rugbyunion
Latest News:

New Coach needed
BallygallyBoy (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 22:15
BoB Casey + luvly man was not able to go from playing to be CEO of a large organisation-
Mr Kennedy and coaches do not have the experience to guide our team forward - todays game was a disgrace.
London Irish have a man on board with LOADS of experience doing @#$%& all - wots going on then ???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2017 22:35 by BallygallyBoy.

Re: New Coach needed
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 18:10
What game was you watching?? I was at the game and from my opinion this was one of the best performances I have seen in a while (I am a season ticket holder). Nick is the right man for the job, I would just add someone with experience to shadow nick on a full time basis rather then via Skype.

I bet you wouldn’t say these vile comments to lads faces instead of behind your keyboard. Get behind the lads for f*** sake.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

olw131 (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 18:31
Too right Dave. I thought that was our best performance of the season and getting on the wrong side of some fine margins - probably a result of inexperience - meant we couldn't get the result. Minus a few missed tackles I was proud of the lads, and our attacking plays were, though predictable at times, more energetic than usual.

It's the silly errors with which we are continually shooting ourselves in the foot which aren't so forgivable, such as aimless kicking and poor decision making (and starting certain players who quite clearly don't care as much as others). When we run it and play with a bit of ambition, we actually threaten their defence as our kick chase remains, for the most part, nonexistent. Backs like Lewi, Joe and Marshall who are electric with ball in hand need to take the wheel in this regard and constantly go looking for the ball. Given yesterday's showing this seems to be happening and I hope for even more.

Obviously some of that will come with experience as the squad gels further, but lots of it can be looked at on the training paddock...

Shawshank (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 18:35
You just feel if we can somehow survive this season in the AP, then happier days are round the corner.

Even if relegated we do need to stick with NJK and his team.

Having said all that, we do need to bring in some additional backs coaching to work alongside the current coaches, as the lack of attacking cohesion in the backs has been obvious to all for the last 16 months...

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 19:24
I think Nic will develop into a quality DoR, he’s learning the ropes which is tough to watch at this level but it’s unavoidable. I feel the good Dr needs to be by his side for more time, like he was at sarries. As harsh as it may seem. I would cut Hodgson loose, we need a proper coach for the backs, it’s costing us far too much at the moment being so void of ideas behind the scrum. It’s probably the only area we haven’t improved at all over the past 18 months.

If we by some miracle survive this season, I believe it will be tougher next season. Like last season our business was conducted long after everyone else had done their shopping, and we’d be up against a Bristol side that will have signed a lot of quality. I feel momentum has shifted massively in Worcester’s favour, and we simply haven’t won the games we needed to, or got LBPs in games we should. Newcastle away, saints at home, Bath Home, with those points we’d be five points better off now (two LBP and a Bath win). We’re running out of games to realistically get anything out of. Glaws have turned out to be far better than many anticipated.

Aa545 (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 19:38
I think we need a clear out top to bottom, even in lithe championship last year a lot of the time we under performed scrapping wins.
A new coaching team and trying to clear out some of the under performers with a fresh start in the championship next season , could see us slowly build up.
We are going nowhere at the minute staying as we are.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 20:10
Lord above, we firstly cleared out Toby and Hats, then Smiffy was gone, Big Glen then became surplus to requirements, and finally Uncle Tom was given his P45.

4 changes of coaching teams, and for what? A slow and inexorable decline..

We need another change of coaching team like PDP needs more pukka pies...

PV (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 20:10
It’s a professional support, go down (again) serving up this poor performance week in week out and we could go out of business full stop. Not a time for sentimentality, unless we want to run that risk....

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 20:16
Quote:
PV
It’s a professional support, go down (again) serving up this poor performance week in week out and we could go out of business full stop. Not a time for sentimentality, unless we want to run that risk....

For me a lack of continuity from constant clear outs would be a bigger danger to our long term survival.

cjm. (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 20:43
The difference, and discipline, that Cockerill is bringing to Edinburgh is turning an underperforming team around. He may not be likeable but he is no nonsense, earns respect and roots out indiscipline on and off the field. The elevation to, and subsequent stripping of, the captaincy of Magnus Bradbury shows how demanding he is of a commitment to high standards in the professional game.

