rugbyunion
Latest News:

Haskell
HMRH (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 07:42
According to The Times were keen but Haskell wants to carry on with England and our possible relegation putting him off

Re: Haskell
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 07:53
Not surprising really. Only way we will make ourselves more attractive to potential recruits is to win at at least a couple of the next block of AP games. I'd expect that recruitment at the moment is extremely difficult

DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 08:48
He still has a bit to offer but yet another player at the @#$%& end of his career.

GHA (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 09:07
Quote:
DrV'sHairyCraic
He still has a bit to offer but yet another player at the @#$%& end of his career.

You'll have people crying 'well who do you suggest we get' and 'can you name anyone better who is available?' Then when you do, youll get 'how are we supposed to afford him?' in reply. Be careful out there, DVHC

Gazzle (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 09:08
Beeb just announced he's leaving wasps. I'd prefer to spend a large salary on someone else (or a few others).

waltham (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 10:06
Quote:
Gazzle
Beeb just announced he's leaving wasps. I'd prefer to spend a large salary on someone else (or a few others).

I agree. He's also clearly very focused on his new career as a fitness guru/author

HMRH (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 10:06
Off to Saints is a rumour - love a bit of transfer rumour

aah Bisto (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 10:56
6/7 isn't a position that's of concern for next year whichever league we're in unless Coman is off or moving to lock full time. Plenty of strength in depth there.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 11:17
Quote:
aah Bisto
6/7 isn't a position that's of concern for next year whichever league we're in unless Coman is off or moving to lock full time. Plenty of strength in depth there.

Tend to agree. Can't see him coming to play second fiddle to Coman.

GHA (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 11:19
Quote:
aah Bisto

Pretty sure that's been said about almost every position there is

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 11:31
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
aah Bisto

Pretty sure that's been said about almost every position there is

Hes spent time at eight hasnt he? I assume trev is off. If theyre ringfencing the league get it done already so teams can make the necessary plans

GHA (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 11:52
He's spent time across the back row, as well as in Super Rugby, internationally, and with the Lions, as well as winning things. He is towards the end of his career and I don't really like him but he'd be a better signing than the usual

SirBurger (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 11:58
Quote:
GHA
He's spent time across the back row, as well as in Super Rugby, internationally, and with the Lions, as well as winning things. He is towards the end of his career and I don't really like him but he'd be a better signing than the usual

I just don't see him being a good use of money, but if he does come then I wouldn't exactly be gutted. Out of interest would he start for you in our strongest back row line-up because I am not sure he would for me. I know it is a long season and injuries happen, but we aren't exactly loaded and it seems like he would take up a lot of spend for someone who doesn't massively increase the quality of the squad.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 12:50
When a player is announced as leaving a club but hasnt got a club to go its usually to drum up some interest. I reckon its an attempt to get Bristols attention.
Although the thread hasnt been executed by the possibility, Id welcome it.
1. Proven international with medals to back it (hes not the best but I think were getting carried away with the calibre of our players).
2. Very successful club career (how many players in our squad with a decent medal collection?)
3. We usually sign cast offs with no medals, this has to be seen as a step up.
4. It looks like his international career is done with so we wouldnt lose him mid season.
5. Weve lacked depth. We have a good back row but we really missed coman and trev when they were out. Squads who survive have a little extra in the tank for when they get injuries or international call ups.
6. Younger and less experienced players learn from these guys. Lasha and Harris are similar types of players to Haskell , mobile as opposed to the lethargic crash up players.
7. Players are expensive these days, no way around it. I think wed be shocked if we really knew how much everyone got paid. We pay less, we get less. Id take a punt on him

I think its a moot point anyway, hell have signed a new contact before we may be a ken to offer prem rugby

Shawshank (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 12:59
I doubt he would come cheap, and would want at least a 2 yr contract.

With Botha looking exactly the type of belligerent ball-carrier we have lacked for so long, I think The Hask would be surplus to requirements.

With any free cash we will clearly need to spend big to replace Lewi...

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 14:17
Not sure we need to spend big to replace Lewi, that for me would be a waste of our limited financial resources. Joe is coming good, Nalaga should be over his injury and available and Loader looks as exciting a prospect as Joe. Wed be better served in my opinion ploughing our money into the pack in order to sign players who are capable of giving those lads a platform to play off of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/01/2018 14:17 by Ozzy3213.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 14:46
Quote:
Ozzy3213
Not sure we need to spend big to replace Lewi, that for me would be a waste of our limited financial resources. Joe is coming good, Nalaga should be over his injury and available and Loader looks as exciting a prospect as Joe. Wed be better served in my opinion ploughing our money into the pack in order to sign players who are capable of giving those lads a platform to play off of.

