rugbyunion
Latest News:

Merge with Ealing?
Hazlewood (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 08:41
Bear with my because I realise this may be contentious but has anyone thought about merging the club with Ealing?

Re: Merge with Ealing?
HMRH (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 08:50
I mentioned a while back that an ambitious Ealing owner might find buying into LI the best route into the AP. Brand might be the issue there but consolidation seems logical somewhere along the line as the numbers donít stack up to support too many pro clubs

Not sure it would be good news but financially and as a concept to discuss I can see the commercial appeal

21 February, 2018 09:06
Irish Trailfinders, Ealing Irish? Not too keen in the idea, unless it is the only option for a sustainable future.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 12:36
I think the reality is that clubs will need to seek out these kinds of options to ensure survival. It could work out well for both parties if done correctly. Both maintain their amateur youth systems but combine at pro level. As for th name, London Irish Trailfinders isnít too horrendous

Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 13:28
Perhaps you could merge with London Scottish ? ... Oh hang on ....eye rolling smiley

Fursa (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 13:58
WE have already taken over Richmond & London Scottish
and formed a company London Irish Scottish Richmond Limited!!!

Aa545 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 14:48
Quote:
Fursa
Would just need a name change to London Irish Scottish Richmond Ealing Trailfinders Limited and all sorted. Rolls of the tongue quite easily!!

Shawshank (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 15:19
Quote:
Aa545
Quote:
Fursa
Would just need a name change to London Irish Scottish Richmond Ealing Trailfinders Limited and all sorted. Rolls of the tongue quite easily!!

Trellis RFC (Sm1)

HMRH (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 15:57
Trellis? That would help us climb back the league ladder

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 16:05
Quote:
HMRH
Trellis? That would help us climb back the league ladder

No, just help support all the teams around us by handing over our talent

HMRH (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 16:19
I think you missed the pun with trellis Jimbo

Admittedly wasnít that funny

Fursa (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 17:43

LISRET for short

Steelman (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 20:11
Urrh, lads the worlds moved on a season since this topic was last discussed and the teams fortunes now favour Ealing. A competitive prem team called Trailfinders, with a Ag bar in a nice environment might satisfy all but the most fervent traditionalists, and as there is no ongoing supply of top class Irish players,what would be the argument against, if this was to come to fruition.

waltham (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 20:15
There's certainly some potential sense in the suggestion. However; why would Ealing be interested? Given the demise of other "Exiles" clubs, maybe the answer is some sort of combined club with a clear West London/Thames Valley local identity rather than a Celtic flavour (often derided). If we are relegated AND if the Premiership does introduce ring fencing next season, then there will also be an issue as to which " buddy" Championship club becomes an official feeder for Quinns and Sarries as the remaining South East representatives. What of Richmond and Scottish as well as Ealing? Who would they buddy up to???

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 20:30
Quote:
HMRH

No no, I got it. I just added my own one

HMRH (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 06:17
Quote:
jimbo800
Quote:
HMRH

No no, I got it. I just added my own one

Got it! Ha

wattshisname (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 07:27
Why doesn't the club move to the South Bank and call itself London Eyerish?

FrTed (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 07:57
Surely that would be "London Iris"?

I shall get my coat

waltham (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 08:05
Quote:
FrTed
I shall get my coat

London Isis?

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 09:19
I really enjoyed visiting their ground last season. Very impressive facilities and would make a good rugby ground. Not sure whether they have the space to expand the capacity to meet the Premiership requirements.

waltham (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 10:04
Quote:
paulm1953
I really enjoyed visiting their ground last season. Very impressive facilities and would make a good rugby ground. Not sure whether they have the space to expand the capacity to meet the Premiership requirements.

They expanded with "temporary" stands I think to cater for their Rugby League mates..

cjm. (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 12:06
Quote:
waltham
Quote:
FrTed
I shall get my coat

London Isis?

I really don't want to imagine what the half-time entertainment might be.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 20:12
Quote:
waltham
Quote:
FrTed
I shall get my coat

London Isis?

That would certainly solve the problem of Reading F.C. profiting from the bar sales.

Kildysart (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 08:23
Makes sense. Their dosh. Their playing facilities. Our Hazelwood base. Two good amateur and academy set-ups. London Celtic anyone? Irish Trailfinders? London Exiles?

Narbia (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 09:51
Why on earth would Ealing actually want to merge with London Irish?

They're promotion contenders : who we just scraped a win against the last time in the Championship.

TeflonTed (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 11:46
CelticRegionalAndPaddies?

