rugbyunion
Latest News:

Irish v sale updates
mulledwinemarie (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:13
Penalty to Sale

Irish 0 -3 Sale

MWM

GLORY GLORY LONDON IRISH - and loving it......

well I used to ...............

Re: Irish v sale updates
jimbo800 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:31
For all our talk, sale seem to have had most of the ball. Keep them out until half time and reasses where to change things

cjm. (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:33
Rather easy try...

John H (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:35
10 - 0 to Sale. Not looking good

Horticbm (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:38
Nothing changes......Worcs winning away at Exeter...championship here we come

John H (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:40
3 - 10 Tommy Bell penalty

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:42
Silver lining I guess is that we’re 7 down which is great considering we don’t seem to have had any possesssion.

cjm. (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:46
Think they are actually playing like a decent team at the moment ( touch wood ) even it is rather a defensive one.

John H (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:46
Half time 3 - 10

GHA (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:49
Quote:
jimbo800
For all our talk, sale seem to have had most of the ball. Keep them out until half time and reasses where to change things

We haven't changed things in a long, long time. Why would we start now?

cjm. (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:49
Quote:
cjm.
Think they are actually playing like a decent team at the moment ( touch wood ) even it is rather a defensive one.

That said I just saw the missed tackle stats 11 - 1. So room for improvement.

GHA (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:50
:'(

Time to start praying? So, so pedestrian

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:53
The only hope is to ringfence, wuss won again. I’d love to be optimistic but we’re three wins from catching them now.

John H (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:53
Sorry got that wrong, we are doomed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 15:55 by John H.

GHA (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:58
Just start throwing it around, go out fighting, in style, than resigned in multiples of three

Horticbm (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 15:58
But not all is lost...we have a first class training facility!!!!

cjm. (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:11
Our new scrum half is rather an improvement though.

cjm. (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:15
Quote:
cjm.
Our new scrum half is rather an improvement though.

So they sub him. What do I know.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:17
I thought van Zyl was pretty poor for the most part

John H (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:26
Another penalty 6 - 10

cjm. (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:26
Previous scrum halfs have been poor for the whole part, hence an improvement :-) I think he's better anyways..

Florida (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:30
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Of course he was, it's the rules. Starting scrummie has to be woeful, replacement has to play well.

10 February, 2018 16:34
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Of course he was, it's the rules. Starting scrummie has to be woeful, replacement has to play well.

I've said nothing about Steele. He's been average too and almost gave away a shocking try waiting for the ball to go dead.

Florida (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:38
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

I've said nothing about Steele. He's been average too and almost gave away a shocking try waiting for the ball to go dead.

Sorry MW, wasn't a dig at you, was an observation on the way things have been for most of our previous games. Didn't seem to matter who started, they'd be dire and the replacement always looked pretty sharp.

cjm. (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:41
Boy we are living on borrowed time here...

John H (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:47
9 -13, 8 minutes left and Sale down to 14 men

John H (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:57
Losing bonus point, how exciting is that

Horticbm (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 16:59
another loss...a loss against Worcs next.......last one leaving the room..turn the light out!!!

...even more exciting we have a 1st class training facility!!!!!!

NMB (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 17:36
We are one point closer to saints

GHA (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 17:39
Multiples of three sad smiley

#pray4us

Portcullis Irish (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 18:43
Got to say that was woeful Not enough passion till it was too late & a lack of control throughout Starting halves were awful Marshall terrible till the last 15.
Fat lady having a gargle

grumpy1960 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 19:44
Quote:
jimbo800
The only hope is to ringfence, wuss won again. I’d love to be optimistic but we’re three wins from catching them now.

I can see us beating Bedford, Jersey & Cornish Pirates so all will be OK

Oh sorry that’s next season (Sm159)

cjm. (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 20:05
Quote:
Portcullis Irish
Got to say that was woeful Not enough passion till it was too late & a lack of control throughout Starting halves were awful Marshall terrible till the last 15.
Fat lady having a gargle

Marshall gets undone because he tries to make things happen but no-one seems to know to follow. Hence he gets isolated. Of course you could flip that and say he runs away from his support but frankly our backs are so static I wouldn't buy it.

Where I would criticise is his kicks, especially the grubber kicks that were never going to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 20:05 by cjm..

