rugbyunion
Latest News:

Professional?
Rosscaberry (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 16:38
I feel very frustrated. I appreciate that it was an unimportant game. But I am disappointed at our apparent lack of professionalism.
How can we score ‘a try winning score & ‘manage to lose’ . We contrived to miss our kick in front of the posts & then fail to keep the ball from the ensuing restart. We continue to make basic errors. Do we train during the week. Do our kickers practise? Do we practise cat even if we are a forest. I have been a season ticket holder for years & followed the team since 1967. But enough is enough.
Prior to the Worcester game. Please practise kicking & catching the ball from kick off.
Apologies but I am fed up.

Re: Professional?
16 December, 2017 16:54
Quote:
Rosscaberry
I feel very frustrated. I appreciate that it was an unimportant game. But I am disappointed at our apparent lack of professionalism.
How can we score ‘a try winning score & ‘manage to lose’ . We contrived to miss our kick in front of the posts & then fail to keep the ball from the ensuing restart. We continue to make basic errors. Do we train during the week. Do our kickers practise? Do we practise cat even if we are a forest. I have been a season ticket holder for years & followed the team since 1967. But enough is enough.
Prior to the Worcester game. Please practise kicking & catching the ball from kick off.
Apologies but I am fed up.

I agree - in the same position as a long time ST holder but probably not next season. It's really disappointing and the squad, management and board obviously aren't cut out for what should really be the most important season in Irish's history

Horticbm (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 17:00
Ive given up going full stop, who wants to watch a poor, lack lustre team with no go?? Wonder why our support has dwindled?..self explanitory I believe, at least Leinster did the job today for us Irish supporters

HMRH (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 17:10
Shame Leinster won as I wanted an Engish team - Irish poor today and was a very winnable match. Shame.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 17:12
Quote:
Horticbm
Ive given up going full stop, who wants to watch a poor, lack lustre team with no go?? Wonder why our support has dwindled?..self explanitory I believe, at least Leinster did the job today for us Irish supporters

Great to see you've given up on the team the week before our biggest game of the season

orsoncart (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 17:15
In the same boat.Have been a STH for years, have followed the club all over the place, and for the first time ever, just couldn't be bothered to go.

it's just that week after week we see the same thing- good players and a goodish team on paper, who aren't playing nearly as well as they should.

it's blindingly obvious that something isn't right

waltham (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 17:17
I really feel for the squad today. Given that Stade managed to make mincemeat of our lineouts, I thought some of our back line play was good and showed some enterprise. For most of the game our handling was better that Stade's and scrum was decent. Shane showed he can still play a bit BUT how on earth having managed to go ahead with the penalty and then claim the short restart ball did we not manage to simply hold onto the ball and rumble to wind the clock down????

Horticbm (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 17:25
Well done Leinster a great performance, nice to see them come from behind with a great performance

Shawshank (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 17:38
It's the hope that destroys you.

How can we contrive to find a different way to lose each week?

Stade's last re-start was not going to go 10, but instead of just letting it bounce and have a nice leisurely scrum on half-way, winding down the clock, our idiot plays the ball.

Then, instead of slowing it down and playing it tight we decide to be more expansive, another idiot then knocks on and gives away possession with 90 secs left.

And you knew deep down that they had too much quality not to win it given half a chance by our hapless play, and sure enough they do...

We seem to be the reverse of Tigers - each generation from their esteemed club seems to pass on the winning mentality to their younger players, no matter how poorly they play. All we pass on to our youngsters is the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Every bloody time.(Sm164)

One final thought - TBC's kicking out of hand today was a disgrace and an U 13 player would have got more distance.

Rosscaberry (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 19:06
Hugo I have not given up on London Irish. I am really frustrated. I shalll always support the team but I am really hacked off. London Irrish are fabulous club. Yes I will be at Worcester.

Horticbm (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 19:22
HugoLI...how many times have i heard that over the 40 or so years of following Irish...every game is an important game, but the team just doesn't make its happen.Look at the crowds they are dwindling, we are self destructing.