Sorry.

exile99 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 18:16
Quote:
Narbia

For our P share.

jhnnyi (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 19:05
It's not the craziest idea I've ever heard - certainly preferable to moving lock stock and barrel to Coventry, playing at the Kassam Stadium or being bought out by Quins! Plus makes the Brentford move - only when the 'new' club is ready - more palatable. Suspect it's a longshot though but here's hoping because our future is looking pretty bleak right now.

waltham (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 20:27
Quote:
Narbia
They're promotion contenders : who we just scraped a win against the last time in the Championship.

yup. London West maybe?? ..."if" Ealing were even slightly interested, then why bother changing "their" name??

Finno (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 08:32
The idea of a ground share is doable,and is actually a good one!

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 23:34
Quote:
exile99
Quote:
Narbia

For our P share.

If they wanted it, they could buy it from you after the relegated team has spent a year outside the premiership IIRC. So in theory, on current trajectories of Bris up and LI down, if Ealing win the championship next season the sale could be forced much like Exeter put the pressure on and ended up with Leeds'.

I honestly don't see any benefit from Ealing's perspective in a merger. They have a ground, space to develop, a hungry side and owner, plus ambition. I don't think their fans would be too happy about it either.

Steelman (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 07:55
Well one good reason is that in 2 years time Ealings plight. Might be very similar to ours
Loosing team
Low fan base
Brentford not finished but contracts signed
Ground sharing with Quins
Haemorrhaging money
Questioning coaches and players ability
No P shares
Their man will want as many bums as possible on Trailfinders seats,and there's always
A deal to be done in business.

Narbia (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 09:27
(Sm124)

London Irish will refuse to sell out to 12-team closed league

Quote:
Times : (paywall) Jan 23rd
A group of influential club owners are understood to have raised the idea of the Premiership buying back the so-called ďP shareĒ from one of its 13 stakeholder

so it looks like @Rinkadink is correct. Irish in the Championship could be forced to sell the P-shares.

Hazlewood (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 11:41
London Irish would bring Hazlewood (worth something with or without planning permission), the Premiership shares, the academy and a bigger brand/support base. Ealing would bring a ground in West London that could be developed and 'new money'. Ealing would probably rather wait and see how nexct seasdon pans out ...

wattshisname (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 09:07
Quote:
Hazlewood
London Irish would bring Hazlewood (worth something with or without planning permission), the Premiership shares, the academy and a bigger brand/support base. Ealing would bring a ground in West London that could be developed and 'new money'. Ealing would probably rather wait and see how nexct seasdon pans out ...

Is it not "Hazelwood", Hazlewood?

Narbia (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:09
Quote:
Hazlewood
Ealing would probably rather wait and see how next season pans out...

To see if they gain promotion next season entirely on their own merits? And therefore don't need to look at any partner?

Next season in the Championship could well be a two horse race between LI and Ealing. Why would Ealing want to deal with a club that is a block to its first Premiership entrance?

HMRH (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:48
Because then it wouldnít be

Narbia (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:11
Quote:
HMRH
Because then it wouldnít be

Wouldn't be what?

Griff (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:18
Blocking their entry into the Premiership (it would just be ground restrictions).

Narbia (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:38
Quote:
Griff
Blocking their entry into the Premiership (it would just be ground restrictions).

So Ealing won't be blocking Irish into the Premiership and vice-versa?

Predicated upon the fact that the Ealing ground is not currently of Premiership standard.

Quote:
RugbyPaper 070218
To underline that ambition Ealing, unlike last season, are undergoing the RFU/ Premiership audit this season which any club wanting to play in the Premiership must pass. In many ways itís a paper exercise because their ground is way too small and wonít remotely pass muster, but Ealing want to know exactly what is involved and how the process works.

so if Ealing win the Championship 18/19 they won't go up. If Irish win they will - assuming they're still at the MadStad.

So many balls up in the air to juggle here. (Sm136)

stnick88 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 12:08
Quote:
wattshisname
Quote:
Hazlewood

Is it not "Hazelwood", Hazlewood?

FFS (Sm120)

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 19:55
Quote:
Rinkadink
I honestly don't see any benefit from Ealing's perspective in a merger. They have a ground, space to develop, a hungry side and owner, plus ambition. I don't think their fans would be too happy about it either.

I think the big advantage for Ealing would be a ready made fan base. Even with a very successful couple of seasons they only average about 700 fans at home games.

SK 88 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 10:47
Quote:
EverOptimistic
Quote:
Rinkadink

I think the big advantage for Ealing would be a ready made fan base. Even with a very successful couple of seasons they only average about 700 fans at home games.

Serious question, if this "merger" was like the Irish-Scottish-Richmond merger and ended up with a team called "Ealing" playing in Ealing's colours and playing in Brentford would (m)any Irish fans really follow it as their club?

How many London Scottish fans from the 90s followed Irish after that merger for instance? Presumably some Reading based Richmond fans did stay and start following Irish at the same ground.

