rugbyunion
Latest News:

Less of the positives please
norg2072 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 17:18
I do NOT want to read another match report that concentrates on positives!

We never looked like winning today, even against 14 men.

1st half Sale must have had 80% territory and possession

Marshals kicking was awful, Fowlie seemed unable or reluctant to pass to lewington, backs are always standing still when they receive the ball, and why we kicked for 3 instead of going for the corner and the chance to make it 10-10 i just don't understand.

Arghhhhhhhhh

Re: Less of the positives please
waltham (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 18:19
I'm told that we were forced to kick for the 3 as the Sharks captain pointed out that the tee had been brought into the pitch...ergo a decision to kick had been made. I don't have a ref link, so that is what apparently happened according to someone who does.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 18:52
Whoeverís decision it was to kick the 3 deserves to be sacked.

We had a 5m scrum against 7 men, about the only time we had got anywhere near their tryline in the whole match.

To kick the 3 with 9 mins left, meant we still needed to score a try to win.

It was gormless, negative, craven and pathetic.

I feel sorry for the lads who gave 100% but we lacked belief and ultimately lacked the skill the keep control of the ball when needed.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 18:55
Certainly going to be a long end to the season now

Aa545 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 19:50
Forwards did well I thought, backs were to static again and you couldnít tell Sale were down to 14 for the last 8mins.

On a positive note my nipper won a gnome in the half time competition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 20:02 by Aa545.

The Sligo Rover (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 22:18
I thought we defended well today but never looked liked scoring a try.
Just not good enough.
I fear that this great club could just wither away and die following another relegation.
Loved the Porche in the car park today with the reg. spaced GO 11RSH, it made me smile.

GHA (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 22:23
We certainly are going

Finno (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 22:28
Quote:
The Sligo Rover
Just not good enough.
I fear that this great club could just wither away and die following another relegation.
Loved the Porche in the car park today with the reg. spaced GO 11RSH, it made me smile.

I saw it after the last game, probably worth more than the Porsche!!

Finno (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 22:29
Quote:
The Sligo Rover
Just not good enough.

I saw it after the last game, probably worth more than the Porsche!!

Horticbm (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 14:09
Womans Rugby on now beats what was witnessed yesterday..at least all 30 players on the paddock are giving their all!!!

Come on girls in green!!!!

HMRH (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 16:01
Was there a womenís game at the Madjeski?

garmin (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 19:14
Quote:
The Sligo Rover
Just not good enough.

that's not how you spell PORSCHE......and it's not how you spell @#$%& either [:wor kid:]

Bill the chip (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 20:44
Thanks Sligo it was meant to make rugby fans smile....
Finno rest your head..... it didnít cost more than the motor.
And to you Garmin come and see me some time , maybe we can have a chat about it

Finno (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 22:01
Quote:
Bill the chip
Finno rest your head..... it didnít cost more than the motor.

Phew, you got a bargain then!!

12 February, 2018 09:27
Hi finno, not sure if there is a angle here from you, unlike garmin who is just trolling.... but let me explain

Iím a chippy , whoís worked extremely hard over the years to get that motor on my 50th birthday... the plate was something I saw 18years previous but vowed to get one day... well hey ho.

I absolutely love this club, and follow them everywhere, so I decided to nail my colours to my car...... if you really wanna know the cost of the plate I will gladly buy you a Guinness at the club, mad stad or any away ground you wish , and talk if thru and the finer points of the game.

Just a last little titbit, I followed the team to every ground in the championship last season... in my van!!! This week it will be sat at Franklin gardens with me shouting the team on .. I hope it makes a few rugby fans smile, and I hope to see you there ? Cheers COYI......... GO 11RSH

Robbers Dog (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 09:40
I'm hoping to get to the Saints game on Saturday. If you see jim mallinder about, offer him the plates if he comes to Irish and keep us up....Please.....

GHA (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 09:50
Are you #praying4mallinder, RD?

Griff (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:10
Quote:
norg2072
I do NOT want to read another match report that concentrates on positives!

I look forward to receiving your report via PM or email norg2072.

Here's the thing, though. I was planning to write a report but I was struggling as to how to not make it 100% negative. I don't like negative comments on here, not because I'm all happy-clappy and bleed-green, simply because I don't see the point of them. I don't know who the audience for doom-and-gloom is. It doesn't make any of us feel good and it won't make any impact on whether our team plays better. It might make the commenter him/herself feel better initially but I'm fairly sure they'll go back to misery shortly after. Anyone reading it is probably already fairly miserable and I can't see a big ole truth-bomb helping rectify that.

