rugbyunion
Latest News:

Brendan venter
Earlyirishfan96 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 00:43
I know it may be a little too late in regards to venter now joining as a fully time coach. But, I came across a fairly recent interview and couldn't help but think if he was here from the start how better things would of been. Just how he talks about the game is incomparable to Kennedy's post match nonsense.
The link to the interview:
[youtu.be]

Re: Brendan venter
Aa545 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:31
Clutching at straws.
Italy and South Africa arenít exactly settIng the world on fire.
A fresh start and a clear out is needed.

Anonymous User (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:03
Thanks for posting that, only about 10 mins through but it's an interesting interview

Steelman (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:21
Well that's good.If he can get his philosophy over in 10 minutes,then that should improve on Dodges 30 hours a week of running players round cones! Skills coach,pah!

Bazzo (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 19:12
Quote:
Steelman
Well that's good.If he can get his philosophy over in 10 minutes,then that should improve on Dodges 30 hours a week of running players round cones! Skills coach,pah!

That post is out of order. Dodge I would venture knows more about rugby skills than yourself yet you are qualified to come on here and spout that kind of crap.

Mind you if you are spying on sessions and see that they are running around cones for 30 hours a week thatís very useful insight. Thanks for that great contribution.

Steelman (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 19:42
Look at the league table,study our backs play,your defending the indefencible but fair play to you for that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2017 19:53 by Steelman.

grumpy1960 (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 16:58
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Steelman

That post is out of order. Dodge I would venture knows more about rugby skills than yourself yet you are qualified to come on here and spout that kind of crap.

Mind you if you are spying on sessions and see that they are running around cones for 30 hours a week thatís very useful insight. Thanks for that great contribution.

Bazzo get a grip mate! This is a supporters message board where supporters who have paid either for London Irish Membership or individual games can air their opinions, Steelman is well within his right to air what he feels , You donít have to agree with them( you clearly donít) but thatís what makes this board our only vehicle our collected frustrations & possible celebrations of our next win . We have been very close on a few of the last home games this season but apart from Paris nowhere near the Standard on our away matches. This is down to various reasons but where does the Buck stop? Players ( who can actually influence the outcome) or Coaches (Who are clearly out of their depth at this level)

HeavyCream (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 20:10
Quote:
grumpy1960
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Steelman

Bazzo get a grip mate! This is a supporters message board where supporters who have paid either for London Irish Membership or individual games can air their opinions, Steelman is well within his right to air what he feels , You donít have to agree with them( you clearly donít) but thatís what makes this board our only vehicle our collected frustrations & possible celebrations of our next win . We have been very close on a few of the last home games this season but apart from Paris nowhere near the Standard on our away matches. This is down to various reasons but where does the Buck stop? Players ( who can actually influence the outcome) or Coaches (Who are clearly out of their depth at this level)

Is Bazzo not also entitled to air how he feels? You donít have to agree with him......

waltham (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 20:13
What surprises me is that we don't see Dodge on the sidelines screaming "...line speed.." as he used to do when still a player/water boy

Bazzo (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 20:41
Quote:
grumpy1960
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Steelman
Well that's good.If he can get his philosophy over in 10 minutes,then that should improve on Dodges 30 hours a week of running players round cones! Skills coach, pah!

Get a grip yourself Grumpy.... mate. like you say it is a place where supporters (members or not I have no idea) can air their opinions, Iím just expressing mine, which is what you purport to be in favour of?

The big difference between the language used is what kills me. Give an opinion by all means but making statements about a coach having all his players running round cones for 30 hours a week (and skills coach, Phah) is not something that I deem acceptable. Mostly because it is not true. I actually stop myself from replying to loads of posts on here. There is an undertone of vile and language that I deem unacceptable. There is a vendetta to try and get rid of the coaches that disappoints me greatly. Players are the problem for me. The coaches stuck by us last year when we needed them, why cant we stand by them now? People commenting that we are worse than London Welsh who went down a few years ago, which is complete rubbish (they got one point in the whole season and were regularly beaten by 50 points and more).

Whether people want to accept it or not, we actually are competitive as a team. We are absolutely favourites to go down and that is down to one thing.... we are not good enough ! But, we are competitive! We did beat Quins, we could have beaten Tigers, Falcons (twice), Bath, Wasps and Worcester for all our rubbish play did not get a bonus point against us. Are we the worst team in the league? Yes.... but we are the promoted team, we were favourites to go down before a ball was kicked? What did people expect? Resorting to hiding behind keyboards and dishing it out to coaches like Dodge is wrong to me, I have never talked to the man, but I assume he is hurting more than people on here. I am sure he is working on ways to get results in this league.

