7-0 Down already

Re: No Surprise
cjm. (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:07
All the basic skills are gone.....

Jester (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:10
How slow is the LI 9, may as well send a telegram to the Worcs defense.

Horticbm (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:13
Worcs 10 Irish 0

Cornish boy (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:15
(Sm95)

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:18
From the few minutes I did catch, it was all lateral and quickly got turned over. Worcester will probably allow Irish to have the ball and defend rather than risk penalities by competing at every ruck

CooperMan (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:20
Radio feed anywhere?

Coops
WTF

Miksant (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:21
It's not just that though. Our ball carriers are so static, both in terms of the backs and forwards. Agreed that the ball hasn't been quick, but if he had anyone actually running hard dynamic lines round the corner at least he would have options to hit. Not a single person seemingly running a hard dynamic line. At times he has picked the ball up and just has no options. Kind of the same for the backs, one nice strike move of the line out created space but beyond that set piece move its like the backs have little idea or structure. Just ship it down the line and let the Worc defence drift and hit. Tough to see us making a line break - plan seems to be meander through a lot of phases and hope Lewi does some magic. Hard to see an attacking game plan / structure here...

cjm. (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:24
Quote:
Jester
How slow is the LI 9, may as well send a telegram to the Worcs defense.

It's because he has to wind up to throw it to a guy 20 metres behind the gainline. Clueless tactics and coaching.Truly awful.

Horticbm (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:27
Worcs 10 Irish 3

Horticbm (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:32
Yay try 10-8

Jester (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:33
Good try by Lewington, hopefully his get up and go will transfer to the rest of the team

Horticbm (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:34
Worcs 15 Irish 8.........

Cornish boy (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:35
Quote:
Jester
Good try by Lewington, hopefully his get up and go will transfer to the rest of the team

Obviously not...

cjm. (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:35
And normal defence service resumed.

Horticbm (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:36
17-8(Sm74)

Jester (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:38
That was god awful attempts at tackling

Horticbm (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:39
HT Worcs 17 Irish 8.......last 15 mins all Irish but dont look like scoring..Worcs make great breaks and look confident in scoring every time

peejay (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:43
Defence is truly poor and Lewington apart, fairly clueless in attack. Just what are the coaches doing?

NMB (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:44
I feel for topsy, running out of answers to the questions on why London Irish are so consistently poor all of the time

Sm1ler (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:46
No creativity in attack and no defensive structure. The signs are that the players have given up belief in any of the plans or tactics we may or may not have had. Itís really sad to watch and embarrassing. Itís one thing to go down fighting but another to stand still and let it happen.

PV (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:47
Quote:
NMB
I feel for topsy, running out of answers to the questions on why London Irish are so consistently poor all of the time

Coaching? ĎGets terrifies as knows will be accused of being disloyal, overly harsh etc etc.í Same result time and again, we have to change it up.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:47
They tried to say that defence wasnít down to coaching, who else is it down to? Danaher is a £hite defence coach. Conceding so many from first phase. no one at Irish has ever had the ability to actually be honest and say what the problem problem is

Cornish boy (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:48
At least we have a world class training facility

Horticbm (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:49
HT Worcs 17 Irish 8.......last 15 mins all Irish but dont look like scoring..Worcs make great breaks and look confident in scoring every time

Horticbm (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:52
We look like a Championship team, Worcs are making us look mediocre..unless something changes quickly thats where we will stay..good players dont make good managers....look at Martin Johnson

Horticbm (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:04
Worcs 20 Irish 8......Ship is leaking everywhere

Horticbm (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:13
Worcs 23 Irish 8,,,,,,as the lookout said on the Titanic...Iceberg, what Iceberg?....I think its time Nick Kennedy and his team depart and lets get a Coaching team who can get a team playing,no wonder our support is dwindling.

Jamo (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:27
Weíre relegated again. Another pathetic inept display. The heart has gone from this club.

bertles86 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:40
What we're missing is a quality 9/10 combo. We haven't had a prem quality 9 since Hodgy.

Sm1ler (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:40
At least we can start rebuilding for the championship now...

Horticbm (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:43
Thats an extra 4 points Worcs have pulled away from us.

Time to go Nick..lets get someone to get this team a Manager who knows how to get the best out of the team..

Mirror of London Welsh..

