don't we have ground restrictions?

Re: Fed up with an unequal split of Friday night games
Griff (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 15:11
Yes

waltham (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 08:30
Not sure I fully understand the cause-statement nor the specific background to the complaint

Irish 'Stoker (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 09:45
As far as I understand it the complaint is that some teams can play any night of the week so their games are more likely to be moved for TV coverage I.e Thurs/Fri. Fans are put out by not having the game at a reasonable hour over the core weekend.

The Other teams that have ground restrictions play games according to them so it is more likely to be at a time that suits.

I guess some teams that play regularly on a Friday do so because of either restriction on them to do so or get a bigger crowd as they avoid other events

waltham (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 09:53
Thanks but how many matches are actually played Mon-Wed/Thursday?

wattshisname (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 12:08
I believe northern teams, i.e. Sale, Falcons, play more Fridays than most so they don't clash with the weekend footy and RL games.

waltham (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 20:31
Quote:
wattshisname
I believe northern teams, i.e. Sale, Falcons, play more Fridays than most so they don't clash with the weekend footy and RL games.

That's still not an answer to my question. The critic seems fine with Friday matches...I just don't get it about other midweek games....Are there "any" ???

wattshisname (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 08:01
Wasn't really answering your question. Was just making a statement as to why Sale and Falcons liked playing on Fridays.

Steelman (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 08:52
Bris fans especially humpy about Friday and Sunday games now they have the ground share.Friday is the worst day for commuting fans.

HMRH (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 17:38
I dislike Sunday games and would think friday nights would be better than a Sunday if we had the option

Shawshank (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 18:58
Waltham, back in the day there were a few Wednesday and Thursday night premiership matches each season, I remember going to one in particular at vicarage Road where we put 55 points on Sorries (Sm160).

I think they were phased out by about 2004, and since then the only Thursday night match has been the occasional challenge cup televised fixture. Wasn’t our loss to Bourgoin on a Thursday night?

waltham (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 08:29
Yes SS you are right. We went to a few Wednesday matches...I also think you are right about that loss...

Saz's old man (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 09:42
Thursday game was Bourgoin, if I recall did Nick drop a goal???

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 11:47
I remember the Bourgoin game was freezing, that's all

johneverton (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 16:30
Sale fan here in peace - actually a part-time staff writer for the programme and website, too.

No sooner had the Sharks declared a willingness to forego the corporate shilling and play Saturday afternoon games, then BT Sport come in and fix two out of the remaining four home games (v.Sarries and Wasps) on Friday nights.

Although the Stadium is slap bang next to the M.60 motorway, a new lifting bridge has finally been opened, enabling access for the Free Shuttle Bus and pedestrians from the Trafford Centre. Also, the club stumped up to make the Warburton Toll Bridge (up the canal to the west) free, thus eliminating long queues waiting to pay 12 pence!

I understand that Exeter are forbidden by the constabulary to play on Fridays, and that Sarries don't play Fridays either because of the safety and security issues in the dark park near their ground. I'm checking how many / if any Friday games are played in city centre Leicester.

So it's far from a level playing field and out of an individual club's control.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net