rugbyunion
Latest News:

Johnny Williams
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 06:10
On his way to Bath according to TRP. Relegation clause etc...

Re: Johnny Williams
Ecksile (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 07:48
Unfortunately heís going to be one amongst many I think.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 08:16
This is why our rebuild starts again every few years, these guys just donít want to stay. Himself and Joe C are form the same batch in the academy so I imagine if one is going, theyíre both going. I donít know how Bath are such an attraction for them, theyíre not exactly tearing up trees in the league. I hope Kidney and co can persuade some of these lads to stick around.
Maybe heís had enough of playing on a backline that doesnít do an awful lot. Joe must be thinking the same. When they see what Kiss can bring to the party hopefully theyíll realise that their futures arenít dependant on Hodgson coming up with decent backplay. Those two with the younger academy guys pretty much make up our future backline, Iím assuming the club are trying desperately to keep them

PV (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 08:33
He had hardly torn up trees either. Good luck to him, but I feel he has failed to live up to his potential and I donít see Bath and Blackadder getting that out for him. Witness Tom Homer

Shawshank (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 08:55
Would have liked to keep him, but he has never really Ďtrained oní since his breakthrough season a couple of years ago.

And his defence in the early season mailings by Saints and Falcons was very poor.

Steelman (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 09:04
Hard truth is that with his luck with injury we have only ever seen tiny glimpses of the talent he showed initially. Shake hands,all the best.

11 March, 2018 09:14
He's been very good this year now he's clear if injury. Getting over the gainline and very good in defence.

Would be a shame to lose him

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 09:14
Saying adios is easy enough but when youíre in a position like ours, finding replacements is the challenge. Heís far too young for us to be saying he hasnít reached his potential. Hurrell is someone we should go in for, big fan of his.

NMB (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 09:24
Does the article imply he is definitely going or just that bath are interested? Would hate to lose him and he would be much needed in the championship and hard to replace

11 March, 2018 09:31
Quote:
NMB
Does the article imply he is definitely going or just that bath are interested? Would hate to lose him and he would be much needed in the championship and hard to replace

Doesn't say it's a done deal, but seems to be a little more in it than just bath being interested in him.

Just says Bath are set to bolster their ex LI contingent, believed to have a release clause, he's keen to further England ambitions etc.

I guess we'll see, but if he does have a clause in there we'll struggle to hold on to him

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 09:49
Some of these guys need their heads examined. England ambitions at the moment, especially at centre. Itíll be a few years before anyone looks at guys like johnny. Heís pretty low down the pecking order.

Steelman (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 09:59
Speaking of Ealing,which we weren't, did you notice the 3 exits to Bris, and the 2 to the Reds, including Pemberty.Expecting statement of new signings imminently !

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 10:26
Barf board is saying itís a done deal. They seem happy with the signing and have also mentioned that they would also like Joe aswell.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

RodB (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 11:29
May be difficult to take an objective view of johnny's or any of our potential "stars" development in consistently underperforming teams. Difficult to soar like an eagle when surrounded by turkeys......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 12:26 by RodB.

PV (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 12:01
I donít fhink any player has meaningfully improved since leaving us for Bath.

bigbitty (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 12:13
When you are one of the better players in a poor team, it must be easy to think yourself capable of playing in a better team. However, as PV alludes, that ain't necessarily so.

Anonymous User (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 12:47
21 Jan edition of TRP page 3 interview with Kendo states if anyone tries to poach JW, JC or TBC there'll be a legal battle as they'd need to break contract. Make of that what you will.

Aa545 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 13:29
I thought given Kendoís relationship with the academy players and how well he got on with (according to some on here then) non of them would leave,So surely the story cannot be true .

NMB (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 13:30
That's right Florida, I took from that these guys were staying for the foreseeable. Ill be disappointed if they now leave

Heaf (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 13:52
Would have to be Bath wouldn't it - I know it's irrational but I'm really starting to hate that team.

dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 14:21
Thanks for your kind words, Heaf. But itís hardly a surprise that quite a few players have moved our way from you guys, given our relative proximity, coaching connections and now player connections, too. Oh and we have a nice gym.

I like the look of Williams. And JC. But despite all of these signings, I think you lot are still are in credit because of Mike Catt.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 15:09
Quote:
dr.bath1865
Thanks for your kind words, Heaf. But itís hardly a surprise that quite a few players have moved our way from you guys, given our relative proximity, coaching connections and now player connections, too. Oh and we have a nice gym.
I like the look of Williams. And JC. But despite all of these signings, I think you lot are still are in credit because of Mike Catt.

Very wise words indeed, not even worth thinking about really, I had forgot about MC it was that long ago and of course he was straight out of your academy and bath had single handedly developed him as a player, it's not as if he just turned uo from South Africa to get into the best team in the land at that time.

HMRH (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 15:19
Jesus lads -
Now that Bath arenít breaking the salary cap itís all fair
and above board. Players choose where they go and good luck to them

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 15:26
Quote:
HMRH
Jesus lads -
Now that Bath arenít breaking the salary cap itís all fair
and above board. Players choose where they go and good luck to them

Sorry for counterpointing a suggestion that we are in some way in deficit for the previous signing of M Catt from Bath, there is no need to have a point of view that might be seen as a bit of a petty squabble in your point of view.

