rugbyunion
Latest News:

Today!
cjm. (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:08
So far lots of fumbles but the scrum looks solid.

Penalty missed.

Re: Today!
cjm. (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:09
Coka looks hungrier. Should have gone himself.

Florida (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:10
He should, you shouldn't have mentioned the scrum though winking smiley

cjm. (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:11
Quote:
Florida
He should, you shouldn't have mentioned the scrum though winking smiley

I know, I know. All my fault.

Florida (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:22
Joe gets his first Premiership try!!

nimblehippo (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:24
Get in! was expecting the earlier wastefulness to cost us, but c'mon you Irish!

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:26
Come on boys, I really hope the difference in scoring first will spur them on. They are so used to playing catch up. Hopefully joe proves difficult to handle all game

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:28
Really need Tonks to start putting these over. 10 nil would be a hell of a score at this stage. Keep it up boys

Florida (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:28
He's also just saved a try too

nimblehippo (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:33
is Blair in at 7 a pre-match injury?

cjm. (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:36
Quote:
nimblehippo
is Blair in at 7 a pre-match injury?

Certainly a late replacement.

We seem a bit bereft of ideas when there is space to play.

nimblehippo (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:41
how was that not blocking from the ruck!

cjm. (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:47
It's so laboured with the long passes. We need an SA scrummie with bullet pass.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:51
Please don’t undo all ththe hard work Irish. Looking at our bench, no idea why it has Theo or tiks. Neither will change a game for you. I’d honestly rather see ransom or loader, eithe could spark something.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 15:55
Chin up lads and lasses - at least we are fronting up in defence and playing with some heart.

olw131 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:10
Pen for high tackle and Tonks doesn't find touch again

cjm. (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:13
Set your watch by the subs. Let's see if they can inject some purpose into this game.

Florida (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:39
Defended well for long periods, but we're suffering with being completely clueless in attack.

cjm. (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:42
Much improved performance all round. Nice try Lewi. More please.

Florida (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:45
Need a moment of magic here

asteps07 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:50
I believe!!!!!

Babs O (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:53
Well played lads! I thought we played well today and defended very well given the pressure in the 2nd half. Hopefully this is the sign of things to come when we get back to prem action.

HMRH (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:57
Take a LBP at Leicester no problem

Florida (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 16:58
Defense was exceptional this time, couldn't really fault it. A point picked up and now four weeks to work on our attacking play.

olw131 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:02
Will take that, absolutely got to win those home games now though...

Proud of the guys for improving, just got to cut out those errors like missing touch from a free kick, and ideally missed kicks at goal too.

As our future captain Conor said on BBC Berks "it's all down to fine margins".

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:02
Yep boys showed tremendous heart today and on another could of got more. Will be interesting to Wath the highlights back as there was doubt over their first try. A fair result though.
Really pleased for Joe today, a couple of days away with England seems to have done him the world of good, let's hope he continues this!

cjm. (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:03
Quote:
Florida
Defense was exceptional this time, couldn't really fault it. A point picked up and now four weeks to work on our attacking play.

Yep, given how many times Leics went for the lineout on our line it was exceptional work.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:09
Great work. With Worcester not getting anything and saints winning it’ll be a real lift. Shame Newcastle home game wasn’t next. Looking at the Leicester backline, strongest they can put out, makes the result look even better.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:10
Those who predicted Tigers by multiples of 10 will be disappointed at just how bad we Tigers are. That was a poor game between 2 poor sides and I wouldn’t have been surprised by an Irish score to win at the end. Good luck with the rest of the season

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:31
It must be a coaching issue with tigers, the backline they have is one of the best in the league. In recent interviews o Connor and Murphy both blamed officials for the losses, not a good sign. I realise they don’t have the pack they used to but they seem to have lost a bit of their identity

Horticbm (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 17:59
I didnt go, My daughter went and said as a previous post two team playing substandard rugby, with the excepton of Lewingtons try and the subsequent conversion.Ok thats one point.but if we were playing Exeter today, the loss would have been much greater

HMRH (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 18:05
But we weren’t and got an LBP away which frankly was best we could have hoped for

Florida (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 18:22
Quote:
Horticbm
I didnt go, My daughter went and said as a previous post two team playing substandard rugby, with the excepton of Lewingtons try and the subsequent conversion.Ok thats one point.but if we were playing Exeter today, the loss would have been much greater

You can only play what's in front of you.

Nick4219 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 18:48
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Horticbm

You can only play what's in front of you.

Quite right! Even in the heady days of 2006/09 a close loss away to Leicester would be dreamland!

