rugbyunion
Latest News:

Lewington off!!
HeavyCream (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 06:01
Just been listening to the latest Eggchasers Rugby Podcast and a trusted rumour has Lewington header to Sarries next season. Done deal apparently!! Ugh, I knew we couldnít keep him but this is miserable. If it turns out to be true then Iím really happy for him though. England prospects.

Re: Lewington off!!
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 07:43
Not sure it should really be a done deal before Jan 1st....

But not massively surprising if true and I hope he does well there. Sure he'll remain 100% committed for the rest of the season.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 07:52
No surprise, it's a short and precarious life as a pro sportsman and he's got to do the best for himself.

Steelman (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 07:57
Not much better, sarries have just lost 7 in a row! Tee hee!

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 08:39
I donít begrudge him a chanc to play some decent rugby but I hate the early announcements they make. This isnít announced officially but when youíre in a dog fight, the last thing Iíd want to be reading is where team mates are heading off to next season. Just wait until the season is over

Fursa (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 11:06
I heard from a reliable source that he still has a year left on his contract

Narbia (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 11:14
Maybe an opportunity for Ben Ransom to get more game time ASAP!

PV (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 11:57
Who can blame him?

stnick88 (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 14:26
Quote:
Fursa

unfortunately your reliable source is wrong

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 14:35
This is now on sarries board

ďAccording to Tim Cocker of BT sport Alex Lewington to Sarries is a done deal for next season. Suggestions of Wyles being out of contract and Earle potentially to Quins. Saying that I would expect Ellery to seek pastures new at the end of the year so possibly Wyles staying on?Ē

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Florida (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 14:37
Quote:
stnick88
Quote:
Fursa

unfortunately your reliable source is wrong

Indeed, signed July 2013 for 3 years, extended for a further 2 years in Aug 2015, that takes him up to the end of this season.

Steelman (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 15:47
So it should be last game v wuss, and then Ransom, Loader,or Parton starting, if we have a future let's plan for it.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 15:55
Quote:
Steelman
So it should be last game v wuss, and then Ransom, Loader,or Parton starting, if we have a future let's plan for it.

Why should Worcester be his last game?

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 16:05
Are wuss the last game of the season?

stnick88 (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 16:08
just because he is leaving doesn't mean he shouldn't play. he is a professional and has never let us down. i am sure he wont want Irish to get relegated.

cjm. (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 16:24
He needs to go. Good player but he wont be great unless he plays in a better side and he hasn't done much this season IIRC.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 16:31
Personally think he's done a lot for us this season. Leading try scorer including an absolute better against saints, always makes breaks and has saved us in defence on a couple of occasions

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 17:22
Heís covered quite a few backline issues by making breaks that simply werenít there to be had. The back line will be now completely minus any potency. Maybe heíll link in well with the new 9 who seems to love a break. Lewi on the shoulder

Steelman (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 18:10
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Steelman

Why should Worcester be his last game?

Just my opinion,better prepare for a future without, with three gooduns looking for a chance. And it would make a rare positive statement to the remaining squad.

Florida (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 18:29
The three good ones waiting for a chance, are they as good as Lewi is right now? No? Then they don't get to play right now. You don't make your most potent attacking threat sit out the best part of 4 months of rugby because they won't be at the club the following season.

Also sets a terrible precedent, do we stop playing everyone that decides to join another club or retire? We'd be down to just the kids pretty damn quick.

Steelman (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 19:41
Quote:
Florida
The three good ones waiting for a chance, are they as good as Lewi is right now? No? Then they don't get to play right now. You don't make your most potent attacking threat sit out the best part of 4 months of rugby because they won't be at the club the following season.
Also sets a terrible precedent, do we stop playing everyone that decides to join another club or retire? We'd be down to just the kids pretty damn quick.

Think you missed I would start the others,
but I'm all for using Lewi as a real impact bencher.

Florida (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 20:30
Personally i think you're better off having your best players on the pitch for as long as possible. Of course, you can prepare for the future, but by not playing your best players the chances of that future being in the premiership are less likely.