M51 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 16:42
If only we had another potential Mike Catt. He was to me a player who got the best of those around him and the next generation. I would welcome him back as a coach.
looking forward to seeing the squad flourish under the new regime and how we go against Gloucester will be a marker for the future. Early days but hey ho I hope the lads will give it a good go.
Cmon you Irish

HMRH (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 16:55
What? Theres me using a stalking horse to bring up the salary cap again and again and again and itís now a petty squabble with Lib

PV (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 18:10
Didnít Mike Catt leave Bath because they wanted to offer him pay as you play as heíd had a hard time with injury, so we hardly poached him now did we?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 18:11 by PV.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 20:00
Quote:
jimbo800
Saying adios is easy enough but when youíre in a position like ours, finding replacements is the challenge. Heís far too young for us to be saying he hasnít reached his potential. Hurrell is someone we should go in for, big fan of his.

Will Hurrell?

Signed a contact extension for Bristol in September.

berksmenxxx (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 11:59
The problem is a players carter is short.
They all have the confidence that they are good and can step up a level that is the natural mindset of any pro sportsman, they have to have confidence to be in the game.
I guess the opportunity to plan in Europe and the Prem outweighs and loyalty to anyone or anything else.
The other thing is of course for most players they club that they play for does not mean as much to them as it does to us as fans. In most cases, not all I am sure the club is just a vehicle for personal success and is a job.
Very few of us fans would stay with our current employer if we were offered what we perceived to be better opportunities elsewhere.
If they are offered more money elsewhere that will of course also be a factor in making a decision to move on.

Heaf (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 12:49
I don't blame the players but it would be nice if Bath didn't seem to continually come looking to plunder our academy.

grumpy1960 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 18:45
Quote:
PV

So Watson, JJ & Garvey not improved since joining Bath. Really?

12 March, 2018 21:22
Quote:
grumpy1960
Quote:
PV

Don't forget homer, Allison, lahiff, banahan and stooke grinning smiley

SirBurger (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 21:42
Quote:
grumpy1960
Quote:
PV

I actually don't think they have improved that much. Watson, yes, but only because he left us when he was very young. The others have probably improved by about 5-10% but have just got noticed more because Bath is a big club.

HMRH (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 13:51
why do we care? Genuinely. Its a free market players come and go and clubs let them go at the drop of a hat.

Bath cheated with salary and sadly have a rich backer(s) to see them through but whether LI players go there or not - couldn't care less.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 17:59
Bath reportedly after Jamie Roberts, doubt they would sign both Williams and Roberts

13 March, 2018 19:22
Quote:
Hugo.LI
Bath reportedly after Jamie Roberts, doubt they would sign both Williams and Roberts

Where are you getting that from?

Aiden1011 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 19:32
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Hugo.LI

[twitter.com]

13 March, 2018 20:23
Quote:
Aiden1011
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Hugo.LI

[twitter.com]

Ah. I stopped following them as they seemed quite inaccurate with their rumours. How are they these days?

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 12:08
Roberts to Bath is confirmed

HMRH (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 13:39
Spot on the rumour Hugo

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 13:59
Youíre imagine they wonít be going after Williams now, makes no sense shelling on two centres. Thatís not to say another club wonít try and get him

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 10:10
A tweet from Alex shaw (very well respected journalist) suggests two of our younger lads are off possibly more, seemed to imply that it was Williams and big Joe

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
17 March, 2018 13:42
Iím not going to believe it until itís announced. Hope this isnít true.

17 March, 2018 13:47
Quote:
Hugo.LI
A tweet from Alex shaw (very well respected journalist) suggests two of our younger lads are off possibly more, seemed to imply that it was Williams and big Joe

When did he post that? Anything more than TRP already linking both to Bath?

HMRH (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 10:13
Had a chat with one of those two named above on Saturday and I asked direct. On the spot but said he was staying

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 10:34
How much do you want for the name? Donít dangle that snippet of info

waltham (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 20:36
Thanks HMRH...that's enough for me at this time in the season....Move on :-)

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 21:18
Which one is staying?

20 March, 2018 21:49
Quote:
jimbo800
Which one is staying?

Both

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 22:00
I need to hear from HMRH

20 March, 2018 22:30
Quote:
jimbo800
I need to hear from HMRH

Why? Neale Harvey interviewed Kendo who stated JW, TBC and JC would need to break contracts to move on. So either Harvey got it wrong (which I doubt as he's a good journalist), Kendo got it wrong / lied (which I doubt as the truth will out and all that) or Fissler's source has it wrong.

HMRH's statement supports the possibility that Fissler's source is wrong. Of course, the player HMRH spoke to could have been telling porkies...

Anyway, until evidence proves otherwise I'll trust Kendo (and Harvey)

GHA (IP Logged)
21 March, 2018 06:28
Have they started following any other clubs on twatter?

Saz's old man (IP Logged)
23 March, 2018 14:41
Try Newcastle...