Agreed and in conjunction should look at fringe players at bigger clubs who look to have the raw ingredients to make the step up (like Lewi at Leicester). Odogwu at Sale is one who springs to mind for instance.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 14:56
In regards to wingers, we still have ransom and Ojo under contract next year dont we? Thats five when you include joe, Nalaga, and loader. If we need extra, we can also use Parton and Collins (just checked on hassel Collins, hes six ft four and weighs nearly 100kgs according to the club info). Its also pretty common to use centres and 9s as emergency wingers. If Id invest in a back, it would be a 13. Is still rather firing some money at a ball carrier. Not having one has made life a lot harder this season.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 14:57
Quote:
jimbo800
In regards to wingers, we still have ransom and Ojo under contract next year dont we? Thats five when you include joe, Nalaga, and loader. If we need extra, we can also use Parton and Collins (just checked on hassel Collins, hes six ft four and weighs nearly 100kgs according to the club info). Its also pretty common to use centres and 9s as emergency wingers. If Id invest in a back, it would be a 13. Is still rather firing some money at a ball carrier. Not having one has made life a lot harder this season.

And you can add Fowlie and Tikoirotuma to the list of players that can play wing if needs be.

31 January, 2018 15:03
Ransom was being linked with Bristol earlier in the year. Assume his contract may be up in the summer. Could be wrong though.

That said, agree that it we did stay up wing wouldn't be my first priority for spending money. Go down though and I suspect we'll lose Joe and could entertain offers for Nalaga if he's on a decent wedge.

Finno (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 16:16
The first thing I'd spent money on, is a really decent centre. As I said before the start of the season, we are seriously short of premiership quality in the centre, and that's where all the damage gets done in premiership rugby. Unfortunately, I've been prove right!

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 16:25
I feel we wasted a bit of money on hearn and tiks. Two sets of wages going out for players who havent played much, and wouldnt feature at all if we had most of our lads fit. Two wages could have been spent on more focused centre. I havent been a fan of signing on too many utility players. We have plenty of utility backs, specific positional backs is what weve missed.

grumpy1960 (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 17:51
Quote:
Shawshank
I doubt he would come cheap, and would want at least a 2 yr contract.
With Botha looking exactly the type of belligerent ball-carrier we have lacked for so long, I think The Hask would be surplus to requirements.

With any free cash we will clearly need to spend big to replace Lewi...

Spot on SS, spend the money where its needed on a Defence Coach

Narbia (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 18:46
Someone else with just a year left to play? ... Wrong headed thinking. (Sm9)

Is Botha going back to SA? Rather keep him instead.

Anonymous User (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 18:58
Quote:
Narbia
Someone else with just a year left to play? ... Wrong headed thinking. (Sm9)
Is Botha going back to SA? Rather keep him instead.

A year left to play? On what basis? Let's just assume you're right there, why is it the wrong move? We've got some great guys coming through and someone with Hask's proven ability, drive and over all work ethic would be a missive boost to their development

Narbia (IP Logged)
01 February, 2018 19:27
Quote:
Florida
A year left to play? On what basis?

Inference from SS's above post about him wanting a 2-year deal.

Quote:
Florida
Let's just assume you're right there, why is it the wrong move?

If the reports are to be believed he doesn't want to come here (because of the imminent danger of relegation, apparently).

TSW22 (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:16
You are all morons. We are about to get relegated & we are linked to a player who is in the current England squad but wouldn't get into a LI team? You dont want him? This is silly. Leaving the forum.

Steelman (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:34
Quote:
TSW22
You are all morons. We are about to get relegated & we are linked to a player who is in the current England squad but wouldn't get into a LI team? You dont want him? This is silly. Leaving the forum.

I say old chap,Always best to resign in a pleasant manner,in case one needs to return,
Try Quins or Bath,better class of moron.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:37
Quote:
TSW22

Top flounce..!(Sm6)

GHA (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:54
He has a point under all that cr*p though - whenever we are linked with anyone there is always someone saying that person wouldn't get in the side... a side that is on the brink of relegation

There are also people who say 'we shouldn't be spending money there, we should be spending it elsewhere' but a) we don't know how much money there is and b) if Kendo et al think money should be spent on Haskell (for example) then who are we to argue?

