rugbyunion
Latest News:

Free tickets dont make sense
doublebass (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 10:11
Could someone pse enlighten me ?
For this topic I am not interested in the rights and wrongs of the Madstad deal. I understand that the deal states that LI pay Reading 7 for every person in the stadium. If that is correct why are LI giving away tickets left/right and centre ie the Stade game then Newcastle and now the European game in 2 weeks time. It strikes me that there are more people in the stadium for free than are paying. The 7 per head must be costing more that the total gate receipt.
Please tell me I am wrong or explain the reason for what looks like commercial suicide to me. Bums on seats hasnt done us much good with the results either.

Re: Free tickets dont make sense
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 15:18
Think about the amount people spend on drink,food and merchandise. It all adds up. Bums on seats Wheather the ticket was free or not still generates money from what I said above.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

waltham (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 15:41
I thought the 7 per taken seat was the original cost and that it dropped to something like 4 when the long term deal was done....Not that (if correct) it makes much difference to the core arguments either way...

Egg Head (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 20:27
IMO the main issue has to be that Sweet Caroline was far easier to sing than Living on a Prayer. Looking forward to seeing KY play.

02 January, 2018 09:49
The main problem I see is that a great number of people on free tickets are there just because it is free, if they had to pay a couple of quid they wouldn't be interested. They keep leaving their seats to go to the loo or to the bar in critical parts of the game, make noise during kicks use "football language" and we even had some "football chants" last Saturday. I do understand the reasoning behind trying to attract more supporters, but may I suggest we have offers for 5 a ticket rather than free tickets. We may filter out the people who clearly have no interest in rugby that way.

NigelN (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 10:25
Father and son sitting next to me on Saturday on free tickets. Rugby virgins, fed up with the roundball game, thought 'it's free, let's give it a try'. On leaving said 'really enjoyed that', busily checking the programme for the next home game they could come to.

cjm. (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 11:50
Quote:
NigelN
Father and son sitting next to me on Saturday on free tickets. Rugby virgins, fed up with the roundball game, thought 'it's free, let's give it a try'. On leaving said 'really enjoyed that', busily checking the programme for the next home game they could come to.

Kind of echoes my feeling that for those spectators that are not long suffering LI fans Saturday's game was probably quit decent entertainment.

GHA (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 13:17
Making noise during kicks, opposition lineout, up and unders...

Finno (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 14:19
We brought 8 casual rugby supporters and they all really enjoyed the day out, Most will,be back for the Krasny game courtesy of Sweet Caroline! I think some will become regular attendees, so I think this freebie stuff works!

p.s. I'd forgotten what a pain in the ass getting out of the car park is with bigger crowds!

Griff (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 14:26
I have to agree - I find it a bit weird we're now trying to build a crowd in a town in which we're not committed to staying. I saw the community team at the Oracle just before Christmas - a first for me while the team have been in Reading - and it just struck me as odd. Why pay the money to garner support in a town you've committed to leave?

It was good to have a 10K crowd in Reading again, even if getting out of the car park was more of a pain. People seemed to have fun and I'm sure some will come back, it might be a bit late for them to follow us to Brentford, though.

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 08:47
Quote:
Props are not stupid
The main problem I see is that a great number of people on free tickets are there just because it is free, if they had to pay a couple of quid they wouldn't be interested. They keep leaving their seats to go to the loo or to the bar in critical parts of the game...

Thought I saw you at the MadStad, you must have been at Twickenham/The Stoop (Sm14)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

waltham (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 09:10
I'd guess that those we have brought along on freebies have probably then paid to attend a further 4 or so matches and most have become LI (support) irregulars and have spent a few quid on merchandise as well. In years past, some became STH's (not recently though)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net