Now, the same can't be said of positive comments. They might make you angry if you see them as missing the point but they might just make someone struggling with our predicament feel a little bit better about it. Sure, it's almost certainly misplaced but can you really begrudge someone who had to sit through that on Saturday?

Anyway, unless you get one to me by Wednesday you'll get my usual attempt to sugar-coat the pain. You have been warned.

12 February, 2018 10:29
Bang on Griff thankyou , As a club we are all feeling the pain, and Saturday showed how low confidence is thru the club . As supporters/fans we are part of the equation , you donít have to be classed as a happy clapper just because we keep cheering for our team!!!
Most of us know exactly how dire our predicament is.... but that is exactly when your club needs you most ....... itís a good job our spitefire pilots didnít have the attitude of many on. this board ,

GHA (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:35
Maybe it's not for me to comment, as I've never offered to write a match report - but prefer a report that says 'Player A looked slow and cumbersome' or 'Player B carried a lot but didn't get many metres out of them' or 'we miss far too many tackles, are static and offer nothing in attack,' as opposed to 'Player A and Player B did OK' or 'the lads worked hard but it just wasn't to be.' More realism than happy-clappy-ism, maybe?

Just examples, not trying to infer anything.

(Sm128)

GHA (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:37
That or one that says 'I got hammered so will try and patch things together using the opposition's twatter feed'

Finno (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:40
Quote:
Bill the chip
Hi finno, not sure if there is a angle here from you, unlike garmin who is just trolling.... but let me explain
Iím a chippy , whoís worked extremely hard over the years to get that motor on my 50th birthday... the plate was something I saw 18years previous but vowed to get one day... well hey ho.

I absolutely love this club, and follow them everywhere, so I decided to nail my colours to my car...... if you really wanna know the cost of the plate I will gladly buy you a Guinness at the club, mad stad or any away ground you wish , and talk if thru and the finer points of the game.

Just a last little titbit, I followed the team to every ground in the championship last season... in my van!!! This week it will be sat at Franklin gardens with me shouting the team on .. I hope it makes a few rugby fans smile, and I hope to see you there ? Cheers COYI......... GO 11RSH

No angle from me, I love the plate and good on you to have secured it! I know that some plates that leave nothing to the imagination, cost serious money, hence the original 'tongue in cheek' comment ! (Sm151)

I'll be there Saturday..

12 February, 2018 10:47
Excellent finno! Iíll buy you that beer

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:05
Griff I think this was the message i was trying to convey with the title of the Cardiff report. What got me at the weekend was what was the point of winning those 4 games and building momentum with a more open style if we did not at least try and contine with it?
What did we have to loose? ... except the game which we have consistently done with the approach we adopted.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:02
Quote:
GHA
Maybe it's not for me to comment, as I've never offered to write a match report - but prefer a report that says 'Player A looked slow and cumbersome' or 'Player B carried a lot but didn't get many metres out of them' or 'we miss far too many tackles, are static and offer nothing in attack,' as opposed to 'Player A and Player B did OK' or 'the lads worked hard but it just wasn't to be.' More realism than happy-clappy-ism, maybe?

(Sm128)

I like GHA have naver offered a match report, but like to stick the boot in with totally negative put downs that make me look clever and if anyone comes in with anything even from a neutral perspective.....well they are just green tinted happy clappers, ps I'm still optimistic though.

GHA (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 15:19
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
GHA

(Sm128)

I like GHA have naver offered a match report, but like to stick the boot in with totally negative put downs that make me look clever and if anyone comes in with anything even from a neutral perspective.....well they are just green tinted happy clappers, ps I'm still optimistic though.

You should lay off the AG before you post (Sm150)

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 16:58
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
GHA

(Sm128)

You should lay off the AG before you post (Sm150)

Bloody Romans!

GHA (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 17:36
OK

millhillexile (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 12:33
Look, do we really think that the boys weren't trying.
I for one thought there was plenty of effort and we matched them in that dept particularly as we defended for a long period of the 1st half. Sometimes it come across on here that the oppo are@#$%&or average. Sale are definitely not that. They were well organised and had a scrum half that is on top form. Their lineout was better than ours. This gave them a platform for some fast attacks. Yet we held them to a 4 point win. We have definitely improved and that is a positive. We will probably be relegated but it wont be because of lack of effort. It is because the other teams are better skill wise in crucial situations.

waltham (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:58
Absolutely agree with you MH Exile...Definitely never any lack of effort and the guys seem to be as physically fit as any other squad..

