rugbyunion
Latest News:

London Irish...
26 November, 2017 17:31
Hi all,

I’ve been supporting London Irish for over 14 years now. Just under two years ago, I signed up to ‘The Craic’, so I could discuss my thoughts of the game with the select few that really cared for the club. Truth be told, being a member on this website is far better than supporting the actual team as current results are rather poor…

At the end of 15/16, the inevitable happened – Premiership relegation. Arguably, we were worse during that season then we are now, but with 11 teams obviously stronger than us we all had to accept relegation. Having been through the sometimes amazing and other times shocking experience of the semi-professional Championship league, a return to the Premiership was what we all thought could be the start of a new era for London Irish.

This season has been very frustrating; the ecstasy that comes with big wins over Stade and Quins have been overruled by the thumping’s by Exeter, Sale and Edinburgh. The worst results for the Irish fans, however, have come in the last few weeks:

• Irish 27-28 Tigers
• Irish 22-26 Bath
• Irish 18-22 Bath
• Irish 13-17 Wasps

The thread ‘Why do we all get so frustrated?’ demonstrated the feelings of everyone who really cares about this club, but we all know that London Irish don’t listen. It’s becoming more and more obvious that relegation for a second time will likely lead to 1) moving out of Reading, 2) losing all the fans and 3) possibility of doing a London Welsh. Another club steeped in history that has been backed by so many fans and sponsors going defunct would surely be a disaster for not only everyone associated, but Premiership Rugby too.

What can we do though? We moan after every match about the game but nothing ever changes. We could organise a protest against the club or write a thousand letters to Premiership Rugby begging that relegation is discontinued, but it just feels like our opinion doesn’t matter.

Next week, we’re off to Gloucester to watch another half-hearted performance from the team which will likely end up in another decimation at Kingsholm. In case you missed it, our last game against the Cherry and Whites was a 47-7 mauling on Remembrance Day. After a short and likely disappointing European break, it’s the two crucial games against what appears to be a revitalised, high-flying Worcester and the mighty Newcastle Falcons.

I would say something like “now’s the time to really get behind the team”, but as we know it makes little difference. We’ve invested money (a lot of it) and more crucially time into this club, but now we have to force a change - something has to be done. Ideas anyone??

Re: London Irish...
cjm. (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 17:38
IDK, Nick Kennedy looked quite relaxed about it all up in the directors box so if he is quite relaxed about it I think we have no need to worry.

The above is an example of the lowest form of wit.

Horticbm (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 17:43
Perhaps he should look at the prem Table to see where we are

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 17:50
The club has been ransacked by owners for years. It was taken over by people who had no interest in the benefit of the club, only done to line their own pockets. The new ownership came 15 years too late. Had we had a management structure hat actually benefitted the club, we would have won the league a few times by now. Some of the best players to grace the league have worn the Irish jersey. Selfish investors are the reason the club has been in such an unhealthy state for so many years. It’s been bled dry until we literally had to be rescued

cjm. (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 17:57
Quote:
jimbo800
The club has been ransacked by owners for years. It was taken over by people who had no interest in the benefit of the club, only done to line their own pockets. The new ownership came 15 years too late. Had we had a management structure hat actually benefitted the club, we would have won the league a few times by now. Some of the best players to grace the league have worn the Irish jersey. Selfish investors are the reason the club has been in such an unhealthy state for so many years. It’s been bled dry until we literally had to be rescued

There is no doubt some truth in that but I suspect the dawn of professionalism is more to blame. LI have a brand but they don't seem to have a real home and identity to coalesce around. That makes support more fairweather than other clubs IMO. The BS era when LI were really competitive brought the sort of crowds that ought to be good for business but it wasn't sustained ( this may be due to the points you raise ) and the crowds slowly drifted away.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:03
The owners and investors over the years put no effort into finding suitable areas to move until we had no choice but reading. Typically Irish, there were rumours a plenty to keeps the fans excited but nothing ever came to fruition. We didn’t embrace professionalism at all. We were treading water until we eventually had nothing left to be taken.

olw131 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:46
God this is depressing.

This club needs a total rethink starting from communicating with its supporters a little more as to what's actually going on to improve things, rather than just pretending everything's OK until - oops, we're down.

Mere prattle without practice.

waltham (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:23
So wrong IMO. We can criticise of course however not many of us invested and risked real cash with (initially) no hope of any financial return. Yes, of course I was pi$$ed off about the £10k minimum investment in the debentures which I couldn't afford, however the previous major investors and directors did keep injecting (loss making) funds year after year.

Ajax Treesdown (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:36
The problem is we have a ‘coaching’ set up full of ‘cosches’ Who have never coached before.

Club legends yes - cosches? No.

Narbia (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 22:24
Quote:
Ajax Treesdown
The problem is we have a ‘coaching’ set up full of ‘cosches’ Who have never coached before.