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:46
Even though we have plenty time to get some wins under our belt, tonight would have done an awful lot of damage to the squad. How do they go into training and listen to the likes of hodgson and danaher who are in charge of our weakest areas.
Iím resigned to relegation already, makes Christmas a bit easier. With the young lads we have, thereís still a future but if theyíre not contracted properly and nurtured by proper coaches then theyíll go onto to be winners in other clubs colours.

cjm. (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:47
Yup, the coaching team have lost the players and the players are now making it up themselves with disastrous results.

lawley (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:49
well that was rubbish, sorry but we need to change the management asap or else we wont be around much longer😢😢😢

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:51
Iíd still keep Nick, but as a partnership. Iíd lose the other two as quick as possible

orsoncart (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:52
Anyone can see that there is something seriously wrong at Irish. The coaching setup with BV just isn't working. The performance is way less than it should be.

I fear that attendances will go into free fall and the Brentford business plan will look sick.

Great to have a world class training facility, but it ain't delivering a decent team

Surely in order to protect the investment, some major change has to be made

HMRH (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:52
Really poor and clearly Championship now - will
Keep on coming but no pretending now - we werenít good enough by some way and I canít see a way back

Horticbm (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:53
Abandon ship

cjm. (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:53
Quote:
jimbo800
Iíd still keep Nick, but as a partnership. Iíd lose the other two as quick as possible

Why? He's as poor as the rest. Never comes across as being a demanding coach in any way.

Sm1ler (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:54
They are a young coaching team who desperately need help. Please please please get them some experienced support if we are going to stick by them long term. The Venter situation seems just like the Edwards debacle when things just got worse rather than better.

Meb4568 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:58
We are simply not good enough.... the bench made a difference- Tiks, Woolfstoncroft, lovejoy, Noggers, Steel all made a difference mostly because of the energy and passion they brought. Need changes and must take risks from now.... nothing to lose.

GHA (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:59
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
jimbo800

Why? He's as poor as the rest. Never comes across as being a demanding coach in any way.

+1

NMB (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:01
Absolutely, take risks, try new things and for god's sake play something that's at least watchable. It's hideous!

cjm. (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:01
Quote:
Sm1ler
They are a young coaching team who desperately need help. Please please please get them some experienced support if we are going to stick by them long term. The Venter situation seems just like the Edwards debacle when things just got worse rather than better.

Exactly, they are all inexperienced. You can carry one but to have three is just silly. A big mistake was made when they decided on this insular strategy despite Bob Casey's pronouncements on it.

GHA (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:05
They are young and inexperienced and wet behind the ears and need help and bleed green and quite frankly aren't good enough. #pray4mallinder

Cornish boy (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:05
I just dont understand why we play so static and slow, it must be a coaching decision as it is almost 100% of the time until we change the 9 and then suddenly the delivery speed increases.

The downside with this gameplay is that by the time we decide to speed up the delivery, the ball carriers are so knackered from the hard work in the first 60 minutes there is no-one to burst over the gainline.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:08
Why oh why did we ever sack Glen...?

Luton Irish (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:10
New Defence coach, (from Rugby league), New Backs Coach plus skills and Fitness Coaches required ASAP!!!

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:10
Story of the season really. Loads of possession and territory but never look like winning the game and conceding off first phase.

Injuries really mounting as well as they did the last time we went down.

Lose against Newcastle next week and we should give Parton, Loader, Brand and Curtis-Harris a shot at AP rugby.

Steele upped the tempo when he came on, but we still need more dynamism up front and in the midfield. The injuries Hobbs-Awoyemi and Mcnally have really hurt us. Assume Hoskins is injured too and hope it's not serious.

22 December, 2017 22:11
Quote:
Luton Irish
New Defence coach, (from Rugby league), New Backs Coach plus skills and Fitness Coaches required ASAP!!!

Better players would top my list

Hangover (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:17
A neutral here - why on earth did the coach, (whoever) decide to bring on three complete green horn front rowers, all at the same time, at a crucial stage of the match. Of course they are going to **** up ! They needed to be drip fed in so the experience was still there to help them.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:17
Time for change. We are effectively relegated but there is still 11 games to play (we are at the half way point). If Malinder is interested then the club should find the funds. He will also want the current coaching staff replaced including Ventner.

We need to quickly get to a point where we have a chance of wining at the start of a game.

Sm1ler (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:22
The best running lines in our back play came from Blair when he had to cover for Bell. Suddenly with quick ball from Steele and Blair on the crash ball we started making them have to think about their defence.

GHA (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:27
Quote:
Sm1ler
The best running lines in our back play came from Blair when he had to cover for Bell. Suddenly with quick ball from Steele and Blair on the crash ball we started making them have to think about their defence.

Best running lines nothing to do with the coaching

Our solitary try nothing to do with the coaching

sad smiley

cjm. (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:29
Quote:
Hangover
A neutral here - why on earth did the coach, (whoever) decide to bring on three complete green horn front rowers, all at the same time, at a crucial stage of the match. Of course they are going to **** up ! They needed to be drip fed in so the experience was still there to help them.