What disappoints me most is people acting like Wendy ball supporters and calling for heads to roll, genuinely I thought rugby supporters were different and could take defeat better and with a bit of dignity. Personally I think that the championship is our level, we do not have the ground of our own and most importantly the money to compete at a high level in this league. (I only assume the changes that everyone wants is coming out of the owners pockets and not the supporters pockets) Canít wait to get back there myself. In the
meantime you keep throwing your opinions out that you believe buying a ticket entitles you to and I will keep giving mine. Keep it classy though.

grumpy1960 (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 21:00
A bit too much Sherry last night Bazzo!
Especially if you think we are competitive then you are totally deluded & please donít insult me by aligning me with a football supporter.

As a professional club there should be experienced players standing up and showing real commitment especially in the tackle , We have the worst defence in the premiership and most tries conceded from First phase , please tell me if if it not the defensive coach or his strategy at fault then who is? surely not poor money spending sods turning up every other weekend hoping something miraculous has changed since the last shambles .

Bazzo (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 23:52
Quote:
grumpy1960
Especially if you think we are competitive then you are totally deluded & please donít insult me by aligning me with a football supporter.

As a professional club there should be experienced players standing up and showing real commitment especially in the tackle , We have the worst defence in the premiership and most tries conceded from First phase , please tell me if if it not the defensive coach or his strategy at fault then who is? surely not poor money spending sods turning up every other weekend hoping something miraculous has changed since the last shambles .

Donít drink Sherry Grumpy one, must be your tipple. Of course we have the worst defence in the premiership...... we are bottom. The players miss tackles mate. Thereís your problem.

02 January, 2018 00:12
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
grumpy1960

Donít drink Sherry Grumpy one, must be your tipple. Of course we have the worst defence in the premiership...... we are bottom. The players miss tackles mate. Thereís your problem.

While we do have the worst defense in the league, our tackle completion stats are on a par with the rest of the league, so it's not entirely down to missed tackles. Missed tackles, narrow defending, poor positioning, concentration lapses, inability to stop a decent leg drive and poor ball retention have been really hurting us. Some of its coaching, some of its the players. To be fair some of it seems to be improving.

There was a really key piece in this interview for me, it was when BV stated that a team should be playing to the best of their ability, week in week out. They may not be the best team, but they will beat the top teams because they will have off days, but his team wouldn't. Hopefully he can instil this principle into us.

Ruckingood (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 06:30
Bazzo

One of your comments is a tad wrong and I feel that this is a key for any turn around that the club has planned. "The coaches stuck by us last year when we needed them, why cant we stand by them now?"

Last year we had an attack coach and a skills coach whilst this year we have combined the roles. After watching the game on the weekend, it kills me that we have no first phase starter moves at all. Last year, albeit against lesser opposition, we had great fist phase moves off our scrum and lineout.. today.. Nada. when facing an umbrella defense with the opposition 13 pushing up hard, we panic instead of seeing an opportunity to attack the gap he has created. Too often I see the ball head to the wing with no one fixing their defenders by taking a few paces forward or inside prior to passing. All this does is allow a drift defence to come into play and @#$%& me.. we get smashed behind the gain line over the far side and then expect the forwards to be there to crash it up. Once or twice is okay to soften the defense up but every time?? no wonder the forwards look @#$%& after 20mins.

Combining skills and attack has proven a poor move on behalf of the coaching staff and shoudl be rectified asap. As for skills... hands man.. hands. dropping simple or even tough passes at this level is a killer and some of our backs are just not there. It was interesting to see that when we had a crack from our 22 (the last minute of the game) we looked dangerous and baring a somewhat pedantic call from the touchy, could have led to a try. As I noted in a previous post, we have the cattle but the game plan is flawed and takes any flair out of the game. Lewington has had his best moments by saying sod the game plan and I am having a crack. Marshall has made great line breaks when allowed as opposed to bending the defense, creating holes and then kicking the sodding ball away as was seen last weekend...

We have little to loose and everything to gain now by just letting what talent we have play and give everything a shot. i would rather see the guys go for it and loose by 15 than be stymied and predictable and loose by 8. we can do it but not until Nick and the team realise that 2018 needs to be more creative and adventurous.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 11:55
Very good point Ruckingood, and I agree with you. Our attack is not what it should be. I believe (and I might be wrong) that what we lack is ball carriers. We are not punching holes and creating space. I personally think our back rows are good defenders as are our centres (when Ferg plays) but we have no go forward, we constantly run into brick walls. Refs are seeing us as the weaker team and giving decisions against us at the first available opportunity.

We did have an extra coach last year (Laidlaw) and if I remember correctly he was slated all year for being rubbish and toothless. Most people wanted rid of him, just like the agenda is to get rid of our coaches now and I think we should stick by them. I have zero idea why we did not replace Laidlaw, it could be financial reasons or that we just couldnít find the right person. I am sure that we are not the most attractive of propositions for coaches at the top level. I disagree strongly with changing coaches as a panic measure. To put it in perspective, everyone is praying for Mallinder, how have Saints been doing since he left? Have Tigers improved beyond recognition since they dumped Cockers? Getting rid of coaches does not automatically mean your results or performances improve and teams like Saints and Tigers have way more financial muscle than us. (Assuming you have to pay coaches contracts off and employ new ones on better money if they know that you are desperate) I know I am very much in the minority, but I do not care if we go down.

