rugbyunion
Latest News:

MotM nominations for Leicester?
Griff (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 14:48
I didn't get to Welford Road, sounded like a spirited performance. Who stood out?

Re: MotM nominations for Leicester?
SirBurger (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 15:00
Faingaa, Cowan or Treviranus for me.

AlecW (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 15:03
Watched it online.

Treviranus.

cjm. (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 15:09
Trev made more yards than he has for a while but Faingaa for me.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 15:18
Joe, mostly for his first Premiership try and the confidence that he showed from his week in the England camp. Big well done and Joe...... Back youself !

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 15:20
Faainga seems to bring a professional calmness to the game. Sometimes players need to be more clinical and less passionate. Passion can end up being disruptive when you need to keep your head during a game. He’s been there and done it all, good signing so far. When he put in the hit on Ford, plenty forwards would have overlooked it and done their best to smash the ten and give away a penalty. He did just enough to put him off.

Old-nick (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 17:11
A much improved performance from the whole team. Joe and Faainga stood out but Scott Steele for me, made some great tackles.

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 22:10
Tough call this week. Lots of excellent defensive performances. Fainga'a excellent again, Mike Coman was everywhere, and Williams and Fowlie shackled two top class international centres for the majority of the game. Petrus also had his best game for us. Can't call it.

Florida (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 22:22
Quote:
Ozzy3213
Tough call this week. Lots of excellent defensive performances. Fainga'a excellent again, Mike Coman was everywhere, and Williams and Fowlie shackled two top class international centres for the majority of the game. Petrus also had his best game for us. Can't call it.

Has anyone noticed that since Kennedy has stopped playing Petrus and Franks together Petrus is consistently called out for having a great game / best game for us?

Finno (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 00:39
Quote:
cjm.
Trev made more yards than he has for a while but Faingaa for me.

Agreed!!

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 06:42
I’ve just been looking at the match stats, which I always find interesting after watching a game as they often don’t really tell the full story. Based purely on stats you would have to say Marshall would be in the running for MOTM as he made the most yards ball in hand, beat the most defenders, and was one of only two players from the starting XV to not miss a tackle (the other being Gordon Reid).

Also of note, based on previous comments/nominations is that Trev made 26 metres from 14 carries. I’ll leave to others to opine as to whether or not statistically that constitutes a ‘good’ ball carrying performance.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 07:49
Reid has been superb since he's returned from concussion, been a huge help

PV (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 08:21
Maybe, just maybe we’re playimg into a bit of form?

cjm. (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 09:53
Quote:
Hugo.LI
Reid has been superb since he's returned from concussion, been a huge help

Most definitely seconded. Ben Franks, possibly for valid reasons, has been a weak spot in the scrum and gave away too many penalties. Seen very few when the front 3 are PDP, Faainga and Reid.

RodB (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 10:46
Any danger of Reid being called up by Scotland (not that I'd begrudge him)?

cjm. (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 13:45
Quote:
Ozzy3213
I’ve just been looking at the match stats, which I always find interesting after watching a game as they often don’t really tell the full story. Based purely on stats you would have to say Marshall would be in the running for MOTM as he made the most yards ball in hand, beat the most defenders, and was one of only two players from the starting XV to not miss a tackle (the other being Gordon Reid).
Also of note, based on previous comments/nominations is that Trev made 26 metres from 14 carries. I’ll leave to others to opine as to whether or not statistically that constitutes a ‘good’ ball carrying performance.

I don't really look at stats. From what I saw, Trev was making yards that matter and seemed more determined than I have seen him in a while. His contribution was very noticeable. That is all I base my opinion on.

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 14:11
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Ozzy3213

I don't really look at stats. From what I saw, Trev was making yards that matter and seemed more determined than I have seen him in a while. His contribution was very noticeable. That is all I base my opinion on.

As I opened with, basic stats rarely tell the whole story. I thought Trev played ok. In pure numbers terms I would be interested though as to what people might think are decent carrying stats for different players/positions.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 18:00
Trev may have not made as many metres as a really 'top' carrying performance would indicate, but every time he carried it took 2 or 3 Leicester players to bring him down. That is what impressed me, more than the yards, it was the space he was creating.

In pure metres terms, I would suggest 3-4 metres per carry is good for a back-row/centre player, less closer to the front of the scrum and more for wingers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net