rugbyunion
Latest News:

Declan Kidney and Les Kiss to join forces
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 23:00
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Venter to leave at the end of the season.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Re: Declan Kidney and Les Kiss to join forces
The Sligo Rover (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 23:28
It is a bit like bolting the stable door..........

bigbitty (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 06:47
#KissmyKidney

PV (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 07:01
Well for those (me included), crying out for experience, this would tick the box. It may also see the club hiring more Irish players - could be positive. If we could get a link with the IRFU like Quins with the All Blacks as well....

Overall, I think itís very positive and clearly shows intent.

Rroooo (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 07:45
Not sure how I feel about this. I have enormous respect for NK and DD. If you accept the fact we are relegated, which I do, does this mean the exit door for NK and DD? Are we going to do a Bristol and recruit now for the next 2/3 years despite playing in the championship ?

GHA (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 08:38
'The Director of Rugby is responsible for the recruitment, development and management of players and coaches at the Club. Responsibilities: ... Oversee the implementation of any long term player development programmes etc throughout the Club.'

GHA (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 09:00
Not sure the above is what people have in mind when they say NO I for DoR..?

Bazzo (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 09:09
Don't know much about them.

How long has Kidney been out of rugby for? I know he has not been involved for a while, has he only ever coached Munster? What kind of rugby does he like to play?

Kiss left Belfast very quickly, why?

Is Kennedy staying?

PV (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 09:12
Article answers some of your questions Bazzo. Kiss left because of Ulsterís performance. Kidney has been out of the pro game since 2013. Both have strong track records and have worked together in the Ireland set up.

GHA (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 09:19
Kidney's honours

Munster
- Celtic League 02/03
- Heineken Cup 05/06, 07/08

Ireland
- U-19 World Championship 98
- Wolfhounds - Churchill Cup 09
- Six Nations 09 (Triple Crown, Grand Slam)

Individual
- World Rugby Coach of the Year 09

Fair to say results went a bit downhill after 2009, and his contract was terminated in 2013. He's been Director of Sport at UCC since then.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 09:26
I suppose the issue is that Kidney has been out of proffesional rugby management for about 5 years and Kiss's sudden departure from Ulster.

That said I am excited about this move and will renew my season ticket.

Hopefully we will get rid of all the part time coaches and Kidney/ Kiss have a number of Irish players lined up to join us.

Come on you Irish

Paul

GHA (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 09:34
Quote:
paulm1953
Hopefully... Kidney/ Kiss have a number of Irish quality players lined up to join us.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 09:47
Quote:
GHA
Kidney's honours
Munster
- Celtic League 02/03
- Heineken Cup 05/06, 07/08

Ireland
- U-19 World Championship 98
- Wolfhounds - Churchill Cup 09
- Six Nations 09 (Triple Crown, Grand Slam)

Individual
- World Rugby Coach of the Year 09

Fair to say results went a bit downhill after 2009, and his contract was terminated in 2013. He's been Director of Sport at UCC since then.

Ok.... Thanks.

These are all over a decade ago, impressive but a long time ago. This would have been having Irelands Golden Generation of players at his disposal, O'Driscoll, O'Connell, O'Gara, D'arcy, Murphy etc etc (can't think of them all). Has he ever coached a team of slightly less quality? Or was that the bit between 2009 and 2013?

GHA (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 10:12
Playing Devil's Advocate:

2009 isn't over a decade ago winking smiley

Ireland's golden generation started coming through a lot earlier than 2009

He's a Cork man born and bred, so maybe after coaching Munster and Ireland he wanted to stay close to home for a while, and the Munster job wasn't available or he didn't fancy it for a third time so he went to UCC

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 10:23
I think Kidneys lack of experience in the prem and itís dealings are levelled our by Kennedyís experience of playing prem rugby and how much meh would have learnt this season. Kennedyís experience and relationships with the youth and future of the team is exactly why he needs to be kept.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 10:44
If he does come in, I hope they do it properly rather than as a Venter type Technical Director role who isn't on site 100% of the time. Have heard Kidney like to be close to home, so hopefully he would be actually making the move properly.

I guess will find out next week

Shawshank (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:43
If true this would be a considerable and very welcome coup for us - both have great pedigrees and know all about NH rugby.

Presumably they will also have more funds invested for the playing side of things?

Have we got new Irish investors on board I wonder?

Gillhooley (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:59
Afternoon all,

It's not often I take to the messageboard but this is worthy of mention. What a fantastic appointment, one which I have been waiting for.

Both Deccie & Les have a wealth of experience that far outstrips anyone else in the Premeiership. Fecking Grand Slam for gods sake!!

Probably a bit late for our Prem prospects but bodes well for next season. Hope they weald the axe, get rid of the chaff & the duffers.

Maybe I will go to another game this season.

Cheers

Gooly

(Sm134)

Ajax Treesdown (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 12:28
Quote:
jimbo800
I think Kidneys lack of experience in the prem and itís dealings are levelled our by Kennedyís experience of playing prem rugby and how much meh would have learnt this season. Kennedyís experience and relationships with the youth and future of the team is exactly why he needs to be kept.