The next 3 Prem games are going to be special and we are getting closer and closer, a big win in Europe may well boost our confidence and enable us to pull out some magnificent results and we may be able to close the gap on Worcester.

COYI

PV (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 19:26
Very good result all things considered. Well done to the club. Maybe, just maybe, a springboard as we go into the 6 Nations

Rosscaberry (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 19:30
I followed the score via craic & BBC website whilst watching Northampton v Gloucester. At the end of the BT transmission it was stated that London Irish lost 19-8 & showed the league timetable with Irish with 9 points . So I was confused. So elated to find that we did gain a losing bonus point. It must have been a spirited performance albeit against an unusually non- winning Leicester. But a point at Leicester is brilliant. Great stuff. Onwards & upwards.

NMB (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 20:01
This is a fantastic result, I followed mostly on Twitter and it was great to see so many positive comments of try saving tackles, good defence, playing with heart and I do believe there may have been some attacking interplay for that last try! Sounds like Joe and fainga had good games as well as the centres.

This needs to be the standard of performance that we grow and improve on. Dont want to get too carried away on a losing bonus point but an improved performance, some positivity coming from the game and the closing the gap on 11th is a good springboard to build on for the second half of the season!

GHA (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 20:13
I would've taken a point at the start of the season, and definitely at 19-8 down with 10 to go

Hope it wasn't an opportunity missed though considering how bad Leicester are at the moment (general consensus)

Big few weeks coming

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 21:34
Was at the game today and thought it was on after going down the pitch at the end after turning them over. So still came away disappointing as they are the things we really need to go for us if we're to get out of this mess.

All the same though, can't fault the effort at all and we created a more than we have been lately. Some of the defence in our red zone was top notch, both in open play and the maul.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 21:49
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Was at the game today and thought it was on after going down the pitch at the end after turning them over. So still came away disappointing as they are the things we really need to go for us if we're to get out of this mess.
All the same though, can't fault the effort at all and we created a more than we have been lately. Some of the defence in our red zone was top notch, both in open play and the maul.

Yep. One or two moments of clearer thinking and we could have won that. However, for the first time in months it feels like the tide has slightly turned in our favour with the Boks’ arrival and Wuss’s performance last night. A lot of our lads stepped up today.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 21:55
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Yep. One or two moments of clearer thinking and we could have won that. However, for the first time in months it feels like the tide has slightly turned in our favour with the Boks’ arrival and Wuss’s performance last night. A lot of our lads stepped up today.

Yeah, for sure. Best game I've seen from Williams especially for a long time. Certainly offensively anyway. Him and Fowlie kept their midfield pretty quiet.

Not too many weak links for a change. Just need to keep fighting like that for the rest of the season.

waltham (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 22:47
Thanks for he comments everyone, we had to make do with just a straight "scoreline" reportage...sounds promising

GHA (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 22:56
Quote:
waltham
Thanks for he comments everyone, we had to make do with just a straight "scoreline" reportage...sounds promising

Fingers crossed

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 22:59
Having just watched the highlights, looked like reid was blocked off the ball which opened up the gap for may to run into on their first try...

Aiden1011 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 23:06
Quote:
Hugo.LI
Having just watched the highlights, looked like reid was blocked off the ball which opened up the gap for may to run into on their first try...
Where did you find the highlights??

Bazzo (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 23:17
That was a good result and you cant fault the effort or passion, especially in defence. There is a good fighting spirit in this squad, whatever about the result. On paper that Tigers team is way ahead in terms of spend and quality. We are competitive. Nothing but admiration for them.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
06 January, 2018 23:44
Quote:
Aiden1011
Quote:
Hugo.LI
Where did you find the highlights??

Watched it on bt sport at 10. Not sure the highlights are online yet

Heaf (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 01:00
Quote:
Hugo.LI

Yep pretty blatant - a full yard in front of the ruck and grabs a player standing off the ruck - couldn't have been a more obvious obstruction - and in a kickable position - potential 10 point turnaround ... typical of our luck.

Robbers Dog (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 11:01
I listened to the game on Radio Leicester, (somewhat biased of course) but the announcer was praising the Irish defence. He was quite concerned about the way Tigers are playing at present and was quite relieved when they won.
Sounded like Irish still want to kick away possession all the time though....(Sm55)

SirBurger (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 11:12
Quote:
Robbers Dog
I listened to the game on Radio Leicester, (somewhat biased of course) but the announcer was praising the Irish defence. He was quite concerned about the way Tigers are playing at present and was quite relieved when they won.
Sounded like Irish still want to kick away possession all the time though....(Sm55)

We didn’t kick as much as we have done and tactically yesterday it was the right decision.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net