SirBurger (IP Logged)
23 March, 2018 14:49
Quote:
Saz's old man
Try Newcastle...

That actually would make sense as a replacement for Socino, although he would have stiff competition from Matavesi who has been very good for them.

25 March, 2018 06:16
Fissler in today's TRP seems pretty sure that Cokanasiga and Williams will both be confirmed by Bath as soon as relegation confirmed. Would be a shame, as even just keeping hold of Williams would have been a bonus. Just hope the loss of youngsters doesn't go much deeper than that.

Kidney earlier in the paper says that he's aware a few guys have arrangements in place and he'll try to persuade others to stay.

The Sligo Rover (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 08:03
He will be wasting his time trying to persuade me to stay new year as unfortunately
I shall not be renewing my contract.

Heaf (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 10:09
So how many is that now gone from our academy to Bath?

Xprop (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 10:50
Quote:
Heaf
oSo how many is that now gone from our academy to Bath?

Banahan, Garvey, Joseph, Watson, Williams, Joe. Anyone else?

PV (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 11:01
.... and won precisely nil silverware. Add Homer, Sisi as well

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 11:02
It leaves a bad taste in the mouth when you know players have lined up their plans afte relegation whilst trying to stop the club from getting relegated. Definite conflict of interest.

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 11:14
Wasn't Lahiff in your academy for a bit?

Xprop (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 11:18
Yes, but he played in Australia before joining Bath

Jester (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 12:43
Quote:
jimbo800
It leaves a bad taste in the mouth when you know players have lined up their plans afte relegation whilst trying to stop the club from getting relegated. Definite conflict of interest.

Eh, I think you'll find it's the players looking after themselves, and in a short span career who can blame them?

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 13:01
Quote:
Jester
Quote:
jimbo800

Eh, I think you'll find it's the players looking after themselves, and in a short span career who can blame them?

I know why it happens, hey have careers to safeguard. But in a game as rich as football, even they know that your business should be done in the summer in between the season. If they can manage even wih the complexity of the business, why canít rugby? Players playing whilst knowing they are leaving isnít an ideal situation. Footballers are essentially dropped whilst their business is being taken care of.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 08:41
Confirmed by the best source (not HP), Williams to Newcastle once relegation is confirmed.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 08:49
Quote:
jimbo800
Confirmed by the best source (not HP), Williams to Newcastle once relegation is confirmed.

Least itís not Barf, lol.

GHA (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 09:26
Good luck to him, hopefully he can kick on and fulfil his early promise

Xprop (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 09:40
Will we even be left with a good enough team to win the championship next year I wonder.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 09:43
Thatís a very real risk given last time we had made a load of signings, that wonít be the case this season.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 10:34
[quote Xprop]Will we even be left with a good enough team to win the championship next year I wonder.[/quote

Well nothing is a given, but it seems that some of the better players from the championship clubs are also being harvested by premiership teams.
It maybe that, they will also be potentially weakened by losing good players

Back to the thread it almost puts some players in charge of their own destiny at Christmas, could be seen that they have already decided to leave and can even make their own excuse, god forbid.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 10:37
Well apparently we have signed Tom Stephenson from Saints as we offered him more money than they did, plus we have managed to persuade Kidney and Kiss to come. So there must be money available to strengthen the squad.

Obviously losing Williams is a blow, but Stephenson is a similar player and if he can get over previous injury crises would be a more than adequate replacement.

GHA (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 11:05
Quote:
SirBurger
we have managed to persuade Kidney and Kiss to come. So there must be money available to strengthen the squad

Crazy isn't it, if you'd said at Christmas 'I wonder if Kiss and Kidney would be interested' half the message board would've said 'what financial dreamland are you living in?'

Heaf (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 12:33
If the rumoured proposals around relegation/promotion go ahead the chances of any team getting promoted from the championship will be almost non existent.

GHA (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 12:38
Big if there Heaf

Heaf (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 15:45
Hopefully it's not accurate but wasn't Mick approached to sell his P-shares which would tend to add some credibility to the rumours?

NahNuffink (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 15:48
Has to be relegation clause for both:
JW re-signed Nov 17 - doesn't state length of contract.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

JC re-signed Oct 17 for 4 years
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Steelman (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 15:55
[quote Heaf]Hopefully it's not accurate but wasn't Mick approached to sell his P-shares which would tend to add some credibility to the rumours?[/quote

One day soon he may have to make the decision,whether to take the sack of gold to rebalance
his books or plough on, that's a tough one.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
29 March, 2018 15:58
If we canít get back up to the prem, heíd have to try and eat his cash back. Getting back to that standard after one year out was too much, imagine how bad it would be after several years

Aiden1011 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2018 21:19
Quote:
SirBurger
Well apparently we have signed Tom Stephenson from Saints as we offered him more money than they did, plus we have managed to persuade Kidney and Kiss to come. So there must be money available to strengthen the squad.
Obviously losing Williams is a blow, but Stephenson is a similar player and if he can get over previous injury crises would be a more than adequate replacement.
RugbyInsideLine now has that Stephenson could be heading to Worcester

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net