AlecW (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:06
Weíll take the positives and move on ... next week is an opportunity to put it right ... we need to start winning games ... promising signs ... came up short ... the boys are focused ... spirit in the camp is fantastic ... it was a good hit-out ... a number of positives ... chance for players to redeem themselves ...

As Nye Bevan used to say: ďclich clichĒ.

Aa545 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:32
Quote:
waltham
Absolutely agree with you MH Exile...Definitely never any lack of effort and the guys seem to be as physically fit as any other squad..
While I agree the forwards put in a lot of effort and IMO probably were the better set of forwards I think the backs were to static and some looked like they couldnít be arsed , the ball hardly got to the wings and the amount of mistakes was embarrassing.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:46
The forwards got parity, but the backs were lamentable.

Partly this is because the coaches have a 'pick'n'mix' selection policy for them - I'm guessing that Fowlie and McLean have rarely if ever started together, nor TBC and McLean

And our 9 is brand new and will barely have even trained with the rest of the backs.

Hopeless selection and appalling coaching.

Just what you need for AP survival innit?

AlecW (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 17:37
Shankers - totally agree with you. Watched the game today cos in bed with flu, so nothing better to do. I thought it was ... awful.

Then I remembered. I have something better to do...

... Lie in bed and feel ill.

smileys with beer

Shawshank (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 18:11
Alec - I'm sure it did little for your recovery...(Sm100)

AlecW (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 19:33
Didnít help!

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 12:35
Must be infuriating for the forwards, all their work ends up being undone by the backs.

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 12:50
Quote:
jimbo800
Must be infuriating for the forwards, all their work ends up being undone by the backs.

'Twas ever thus, at any level of Rugby (Sm13)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 13:33
Quote:
jimbo800

If the forwards had managed to carry the ball over the gainline a little more this season, the backs would have had a little more front foot ball to work with.

Let's not pretend it's only the backs that are the issue.

Steelman (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 15:02
like MW I don't think the forwards are blameless for the seasons woes.In those games when we were shipping early tries.the props were like statues.Still when going into contact they seem to be targeting the man rather than the gap.Pick and goes still work in short sharp bursts,we don't seem to use them.I do insist though that our set piece has been good enough to make the boys competitive.Forwards selection was odd early season, the old guard should have been the replacements not the starters at the time our defence was being shredded.
The backs, well excuse Topsy Lewi and Fergus then say none of the rest have come up to scratch in the league.A couple of them definitely can't tackle at this level which is annoying as they are the best kickers.Another three or four can tackle but seem confused as to who their man is. Scott Steele can and does tackle. Thanks Scott.
Backs tactics and coaching,absolutely worthless in an attacking sense.Short of stopping the other team scoring there is no ambition.
This is pro rugby, if there is no entertainment on offer then even the green blood will soon run dry.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 15:56
My point was, for the most part our forwards have done fine. Most pro teams come unstuck in a forward battle from time to time. Our backs have ever been at the races in prem games, so while forwards arenít perfect I feel come the end of the season they can look back and think they did their bit.

The Sligo Rover (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 08:55
GO 11RSH rules OK!!!!!

15 February, 2018 09:48
Quote:
jimbo800
My point was, for the most part our forwards have done fine. Most pro teams come unstuck in a forward battle from time to time. Our backs have ever been at the races in prem games, so while forwards arenít perfect I feel come the end of the season they can look back and think they did their bit.

I'm really not sure they've been as good as you think. Earning the right to go wide is a bit of a cliche, but making yards up the middle and close to the ruck really impacts both the speed of ball and what you can do with it. We all know we haven't been up to much behind the pack, but it's hard to manufacture opportunities against set defences.

AP games this season (most recent first), the metres made by our starting pack and the (opposition's)

68 (80)
51 (115)
57 (84)
78 (84)
58 (203)
62 (128)
73 (103)
58 (136)
131 (135)
76 (134)
64 (159)
50 (156)
59 (94)
69 (88)

Not once in our 14 games this season has our pack made more ground than the opposition. It's not even a possession thing as we actually had more carries in many of the games, we just don't have the dynamic ball carriers we need to allow us to be competitive.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 10:23
Very interesting stats MW, confirm what I have suspected this season.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 10:56
MW - that may be true but it still doesn't excuse the complete failure to have any 'moves' off the set piece.