It's what happens when the manager doesn't have experience and therefore relies on preplanned game plan ie doesn't have the ability to think according to the situation. Before that the scrum was holding it's own and should have only been changed out of necessity. Another argument for all players being to play a full 80 minutes not 60.

Strom (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:30
Quote:
Shawshank
Why oh why did we ever sack Glen...?

erm, because he did a good job, but wasn't one of the 'lads' ?

Sm1ler (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:43
At least itís not as bad as the Gary Gold era.... oh hang on...

Strom (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 23:38
I've got to add that I truly feel for the players who gave 100%. Not least Cowan and Coman.
It wasn't humanly possible to give any more !! *sigh*

The Sligo Rover (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 01:32
For the first time this season I noticed considerable strain on the face of Nick Kennedy, it cannot be good for him or his health. It would not surprise me if the three of them stood down very shortly. Unfortunately it is to late already. No way back now unfortunately.

23 December, 2017 08:13
I am very tempted to just give up now. If it wasn't for buying a ST, I'd simply go and find something else to do on a Saturday. I love this club but it's getting to the point where I can't remember what a win feels like.

I don't actually think think this is the players' fault - its down to the coaches and obvious lack of a solid game plan. Also, I'd like to know what Venter has done. Kennedy's post match interview with BT suggested heavily he is at Irish for the long run...

For anyone interested, I believe there is some sort of fan-meet before the Newcastle game in the hotel - presumably the club are going to "reassure us we are heading in the right direction" as they often do.

Oh well, it's only a game. And 52 players' jobs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 08:14 by London Irish 'til I die.

TSW22 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 08:14
Bring back Smiffy!

why fronts? (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 08:51
In the first 5 mins of 5he second half we kicked it straight into Worcester hands 4 times, or was it more? The Worcester fan next to me said ďYou just canít keep doing thatĒ

Summed it up nicely.

I just do not understand why we do that. It is complete capitulation.

The Sligo Rover (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 09:22
I will be spending the match days elsewhere next season. Have had quite a few great days over the last 21 years but have reached the end of the road now and will not be renewing our two season tickets next year. I fear for the future of this great club.

sweetas (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 09:43
Likewise TSR, 20yrs S/T holder with family and friends, great times and memories, but canít watch anymore of the current dross, the thought of more championship rugby and the potential move to Brentford.

garmin (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 10:36
@TSW22

Bring back smiffy?!!

HAHA ! It was bringing smiffy back in 2012 that started the rot !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 10:38 by garmin.

orsoncart (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 10:39
Funnily enough, it's not the thought of Championship rugby which will mean that I won't renew - I enjoyed last season a lot, not just the winning, but the visits to some great traditional clubs - it's the combination of seriously disappointing rugby week after week, plus the way that the move to Brentford has been positioned that has done it for me, with zero communication and perceived commitment to the Reading 3000.

It's a real shame

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 11:06 by orsoncart.

Horticbm (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 11:13
Theres nothing in this team, bar Lewington that says we are Premier League.We are almost doing a London Welsh job.We buy has beens on their last legs, or budget players and with the poor coaching team look where we are, a reflection of what we bought and managed, bottom of the league playing poor amateur rugby.

We are worse than the Gary Gold era, as good as Tom Coventry era...its just freefall.

Theres nothing to hide, we are awlful

Shawshank (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 12:23
What's the point in waiting until the last minute to bust a gut, when you are 15 pts down?

I'd like to see a lot more energy and effort in the first few minutes of a match - when we have generally been well of the pace.

And the only guy I have ever seen on the pitch recently giving the lads a 'call to arms' has been Gilly.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 12:40
Speaking of Gilly, heís always been getting good feedback on thes boards yet he neve gets the nod in th big games. Poor selection is a common problem, reputation over performances.

tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 12:44
(Just posted this on another thread, but think it's better served as a comment on this thread)

I've been quit critical of people blaming the coaches for performances. But last night I saw a team without an idea of the basic principles of a game plan.

Missing:

Kick off receive strategy
Kick off strategy
Middle of pitch slow ball strategy
22 exit strategy
Long deep kick receive strategy
5metre line attack strategy
5 metre line defense strategy

One of the most criminal things we kept doing was ineffectivly using slow ball. Giving up and sending out wide with no support to be turned over. Or a good kick would be put in behind the wing but there would be nobody around to chase. Due to the forwards scrapping close to the ruck. Then the ball flashing out faster than they can support.

The more I watch now. The more I see 15 good players with no connection to each other in terms of strategy on the pitch... so they try whatever they can when they get the ball... There's 15 different game plans on the pitch at one time...

