rugbyunion
Latest News:

Stick or twist (players)?
Blarney (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 01:58
Borrowing shamelessly from Shawshank's thread...

For all of the criticism of the coaches this season, a large part of the burden of our failure has to lie with the players. In my opinion, we need to stick with Kennedy. If Dean Richards needed 5+ seasons at Newcastle to finally turn them around, why do some think a rookie DOR should do it in less (with a team that was in a worse position)?

So, the squad. For the purposes of this discussion, I am ignoring current contracts and assuming that we could afford to offload those still on the books. I have taken into account those already confirmed as off.

Current Squad:
Bell - KEEP. Was (is) our best goal-kicker and also an underrated runner. We will need his kicking.

Botha - KEEP. He may only be here short term, but we should try and convince him to stay.

Brophy-Clews - KEEP. Would make a decent back-up 10.

Chawatama - KEEP. Not seen much of him but he's looked good when I have. Good young props are at a premium so keep developing him.

Cokanasiga - KEEP. Must convince him to stay; but only if we are going to make better use of him.

Coman - KEEP. Should be captain moving forward. Missed him badly this season. Our best tackler.

Cowan - GONE.

de Chaves - KEEP. Decent back up.

du Plessis - GET RID. Not been value for money.

Elrington - KEEP. Been impressed by him.

Fainga'a - KEEP. Looked good when he's played. Hopefully less injuries next season.

Fowlie - GET RID. Not pushed on as we wanted. Actually looked better this season but we need better.

Franks - GET RID. Strong tackler but disappointingly weak in the scrum. Save the money.

GLEAVE - KEEP. Looked good when I've seen him.

Hearn - GET RID. I'm actually a fan, but he's just a shirt-filler at this stage.

Hobbs-Awoyemi - KEEP. Was very impressed by his carrying and I think we've really missed him.

Hoskins - KEEP. Young Player of the Season? Very impressive for his age. Starting choice from now on.

Lewington - GONE

Lloyd - GET RID. Improved a lot since he first arrived but making no impact on the squad.

Lomidze - KEEP. He's got potential, maybe needs to bulk out a bit?

Marshall - KEEP. With some better backs around him and better coaching, I think he could really make an impact.

McKibbon - GET RID. Gone backwards badly since arriving.

Mclean - GET RID. Doesn't really offer anything.

McNally - KEEP. Hope his health recovers, we've missed him.

Meehan - GET RID. Doesn't add anything.

Mulchrone - KEEP. When he signed from Rotheram, who would have thought he'd become the lynchpin and our most important player. His absence has helped seal our fate this season. How many of those soft tries through midfield would he have prevented? Quite a few I reckon.

Nalaga - GET RID. It's a shame we never got to see him in action, but turning up unfit rang some alarm bells, and he must be on a fair wedge.

Nayolo - GET RID. Offers nothing whenever I've seen him.

Northcote-Green - KEEP. Been really impressed. Should be starting 7 from now on.

Ojo - KEEP. Two months ago I would have been all for offloading him. But he's actually been one of our better players when he's played recently. One more year to see us back into the premiership.

Paice - KEEP. Would look to phase him out and Porecki/Fainga'a in, but he deserves to end his career with us.

Palframan - GET RID. We have several better young props.

Paulo - KEEP. Slow but a strong presence. He has added to the team since arriving.

Porecki - KEEP. Hasn't looked out of place in the AP.

Ransom - GET RID. He's not done anything wrong but hasn't forced his way into the starting line up and just doesn't do it for me.

Reid - KEEP. Barely played but not looked bad when he has and we will need some experience in the front row.

Saulo - GET RID. This year's Sa (or Poulos - bet you don't remember him!). What was the point?

Schatz - GET RID. Pedestrian.

Smallbone - KEEP. Decent young back up

Steele - KEEP. Has blown a bit hot and cold but, when on song, is a real threat.

Tikoirotuma - GET RID. Tackling Marcus Smith onto the physio's bench has been his only notable contribution (for the last 3 years).

Tonks - GET RID. Was actually playing very well recently, but his shocker against Wasps this weekend is a reminder that he is, and shall forever be, not quite good enough.