Portcullis Irish (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 20:19
One awful Marshall grubber cost us 55m and after defending a 5M scrum their try. Sorry but he's just too flaky for a team like ours

TheOffsideRule (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 20:27
Well, this was my first trip to see London Irish after 12 years living in Reading. It was wet, it was cold, and they lost. And you know what, I loved every minute. I’ll definitely be back. Premiership or Championship, who cares, we’re lucky to have a rugby team playing here. Hopefully I can get my kids interested too, and they can enjoy some live sport with their old man. Brilliant way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

GHA (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 20:30
Quote:
TheOffsideRule
Well, this was my first trip to see London Irish after 12 years living in Reading. It was wet, it was cold, and they lost. And you know what, I loved every minute. I’ll definitely be back. Premiership or Championship, who cares, we’re lucky to have a rugby team playing here. Hopefully I can get my kids interested too, and they can enjoy some live sport with their old man. Brilliant way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Hah, good one

TheRealBigEasy (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 20:37
Quote:
Portcullis Irish
One awful Marshall grubber cost us 55m and after defending a 5M scrum their try. Sorry but he's just too flaky for a team like ours

Very similar to when JOC was here. His thinking was too quick for the rest of our lads. We are not good enough.

10 February, 2018 20:55
Quote:
TheRealBigEasy
Quote:
Portcullis Irish

Very similar to when JOC was here. His thinking was too quick for the rest of our lads. We are not good enough.

Yeah, he used to get charged down a fair bit too.

olw131 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 21:18
Quote:
TheRealBigEasy
Quote:
Portcullis Irish

Quick thinking does not equate to making unforced errors like grubbering into a crowded mass of bodies.

But Marshall at least tried to take some responsibility in the 2nd half particularly, and some of his kicks to touch were very good.

It's a crying shame that the positive momentum of the previous weeks was lost in such inexplicable fashion, and though it was never going to be fast running rugby, I was expecting a little more bottle - whereas our execution of opportunities of any sort remains continually woeful.

GHA (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 21:24
Maybe the idea of building momentum by beating a Russian team twice, a Wasps A-league side and an under-strength Cardiff side is an illusion

Finno (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 21:38
We had a professional job done us today by a premiership savvy team. There wasn't much in the difference at a skill level today, but they absolutely did us.

They were professional at playing the ref, particularly at the breakdown, unlike us, lots of them were in the refs ear, unlike us, they were excellent at blocking runners to box kicks, unlike us....I could go on and on.

We are so premiership naive, at so many levels, it's unreal! I suppose thats the product of an inexperienced DoR, unlike the premiership hardened and gnarled Diamond!

The inexperience really showed today.

I'm resigned to Championship rugby next year...

jekyll (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 22:59
There was one outstanding player who controlled the game and that was Faf da Klerk and because we were so dire they could afford to take him off when they were down to 14 men as Diamond knew that there was no way we could score a try
Kennedy in his match comments obviously was watching another game along with the reporter who wrote the Premiership App match report

Marbo (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 08:45
I understand people's views on here regarding the disappointing performance of our players and I agree that we struggled to match for the standard but they do have some class players such as Faf which we simply cant afford. I don't agree that our players lack heart these boys do clearly care for this club its their livelihood and they do show passion.

But a key factor that no one seems to be discussing and it will be hidden in the highlight coverage. I am not looking for an excuse. I hate singling out the officials as its a lazy armchair fan excuse. However the shoulder charge to the face of theo off the ball during the first half was closer to watching something out of UFC rather than rugby. It was a disgusting piece of play and absolutely should have been looked at by the tmo - when a player suddenly has to go off for an unexplained HIA foul play has to be investigated. As that was a potential red card which would have had a huge impact on the game and might have fired up our boys a lot more as I believe that they didn't see it either.

TheRealBigEasy (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 08:57
Good thinking. We haven't had a 'blame the ref' for a few weeks now.

GHA (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 09:01
Quote:
TheRealBigEasy
Good thinking. We haven't had a 'blame the ref' for a few weeks now.

Although we have a 'we can't afford anyone half decent' three times a day

sad smiley

Shawshank (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 09:24
It looked to me like TBC was accidentally hit when he went to tackle their player?

11 February, 2018 09:28
Quote:
Shawshank
It looked to me like TBC was accidentally hit when he went to tackle their player?

There was a second one a few minutes after the attempted tackle when he was hit off the ball. They showed one replay that didn't look great but would need to see it again.

