rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Icy Sponge
Steelman (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 09:14
Anyone old enough to remember the pain relief of the icy sponge.? HIV saw the end of that,replaced by hot or cold sprays,which did the pain relief job, but encouraged the player to worsen an injury.To be replaced by what, a difficult conversation between a player who just wants some instant pain relief,and a guy who wants to show his manipulation skill.
Surely it's time for the return of the icy sponge in a sanitised form.This is my main hope for 2018,apart from a return to form of my beloved team.

Re: The Icy Sponge
jimbo800 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 09:59
Speaking from experience, wasn’t it the fear of the sponge that got players on their feet again. Last thing you wanted on a November morning was a drenching.

Steelman (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 10:28
I seem to recall that the spongeman,had to be 60years old with a gamey leg ,
And had to wear a bobble hat, old coat and greyish flannels tucked into a pair of odd football socks and gumboots. As you rightly recall, Jimbo,this gave you precious seconds to get to your feet and hobble away,,,no, i,m fine,really!!

harristocratt (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 10:32
From my footballing days I recall that seeing the "trainer" breaking the ice on his bucket before applying the sponge made sure that he rarely needed to apply it.

Just a thought but it could be a cheap way of reducing the number of people in A&E.

HK Phooey (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 14:01
Stop all the water breaks too. Quarter of an orange at half time was plenty

Ecksile (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 14:59
Quote:
HK Phooey

Quarter of an orange? By 'eck when I were a lad we dreamed of a quarter orange, the merest slice was all we had.

The Sligo Rover (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 15:17
It always worked a treat if you got a bang in the town halls, full sponge straight from the bucket squeezed on the back of the neck, with cold water running down your back and kyber pass it soon straightened you up with a loud ooohhhh and aaahhhh and a question about the sponge mans parenthood, ha ha.

bigbitty (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:16
Quote:
Ecksile
Quote:
HK Phooey

Quarter of an orange? By 'eck when I were a lad we dreamed of a quarter orange, the merest slice was all we had.

Aye, I were the fullback, so only got the peel!

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 09:00
Quote:
bigbitty
Quote:
Ecksile
Quote:
HK Phooey

Aye, I were the fullback, so only got the peel!

I liked the Boxing Day/New Year's Day fixtures at my first Grassroots Club. We had Port at half-time.

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Steelman (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 16:15
I liked the Boxing Day/New Year's Day fixtures at my first Grassroots Club. We had Port at half-time.[/quote.

Sterling silver tray, decanter and fifteen Waterford Crystal glasses,pass from the right... Perfect!!

The Sligo Rover (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 18:24
Steelman, by any chance was that Portsmouth RFC Vets?

Steelman (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 19:07
Sorry Sligo, I was just imagining how it should be done proper,as yer man obviously did. Love this in amateur sport,hot toddies or lamumbas on winter golf days, in fact any excuse,always better out of a nice glass...slainte !

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 08:52
Quote:
Steelman
Sterling silver tray, decanter and fifteen Waterford Crystal glasses,pass from the right... Perfect!!

Good Grief, we weren't posh. Even had to settle for a LBV sometimes (Sm14)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net