rugbyunion
Latest News:

Devastating!
wanderson90 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:08
Previous posts arguing whether Paice should be in the starting XV because of his discipline. In the end, his yellow card had zero affect on the game. The only thing that I wonder is why James Marshall still starts at fullback. Tactically he is inept, cannot tackle, his shocking kick cost us the game and many of his useless 'tackles' have cost us many tries this season. He is not the only player I think shouldnt be in the team but how can we carry on with a fullback as useless as him? I say get our best 15 from the academy in for the last few games!

The result this afternoon feels like the worst loss of the season, seeing how close we were to a win away from home to last seasons finalists!

Re: Devastating!
jimbo800 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:14
For all the cash he must be on, I donít think weíre getting great value at all. Sometimes when youíre bringing in kiwi backs, you have to look at what theyíve come from and the style of play that suits them. He wasnít going to find any of that at Irish. You can see what he tries to do but thatís a very kiwi way of playing and theyíve been playing that way since kids, the prem is a territory based game plan. Iíd try and cancel the contract, heís wasted in th championship and itís going to cost us a fortune when we have others to play ten and 15. Is ransom injured?

cjm. (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:22
At least he honoured his contract even though we were about to be relegated. Agree with Jimbo, he thrives in broken play and his natural game is stifled at both LI and just being in the Premiership. He seems to be too lightweight in contact most of the time for it.

Would love to see how he would fair in the Pro 14.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:24
Who has been worse - Marshall or The Show Pony...?

At least Marshall looks like he is trying, even if the output is genrally Schoite.

cjm. (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:27
Quote:
Shawshank
Who has been worse - Marshall or The Show Pony...?
At least Marshall looks like he is trying, even if the output is genrally Schoite.

Or is it just something that LI does to good players. Show Pony has been pretty, pretty good for Sarries and Scotland.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:29
Marshall far better than Maitland. Definitely plays with heart and produced some excellent moments last season and at start of this. Just looks a bit devoid of confidence at the moment.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:31
You can see why Maitland struggled as well. Our game plan is so stifling that wingers who are finishers wonít get any joy. Maitland is a finisher, Lewington is hungry and will create. Big joe was complimentary about Maitland, apparently he was very helpful when training with joe.
Marshall is too lightweight for the prem. there are plenty players of that stature playing Super rugby, but the aim is to avoid contact and take the gaps when they come around. Marshall would have loved the Maps and tagi era, heís all wrong for this though. Him honouring the contract may have had a lot to do with his English wife wanting to move back home. Out of a three year deal, itís not fanincislly savvy to have him spend two of them in the championship, problem is, I canít imagine any prem teams wanting him.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:46
Could see him at Leicester as a back up to Ford, or Northampton now theyíve appointed Chris Boyd.

cjm. (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:48
Quote:
jimbo800
You can see why Maitland struggled as well. Our game plan is so stifling that wingers who are finishers wonít get any joy. Maitland is a finisher, Lewington is hungry and will create. Big joe was complimentary about Maitland, apparently he was very helpful when training with joe.
Marshall is too lightweight for the prem. there are plenty players of that stature playing Super rugby, but the aim is to avoid contact and take the gaps when they come around. Marshall would have loved the Maps and tagi era, heís all wrong for this though. Him honouring the contract may have had a lot to do with his English wife wanting to move back home. Out of a three year deal, itís not fanincislly savvy to have him spend two of them in the championship, problem is, I canít imagine any prem teams wanting him.

How about Glasgow Warriors though? I would be interested to see him play in that setup.

Steelman (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:13
I think that if Kendo is going to continue,his most important task now we're down is start wheeling these players out and dealing some younger cheaper models in for next year.His phone should be red hot now with calls to the likes of Bristol,and the Welsh and Irish clubs. Surely he has a list of the expendables and a shopping list of his own.Its no use waiting to the close season,get bartering.Even if you can't run a winning team,balance the books up.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:18
Quote:
Steelman
I think that if Kendo is going to continue,his most important task now we're down is start wheeling these players out and dealing some younger cheaper models in for next year.His phone should be red hot now with calls to the likes of Bristol,and the Welsh and Irish clubs. Surely he has a list of the expendables and a shopping list of his own.Its no use waiting to the close season,get bartering.Even if you can't run a winning team,balance the books up.

Sure plenty of it is already done. They'll have been recruiting primarily with the championship in mind for a month or two.

Steelman (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:21
[quote cjm.][quote jimbo800]You can see why Maitland struggled as well. Our game plan is so stifling that wingers who are finishers wonít get any joy. Maitland is a finisher, Lewington is hungry and will create. Big joe was complimentary about Maitland, apparently he was very helpful when training with joe.
Marshall is too lightweight for the prem.
How about Glasgow Warriors though? I would be interested to see him play in that setup.[/quote]

Great fit, that's the way to do it...who next ?

Shawshank (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:39
McLean to go to Redingensians on a free transfer. He could cut the grass and serve behind the bar.

PDP to the knackerís yard.

Paicey to retire and become Chief Citing Officer.

cjm. (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:44
Botha to his own superhero franchise.

Saz's old man (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 19:10
We don't want McLean...our centres can tackle, run, pass and score tries...

Narbia (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 21:53
Quote:
cjm.
How about Glasgow Warriors though? I would be interested to see him play in that setup.

That made me chuckle.

Jimmy Marshall is a decent player in completely the wrong environment.

You do know that Glasgow is said to have a player budget of just £5.1M don't you? That's why they come in a southerly direction to increase their pay.

Still a paltry budget, an eager squad, and on their 2nd Kiwi manager, can produce the goods.

Just saying like.

Edited after reading the pish I'd just written. What £30K per player?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 23:16 by Narbia.

cjm. (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 22:47
Don't know much about budgets or how much Marshall costs but they do seem to have found a way to compete, entertain and have mostly sellout games. Shows that it's not all about the money, money, money.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 22:50
Odd tangent but I'd be stunned if Glasgow's playing budget was £1.5m

Stuart Hogg alone is on the best part of £400k

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 22:53 by Margin_Walker.

cjm. (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 22:53
Quote:
Narbia
Quote:
cjm.

You do know that Glasgow is said to have a player budget of just £1.5M don't you? That's why they come in a southerly direction to increase their pay..

Looks like the numbers have been transposed. 5.1 Million is what I have found. 6m this year.

link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 22:55 by cjm..

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 23:06
Can I stress I donít doubt jimmys ability. Heís just about seven years too late. Heís like a less physical version of the 12 who went to Leicester, his name escapes me. Amazing playmaker who wasnít big but was a magician with tha ball. Actually it was Bowden. God we had it good, we had the pick of sputhern hemisphere players for a while but we didnít have the cash to keep them around to make it work. I really want to win the lottery and make the good time a reality again

jekyll (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 08:23
Once again London Irish managed to lose a game they could have won but Wasps last try was a result of a poor pass by Steele putting Marshall under immediate unnecessary pressure and he didnít have the skills to complete the clearance kick
We have seen this scenario from both players over the last two seasons before, quality players learn from their mistakes

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 09:22
Quote:
jimbo800
Can I stress I donít doubt jimmys ability. Heís just about seven years too late. Heís like a less physical version of the 12 who went to Leicester, his name escapes me. Amazing playmaker who wasnít big but was a magician with tha ball. Actually it was Bowden. God we had it good, we had the pick of sputhern hemisphere players for a while but we didnít have the cash to keep them around to make it work. I really want to win the lottery and make the good time a reality again
Bowden was not as good as Marshall he was not as versatile, he was brought in as a 10 but couldn't hack it and moved to 12, he was not the pick of the bunch

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net