rugbyunion
Latest News:

Irish sign Arno Botha - lekker signing
HMRH (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:03

Re: Irish sign Arno Botha - lekker signing
peejay (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:08
Not seen him play but sounds good on paper, we sure need a line breaking forward.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:10
My word, we actually signed a proven ball carrier. Pretty decent signing all things considered.

rugbygibbo (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:18
From a young age Arno was tipped as a future Springbok captain, but injuries hampered his progress. However, he’s now back to full fitness and his injuries are very much behind him as he looks to make an immediate impact with us.”

Where have we heard this before ...

olw131 (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:21
And Piet van Zyl as rumoured...

Seems like some excellent recruitment, hopefully they can add a bit of a spark.

cjm. (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:22
Quote:
rugbygibbo
From a young age Arno was tipped as a future Springbok captain, but injuries hampered his progress. However, he’s now back to full fitness and his injuries are very much behind him as he looks to make an immediate impact with us.”
Where have we heard this before ...

I had the same thought. How long till we crock him! That said Wasn't Mike Catt in the same way and he did ok ;-)

cjm. (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:23
That said, glad to see some positive news and I hope they make a big difference.

Steelman (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:25
And Piets on his way too, can I hear the Great Escape playing, da da, da daar de da da....

GHA (IP Logged)
Fingers crossed

Bazzo (IP Logged)
Is that a cavalry bugle I hear in the background? or is it the last stand?

Could not have been cheap, so fair play they are giving it a go. Van Zyl could have the same effect for us as Hougaard for Worcs a few years ago? Interesting move.

Steelman (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:31
Ahh,so the Doctor has been treating the patient.

cjm. (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:33
Quote:
Bazzo
Is that a cavalry bugle I hear in the background? or is it the last stand?
Could not have been cheap, so fair play they are giving it a go. Van Zyl could have the same effect for us as Hougaard for Worcs a few years ago? Interesting move.

I could see many SA players not asking top dollar as they are probably also looking for a way out of the country.

GHA (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 12:34
I see the rand is 16.66 to the pound so should'nt've been too expensive

AlecW (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 13:15
Steelman - my thoughts exactly...!

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 13:40
Fingers crossed botha stays fit cause he could be huge for us... big if though based on his track record

Fanski (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 13:47
too little too late

GHA (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 13:58
How's Jake Schatz?

Florida (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 14:02
Quote:
GHA
How's Jake Schatz?

Injured I believe, but he was beginning to look pretty good.

RodB (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 14:33
Hope the visas and work permits are sorted 🤔🤔

John H (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 14:39
I hope he has got over his injury problems.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Shawshank (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 14:50
Both Schatz and Lasha have been pretty disappointing whenever I have seen them - very little go-forward at all from either of them.

What's happened to Nayalo - he looked to have some gain-line ability.

Florida (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 15:00
Quote:
Shawshank
Both Schatz and Lasha have been pretty disappointing whenever I have seen them - very little go-forward at all from either of them.
What's happened to Nayalo - he looked to have some gain-line ability.

Schatz had made some decent yards, not sure if he'd been doing it week in week out. Lasha I've been a bit disappointed in, I think I was a little blinkered by him being Georgian. Hes still young though and may well come good, especially if we have other ball carriers for him to learn from.

Nayalo was on the long term injury list back in October.

GHA (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 15:05
Schatz's bio was similar to Botha's i.e. promising youth stuff marred by injuries.

Fingers crossed, wonder if we'll be making any more signings

SirBurger (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 15:07
Quote:
GHA
Schatz's bio was similar to Botha's i.e. promising youth stuff marred by injuries.
Fingers crossed, wonder if we'll be making any more signings

Similar on paper but in terms of reputation for ball-carrying and all-round quality Botha's is far higher.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 15:27
I think we all wanted/expected lasha to be the bruising carrier that we've been badly missing since halaufia left but in reality lasha is more of a hard working 6 in the coman mould. There's still time for him to develop his carrying game but to be fair he does everything else round the park very well. Hoping botha can fill the carrying role.

NMB (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 17:36
This week we've had the news of Big Joe in the England camp, 5 academy lads in the under 20's EPS and two new signings announced who, on paper, look to be exactly what we need. A win away to Leicester is all that's needed now!

Hopefully by the end of the Anglo and European 4 weeks the new recruits will be up to speed and ready to make a difference for our crunch 3 games against Sale, Saints and Worcester!

SirBurger (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 17:39
Quote:
Hugo.LI
I think we all wanted/expected lasha to be the bruising carrier that we've been badly missing since halaufia left but in reality lasha is more of a hard working 6 in the coman mould. There's still time for him to develop his carrying game but to be fair he does everything else round the park very well. Hoping botha can fill the carrying role.

Still think Lasha could come good. He has the right frame, just needs to bulk out a bit and carry with a bit more conviction. Botha could be a good person to learn from in that sense.

PV (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 18:29
Great signings, hope they’re welcomed and teak tough.

John H (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 18:34
Quote:
NMB
A win away to Leicester is all that's needed now!

Like we done in 2003 to save us from the drop (19-20)

Greenboots (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 19:06
Good signings would like a a center to come in as well to get me feeling a lot happier.

Portcullis Irish (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 08:55
Here comes the cavalry!

Welcome Fellas & lets hope you tip the balance for us in tight games.
A repeat of 2003 would be a fantastic start.

Jamo (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 16:56
Overcome with indifference.

HMRH (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 16:59
Why so? Two proven super 14 recruits we’ve managed to land with a limited budget and limited pool of players wanting to come here and both in areas many feel we need to strengthen.

Maybe give them a chance before being indifferent?

GHA (IP Logged)
05 January, 2018 18:50
Maybe Jamo is scared as he's been hurt before winking smiley

Jamo (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 09:06
Quote:
HMRH
Why so? Two proven super 14 recruits we’ve managed to land with a limited budget and limited pool of players wanting to come here and both in areas many feel we need to strengthen.
Maybe give them a chance before being indifferent?

Because we haven’t got backs capable of doing anything.

jekyll (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:25
Can either of them play next week or are they ineligible because they were named in the original squad

Marbo (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 19:26
I have big hopes for these two signings to be the cavalry we need to stay up. I understand everyone's suspicion about their injury history but both these boys are South African's who I assume have been living there in the meantime. Venter must have had a coffee or two with these lads and had a look over their medical history, with his career as a Doctor if he didn't think the risk wasn't worth the money he wouldn't have done it.

In the Doctor we must trust (Sm128)

millhillexile (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 16:25
I thought Arno looked pretty useful yesterday and I would expect him to get another runout v Cardiff to get him right up to speed.It was interesting to see Conan at lock and it seemed to work as well.

DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 17:05
Was a pretty useful 3rd lineout jumper too

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 17:55
I thought the South African recruits were excellent yesterday. Also looks like the scrum halves have stopped doing the 2 step prior to distribution. The backs saw more quality ball and didn't use it.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 18:04
[quote paulm1953]I thought the South African recruits were excellent yesterday. Also looks like the scrum halves have stopped doing the 2 step prior to distribution. The backs saw more quality ball and didn't use it.[/quote

I had to look twice to see it was still Steele starting, the service was so much faster, and agree that the new SA lads played well, first try was all down to Arny leaving it until the last moment before passing to Lewi giving him a good chance to put on the gas and get over the line.

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net