Where I respectfully disagree with your post is the idea that it is better to get beaten by 15 points by playing with abandon. That leads to getting beaten by 50 ! Confidence would just drop off the boys. As I said previously, we were playing to win last week and right up to the last minute we had a chance, despite giving Falcons soft tries as a head start. We showed the same against Wasps and Bath and Tigers. A losing bonus point is better than nothing. It just is. Will it be enough to keep us up? No chance.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 12:14
We realistically now need to start to plan ahead for next season in the Championship and then beyond that hopefully an immediate return to the AP.

With that in mind we need to identify a far more positive game, and then look to base it more around the younger players who will be around in 2019.

So let's see/use far more of Wolstencroft, Hoskins, Ellerington, Brand, Parton, Loader and Big Joe etc.

Griff (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 14:22
I think it's too early to throw-in the towel as we're not mathematically out of it yet. It's not looking good, though.

That in itself, however, might be freeing - we could try out a few things and see how they go. If (when) we do go down again I'd like to see us really tear the Championship apart - if we're going to survive at this level we need a team that can attack (as well as defend) and we really ought to be able to cut Championship sides to ribbons. We didn't last season. Results aren't everything, just winning isn't enough to survive the jump back up.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:14
Agree about last season Griff - to be honest our most potent try-scorer last term was Rolling Maul.

Most teams at the Madstad looked to have more skillful and faster backs than ours (Bedford Blues esp. spring to mind).

PV (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:00
I accepted weíre down after the away match against Worcester. Theyíre a better team than us (whether they have a better squad on paper or not), we're more likely to have to challenge Saints, and if Iím honest, thatís very unlikely.

So on my assumption we are going down, why donít we consider playing without fear and building a more expansive brand of rugby, accepting that this season is written off. Who knows, we might even win a few matches, what we will get is a more interesting playing style and a genuine platform for winning rugby over future seasons.

Carrying on as we are, or worse still, imploding in fear is extremely unpalatable.

cjm. (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:23
Quote:
PV
I accepted weíre down after the away match against Worcester. Theyíre a better team than us (whether they have a better squad on paper or not), we're more likely to have to challenge Saints, and if Iím honest, thatís very unlikely.
So on my assumption we are going down, why donít we consider playing without fear and building a more expansive brand of rugby, accepting that this season is written off. Who knows, we might even win a few matches, what we will get is a more interesting playing style and a genuine platform for winning rugby over future seasons.

Carrying on as we are, or worse still, imploding in fear is extremely unpalatable.

You need a coach that can bring that style of experimentation and finances that will help smooth the inevitable bumps. It sounds good, but if we by some miracle stay up, I think it will have only been possible due to the forwards.

02 January, 2018 17:28
Never give up, never surrender.

GHA (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:45
We didn't throw it around in the championship

Nothing's changed in the last 11 games, I can't see anything changing in the next 11

02 January, 2018 18:40
Quote:
GHA
Nothing's changed in the last 11 games, I can't see anything changing in the next 11

Nope, didn't throw it around in the championship, not once

[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]

GHA (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 21:02
[quote Florida][quote GHA]We didn't throw it around in the championship

Nothing's changed in the last 11 games, I can't see anything changing in the next 11[/quote]

I never said not once. There's a reason why Paicey was second top try scorer for the season

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 21:25
Some of those tries against the pirates are fantastic! Why can't we try some of those moves from set play?

02 January, 2018 21:26
Quote:
GHA

GHA (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 21:35
Quote:
Florida
Never give up, never surrender.

Ruckingood (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 04:24
Bazzo

Okay. re your comment " I believe (and I might be wrong) that what we lack is ball carriers. We are not punching holes and creating space. I personally think our back rows are good defenders as are our centres (when Ferg plays) but we have no go forward, we constantly run into brick walls. Refs are seeing us as the weaker team and giving decisions against us at the first available opportunity. "

You are spot on but I think that today's prem sides are well versed in defending the crash and bash and whilst this will bend the line and occasionally break though, I feel that more guile is needed hence the comment re the starter plays. Asking the big boys to run into well set up brick walls and hoping that someone slides off a tackle will not win us games very often I fear.

I am totally gobsmacked that we seem to be bereft of anything off first phase and when you look at the stats as to how many times our opposition has scored against us off such plays it poses the question - is it lack of quality coaching or lack of the back line to implement such plays.... In all honesty I am at a loss to find an answer. I cannot believe that Nick and the team do not have a play book in this sense (out side of the" hoof it down field inside our half" plan) and looking at the talent (YES TALENT) we have available, that they are not able to enact such plays.... something is missing and as yet I cannot pin down what it is. Time to head down to Hazlewood and offer to put out the cones.. ha ha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net