Maybe after having been bitten in the experiment with the former Chiefs coach, they decided to take a conservative approach with faces they knew, however inexperienced.

Re: London Irish...Difficult times
Rosscaberry (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 23:32
Like many supporters I am worried about our season so far. I become frustrated at our inability to convert our possession into points, our tendency to make unforced errors at crucial times, the performances of one or two players..........I could carry on ad infinitum.
Then I could criticise the management, the owners, the negative criticism of supporters (yes it is our right to offer criticism).......
But a couple of thoughts: we are the poorest (financially I suspect) team in the league, we have 12th pick of any new players & we are at a terrible disadvantage because we have been a year out of the league .
We need to remember that we purchase many players who are released by other clubs or are untried players from other countries.
Perhaps we need to remember that our players are young lads who need a boost to their confidence. Winners tend to be confident & losers tend to lack confidence. So telling players & management that they are poor will not engender confidence.
As Caimh says let’s get behind the boys for the rest of the season.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 15:29
The fans are leaving in their droves. Where I sit in the East stand row X I knew most of the people that surrounding me. Now I would say at least 20 have given up supporting LI. At last Sunday's game I was surrounded by Wasp fans (they were all pleasant company)

Now it would appear that the current owners are going to sell LI.

Come on you Irish

Paul

Bazzo (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 15:48
We're doomed...... doomed I tell ya !

Jeez lads, lighten up. Could always be worse.

GHA (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 16:07
Quote:
Bazzo
We're doomed...... doomed I tell ya !
Jeez lads, lighten up. Could always be worse.

If you're looking at the current 12 Aviva Premiership teams, then no, at the moment it probably couldn't be worse

Babs O (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 16:46
Out of curiosity, if we were to replace/freshen up the coaching team, who would you want to bring in that is available right now and why? Would it actually be that easy mid season to get someone who could make an instant impact without trying to re-invent the wheel?

HMRH (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 16:56
Funny how that question although asked rarely seems to be answered with actual names

Steelman (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 16:59
Quote:
Babs O
Out of curiosity, if we were to replace/freshen up the coaching team, who would you want to bring in that is available right now and why? Would it actually be that easy mid season to get someone who could make an instant impact without trying to re-invent the wheel?

Dick Best,he,d throw a few ***** into them !
( begging your pardon Babs)

cjm. (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 17:32
How about getting Tony Stanger back as attack coach ( although he may be bit rusty ).

Normally these days you have to coax someone rather than just choose from those available which is why you need to plan ahead.

Finno (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 17:47
Quote:
Babs O

We missed a huge trick when Cockers was available at the end of last season. He's exactly the hard nosed experienced Premiership DoR that we need. You only have to look at what he's done at Edinburgh already, to see what we've missed out on!!

Florida (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 20:08
Well, as said previously I think we've got the right guys for the long term, but they lack some experience. We're not getting anyone above Kendo because we have Venter. Judging by ours, Italy and SA results personally I don't think he's the right man, or he's spread too thin. If you asked me this question 4 weeks ago I'd have suggested a defence coach, but wouldn't have had suggestions as to who. Right now we seem to be in dire need of an attack coach, of all those available I would suggest Ben Ryan.

Ruckingood (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 03:20
All

I agree with the tone of the thread though think that we do have the talent to stay up and compete. The forwards are competitive if everyone does their job correctly and the backs can be dynamic, if the shackles are let off and there lies the rub. with no dedicated attack coach and Dr V's outdated "warren ball kick it if it is in our half regardless" attitude we will never see any creative play.

The forwards work hard to get the ball, the back whizz it out to the wing, rarely challenging the line and we get smothered, only to give it to the forwards who make some meters, give it to the backs who either a)whizz it out to the wing, rarely challenging the line and we get smothered, or b) Kick it away...

Now havign watched Jimmy Marshall in super rugby, Joe C, Lewington, Bell et al last season and the other lads we have, this is not their natural desire. It has to be down to a lack of confidence in the coaching. You cannot expect to win from hoping the opposition make mistakes when you kick a high ball at them... its just so 2008. to convert the pressure we need some variation, some guile, some joi de vie with a backline constantly threatening and a license to have a crack. Shackle them and this is what we end up with.... a massively improved defense and little ability to build on that.

I say unleash the dogs and let them have a real shot and bending and busting the line. teams are lining up to double team our pack, as they have watched the replays and just know that we wont play funky rugby... maybe its all a cunning plan to lull the opposition into a false sense of security and Nick will let slip the dogs in the next week or two

Then again... we could always get an attack coach...

Steelman (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 04:45
Quote:
Ruckingood
All
I agree with the tone of the thread though think that we do have the talent to stay up and compete. The forwards are competitive if everyone does their job correctly and the backs can be dynamic, if the shackles are let off and there lies the rub. with no dedicated attack coach and Dr V's outdated "warren ball kick it if it is in our half regardless" attitude we will never see any creative play.