Steelman (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:23
Quote:
SK 88
Quote:
EverOptimistic
Quote:
Rinkadink

Serious question, if this "merger" was like the Irish-Scottish-Richmond merger and ended up with a team called "Ealing" playing in Ealing's colours and playing in Brentford would (m)any Irish fans really follow it as their club?

How many London Scottish fans from the 90s followed Irish after that merger for instance? Presumably some Reading based Richmond fans did stay and start following Irish at the same ground.

Well the Scottish/Richmond thing was just a show hospitality or rather get their bums on our seats idea, to two of our historical local rivals, just after the Mad move.Realistically their fans probably ended up ar the Stoop, 2 miles down the road.
My feeling is that the amateur clubs, would likely always want to keep there own identity.The merger of the pro clubs shows more merit because it seems unlikely that either of our teams could thrive in the premiership with our current resources long term.This doesn't solve the Berkshire fans beef,it's more looking for a future for the pro clubs.

Mark W-J (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:23
Quote:
Steelman
Well the Scottish/Richmond thing was just a show hospitality or rather get their bums on our seats idea, to two of our historical local rivals, just after the Mad move.

Except it wasn't. It was officially a merger of three professional clubs.

Aa545 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:40
When we merged with Scottish , should have looked into buying Welsh as well and formed a new club called London Exiles, would have been the only way for us all to survive.
As for Ealing I donít see any positives for them apart from the premiership shares as I doubt crowds would improve by a great deal.

Narbia (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 23:56
Quote:
SK 88

That's a good question. IMHO I doubt it. Based on what I see at home matches. I think the Irish connection is important to a lot of the supporters, especially the older folks.

Still remains the matter for Ealing - with its 700 people gate - as it is for (Brentford) Irish - where are all these extra supporters going to materialise from? A secret underground bunker under the Hangar lane Gyratory?

Aa545 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 07:17
Quote:
Narbia
Quote:
SK 88

That's a good question. IMHO I doubt it. Based on what I see at home matches. I think the Irish connection is important to a lot of
the supporters, especially the older folks.

Still remains the matter for Ealing - with its 700 people gate - as it is for (Brentford) Irish - where are all these extra supporters going to materialise from? A secret underground bunker under the Hangar lane Gyratory?
I donít think the Irish connection is important in the younger fans as most are English anyway, most go as itís there closest club and wonít go to Ealing and the older ones wonít go as the Irish connection is important so I cannot see a merger/takeover making much difference to attendances.

Monoblock (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 12:32
Our merger is simple....

We've already had a lot of players go there so they obviously love what we produce..

Bath Irish

We are London, they are Bath.... so we'll find a good interim point to set up camp (say Reading) then with stadiums being expensive, Bath essentially playing on a Council Estate we could share with a well built and well located football stadium like the Madjeski maybe, then use reading station as a hub to link the fans, I mean our hard-core London support would never fall away due to a 20 minute train ride, what would that say about them?
We could have an annual party in the car park, link it to st.patricks day and curry in the Jax cafe, live bands on each week and even make use of the hotel for player interviews....

What a vision.....so much better than another club.......ah.....yes......wait a moment......

berksmenxxx (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:46
I have spent a bit of time thinking about this and think it is a non-starter, sadly.

My reasoning is as follows:

Please feel free to disagree if you think I have missed something.

In reality there is very rarely such a thing as a true merger. It is almost always one company taking over another.

In this case Mr Crossan has shown that he does not want to keep on investing in LI so he is not likely to want to buy Ealing. Therefore the dominant partner would have to be Ealing if they were interested.

I guess I cannot see any manor benefit to Ealing.

They already have their rich investor.

We do not own our own ground so no benefit whatsoever to them there.

How many of our fans would bother to travel to Ealing bearing in mind recent crowds at Reading?

Would Ealing have to honour contracts of our players who are on Premiership contracts and have proved they are not Premiership quality twice in 3 seasons?

If so the salary cap would be smashed and they would have to release players and I presume pay up their contracts.

They would not need 2 sets of admin staff, coaches etc. so again would have to pay redundancy payments.

I feel it hugely unlikely that they would want to change their name and compromise their own identity of which they will be a proud as we are of our own identity.

I do not see why they want to call themselves Ealing Irish, London Celtic, Irish Trailfinders London Exiles Trailfinders, Celtic or any other name that has Celtic identity when they have no connection to Ireland.

I would imagine such a change would alienate their core fans and think that is a non-starter. What would surely happen is we would be absorbed by them and the Irish connection would be gone.

The only thing we have is a training facility which has not shown itself to be terribly influential for us during our last 2 seasons in the Premiership.

Sadly I think a merger is not going to happen much as I think it may be a good idea, as I fear for next season and the future.

jekyll (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:32
Ealing is a lovely ground but to anyone who has been there a logistical nightmare
In the middle of housing development so no room at all for expansion with one road in and no parking
Brentford would be a logical ground but which club is basically going to surrender its identity?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net