I will never stop supporting Irish, but reality tells the story, unless something happens we will end up like London Welsh or just like Yorkshire Carnegie or perhaps thats where we should be anyway

GHA (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 19:30
Our biggest game of the season, up until the home game against Worcester which will be the biggest game of the season. Two huge games, everything else a formality. It's like the championship season all over again.

Mallinder please

LLL (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 19:50
It’s bitterly disappointing. I don’t think anyone will be more upset than the players.

When I lost my wicket it was devastating....and then I heard people who didn’t know me claiming he didn’t care, was useless or it meant nothing to him. I was already choking inside, then to hear that...

As I said elsewhere something culturally is wrong and I sincerely hope the resolution can be found, as the players are good enough to be winning at least some of these marginal matches.

Narbia (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 20:06
Apart from the last 90 seconds, I've got to say I enjoyed that game. SF - a class team currently under-performing.

The players will be gutted - it was there for the taking.

Sure there were plenty mistakes both sides, but there were a lot of cold hands trying catch a ball.

Next week is the decider IMHO........ (Sm124)

Finno (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 01:12
I just got so annoyed in the last 10-15 mins. We could/should have won that game but we unloaded the bench of kids and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Did we care so little about winning the game that we were prepared to blood/give game time to youngsters despite the fact that we were winning and they unloaded their experienced bench. You could see what was going to happen, and it did!

I felt kind of cheated, it would be nice to experience a win, now and again! Blood the kids if we've the game won, but to do so when the game was in the balance, basically does all supporters a disservice! Not making those changes would have zero effect on next week, and we might actually have won! Nice boost for the club and the supporters. It wasn't a nothing game, a win today and a double against the Russians, and we might have qualified for the quarter finals...without impacting the survival fight!

My daughter said in the car home, that our new shirts for this season hadn't witnessed a win this season (as we'd bought them after the Quins game)...it's Xmas now, and the same feeling as two years ago descended on me!

I think next weeks game is make or break for the club. Lose and the gap will be too big to bridge, and another year in the Championship will finish us...it's that important.

Been really down, since the final whistle, at least Leinster won!!

Aa545 (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 07:11
Surely the crowds are dwindling just because we have moved from London, it has nothing to do with us being cr@p at doing the basics like catching , tackling , kicking etc.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 07:27
What is so annoying is that as one weakness is sorted another one then pops up.

Our scrum is now at least stable, and last week's dreadful defence was much improved.

But yesterday our line-out was a complete joke.

And the tactic of Steele passing 20 yd back to TBC who then lamely kicked for 30 yd to touch was utterly gormless. Why wasn't Steele box-kicking for touch?

Bazzo (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 10:54
I went to the game expecting to lose, especially when I saw the opposition, bloody size of them ! The game was entertaining and good to watch for me. We tried to run some good backs moves, some did not come off but I loved the ambition. The try ruled off for the forward pass was a shame, would definitely have made the highlights reel that one. Thought they came out flying in the second half and when they went ahead thought they would pull away so to put ourselves ahead and leading with minutes to go was so exciting. It was a bizarre finish and inexperience cost us, but I was not down about it at all, really enjoyed this game especially considering my pre game worries.

I would say this was a second string team that were very competitive for the whole game, thought Reid went very well and will gain valuable game time and fitness for that run out. Tonks looked great with ball in hand. The team gave everything so that indicates that the spirit is fine (do not really know what people mean when they say “culturally”). We simply lacked quality and game management at the right times to close the game out. When the former England international fly half went off for them they brought on a current French international I think, he upped their game a lot. They were a really good squad of players. I think that their squad was closest to first choice than ours.

Big mention to our back row who threw everything at them, despite serious lack of bulk, young Cooke looked so skinny, he made me smile and fair play to him. Seb de C put a great shift in. The scrum was amazing. Our team yesterday did not look good enough to win the Premiership but I think they would win the championship next year ! No point in going to games to make yourself miserable, its only a game.

M51 (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 19:33
Agree with Bazzo. The team played well; tbey should have won but for poor execution on the restart. Yes there were some areas of concern. But they were in the main a young team and need our support. So lets get behind the club during this time of critical importance.
COYI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net