The forwards work hard to get the ball, the back whizz it out to the wing, rarely challenging the line and we get smothered, only to give it to the forwards who make some meters, give it to the backs who either a)whizz it out to the wing, rarely challenging the line and we get smothered, or b) Kick it away...

Now havign watched Jimmy Marshall in super rugby, Joe C, Lewington, Bell et al last season and the other lads we have, this is not their natural desire. It has to be down to a lack of confidence in the coaching. You cannot expect to win from hoping the opposition make mistakes when you kick a high ball at them... its just so 2008. to convert the pressure we need some variation, some guile, some joi de vie with a backline constantly threatening and a license to have a crack. Shackle them and this is what we end up with.... a massively improved defense and little ability to build on that.

I say unleash the dogs and let them have a real shot and bending and busting the line. Kph teams are lining up to double team our pack, as they have watched the replays and just know that we wont play funky rugby... maybe its all a cunning plan to lull the opposition into a false sense of security and Nick will let slip the dogs in the next week

Well writ sir,very lucid! Imho

GHA (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 07:42
Ben Ryan is a great shout, but I also agree that Irish should think more in terms of 'who do we want' rather than 'who's on the unemployed / discarded / without a job pile.' That hasn't served us well in recent years on the playing side.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 08:05
Quote:
GHA
Ben Ryan is a great shout, but I also agree that Irish should think more in terms of 'who do we want' rather than 'who's on the unemployed / discarded / without a job pile.' That hasn't served us well in recent years on the playing side.

Okay, well I want Itoje, Coles, Ioane and both Vunipolas. Throw in Retallick as well. We'll get Gregor Townsend in to coach as he seems to be on the up at the moment...

There's only one way a team floating round at the bottom of the league gets marquee players/coaches (or even players that better clubs are keen to keep) and that's with Bristol money. We don't have that so are for the most part forced to look for value in players either coming towards the end of their careers or those who haven't had much of an opportunity at bigger clubs. The trick is to pick up more Lewingtons than than Trayfoots, more Catts than PdPs etc.

Until either we put a decent run together and climb the league or get a big injection of cash, that's the situation we are in.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 08:18
Quote:
Ruckingood
All

I say unleash the dogs and let them have a real shot and bending and busting the line. teams are lining up to double team our pack, as they have watched the replays and just know that we wont play funky rugby... maybe its all a cunning plan to lull the opposition into a false sense of security and Nick will let slip the dogs in the next week or two

Spinning the ball around and playing with the shackles off in the backs only works if your forwards get you over the gainline. Ours don't.

GHA (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 08:26
I miss James O'Connor

cjm. (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 09:02
I miss Mike Catt. If one man made a difference during that golden era it was him. Talk about controlling the game.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 09:15
I also miss Steff (or even the Huff).

No doubts at all that they would have barged over at the end v Bath, and also during the first half line siege v Wasps.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 09:48
Our guys can do more damage on the try line, if you watch the old videos of the likes of huff, it’s their technique. Took ball moving forward and dropped into the defender. Simple enough to remedy. Our guys have no dynamism and usually take the ball standing still.

Steelman (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 10:11
Quote:
jimbo800
Our guys can do more damage on the try line, if you watch the old videos of the likes of huff, it’s their technique. Took ball moving forward and dropped into the defender. Simple enough to remedy. Our guys have no dynamism and usually take the ball standing still.

Unsure that they,ll catch it,moving is probably on this weeks coaching list,or next years.

Ruckingood (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 01:45
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Ruckingood
All

Spinning the ball around and playing with the shackles off in the backs only works if your forwards get you over the gainline. Ours don't.

The sad this is that they do get over the gain line on most occasions, but when you are predictable in attack, the opposition can line everyone up and it is like running into a brick wall. We need alternative ideas to break the line and relying solely on the forwards is partly my point. If we used alternate points of attack, at pace, with quick ruck ball, we will see an improvement I would hope.. time for something a atd more dynamic

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 08:29
Quote:
Ruckingood
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Ruckingood
All

The sad this is that they do get over the gain line on most occasions, but when you are predictable in attack, the opposition can line everyone up and it is like running into a brick wall. We need alternative ideas to break the line and relying solely on the forwards is partly my point. If we used alternate points of attack, at pace, with quick ruck ball, we will see an improvement I would hope.. time for something a atd more dynamic

I do hope this is read by the coaching staff in time for Saturday as they probably haven't considered these wise words, as there is only their reputations and jobs on the line.

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

SirBurger (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 08:58
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
Ruckingood
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Ruckingood
All

I do hope this is read by the coaching staff in time for Saturday as they probably haven't considered these wise words, as there is only their reputations and jobs on the line.

What purpose do you think these message boards serve? Just asking out of interest.

waltham (IP Logged)
02 December, 2017 08:36
.....an avenue for spleen venting...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net