rugbyunion
Latest News:

Samoan Rugby
bigbitty (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 18:21
Samoan Rugby has been declared bankrupt, putting the upcoming matches with England and Scotland in doubt.

This is a perfect opportunity to get rid of the present management system which is apparently, how shall I put it politely, inefficient. It has long been said that there are as many well paid officials on any tour as underpaid players.

Is this a SH problem, or is it a problem for all of us? I hope they get it sorted in eithr case.

Re: Samoan Rugby
Paul_D (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 22:32
Quote:
bigbitty
putting the upcoming matches with England and Scotland in doubt.

No it doesn’t. In fact the players are planning to donate from their own fees to Samoan Rugby.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

bigbitty (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 07:05
To be fair, that Telegraph report came out after I had written the post, which was also based on what I read in the Telegraph.

Still, good to see some reaction from the Rugby world. More needed though.

HMRH (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 09:36
Article in The Times today on the same. Needs a change at the top of World Rugby to make it really happen for Samoa, Tonga and Fiji although it would be great to see RFU take a lead here

Wonder if SRU will donate anything at all?

orsoncart (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 09:44
Understand that the RFU makes a donation of £75k plus cover their costs. Dear God, that is about £1 per ticket, or £2 with costs, versus an average SP of say £70. That doesn't include TV rights, sales of overpriced beer, programmes etc etc etc

Think they can do better than that and would be great for them to take the lead.

bigbitty (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 09:51
Quote:
HMRH
Article in The Times today on the same. Needs a change at the top of World Rugby to make it really happen for Samoa, Tonga and Fiji although it would be great to see RFU take a lead here
Wonder if SRU will donate anything at all?

Apparently not, according to the Telegaph.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 10:22
Why should the RFU pay anything if even the Samoa players think the money won't benefit them but will be 'lost in transit'...?

orsoncart (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 10:31
Quote:
Shawshank
Why should the RFU pay anything if even the Samoa players think the money won't benefit them but will be 'lost in transit'...?

Not saying that it should be paid without any tracking, but am saying that the RFU really needs to take some responsibility for a reasonable revenue share in order to help ensure future of rugby in Samoa. Take the point that it has to be transparent and clean

HMRH (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 11:01
Where’s the piece about players saying money would be lost?

Shawshank (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 11:13

CharlieG (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 11:42
Based on the Telegraph article:

RFU are donating £75,000 - 2% of the expected turnover from the match.
SRU have ruled out making a similar donation.
England players are donating at least £1,000 each - just under 5% of their £22,000 match fee.
No word on what the Scottish players are giving.

However, the article seems to suggest that the money from the RFU will go to the Samoan Rugby Union, whereas the money from the Eng players goes to the Samoan Players - who will not get a match fee.

orsoncart (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 12:45
If £75k is 2% of the expected turnover, I'm a Dutchman

That would put the expected turnover at £3.75m which works out at £47 for each of the 80,000 seats, and ignores stuff like TV rights, merchandising etc etc

x_ile (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 14:17
I find the parsimony of the RFU in respect of the touring PI teams to be quite mind boggling.

RFU generously pays the tourists' expenses while in the UK. Hooray. As pointed out above, the RFU make millions for hosting the touring teams - bankrupt small country unions, no tour, no vast profits. As far as I can make out, the ABs are about the only touring team who have the clout to force the RFU to part with a significant percentage of their profits. Everyone else can whistle for a reasonable share of the takings.

Why, hitherto, have the so-called top tier nations been so reluctant to tour the PIs? Apart, of course, from the unthinkable danger that such a tour might cost money.

As also mentioned above, there seems (allegedly and unfortunately) to be a corrosive gravy train culture among the PI union administrations which almost certainly contibutes significantly to their problems. So, how to ensure the cash goes to the right places?

What connection/influence does World Rugby have on the likes of the RFU and their apparent reluctance to split profits equitably?

Shawshank (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 14:30

HMRH (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 07:33
It’s not the RFU it’s World Rugby rhatvset out rules governing finances on tours hence why the RFU is making a “goodwill gesture” which could and should be greater than it is.

Dickinson in The Times article makes the point that the rules were set when all test nations were roughly equal and doesn’t account for the changes since

Hence why NZRFU laughably asked for 50% of the gate when there was talk of a fixture being crammed in.

RFU should make a bigger payment with certain caveats but this Joan ran RFU issue - I haven’t noticed if the SRU have yet made any offer of payment?

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 08:13
The NZRFU also asked for the tour costs to Samoa to be paid by the host Union AIUI as that is the World Rugby protocol. Now I believe the NZRFU isn't exactly rolling in it (hence why the RWC there was so important) but that seems a bit tight to me!

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

bisach (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 13:06
I wonder if the financial problems will be mentioned when the game highlights get shown on the "world rugby" show.

bisach (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 13:10
World Rugby increases investment

How much will go missing?????

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net