Scoring off line-outs or scrums is still one of the best ways to attack, because you can plan things reasonably precisely.

Indeed a recent stat on here showed we conceded tries off set-piece at an alarming rate.

There is however SO little movement in the backs off the ball in set-piece - everything is immobile and static, and the backs line up in a very shallow line.

Our only noticeable 'play' is the inside ball off 10/12 to the blind-side winger, used by Topsy and Lewi, and now occasionally Joe.

However, every defence that plays against us know it's coming...

GHA (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 11:08
Interesting stuff M_W, cheers. Taking the ball at pace would be a good start if we want to try and turn those stats around a bit

15 February, 2018 11:11
Not trying to suggest our backs have been good btw. Just that the whole team hasn't been functioning at the required level.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 11:12
Quote:
GHA
Interesting stuff M_W, cheers. Taking the ball at pace would be a good start if we want to try and turn those stats around a bit

Agreed and notable that two of our only forwards who seem to want to take the ball at pace, Hobbs-Awoyemi and McNally, have been out for most of the season. I know they aren't household names but I do think their absence has made a big difference.

15 February, 2018 11:20
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
GHA

Agreed and notable that two of our only forwards who seem to want to take the ball at pace, Hobbs-Awoyemi and McNally, have been out for most of the season. I know they aren't household names but I do think their absence has made a big difference.

Agree on both counts. Hobbs-Awoyemi/Hoskins would have been a decent prop pairing around the park if the set piece held up.

Almost sacrilege, but Botha rather than Coman is the sort of 6 we've probably needed this season. Coman is great to have around and rock solid, but he's not going to help Trev out with the back row carrying. Can see why they were experimenting with him at lock after Botha came.

GHA (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 11:25
Completely sacrilege but Fainga'a rather than Paice is what we need at 2 - Paice is a prime example of many carries, not many metres

GHA (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 11:37
Although M_W digs out stats to say otherwise I'll happily stand corrected. Might be a big too deep to dig though?!

15 February, 2018 11:46
Quote:
GHA
Although M_W digs out stats to say otherwise I'll happily stand corrected. Might be a big too deep to dig though?!

Sounds like a challenge. Fainga'a adds a lot of energy, but it's mostly in defence so far.

Small sample size as he hasn't played many games, but Fainga'a makes 1.18 metres per 80 mins of AP game time this season v 11.07 for Paice. He's made 14.19 tackles per 80 mins compared to Paice's 7.43, with a better completion rate too.

GHA (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 11:56
Cheers M_W, don't want to open up a can of worms though as all and sundry might start asking for the stats on all and sundry

15 February, 2018 12:03
No worries, they are all on ESPN if you know where to look, just take a bit of leg work. Did that for the pack metres made and used The Rugby Magazine fantasy rugby game (where there's a paid feature for access to some OPTA stats) as a shortcut to the individual stats comparison.

26 February, 2018 13:22
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
jimbo800

I'm really not sure they've been as good as you think. Earning the right to go wide is a bit of a cliche, but making yards up the middle and close to the ruck really impacts both the speed of ball and what you can do with it. We all know we haven't been up to much behind the pack, but it's hard to manufacture opportunities against set defences.

AP games this season (most recent first), the metres made by our starting pack and the (opposition's)

68 (80)
51 (115)
57 (84)
78 (84)
58 (203)
62 (128)
73 (103)
58 (136)
131 (135)
76 (134)
64 (159)
50 (156)
59 (94)
69 (88)

Not once in our 14 games this season has our pack made more ground than the opposition. It's not even a possession thing as we actually had more carries in many of the games, we just don't have the dynamic ball carriers we need to allow us to be competitive.

Worcester - 128 (81)
Northampton - 57 (86)

Well, what do you know. We finally managed it on the 16th attempt. Ball carrying forwards, should be a priority recruitment wise next season. Botha will likely get a better gig somewhere, but we need to identify a few that can fill that role in the Championship and are young enough to progress from there. More important that getting in experienced campaigners for me.

GHA (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 13:48
Cheers M_W

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net