rugbyunion
Latest News:

Thought for the players
why fronts? (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 10:32
Amongst the disappointment of losing, I find myself prone to forgetting the massive efforts put in by the players.

I watched them give their absolute all last night. Even when the game was well and truly gone, they worked like mad to go for the line right till the final whistle.

Sad result but it certainly wasn’t for want of effort.

Re: Thought for the players
Horticbm (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 11:17
I would disagree with you there, there is a saying "busy fool?", a lot of nothing being achieved what ever we di For most the match we were clueless, absolutely clueless, according to Nick Kennedy there's a lot of rugby to play yet.

God forbid, another 11 league matches playing this poorly.Laughing stock!!!

GHA (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 11:25
You could pick a team of 15 people from this message board who would give 100% effort, commitment, heart, playing to the last, bodies on the line etc. Wouldn't get any points though

tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 12:42
I've been quit critical of people blaming the coaches for performances. But last night I saw a team without an idea of the basic principles of a game plan.

Missing:

Kick off receive strategy
Kick off strategy
Middle of pitch slow ball strategy
22 exit strategy
Long deep kick receive strategy
5metre line attack strategy
5 metre line defense strategy

One of the most criminal we kept doing was ineffectivly using slow ball. Giving up and sending out wide with no support to be turned over. Or a good kick would be put in behind the wing but there would be nobody around to chase. Due to the forwards scrapping close to the ruck. Then the ball flashing out faster than they can support.

The more I watch now. The more I see 15 good players with no connection to each other in terms of strategy on the pitch... so they try whatever they can when they get the ball... There's 15 different game plans on the pitch at one time...

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 15:21
Can I also add Meehan was soo bloody slow that, he angered me with this. Allows Worcester to organise themselves. We were too predictable. Steele comes on and quickens the game straight away.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

cjm. (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:36
Quote:
Exile_Dave
Can I also add Meehan was soo bloody slow that, he angered me with this. Allows Worcester to organise themselves. We were too predictable. Steele comes on and quickens the game straight away.

I think the backs standing so bloody far away didn't help. Need to be close to get quick passes away.

Overprescriptive coaching may be part of what is killing the players speed and confidence. Meehan started the season pretty well IIRC but has significantly slowed down since.

LLL (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 18:08
To be fair the thread said about effort, nothing else.

Not lack of ability, inadequate skill levels, gormless tactics or an absence of strategy.

Just effort. Wholehearted commitment which was apparent last night.

Despriarno (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 18:09
Quote:
Exile_Dave

We need to look at why our scrum halves are so slow

It is the lack of options to pass. They have to wait 2-3 seconds for an option

Watching the match from the stands yesterday that was the clear difference. Our forwards get the ball secure but there in nothing in attack to allow a fast ball. Either from the backs or forwards

Forget our defence, forget set pieces
We offer nothing in attack

Last night only a speculative (but good) move from Lewington threatened the Warriors

The warrior fans we spoke to agreed that it was two poor teams but where we presented no threat they did not feel in any danger

tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 23:50
We always have an issue with our scrum halves. Yet in recent years we've had one of the best irish scrum halves in history (oleary) hodgeson steele allinson.

Meehan was slow. He was criminal for not attacking the guard area and sniping more. But a professional scrum half (who WAS known for sniping) wouldn't stop doing that unless an ill conceived game plan was presented to him...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net