Amazing.

GHA (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 12:57
The views of a Munster fan on another board:

'I think it's an excellent appointment, you have a double Heineken Cup winning coach who has a Grandslam yo his name and a defense coach who pretty much pioneered the choke tackle and won multiple 6 Nation's. The only apprehebsion I'd have is that Kidney has been out of the game for a while but I think as a DOR he could be excellent for Irish.

Lack of experience is definitely not an issue I can guarantee that. I think a year in the championship with both coaches would allow them to set up structures and standards in anticipation of a return to the premiership so I think you're onto a winner here.'

Aiden1011 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 16:08
Confirmed now
[www.london-irish.com]

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 16:11
Both on 3 year contracts and Kendo and team stay.

Anonymous User (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 16:13
Brilliant! Really really great news!

Griff (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 16:14
Excellent stuff. Joining as Technical Consultant and Head Coach with immediate effect. Had we got them last year we might not be in quite such a grim position. Let's hope they can turn it around and do the impossible. If not I think it'll be a good re-group in the Championship.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 16:16
The great thing is their 1st game is st Paddyís next week.

09 March, 2018 16:29
Quote:
Exile_Dave

Dont get too carried away ED it's the week after.

Finno (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 16:38
Great news and a real positive move! Also,wise to keep the existing team in place!

It's nice to start feeling positive again !!

Griff (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 16:44
Quote:
gaggin4aguinness or 2
Quote:
Exile_Dave

I'd say that's even better. Another week for the new team to bed-in and make some positive progress.

GHA (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 16:46
Good luck to all, fingers crossed onwards and maybe downwards at first but then upwards spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 16:46
Quote:
gaggin4aguinness or 2
Quote:
Exile_Dave

Sorry, got my dates wrong. 2 weeks away. Well spotted G4AG.

Bill the chip (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 17:15
This is fantastic news,firstly it puts some proven experience at the helm, welcome gents,, secondly, surely there must be much much needed investment following them .. or they wouldn't have come..? Thirdly we've kept Nick Dec Paul,and George these guys have worked tirelessly this season without the financial clout to compete .... they were at a gun fight armed with knives.... thank you lads
As the club and board are still fighting to keep this club going forward, it would be great as supporters to welcome the new guys in force on paddys day .......with a new buzz and optimistic look going forward see you there!

Aa545 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 17:33
What is Kendo going to be doing for the next 3 years then? Cannot see him being involved in any decision making with these two in charge.

waltham (IP Logged)
09 March, 2018 23:11
Attack Coach ???

Rroooo (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 12:06
Lets no forget, Mick Crossan is again digging deep. Despite our poor run over the last few years, he has always backed the club with his cash.

norg2072 (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 15:06
According to rumours down the club this is new money not Micks!

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 17:04
Investment.

waltham (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 21:57
Quote:
norg2072
According to rumours down the club this is new money not Micks!

really??? Do tell...

peejay (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 06:53
Good that we have finally got some savvy experienced coaching leadership. I hope they can work out out fairly quickly who within the NK, Dec, Dodge, Skivs quartet can cut the mustard and release any who can't.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 19:34
Quote:
peejay
Good that we have finally got some savvy experienced coaching leadership. I hope they can work out out fairly quickly who within the NK, Dec, Dodge, Skivs quartet can cut the mustard and release any who can't.

Let's hope this is true.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:14
Word has it that the two Ulster boys who are in court are already scouting for clubs as they donít see a future with Ulster. Kiss may come into his own now and sort out our 10 & 12 combo issues

John H (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:28
Quote:
Word has it that the two Ulster boys who are in court are already scouting for clubs as they donít see a future with Ulster. Kiss may come into his own now and sort out our 10 & 12 combo issues

That's assuming they have a favourable outcome from the courts.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:42
Iíve heard theyíre confident enough to be looking for clubs.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 23:06
Paddy jackson would be a terrific signing

Bazzo (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 23:19
Quote:
Hugo.LI

You reckon? Call me old fashioned but reading about his recent behaviour, irrespective of any outcome, I would not like him here.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 07:38
Paddy Jackson is a class fly half. If he is found not guilty on the rape charge then LI should consider offering him a contract.

Come on you Irish

Paul

GHA (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 08:51
Quote:
paulm1953
Paddy Jackson is a class fly half. If he is found not guilty on the rape charge then LI should consider offering him a contract.

With a stern warning about his off field conduct, and the behaviours expected of him. If he's found not guilty...

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 09:04
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Hugo.LI

You reckon? Call me old fashioned but reading about his recent behaviour, irrespective of any outcome, I would not like him here.

I think youíd be surprised by the behaviour of pro rugby players. The difference is, unlike footballers, rugby stories rarely make it to the papers. Through the grapevine Iíve heard plenty of stories about players with other players wives, even at Irish.
The Jackson case is pretty black and white, guilty or not guilty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net