Really??!!

2. The Irish bid had the revenue required by World Rugby, formally underwritten by the government, so World Rugby couldn't lose. Neither of the other two had such commitments, but that held no sway with the technical group...amazing!

Anyway, hey no, such is life!!

HMRH (IP Logged)
01 November, 2017 13:27
As an Englishman all are roughly equal on safety 😉

HMRH (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 09:58
Tempted by Japan now - seen the match schedule so maybe a week or so to take in the England games v Argentina and France.

As cjm has done all the hard work on languages I feel guilty about my lack of preparation even 2 years ahead!

cjm. (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 10:42
Quote:
HMRH
Tempted by Japan now - seen the match schedule so maybe a week or so to take in the England games v Argentina and France.
As cjm has done all the hard work on languages I feel guilty about my lack of preparation even 2 years ahead!

Well I'm not going to pretend it's easy but I am really enjoying learning it. If you are tempted to learn a bit may I recommend Japanese From Zero by George Trombley books. By far the best and he also has parallel youtube lessons that follow the books, chapter by chapter, and he is a really good and engaging teacher ( occasionally non pc ).

HMRH (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 11:50
Thanks!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net