That said I doubt it would have made a difference. We probably could have played against 11 men for 60 minutes and not threaten the try line. Was a seriously blunt performance

DaveTVT (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 09:48
The hit on Theo was a cheap shot and should have been picked up. I didn't come to watch an MMA match. i am beginning to wonder what the point of line judges are - the ballboys would be just as good as telling the ref where it went into touch.The line judge on our side of the pitch would have probably failed to ring the fire brigade if the stadium was ablaze.

As Finno said, we had a professional job done us by an average team who were more savvy than we were. We have plenty of "experienced players". If being in the refs ear, slowing play down, etc etc is what is needed them we probably have to have a bit more of it.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:33
I heard on the ref earpiece that the guys complained about the shoulder charge on Theo and the ref said they had to argue it after the game.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

waltham (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:42
There were a couple of other tackles/challenges right "on the edge" which were not pinged so hats-off to Sale really. We used to be able to get away similarly at times.

DaveTVT (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 14:02
Just watching Wayne Barnes reffing Quinns v Wasps & Eastmonds red card. Dissimilar situation to yesterday entirely but a world of difference between a ref who takes control of a game and one who defers an incident to "take a look after the game". Players deserve better otherwise they'll simply take matters into their own hands

GHA (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 14:13
Quote:
DaveTVT
Just watching Wayne Barnes reffing Quinns v Wasps & Eastmonds red card. Dissimilar situation to yesterday entirely but a world of difference between a ref who takes control of a game and one who defers an incident to "take a look after the game". Players deserve better otherwise they'll simply take matters into their own hands

Players shouldn't appeal for a ref to go to the TMO. If the ref and linos miss something and the TMO doesn't say anything it's dealt with after the game. Quite simple really.

DaveTVT (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 14:47
Yes, I'd agree that players appealing to a ref to go to a tmo isn't something that anyone wants to to see. But a key player who was nowhere near the ball goes down with a head injury....screams foul play and ought to be worth a look. Don't need to be Columbo to figure that out, but just my opinion i guess.....

Steelman (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 15:06
Quote:
DaveTVT
Yes, I'd agree that players appealing to a ref to go to a tmo isn't something that anyone wants to to see. But a key player who was nowhere near the ball goes down with a head injury....screams foul play and ought to be worth a look. Don't need to be Columbo to figure that out, but just my opinion i guess.....

If it was columbo , we,d have to wait 55 minutes to get a descision!(Sm100)

GHA (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 15:34
Quote:
DaveTVT

Said with the benefit of hindsight though..? You can literally show a ref bite marks in your arm and he'll say 'they'll look at it after'

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 18:34
Quote:
Steelman
Quote:
DaveTVT

If it was columbo , we,d have to wait 55 minutes to get a descision!(Sm100)

And then we'd be not only asking, "what was the question?" It would be, "and is there one last question?"

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Marbo (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 19:37
The job of the ref in my mind (feel free to disagree with me its a message board I am happy to debate) is to ensure two things happen in a game they are in charge of:

Firstly ensure that the game flows well in accordance with the rules.

The second thing is to ensure player safety.

In the professional game thankfully we have a TMO this is to primarily used to check try or no try which the ref on Saturday did at length though he took a while it meant we got the correct result, which is great that covers the first job of a referee. But the second job is player safety why not use the TMO for this. All this chatter about hindsight and citing commission is all well and good but in the premiership it's all about points on the league table that matter and points in this league are decided in 80 minutes of rugby not by a citing commission on a Tuesday afternoon. I'm sorry but in a fine margin league like the premiership we need the correct decision on the field during the game a ban or other discipline action 4-5 days later is no good to us.

On a more positive note though the referee on Saturday had a shocker of a game but so did the Irish boys unfortunately so with all the negativity about our boys in green I am still going to cheer from them next week and whatever league we are playing in next year because they are my team. I hope Kennedy and the coaches help pick the lads up and they have great game next week. But also I hope the officiating staff pick up the young lad who refereed us because he'll know he had a bad game but he's human and its sport we all make mistakes. I just hope that he can learn from the mistakes he made on Saturday as much as Irish learn about the mistakes they also made during the game.

GHA (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 21:27
I think the team / coaches made more mistakes in the game than he did

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 08:05
Quote:
Marbo
I'm sorry but in a fine margin league like the premiership we need the correct decision on the field during the game a ban or other discipline action 4-5 days later is no good to us.