SirBurger (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 10:03
Quote:
GHA

There are also people who say 'we shouldn't be spending money there, we should be spending it elsewhere' but a) we don't know how much money there is and b) if Kendo et al think money should be spent on Haskell (for example) then who are we to argue?

Coming from someone who seems to enjoy nothing more than criticising the coaches/selection/recruitment, it seems a bit rich to say 'who are we to argue'!

GHA (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 10:16
Quote:
SirBurger
Coming from someone who seems to enjoy nothing more than criticising the coaches/selection/recruitment, it seems a bit rich to say 'who are we to argue'!

I think the coaching staff at the moment aren't up to scratch, and think the results show that. I would like change because whatever we are doing at the moment isn't working, and we are almost out of time. Fingers crossed for the next month of games though. I also think recruitment needs an overhaul because it's been poor for a while now. I've never criticised selection.

When I say 'who are we to argue' it's not me that's arguing with the idea of bringing Haskell in...

aah Bisto (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 10:24
Fantastic, hope you enjoy the rest of the day a bit better.

I believe the point some of us morons are trying to make is why strengthen (and strengthen agreed he would) an area where when fit the axis of Trev/Cowan/Coman always all get MOM nominations and with the exception of their ball carrying receive very little other criticism

If an England international on the wrong end of his career became available in the centres for example then your point would be totally correct

GHA (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 10:25
Will Greenwood could do a job, and Ma'a Nonu should come enjoy his retirement with us

SirBurger (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:31
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
SirBurger

I think the coaching staff at the moment aren't up to scratch, and think the results show that. I would like change because whatever we are doing at the moment isn't working, and we are almost out of time. Fingers crossed for the next month of games though. I also think recruitment needs an overhaul because it's been poor for a while now. I've never criticised selection.

When I say 'who are we to argue' it's not me that's arguing with the idea of bringing Haskell in...

For the record, I enjoy your posts as it is good to have a balance of opinion on the board. the point I was making is that I think it is fair enough to debate the merits of bringing in a player whose form has dipped significantly over the past six months and who will be on a decent wage (although acknowledge your point that we won't know the details). It sort of defeats the purpose of the message board if we just accept all decisions that are made by those in control of the club.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 15:54
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
SirBurger

You've never criticised selection? You always say that recruitment has been poor, but I never see any solutions to your argument? Who should we have signed that we did not? it is so easy to criticise the recruitment because of our league position (and the coaches) but I never see any positive contribution. I always think that our recruitment is ok, in the financial world that we obviously operate in. We are after bargain basement as well as bringing through our academy lads. I think that Kendo has done a great job bringing the young players through, TBC, Joe, Johnny, Fowlie, Atkins, Parton, Cooke etc and signings like Hoskins, Franco Van DM, Coman, McNally, Seb De C, Max NG, are all good players as well as the more experienced Franks, Marshall, Tonks etc etc. We got badly hit by Topsy's injury and Nalaga especially, but you can't predict injury.

To criticise recruitment, you would have to know the budget and none of us know that. I think that you criticise only because we are bottom (which you and lots are entitled to do) but truth is we are shopping in a different league money wise, we are too good for the Championship budget wise but not good enough for the Premiership.

LLL (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 17:18
Yep Haskell is talking to us. And Cristiano Rinaldo is taking to Sheffield Wednesday. I do love this site. Keep it going, my Craic Head friends!

waltham (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 21:23
Quote:
LLL
Yep Haskell is talking to us. And Cristiano Rinaldo is taking to Sheffield Wednesday. I do love this site. Keep it going, my Craic Head friends!

🙃 :-)

GHA (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 08:37
Quote:
Bazzo
You've never criticised selection? You always say that recruitment has been poor, but I never see any solutions to your argument? Who should we have signed that we did not? it is so easy to criticise the recruitment because of our league position (and the coaches) but I never see any positive contribution. I always think that our recruitment is ok, in the financial world that we obviously operate in. We are after bargain basement as well as bringing through our academy lads. I think that Kendo has done a great job bringing the young players through, TBC, Joe, Johnny, Fowlie, Atkins, Parton, Cooke etc and signings like Hoskins, Franco Van DM, Coman, McNally, Seb De C, Max NG, are all good players as well as the more experienced Franks, Marshall, Tonks etc etc. We got badly hit by Topsy's injury and Nalaga especially, but you can't predict injury.
To criticise recruitment, you would have to know the budget and none of us know that. I think that you criticise only because we are bottom (which you and lots are entitled to do) but truth is we are shopping in a different league money wise, we are too good for the Championship budget wise but not good enough for the Premiership.