Treviranus - KEEP. Still our best carrier, even when held together by tape. How much longer can he last?

van der Merwe - GET RID. I've been disappointed. Not lived up to the hype.

van Zyl - KEEP. Same as Botha, keep if we can. Been a breath of fresh air.

Williams - KEEP. Still got the potential to be an international-class centre. Pray for an injury-free year.

With a few more bodies - we have enough to come back up. But, for our next return, we need to recruit a top class centre, fly-half and No.8 as a minimum.

We do have a core of young, talented, English qualified players. Play them together as much as possible next year.

Re: Stick or twist (players)?
Aiden1011 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 06:59
Disagree with the decision for Fowlie, I think him and Johnny in midfield has been working quite well and I think hell get a good run out in the championship. Also even though Tonks didnt have the best of games agaisnt Wasps hes definitely improved like agaisnt Worcester he was much better

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 07:55
Fowlie certainly worth keeping, his partnership with Williams is starting to come together.
Would also keep franco if we can as his experience could be crucial next year

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 09:26
How about Gilsenan? I would make him the captain for next season.

Come on you Irish

Paul

Egg Head (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 13:47
Agree on Fowlie but would keep Van der Merwe and Franks. Also prefer Tonks to TBC if honest. Being good enough to come back up is clearly not the same as being good enough to stay up in 2019/2020....but one step at a time!

Bazzo (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 17:12
Alright saying "get rid" of certain players, but if they are under contract (eg, PDP, FVDM came here last year I presume on longer than a one year deal) and they do not want to go or if they can't get another club then you would probably have to pay them a years wages to "get rid" and why would you do that? Are they not better off staying and helping to get promoted rather than just paying them to watch us from the stand? It would be plausible for players out of contract.

Your list is long and a tad emotive, but it is impractical from a cost point of view I would say. If you have to pay them to get rid, you also have to replace them do you not? or the large majority of them at least. While it is fun reading, the cost of exits would be huge.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 17:42
Quote:
Bazzo
Alright saying "get rid" of certain players, but if they are under contract (eg, PDP, FVDM came here last year I presume on longer than a one year deal) and they do not want to go or if they can't get another club then you would probably have to pay them a years wages to "get rid" and why would you do that? Are they not better off staying and helping to get promoted rather than just paying them to watch us from the stand? It would be plausible for players out of contract.
Your list is long and a tad emotive, but it is impractical from a cost point of view I would say. If you have to pay them to get rid, you also have to replace them do you not? or the large majority of them at least. While it is fun reading, the cost of exits would be huge.

I doubt the suggestion was to pay them off.
Id keep Franco, we seem to be unable to produce academy second row. He seems like a very street wise player who would be great at navigating the championship. Him alongside Chaves would be a very good pairing. I would install gilsenan as captain, I always felt they were biding their time with him, theire were others like Cowan and trev starting before him but I think hell start to see far more game time. I imagine well be saving a decent chunk next season with what I imagine are the three biggest earners off the books (Lewington, franks and Cowan). More importantly we have the replacements already in the squad. Id promote loader to a match day 22 (dont know if ransom will be with us), we have a lot of props, and gilsenan stepping up with the likes of basham and Curtis Harris stepping up. If joe wanted away, the most Id offer him was a loan for a season, no point getting his signature for four years to then open the door for him to leave. (There may be a release clause but if he club wanted to prevent another exodus I imagine they would have done everything they could to prevent one.

Blarney (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 17:51
I did say that I was ignoring the issue of contract lengths for what is, essentially a hypothetical discussion. 🙄

HMRH (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 18:10
Get rid of Franco? I accept we all have opinions but Im genuinely amazed by that comment

Steelman (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 18:17
And although there's almost certainly some employees rights now,a contact sports team needs players with physical durability, Ie move the sick notes nearer the door, and make sure we don't take on players with fitness issues unless they are from Bothas family.Fowlie by virtue of his availability,has hardly missed a game, just by always being fit to go.

Steelman (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 18:25
[quote HMRH]Get rid of Franco? I accept we all have opinions but Im genuinely amazed by that comment[/quote
Agreed,every pack needs an old git front row,and another pushing and he fits the bill well.Someone for Pacey to talk to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net