These things even themselves out over the course of a season...

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

DaveTVT (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 08:31
Quote:
Foggy-Balla
Quote:
Marbo
I'm sorry but in a fine margin league like the premiership we need the correct decision on the field during the game a ban or other discipline action 4-5 days later is no good to us.

Indeed they do....but I think the valid point is that as the the season progresses there is a decreasing amount of matches left for us to get the "rub of the green" where a different decision might make a difference in a very winnable game. A bounce off the post from a penalty that drops into a wingeer's arms when you are 9-42 down away at Wasps in the 75th minute counts for far less than the correct call early at home to Sale when the fly half has been mugged.

GHA (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 08:54
I don't think we should be relying on the rub of the green for anything

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 09:04
Wasn’t it mentioned that Sale did a job on us and showed us how to approach all aspects of a pro game. Essentially, in this league you make your own ‘luck’.

DaveTVT (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 09:12
Quote:
GHA

Nor do I - simply responding to the point that "these things even themselves out over a season" is all well and good, but we are running out of season somewhat. Saturdays incident may well turn out to be significant in hindsight.....anyway, onto the next one. Possibly a good time to be playing Saints....Let's see.

Aa545 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 11:23
Quote:
GHA
Nothing to do with the rub of the green, if you are 7 points down with 8 minutes left with an extra man don’t kick for goal .
Backs far to static, we could have played another 30-40 minutes with an extra man and still not scored a try.
We weren’t beaten by a better team IMO we threw the match away by poor decision making and being far to static in the backs.

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:12
Quote:
DaveTVT
Quote:
Foggy-Balla
Quote:
Marbo

Indeed they do....but I think the valid point is that as the the season progresses there is a decreasing amount of matches left for us to get the "rub of the green" where a different decision might make a difference in a very winnable game. A bounce off the post from a penalty that drops into a wingeer's arms when you are 9-42 down away at Wasps in the 75th minute counts for far less than the correct call early at home to Sale when the fly half has been mugged.

Sorry, was being highly sarcastic. I think that was a quote from an occasion where Mr The Hoff was given a red card which mystified everyone, including the person he was alleged to have high tackled, in the early stages of a match (against Welsh?), which we lost & then subsequently exonerated by the citing committee.

Things didn't even themselves out over the course of the season...

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Heaf (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:38
Yes that was courtesy of Mr Doyle in the match against LW ...

I don't buy into the theory either as I'm still waiting to see the evening out after the clear forward pass for the try in the Bath match, which we narrowly lost, and similarly the blatant obstruction/holding off the ball in the Tigers match leading to a try, where again we narrowly lost.

jhnnyi (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:52
Looks like Lovell Rugby have started discounting our kit:

[www.lovell-rugby.co.uk]

DaveTVT (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 15:17
Quote:
jhnnyi
Looks like Lovell Rugby have started discounting our kit

If Lovell Rugby are the bellweather we're going by here then somebody needs to give Hansen a call as the All Blacks are clearly in as much trouble as we are......

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 08:23
Due to family commitmenets I was in Dresden for the weekend but wondered whether Luke McLean had a good game against Sale. My concern was that he is mainly a defensive 12. Was Jonny Williams injured and, if not, why was he not on the bench for plan B?

Come on you Irish

Paul

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 10:02
Quote:
paulm1953
Due to family commitmenets I was in Dresden for the weekend but wondered whether Luke McLean had a good game against Sale. My concern was that he is mainly a defensive 12. Was Jonny Williams injured and, if not, why was he not on the bench for plan B?

McLean played pretty bad. He missed a few tackles. Pretty pedestrian.

IMO we need to get rid of him. Not once this season when he has played has he shown his international credentials. I know injury has played a part, but I just don’t see what he brings to the team.

I read on the Sale MB that McLean was our weakest link in defence and that they would target him, that is exactly what Sale did.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Narbia (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 11:10
Quote:
paulm1953
....whether Luke McLean had a good game against Sale. My concern was that he is mainly a defensive 12. ...

McLean played not bad, not great. Sure was a defensive 12.

PLAYER | TACKLES | T.MISSED

J Cokanasiga 8 4
L McLean 13 2

There were better

F Paulo L 20 1
A Botha F 23 0
M Northcote-Green F 22 0

Brilliant work-rate by some of the forwards.Two great wingers in the team. Both un-used.

Brian Smith must go !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net