rugbyunion
Latest News:

A review of our new signings...
Shawshank (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 19:58
FVDM - massively hard-working all round the pitch, maybe a tad disappointing in very few line-out steals. 8/10

Filo Paulo - great physicality, makes had yards and solid in line-out. 7/10

Ben Meehan - started well, but seems to have lost his way with uncertain distribution and wayward kicking. 6/10

Luke McLean - solid defensively but toothless in attack. 5/10

PDP - an embarrassing charade. Looks grossly unfit and utterly immobile. 2/10

Napoleoni Nalaga and Gordon Reid - no meaningful contribution from either. Typical of LI's luck that our 2 "big" signings are likely to play virtually no rugby for the entire season...

Re: A review of our new signings...
cjm. (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:07
Would rate Paulo as good as FVDM.
Agreed on Meehan, the coaches have clearly got to him.
Mclean, agreed.
PDP, the only positive is that I haven't seen him pushed back in the scrum ( oh and he saved a poor lineout today ).

And yes the luck of the Irish continues. Gordon Reid should have shored up the scrum nicely but, but, but...

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:09
Agree with that. Think reid will be good for us when he returns. Personally think we're better off trying to preduce our own youngsters or buying unproven but talented younger English players like we did last year with Danny and max.

Slightly off topic but speaking of youngsters I see Ross neal is going really well for Scottish in the championship. I think we'll regret letting him go as he really impressed me last year

jekyll (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:19
Agree Hugo about Neal, I was surprised Irish let him go as I liked his style and ability, but maybe him going to Scottish and getting game time will be benefical to him in the long run and see him come back to us as a far better player than if he had stayed with us and was fed scraps.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:26
I forgot we even signed Ross. Neal will get snapped up by one of the bigger teams and end up punishing us. I would have kept him over Theo if Iím honest. Almost forgot about the Aussie hooker as well. So many signings that arenít involved at all.

Ruckingood (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 01:02
The Aussie Hooker was a scam. Was injured prior to signing, failed a medical and the hierarchy was told not to sign him but still went ahead.. half a game later, we are paying for his UK holiday and he will be lucky to every play again... not smart savy or any adjective relating to sound recruitment practices..

GHA (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 14:07
Schatz
Fainga'a
That Fijian prop who played once for Toulon

sad smiley

RodB (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 14:50
All in the A league squad for tonight

GHA (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 16:33
Hope they go well, Lomidze didn't pull up many trees

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 16:45
How's Paul Warwick doing?

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 16:50
That Pieter Roussow must be nearly fit again...

Live in West Wales, work in England, supporting Scotland and London Irish

AnotherPhil (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 17:45
Does anyone remember that time that CJ Van der Linde played for us?

Xprop (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 19:00
Quote:
GHA
Hope they go well, Lomidze didn't pull up many trees

I thought he played pretty well against Wales, but suffers from lack of size at 8.

The Sligo Rover (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 21:25
From what I saw of Ross Neal last season, I would put him well ahead of where Big Joe is at this time.

Despriarno (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 22:53
Quote:
AnotherPhil
Does anyone remember that time that CJ Van der Linde played for us?

I remember those 18 minutes.

bertles86 (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 18:41
What I want to know, is has Setaimata Sa got his visa yet?

(Sm159)

GHA (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 21:32
Consensus seems to be recruitment hasn't been great over the last few years

HMRH (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 02:39
Bell Marshall Tonks McKibbin Steele van der Merwe Franks Cowan Coman - just a few insomnia driven successful recruits over last few years

GHA (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 07:01
The list of unsuccessful recruits is probably slightly longer

Did you try counting sheep?

stnick88 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 09:16
Not sure you can include Tonks and McKibbin in the successful list.

cjm. (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 09:46
Tonks has been one of our most reliable players.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 10:05
Reliable yes, but not set the world on fire. Same for most on that list to be honest.

Florida (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 10:09
Quote:
HMRH
Bell Marshall Tonks McKibbin Steele van der Merwe Franks Cowan Coman - just a few insomnia driven successful recruits over last few years

Lewington, Mulchrone, Hobbs-ayoyemi, Robson, McNally, Gilly, MNG just off the top of my head

cjm. (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 10:44
Quote:
SirBurger
Reliable yes, but not set the world on fire. Same for most on that list to be honest.

In an LI context reliable is successful ( for me anyway ). I'm not inferring journeymen which many of our players are, he is significantly above that. His kicking is very good and he doesn't shirk tackles or attack. He also has delivered above the expectations of when he was signed.

We haven't had a set the world on fire player for years. Even JOC didn't really do that, good as he was. Have to go back to Maps and the Armitage brothers to get close I think.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 11:33
Top three signings for me over the last 5 years (in terms of actual vs expected performance) have been

Cowan
Lewington
Mulchrone

Even allowing for the difficulty recruiting from the AP basement/Championship, ours has been middling overall. Good to have finally addressed our lack of a reliable kicker (Bell), on the other hand there has been a lack of reliable carriers in our pack for a long time now. We tend to go for 6/8 types rather than out and out 8s with Trev's effectiveness reducing each season. So important to have that threat in the pack as it has a knock on effect on the back line's effectiveness. Also repeatedly failed to find someone who can do a good job at 13.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 14:56
Agreed MW.

Recruitment has been very poor not to have many others we can say the same about.

The last really effective ball-carrier we recruited in the forwards would have been Huff.

Before him we had guys like Spud and O'Sheasby who would also make hard yards, not forgetting of course Steff.

We should have signed that big No8 from Carnegie who terrorised us all last season.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 16:24
We should have signed that big No8 from Carnegie who terrorised us all last season.

He seemed to make more yardage crawling and rolling in the tackle, but was a good carrier as well.

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

stnick88 (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 16:26
Burrows, he ended up going to Newcastle but hasn't had much game time for them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net