GHA (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 20:53
The kids can't be much worse than the current lot

I agree with Steelman, I said it with Yarde too. Gardening leave. Thanks for your efforts but your heart's not in it so we're gonna bring in new blood

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 21:10
Think lewingtons situation is different to yardes. Lewington has been here a lot longer and despite having opportunities to leave he stuck by us through relegation. And he's still been putting in some really good shifts this season

Florida (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 21:40
Quote:
GHA
The kids can't be much worse than the current lot
I agree with Steelman, I said it with Yarde too. Gardening leave. Thanks for your efforts but your heart's not in it so we're gonna bring in new blood

So, a 2 / 3 year deal is actually only a 1.5 - 2.5 year deal? Good to know moving forward. I sure hope we make sure to stagger the contracts so we don't have lots of guys sitting about in Jan that we're refusing to play because they had the audacity of joing another club. What happens if they have a year on their contract and decide to play elsewhere when it's up (like Piautau) do stubbornly leave them as waterboy for a season?

Bazzo (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 22:43
Quote:
Steelman
Quote:
Florida

Think you missed I would start the others,
but I'm all for using Lewi as a real impact bencher.

So you would leave your best finisher, international player on the bench? I would say that the team most happy about that would be Sarries? No chance of him leaving with an injury. You would pay his wages (assuming he is a highly paid player) to keep him on the bench? Personally I would do the opposite, Iíd get as much out of him before he left. Donít think it even makes good business sense to leave such big wages sitting round watching the games.

Lewington is a good professional and wants to play at the highest level he can, good luck to him, I wish him well but I would rather he left with the sweat pouring out of him than having bench blisters.

Steelman (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 03:21
Yep, the more. I think about it the more I like. Joe, Loader,Parton,get 50 minutes to do something and whoever said not delivering gets replaced by Lewi, perfect. But for his final game, I'd just leave him on th bench,just to show we wouldn't miss him.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 07:11
Quote:
Steelman
Yep, the more. I think about it the more I like. Joe, Loader,Parton,get 50 minutes to do something and whoever said not delivering gets replaced by Lewi, perfect. But for his final game, I'd just leave him on th bench,just to show we wouldn't miss him.

I think it would be really poor to just leave him on the bench last game of the season just to 'show him we won't miss him'. He always gives his all and is our best winger by a mile. He must play

cjm. (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 09:19
Quote:
Hugo.LI
Personally think he's done a lot for us this season. Leading try scorer including an absolute better against saints, always makes breaks and has saved us in defence on a couple of occasions

Yet unfortunately we are where we are. A player with his talent ( and it is a lot of talent ) should be showing up more but what I have seen have been more like cameos. Good luck to him whatever, he has produced some magic moments.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 09:42
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Hugo.LI

Yet unfortunately we are where we are. A player with his talent ( and it is a lot of talent ) should be showing up more but what I have seen have been more like cameos. Good luck to him whatever, he has produced some magic moments.

Fairly hard to stand out on the end of our backline at the moment. He's shown up on more than his fair share of occasions this season. If a few others were pulling their weight and creating something out of nothing, things wouldn't look quite so bleak.

cjm. (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 10:09
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Hugo.LI

Fairly hard to stand out on the end of our backline at the moment. He's shown up on more than his fair share of occasions this season. If a few others were pulling their weight and creating something out of nothing, things wouldn't look quite so bleak.

Agreed, pretty much what I was saying. At the moment we need a team, worrying about individuals isn't going to help much. Coaching and motivation is what seems to be in short supply.

GHA (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 11:56
I wish him well and thanks for sticking with us and stuff but would rather play players who want to be here and want to crack on into next season, rather than those who are here for now but are off to bigger and better things shortly

Aa545 (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 12:05
Loose Friday and we are down.
What is the point of playing him after then if he isnít going to be here next season. Would it not make more sense to play players who will be here next year giving them time to gel as a team in time for next season?

Florida (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 12:10
Quote:
Aa545
Loose Friday and we are down.
What is the point of playing him after then if he isnít going to be here next season. Would it not make more sense to play players who will be here next year giving them time to gel as a team in time for next season?