Horticbm (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 12:58
With reference to the above, reminds me of the Ireland team pre Brian 'O' Driscol days.One of the pundits when asked why Ireland lost most of their matches in a given period given their strength in depth, pundit replied Ireland have 15 good players, the only problem there are 15 captains in the team on the pitch at any one time.

WE NEED LEADERSHIP!!!

23 December, 2017 13:43
Quote:
Horticbm
With reference to the above, reminds me of the Ireland team pre Brian 'O' Driscol days.One of the pundits when asked why Ireland lost most of their matches in a given period given their strength in depth, pundit replied Ireland have 15 good players, the only problem there are 15 captains in the team on the pitch at any one time.
WE NEED LEADERSHIP!!!

Ireland didn't have a lot of depth in the 90s. A lot of deeply average players got capped, so would be interesting to know the context there.

I tend to think that the reality is that a lot of our players aren't as good as people think they are (at least not by AP standards). Sure, coaching is an issue, but I don't think clubs will be fighting over too many of them when we go down.

cjm. (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:41
Quote:
Horticbm
Theres nothing in this team, bar Lewington that says we are Premier League.We are almost doing a London Welsh job.We buy has beens on their last legs, or budget players and with the poor coaching team look where we are, a reflection of what we bought and managed, bottom of the league playing poor amateur rugby.
We are worse than the Gary Gold era, as good as Tom Coventry era...its just freefall.

Theres nothing to hide, we are awlful

I would add Marshall, De Chaves to Lewington. There are also quite a few that in a better setup would be up there. I really rate Marshall but he doesn't have enough quality around him.

I still think the collegiate coaching setup with no real bite is the biggest problem. With the right coach I don't think we would be on our own in the basement.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 17:23
We have too many average players, itís been an issue for us for about four/five years now. I know budget has plenty to do with it but players also know where they want to be playing their rugby, itís not us.From our current starting team:
15. Bell, he was a squad player at tigers. To me he is a big boot, heís done nothing to show he has anything else to offer.
14. Lewington. Class player, future prem winner I imagine. Not keeping him
13. Ferg. Been a stalwart in the team but I doubt heíd get in any other prem team. Effort is there for all to see but he has limitations that are exposed when surrounded by mediocre players.
12. McLean. Journey man who seems to have had a solid international career but a pretty irrelevant club career.
11. Joe has the goods, but wonít see any of it unless he gets a proper coach to work with him.
10. Marshall is a smart operator, plays whatís in front of him, typical kiwi. Surrounded by mediocrity which renders him ineffective
9. Steele. Solid but I donít think heíd get in any other team.
8. Trev, plays hard every time but his best years are gone. Still throws himself about. Other clubs would have let him go by now.
7. Cowan, consistency is his middle name. Thank god we have him.
6. Coman, another keeper, exactly what we need but canít do everything
5. De Chaves. Would be more effective with better players around him.
4. VDM played well but he wonít be around for long. Will need replacing next season
3. Franks. Solid last season which is what we needed. Hasnít had the effect that we probably hoped he would. This season hasnít been a great showing, slowed down a lot. Was great in the loose last year.
2. Paice. No lack of effort but nothing to show for it. If dawiduik was fit he would have been our starter.
1. PdP, hasnít worked out at all.

For me only about seven are decent enough to be playing week in week out. The rest would be squad players or championship players.

We also have a few that simply arenít as good as we think they are.
Williams hasnít kicked on at all. We wonít know if thatís down to him not being as good as we thought or if itís down to no backs coaching.
Fowlie. I donít think any other prem team would chase him. Works hard and runs a lot but to little effect. Same issue, is it him or the coaching.
Theo, to me simply isnít a ten. Hasnt developed at all after promising so much.

We have some genuinely exciting young players coming through which would flourish when coached by a qualified backs coach. We just need to make sure we keep them.

Itís not a disaster at the club, but we never make the correct changes. Itís shocking the players weíve let go who still offered plenty.
Tagi got picked up by a very good wasps team, Thompstone is always starting a tigers,
Short left us and won the prem again.

The guys who refused contracts, many left because they knew we werenít a club striving for success. As much as we slagged Goode, in his podcast he told the story of training at irish. He knew we were going down before the season even started. Ambitious players will steer clear. The ones we had left in a hurry.

Changes needed, just start making the right changes for once. Plenty good going on, just donít se it because of the poor results. Proper coach, no more sentimental contracts.

GHA (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 17:46
Well said jimbo800

Need to be more ruthless

Need to sort out shambolic recruitment

#pray4mallinder

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net