rugbyunion
Latest News:

Article on Nick Kennedy and LI
John H (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 21:42

Re: Article on Nick Kennedy and LI
cjm. (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 13:31
Don't agree that all the coaches should be kept on or that they are our best hope. However they may be our only option.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 15:26
It is a detailed article that blames the LI present situation on the late point of signing new players. I would like to see the club having an experienced DoR who is full time not visiting once or twice per month. This should be someone like Jim Malinder.

Come on you Irish

Paul

HMRH (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 16:48
The same Jim Mallinder who has taken over at Cardiff?

Shawshank (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:33
The idea that this isn’t NJK’s squad is ridiculous.

And the writer clearly hasn’t seen our backs play this season if he thinks that Dodge is doing a good job. The backs have been utterly sterile and ineffectual.

Venter has also been a waste of space. As Italy and SA would realise.

Our defence has definately improved, so Dec gets a renewal.

Aa545 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 18:55
Article is crap, was it written by the coaches?
We played boring rugby for the majority of the season I the championship and have been rubbish this season and changes weren’t made when they needed to be, whose fault is that?

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 07:11
Quote:
Shawshank
The idea that this isn’t NJK’s squad is ridiculous.
And the writer clearly hasn’t seen our backs play this season if he thinks that Dodge is doing a good job. The backs have been utterly sterile and ineffectual.

Venter has also been a waste of space. As Italy and SA would realise.

Our defence has definately improved, so Dec gets a renewal.

Here's the thing, it's easy to criticize and single out individuals based on our perceptions of where we have improved and where we haven't, but without being at Hazelwood daily, do we really know who is behind those improvements.

You see you say Venter has been a waste of space, but what are you basing that on? I would hazard a guess that he would have had a hand in bring Botha and van Zyl to the club, so that has to be a tick in the box for him. Also, as far as I am aware he has been around almost constantly since the turn of the year, which in fact coincides with the upturn in our defensive play. Dec? Or the Doc? A combination of both? Or the players naturally getting used to what is required at this level again?

Thing is, none of us know.

Similarly in attack. Does Dodge set the attacking tactics or is he just coaching? We've seen glimpses of us throwing the ball about and running good attacking lines, albeit mainly in the cup games, so it's definitely there to do it, but somehow in the league we appear crippled by fear of losing and revert to safety first (rubbish) kick chase and bashing it repeatedly up the middle. Again, Nick? the Doc? Dodge? The players not carrying out instructions?

Answers on a postcard.

Steelman (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 10:49
No problem about you defending the coaches,the players, the old , the defenceless , the weak very pastoral of you, Oz, but let's not forget that this is a pro sports team, we pay to watch,and if wot we have watched for fourteen league games is utter cr#p, then any normal person comes to an opinion about the causes.
It took months to sort out the defensive holes,and last week was the first time ( at the end of February) that we started to throw pulled back balls to combat onrushing defenders.No wonder it's only the lumps like Tonks and Tbc who can survive at fly half.Bell and Marshall spent the first half of the season fighting for the 15 shirt.The grubber kick has hardly been used, just many hopeless box kicks. Nearly all these things have to be down to the attack coach, otherwise why have an attack coach.Even Piets try last week was down to two guys,giving it a crack,chasing hard and a lucky bounce.

nimblehippo (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:01
The article makes a valid point about recruitment, but its not the whole story. One of my main concerns is that we've been too negative. How many 4 try bonus points have we got? Just the opening day game I think. We average 16.7 points a game, and apart from Worcester, the next lowest is 21 points a game. We seem to be playing Venterball defensive style tactics without the personnel to implement it properly. Had we have been a bit more attacking in our team selections and style, we may have picked up a few try bonus points and even bagged a win or two.
Injuries did not help, I reckon Nalaga would have added some tries. I thought Newcastle would be much better this year, though admittedly not quite so dramatically. The jump is so great that any team coming up is going to struggle and even with the elimination of the protracted playoffs, the only way you can really do it is to build a squad that can develop into a prem quality one. I'm not sure that will ever be possible unless one of the clubs has a terrible meltdown.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 11:17
HMRH - My comment was "someone like Jim Malinder".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net