Jesus Christ!

Aa545 (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 12:51
Quote:
Florida
Jesus Christ!

Donít think even he can save us.

19 December, 2017 13:09
At least he hasn't gone to Bath. (Sm159)

Derby Irish Fan (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 13:29
If he goes good luck to him, so all the people in sport who sign Jan agreements should not play madness hope all the doom merchants will be at wuzz Friday night supporting the team will be glad to see you there

Jolly Green Giant (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 13:36
I will be there and I am sure the lad will give us his full till the end of his stay ... Great player but needs a better club sadly

Florida (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 13:45
Quote:
Aa545
Quote:
Florida
Jesus Christ!

Donít think even he can save us.

Certainly not with your outlook!

Finno (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 14:47
Good luck to him and I wish him well. Unfortunately its the nature of professional rugby. Shame we couldn't have improved enough to persuade him to stay, which is the real bummer about the whole situation.

He's given us some great moments in the last few years and I'm confident he will do that again between now and the end of the season. We've got to continue to play him!

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 15:10
Smith did the same thing to Joseph when he announced he was off

Steelman (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 15:44
Don't fret lads,I'm sure the Amigos will have the same confused idea of loyalty as yourselves. Lewi is leaving his teammates and coaches because they are neither good enough or pay enough to match his future aspirations, to join a rival team.In those circumstances, team and development must come first. Trouble is Lewi does the kind of things we enjoy watching,that's the rub.

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 07:51
Quote:
Props are not stupid
At least he hasn't gone to Bath. (Sm159)

Who, Jesus? I think He'd walk across the top of the bath rather than getting in it...

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Portcullis Irish (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 20:02
Quote:
Finno
Good luck to him and I wish him well. Unfortunately its the nature of professional rugby. Shame we couldn't have improved enough to persuade him to stay, which is the real bummer about the whole situation.
He's given us some great moments in the last few years and I'm confident he will do that again between now and the end of the season. We've got to continue to play him!

Spot On

Florida (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 23:48
Yup, let's drop him.

GHA (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 23:54
Crazy try, but 23-8 or 23-3 is still a 4-0 loss

Florida (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 00:42
Quote:
GHA
Crazy try, but 23-8 or 23-3 is still a 4-0 loss

So true and none of our future games will be close and need a moment of magic to sneak a win.

SteveS (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 17:18
Fine player but just too small to get picked by Eddie Jones

Nick4219 (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 21:49
Quote:
SteveS
Fine player but just too small to get picked by Eddie Jones

He's just as big as Jonny May and bigger than Jack Nowell!

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 22:04
And is very powerful

Fursa (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 22:03
From Sarries Board

Hmmm Andy Goode stating on Rugby Pod that deal fallen through for Lewington...

Wasps fan here. I have also heard from another source that Lewington is not now going to Sarries. Should Josh Bassett leave (as is rumoured) then I would not be disappointed if he came to Coventry.
Always held him in high regard.

Florida (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 22:28
Wait. The deal that couldn't be a deal because they're not allowed to talk until January has fallen through? Or wasn't a cast iron deal in the first place?

Still plenty of time for Lewi to find elsewhere though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 22:31 by Florida.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 22:32
Quote:
Fursa
From Sarries Board
Hmmm Andy Goode stating on Rugby Pod that deal fallen through for Lewington...

Wasps fan here. I have also heard from another source that Lewington is not now going to Sarries. Should Josh Bassett leave (as is rumoured) then I would not be disappointed if he came to Coventry.
Always held him in high regard.

To be honest I think wasps would be better for lewington. Love the way you guys get the ball out wide and create space. Any sort of space and he will exploit it.

Heaf (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 23:15
probably end up at Bath with the rest of them sad smiley

Marbo (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 19:20
Outside of the Exeter chiefs what club wouldn't want Lewington he's a class player. I wouldn't rule out Bristol getting involved trying to get his signature they seem to be on the look out for English players may in an effect to get their EPS credits

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net