I've never criticised selection, no. I also feel some of what apparently little money we have has been spent poorly through the seasons on players like Franze, Warwick (?), Sa, Van der Linde, Waldouck, Ben Robinson's brother, maybe Jack Schatz, and hopefully not Nalaga, among others. Obviously one or two is unlucky, but 7 or 8 is just careless. This is assuming we don't have money to burn, which we all believe to be the case on here despite finding funds for James O'Connor for a short while (God that was fun), or two-time World Cup-winning prop Ben Franks, or Premiership-winning prop Petrus Du Plessis, or ITM Cup-winning, two-time Super Rugby-winning coach and Samoa Co-Head Coach Tom Coventry. Maybe there's more money down the sofas at Hazelwood than we think.

It isn't just because we are bottom that I'm suggesting that we aren't great on recruitment, or we only seem to get other teams' cast-offs, as I've said it for a good few seasons. It is almost always met with a 'well who else is there?' which in my opinion is an easy and dismissive reply. There's a massive pool of players we can go after - everyone is available for the right price. But season after season we seem to come back with players who are no longer wanted by their own teams - teams that are usually of a better league standing than us. At the same time we lose the Armitages or JJ or Anthony Watson or Marland Yarde or Jamie Gibson or Matt Garvey or Alex Lewington. Is that because we are a million miles off everyone else in terms of finances? Or we aren't efficient with our incomings? Or a little from column A, a little from column B? Perhaps the review we had after our previous relegation could shed some light on it. I wonder if we'll be having a similar one at the end of this season.

This also ignores the idea that we as a collective rate our squad higher than it actually is due to watching them week in week out. In your message, Bazzo, you say that Kendo's done a great job bringing kids through along with new signings and more experienced heads - a list that includes 16 players plus 2 injured. Shame the 15 we are putting out week after week in the Premiership aren't cutting it. Anyway, hopefully we can take our good form from the last few games and build on it this Saturday, fingers crossed.

Apologies for the essay.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 12:11
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Bazzo

I've never criticised selection, no. I also feel some of what apparently little money we have has been spent poorly through the seasons on players like Franze, Warwick (?), Sa, Van der Linde, Waldouck, Ben Robinson's brother, maybe Jack Schatz, and hopefully not Nalaga, among others. Obviously one or two is unlucky, but 7 or 8 is just careless. This is assuming we don't have money to burn, which we all believe to be the case on here despite finding funds for James O'Connor for a short while (God that was fun), or two-time World Cup-winning prop Ben Franks, or Premiership-winning prop Petrus Du Plessis, or ITM Cup-winning, two-time Super Rugby-winning coach and Samoa Co-Head Coach Tom Coventry. Maybe there's more money down the sofas at Hazelwood than we think.

It isn't just because we are bottom that I'm suggesting that we aren't great on recruitment, or we only seem to get other teams' cast-offs, as I've said it for a good few seasons. It is almost always met with a 'well who else is there?' which in my opinion is an easy and dismissive reply. There's a massive pool of players we can go after - everyone is available for the right price. But season after season we seem to come back with players who are no longer wanted by their own teams - teams that are usually of a better league standing than us. At the same time we lose the Armitages or JJ or Anthony Watson or Marland Yarde or Jamie Gibson or Matt Garvey or Alex Lewington. Is that because we are a million miles off everyone else in terms of finances? Or we aren't efficient with our incomings? Or a little from column A, a little from column B? Perhaps the review we had after our previous relegation could shed some light on it. I wonder if we'll be having a similar one at the end of this season.

This also ignores the idea that we as a collective rate our squad higher than it actually is due to watching them week in week out. In your message, Bazzo, you say that Kendo's done a great job bringing kids through along with new signings and more experienced heads - a list that includes 16 players plus 2 injured. Shame the 15 we are putting out week after week in the Premiership aren't cutting it. Anyway, hopefully we can take our good form from the last few games and build on it this Saturday, fingers crossed.

Apologies for the essay.

No need to apologise for the essay or reply, you are entitled to your opinion.

I am sorry but your time runs much longer than me at the club, I am not aware of the details of the wrong signings that you mention, Franze, Warwick, Sa, Van der Linde etc I do remember Waldouck being here for a year. A lot of these I presume are old signings from a long time ago.