Venter may be able to do that, not sure the three amigos can.

PV (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 20:44
Or the loss of players due to lack of ambition? The community’s not scoring the points

M51 (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 20:45
While not willing to criticise the coaches, why is PDP still playing when there are better/faster/fitter props in the championship who would love a crack at premier rugby. At the bath game Why did the scrummy make those really poor kicks and stay on (one of which led to Bath scoring), Scotty was the better deal. So at least two things that need to be done to address the first half game performance, and retire/move on/ or rest those players that are not playing to their potential. Strong oversight is needed, where is Mr Venter when you really need him. I really thought we were close to winning the Bath game but poorleadership/direction let us down.
Rant over
COYI
We can do it, lets get behind the coaches but hope for better performances from some of the players.
I am on holiday for the Wasps game and will hope that Irish make less msitakes but dont expect to come close.
Good luck Irish

PV (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 21:07
I can’t reconcile the demise of the club with a demand for loyalty of the existing coaching set up when there is clear under performance.

So I personally think we either get more time from Brendan or someone who can come in and turn things around. We look doomed atm and Worcester don’t. Also, what a sad barometer to be constantly battling to not be the bottom club.

I also feel we have under coached talent that could perform better than they do, contraversial as it is, that’s my view.

So if we want a step change, we need it to be radical, not incremental, I simply can’t see where sentiment or community comes into it.

orsoncart (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 21:36
I don't think that a clear out of the coaching staff would be a remotely good idea right now.

But what I do think is that NJK needs a hard-nosed experienced hand alongside him to kick butt and help him get the best out of the squad that we have. It may be that it was envisaged that BV would perform this role. My guess is that his SA commitments, both Boks and medicine, may be leaving him short of time to spend with LI.

Stark old choice really. Get BV to commit to a chunk of time between now and May, or look for someone to come in and do that. Who that is, I am not qualified to say. But we've had one day a week coaching staff before (Sean Edwards), and it just doesn't seem to work

paddym (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 21:42
Hugely experienced coach on the staff at LI but is Head Of Community. Andy Keast has been there and got the t-shirt, surely his experience would be a help to Nick.

PV (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 21:47
I’m not suggesting sacking the existing cadre, but we need something.....

Florida (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 22:19
Nothing wrong with criticising coaches or players.

The opening poster was quite correct, Kennedy doesn't have the experience to take the club forward. However, stick with him and he will gain that experience and he will be the right man for many, many years to come.

Things are tough right now and I can really only see them getting tougher, but, there is hope. A few short weeks ago we were on here slating Dec for a p!ss poor attack that was conceding 4+ tries a game, now, we're not looking too shabby, till a few missed tackles, but I think its moving in the right direction.

As to our attack, it'll come, we already show we can turn it on against the likes of Stade and Quins, again it all comes down to balance. The midfield is not quite right, I'm a fan of Mulchrone and McLean, just not at the same time. If you want McLean at 12 then have Fowlie at 13.

Here's what I'd go with for Wasps

Elrington
Paice
Hoskins
FVDMW
Seb (I would have preferred McNally)
MNG
Gilly
Blair

Steele
Bell
Lewi
Williams / TBC / Tonks (in that order)
Fowlie
Joe
Marshall

John H (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 22:45
When we are in this position it always leads to negativity by glass half empty supporters.

We scored two tries to Bath's one and that one should never have happened if only De Chaves could be bothered to tackle Banahan. We also left a couple of tries behind on the pitch.

I do however think that Nick could do with a mentor who knows something about winning and can givw more time than Brendan.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 08:02
Yes, not sure the Brendan experiment has worked myself. A more full-time consultant would surely be better.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 08:28
Quote:
SirBurger
Yes, not sure the Brendan experiment has worked myself. A more full-time consultant would surely be better.

If you were full time, surely you would not just be a consultant?

Florida (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 09:14
Quote:
SirBurger

Agreed, don't think Brendan is having much impact on us, Italy or SA. A case of spread too thin or no longer as relevant?

