Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:44
5 players included in the U20 EPS for this season:

Brand
Parton
Loader
Williams
Basham

Pretty decent showing all things considered and hope they all go well.

Re: England U20s
Florida (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:06
That's excellent news

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:21
Well done to all 5 of them! As they were involved last year I suspect Brand and Parton will be starters but not sure about the other 3

GHA (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 22:38
We should play them the rest of the season and build for life in the championship if that's what we are resigned to

cjm. (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 11:20
Quote:
GHA
We should play them the rest of the season and build for life in the championship if that's what we are resigned to

Trouble is I think that could compound the problem. The Championship is clearly poor in comparison to the Premiership. You can coast through the former and be out of your depth in the latter. You need to have strong, experienced players in the Championship to carry through the transition upwards. It's a real conundrum and normally comes down to money.

GHA (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 11:51
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
GHA

Trouble is I think that could compound the problem. The Championship is clearly poor in comparison to the Premiership. You can coast through the former and be out of your depth in the latter. You need to have strong, experienced players in the Championship to carry through the transition upwards. It's a real conundrum and normally comes down to money.

England under 20 players should shine in the championship. Give them a taste of the premiership, let them run riot in the championship, and bounce back

cjm. (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 11:56
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
GHA

England under 20 players should shine in the championship. Give them a taste of the premiership, let them run riot in the championship, and bounce back

It's possible, I just think young players can mentally and physically ease off if not careful. Bit like the sad performances by young british tennis players. They get to a certain level and think that's good enough because they are in the same team as Andy Murray but in effect he is carrying them.

Perhaps the end of playoffs may resolve some of the recruitment issues and make transition easier. I hope so.

Steelman (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:11
If you're not easing these boys into an underperforming side,then what has been the point of the academy system,short of fully utilising our world class facility, which could possibly be an executive housing estate in three years time,if we go down.

cjm. (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:20
Quote:
Steelman
If you're not easing these boys into an underperforming side,then what has been the point of the academy system,short of fully utilising our world class facility, which could possibly be an executive housing estate in three years time,if we go down.

Depends whether the idea is to still try and stay up or not I guess. A bit like the coaches, having too many inexperienced ones all at the same time is very high risk. I prefer a system that has a churn philosophy where as older players move on one by one, you bring up fresh ones, one by one. Continuity is essential if you don't want to be constantly rebuilding from the ground up.

If we were three games from the end of season and we were all but done I might go for the miracle play but not at the moment.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 16:03
Forgot to mention that Ex LI stalwart Rob Hardwick's son is also in the squad... as a fly half. No idea how that happened.

On our players, the Championship should be about right for a bunch of 20 year olds next season. Players excelling at that age or earlier in the AP are fairly rare and of our Senior Academy only Parton is on loan at a Championship club at the moment. The rest seem to be at Esher and Rosslyn Park in NL1.

We'll likely need them as I'm assuming our budget will be a bit lighter than it was last time we were down there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net