My argument is that not every signing will stay fit and healthy, but mostly that we are shopping in a different league and that Kennedy has not done a bad job based on the funding at his disposal (which I assume is less than most teams due to our revenues). We are doing better at keeping our young talent (Joe on a four year deal? etc). The academy players that you mentioned who left I also presume did so for more money and better chances of international caps. I know it is hard to stay up and revert to the statement made beforehand, we are top financially in the Championship but bottom financially in the Premiership. With that in mind, I do not think recruitment has been bad.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 17:18
We do seem to have attracted an unusually large number of turkeys over the years.

Added to GHAs list would have to be Pieter Roussow and, of course, Mr Happy.

Id agree with Bazzo however that NJKs recruitment has probably been as good as it could have, given the money we dont have, and our lowly position.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 17:21
Quote:
Shawshank
We do seem to have attracted an unusually large number of turkeys over the years.
Added to GHAs list would have to be Pieter Roussow and, of course, Mr Happy.

Id agree with Bazzo however that NJKs recruitment has probably been as good as it could have, given the money we dont have, and our lowly position.

In the main, I agree that Kendo's recruitment couldn't have been expected to be much better. Not sure Luke McLean was the best use of funds though when we had a glaring need for an outside centre to be signed.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 20:49
Talking to other supporters over the seasons, l've come to the conclusion that, all had their fair share of Albert RN's signed over the past ten years, it's not a phenomenon we have suffered from alone. Even other team sports have it as well.
This current coaching set up should not be judged on previous regimes recruitment, not saying they are getting it right but i don't think recruitment is their biggest issue.

GHA (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 07:37
Shontayne, how could I forget?! Luke McLean, Nalaga and Petrus Du Plessis won't have been cheap... nor will Coventry, Franks and others. So maybe we have slightly more money than we think on this message board..? Was it ten signings before the start of this season? Anyway, time will tell, bring on the Sharks.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 09:55
Nalaga, didn't he break his arm? PDP and Franks are regulars, Luke Mclean did under perform at the begining of the season but was playing to early, probably because of injuries to the centres, you are right about Shontayne and Coventry a big well done to you! But maybe we had a few dodgy signings in the 70's you can dig up, to validate this optimistic view.

GHA (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 10:06
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Nalaga, didn't he break his arm? PDP and Franks are regulars, Luke Mclean did under perform at the begining of the season but was playing to early, probably because of injuries to the centres, you are right about Shontayne and Coventry a big well done to you! But maybe we had a few dodgy signings in the 70's you can dig up, to validate this optimistic view.

I think you've missed the point.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 13:36
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
LI Bohemian

Probably, just thought you were trying to name some poor recruitment tendencies of ours, again.

My thoughts on Haskell are, although to most people, we would be lucky to have him, I would rather have Arlo, in as much that Haskell is coming to the end of his career, does not fully understand the laws (Italy) and we would need to strengthen the squad (spend money) in other areas.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 13:39
Would also prefer Arno provided his knees hold out.

GHA (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 13:59
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
LI Bohemian

Probably, just thought you were trying to name some poor recruitment tendencies of ours, again.

My thoughts on Haskell are, although to most people, we would be lucky to have him, I would rather have Arlo, in as much that Haskell is coming to the end of his career, does not fully understand the laws (Italy) and we would need to strengthen the squad (spend money) in other areas.

Nope - trying to say that perhaps we haven't spent wisely in the distant and not-so-distant past. Must've gone over your head.

07 February, 2018 14:13
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
LI Bohemian

So you prefer someone that has played against wasps kids + invitational and an understrength Cardiff Blues side to someone that has been playing in a side that's been top of the league for a few years now? Interesting choice.

As to Haskell not knowing all the laws, specifically the Italian no ruck; show me someone that did. He'll, even Connor and Venter didn't understand it fully, hence they had to adjust it after having a meeting with the ref. The sad fact of the matter is it wouldn't have been an issue at all had Eddie attended the ref meeting. They would have either said what they were planning and EJ would have warned his team and instructed how to counter or they wouldn't have raised it and would have got pinged off the park.

For the record, I like the look forward Arno, he seems the real deal but let's see how he gets on against tougher opposition before labelling him the Messiah. Also, let's remember that he and PvZ are both on short term deals and both may decide they're not keen on the club / league at the end of the deal.