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 18:06
I've got a great idea, we sack some coaching staff just as they gain the right experience through making mistakes at our cost, they go to another club and their protégé's follow them, so we get no reward from training up these players, but by then they have gained enough experience to play in the premiership against us, whenever we are in the premiership and beat us.

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

Shawshank (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 18:43
Eh...?

Does that mean me and LI Bo actually agree on something..?(Sm100)

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 19:16
Quote:
LI Bohemian
I've got a great idea, we sack some coaching staff just as they gain the right experience through making mistakes at our cost, they go to another club and their protégé's follow them, so we get no reward from training up these players, but by then they have gained enough experience to play in the premiership against us, whenever we are in the premiership and beat us.

This sounds so familiar, you must be psychic LI B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/11/2017 19:20 by Exile_Dave.

Jonny_C (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 18:23
As Alan Hansen once said, “You can't win anything with Kids”.
And our coaching team are kids, excepting Dr V.

HMRH (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 19:12
Just who was waiting in the wings to lead us to salvation?
The club needs stability and painful though it is it might take more than one cycle to fix. Do I like that? No. Can I name the Messiah that will transform everything this season? No

Didn’t work at Worcester it’s just that Bristol were worse

Jonny_C (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 21:22
AEC Regent III RT. Great coaches

Jamo (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 06:43
Quote:
Exile_Dave
What game was you watching?? I was at the game and from my opinion this was one of the best performances I have seen in a while (I am a season ticket holder). Nick is the right man for the job, I would just add someone with experience to shadow nick on a full time basis rather then via Skype.
I bet you wouldn’t say these vile comments to lads faces instead of behind your keyboard. Get behind the lads for f*** sake.

This is the type of posting that I can’t stand reading. Just saying.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 07:35
Quote:
Jonny_C
As Alan Hansen once said, “You can't win anything with Kids”.
And our coaching team are kids, excepting Dr V.

Good point ! But tell me was Alan Hansen right? And how good did the kids turn out be be that he was referring to?

Steelman (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 07:58
And Hanson was shite at rugby..

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 13:03
Quote:
Jamo
Quote:
Exile_Dave

Well f*** *** then cretin.

Florida (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 15:26
Quote:
Exile_Dave
Quote:
Jamo
Quote:
Exile_Dave

Well f*** *** then cretin.

Easy there keyboard warrior.

HMRH (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 15:44
Fight

Steelman (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 16:08
Just a bit of healthy pre-match adrenaline,steady tiger

SteveS (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 19:17
I think it’s more the players and playing budget than the coaches. But I’m guessing

peejay (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 20:43
Haven was referring to kids in the team, but they had a very experienced manager. It rather seems the other way round with us, Some older players not performing, and kids(realatively) in charge.

PV (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 21:02
They also had a truckload of cash

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 10:44
Just a thought. London Irish pride themselves on the fitness of their players. I would like to see them adopting the Scotland rugby team approach of speeding the game up at line outs and scrums and keeping the ball in play. The referees can then observe when the opposition are intentionally slowing the game down.

Could reap rewards (they need to do something different) and it has helped Scotland move up the world ranking and leads to more attractive rugby.

Your thoughts (preferably without the mention of sweating socks!!

Come on you Irish

Paul

cjm. (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 11:06
Yup, something I mentioned a few days ago. A lot of the play is over-prescriptive.

However for Scotland that is something that townsend has built over quite a few years at Glasgow. It's not something you can suddenly switch on. They may have the fitness ( where would we be without those training facilities ) but the skill and confidence can only be built up gradually in consistent, steady and challenging steps.

The three musketeers are consistently proving they can't instil that ethos.

Steelman (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 11:54
Quote:
paulm1953
Just a thought. London Irish pride themselves on the fitness of their players. I would like to see them adopting the Scotland rugby team approach of speeding the game up at line outs and scrums and keeping the ball in play. The referees can then observe when the opposition are intentionally slowing the game down.
Could reap rewards (they need to do something different) and it has helped Scotland move up the world ranking and leads to more attractive rugby.

Your thoughts (preferably without the mention of sweating socks!!

Amazing how the rugby league defence that has blighted the union game for years
can be torn apart by truly wonderful attacking coaching, and a good team buying into it.
Our coaches are still on join the dots.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net