07 February, 2018 14:28
TBF Arno has played much tougher opposition. The only real question mark has been his fitness, which will have prevented him getting a better gig than us.

On the comparison with Haskell, he's much younger. Not that I wouldn't take Hask (in front of someone like Lomidze) in some hypothetical world where he was interested, we weren't getting relegated and he wasn't too expensive.

PV (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 15:05
This is becoming really petty. Can we move on please.

GHA (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 15:18
Florida - I thought there was more than one meeting with the ref, and it was at a separate one that O'Shea presented his grand plan of losing by as little as possible..?

M_W - maybe Haskell wouldn't be too expensive if we used our finances better. Big maybe, but still.

PV - great input, well done for bumping the thread (Sm108)

07 February, 2018 15:39
Quote:
GHA
Florida - I thought there was more than one meeting with the ref, and it was at a separate one that O'Shea presented his grand plan of losing by as little as possible..?
M_W - maybe Haskell wouldn't be too expensive if we used our finances better. Big maybe, but still.

Could have been, but I was under the impression that you had to invite the other coach to any meeting. To be fair, I don't know all the laws, so could be wrong there.

GHA (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 15:56
Yeah I thought that's what had happened but may well be wrong - what irked me more was how slow England were to react

07 February, 2018 16:02
Quote:
GHA
Yeah I thought that's what had happened but may well be wrong - what irked me more was how slow England were to react

What annoyed me most is the Italians doing it in the first half. Historically they've always managed to keep in touch in the first half and fade in the second, especially that final 20 minutes. Just imagine if they had played as per usual, kept in touch by half time and then deployed the fox. A perplexed England and no EJ to give a half time team talk on how to combat the issue, they could have beaten us.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 18:13
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
LI Bohemian

Nope - trying to say that perhaps we haven't spent wisely in the distant and not-so-distant past. Must've gone over your head.

My apologies, so your not saying the recruitment is bad just that we have wasted money on recruiting badly
Got it. How much by the way have we wasted in your reckoning?

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 18:33
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
LI Bohemian

So you prefer someone that has played against wasps kids + invitational and an understrength Cardiff Blues side to someone that has been playing in a side that's been top of the league for a few years now? Interesting choice.

As to Haskell not knowing all the laws, specifically the Italian no ruck; show me someone that did. He'll, even Connor and Venter didn't understand it fully, hence they had to adjust it after having a meeting with the ref. The sad fact of the matter is it wouldn't have been an issue at all had Eddie attended the ref meeting. They would have either said what they were planning and EJ would have warned his team and instructed how to counter or they wouldn't have raised it and would have got pinged off the park.

For the record, I like the look forward Arno, he seems the real deal but let's see how he gets on against tougher opposition before labelling him the Messiah. Also, let's remember that he and PvZ are both on short term deals and both may decide they're not keen on the club / league at the end of the deal.

My feeling is I do prefer Arno, because he's here and seems to be playing okay all be it against weak sides, he would not cost as much, I think that Haskell is a fine player at the wrong end of his career but comes across as a Jonny big Potatoes ready to show the torso at the drop of a hat, the reason I mentioned the Italy game was in my minds eye I can see him on a refcam along with Hartley asking the official what to do, true not many knew what to do, but he, along with Hartley came across (to me ) that little bit worse, now Launchbury knew what to do and if he (in another universe) was coming to us, there would be no bickering from myself.

Steelman (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 18:47
[quote PV]This is becoming really petty. Can we move on please.[/quote.)

I,m with you PV. anyway now I'm on.

Haskell, 2 - 3 years ago,good get you going forward ,No 8.

This year,not so much imho

Next year,his last year whilst trying to start his business.

His time has gone,no value for us.

PV (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 22:20
Quote:
GHA

Petty

Raggs (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 07:41
Quote:
GHA

Pet peeve here. It didn't take England long to react. The Italians did it twice in the first 15 minutes or so, then started doing it some more. Around the 20th minute England did a number of pick and goes and short balls (exactly what they needed to), generated great front foot ball, sent it out wide, and Brown and May screwed up blowing an easy try. England adapted about as quickly can be expected with regards to the new basic approach, the problem is we just played awfully. Would have helped if the ref had got it right with the calls too, since at times there were definite rucks, then the Italians all pulled out, waited a few seconds, and ran offside, and the ref had forgotten it was a ruck already.

GHA (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 12:24
Maybe there is more money available for the squad than the message board as a collective thinks.

Cheer up PV.

Raggs - I stand corrected smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net