rugbyunion
Latest News:

Jackson and Olding
tonyh50 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 09:26
Apparently both are to leave Ulster after being acquitted (unanimously) at their recent trial. Possibility that the K & K links might be able to offer them a fresh start with LI?, both are proven internationals and would add considerable strength to next seasons campaign in our return to the Premiership. Doubtful that they will get another club in Ireland so it could be seen as a great opportunity for both them and us.

Re: Jackson and Olding
cjm. (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 10:32
No thanks. Be better for everyone if they went to France or Japan away from any spotlight. They may be innocent but they are very tarnished goods.

John H (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 10:34
I don't think Britain or Ireland will be their destination. more likely France will be where they end up.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 10:45
They had deals in place before the K’s were in place

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 13:56
Rumour has it that Paddy Jackson is wanted by Chiefs.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Florida (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 18:02
Rugby Inside Line have just posted the rumour that PJ is joining us.

Prarie Dog (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 19:36
Quote:
Exile_Dave
Rumour has it that Paddy Jackson is wanted by Chiefs.

As a Ghiefs supporter I DO NOW WANT HIM AT SANDY PARK.

You can have him.

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

Da' nzho!
Pawel Vygot.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 20:01
I'd be glad to have him here, but if Rugbyinsideline is the best source at the moment, I wont hold my breath.

harristocratt (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 20:42
The should just be happy that they didn't scratch a cricket ball with a piece of sandpaper.

If we sign him here is one less season ticket holder even with us still in Reading.

They were not guilty of rape but their behaviour and their bragging about it were disgusting.

No thank you.

Florida (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 20:52
Quote:
Margin_Walker
I'd be glad to have him here, but if Rugbyinsideline is the best source at the moment, I wont hold my breath.

Yeah, RIL are very hit and miss. Will be interesting to see where they both end up.

14 April, 2018 21:13
Quote:
harristocratt
The should just be happy that they didn't scratch a cricket ball with a piece of sandpaper.
If we sign him here is one less season ticket holder even with us still in Reading.

They were not guilty of rape but their behaviour and their bragging about it were disgusting.

No thank you.

I think Jackson's paid a fairly high price for the content of a few private messages and certainly not defending them. He'll likely have had plenty of time to reflect on his behaviour whilst this has been waiting to come to trial.

That said, I'd bet that plenty of the content of private whatsapp group chats amongst pro rugby teams wouldn't look great if held up to scrutiny. James Haskell for example seems to have spent his formative years filming his mate and a girl from a camera hidden in a wardrobe (and sharing the video with their mates) and the stigma didn't follow him around. Topsy Ojo even had an accusation of sexual misconduct against him in New Zealand in 2008 which didn't do him too much harm other than curtailing his England career.

14 April, 2018 21:21
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Yeah, RIL are very hit and miss. Will be interesting to see where they both end up.

Find that Twitter account to have probably 40% content sourced from other publications and message boards without citing the source, 40% complete rubbish made up on the spot and 20% stuff of genuine interest.

cjm. (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 21:22
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
harristocratt

No thank you.

I think Jackson's paid a fairly high price for the content of a few private messages and certainly not defending them. He'll likely have had plenty of time to reflect on his behaviour whilst this has been waiting to come to trial.

That said, I'd bet that plenty of the content of private whatsapp group chats amongst pro rugby teams wouldn't look great if held up to scrutiny. James Haskell for example seems to have spent his formative years filming his mate and a girl from a camera hidden in a wardrobe (and sharing the video with their mates) and the stigma didn't follow him around. Topsy Ojo even had an accusation of sexual misconduct against him in New Zealand in 2008 which didn't do him too much harm other than curtailing his England career.

We live in different times. Scarily different TBH. If you get caught now the court of public opinion is very harsh unless your an NFL or baseball player it seems.

Florida (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 21:31
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Find that Twitter account to have probably 40% content sourced from other publications and message boards without citing the source, 40% complete rubbish made up on the spot and 20% stuff of genuine interest.

Sounds about right. I wouldn't be surprised if this message board is the source of their paddy Jackson rumour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2018 22:07 by Florida.

GHA (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 21:45
Maybe he follows us on twatter

PV (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 06:34
Quote:
harristocratt

No thank you.

If we’re all truly honest, there’s information sent in private that we wouldn’t want ezposed in the public domain. They’ve been acquitted of any crime and had the best part of 2 years of their prime playing days out of the game.

That for me is enough punishment and whilst I’m indifferent about whether they were to join our club or not, I think all should be allowed to move on.

Dermot66 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 09:12
I have always seen our club as a large family with lots of families attending. Taking either of these 2 players on would not sit well with that image and would upset quite a large section of our supporters. They may have been found not guilty but their behaviour as has been mentioned above leaves a lot to be desired.

HMRH (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 07:19
The Times today says Jackson talking to LI, La Rochelle and Clermont. States he has a legal bill of £500k so biggest bidder may win “irrespective of whether they are in the Championship or the Premiership”

16 April, 2018 12:43
While I don't want him if, as a championship club we can offer a better deal than Claremont or La Rochelle we are in a better financial situation than anybody realised.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 12:52
I guess it depends on whether the coaches feel gaining him is of equal value to the loss of franks, lewi, Williams and big job for a season. With all those lads gone, and Cowan probably off as well. There should be around 1.5 milllion extra in the pot. Not to mention a few others who are probably off as well. Assuming Hearn and tiks and Steele are going. Replace some of them with academy and we’ll have some cash to spend. Ideally of botha and piet.

AlecW (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:23
Edited per request.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2018 19:35 by AlecW.

GHA (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:33
Quote:
harristocratt
While I don't want him if, as a championship club we can offer a better deal than Claremont or La Rochelle we are in a better financial situation than anybody realised.

This is what I've been trying to tell everyone! winking smiley

tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 10:11
Maybe we can't afford them.

I feel uncomfortable with the judgement on them from private conversation. Everyone and anyone who has said how abhorrent it is (which it is pretty distasteful). If every message / conversations / drunken boast as a young man / catty conversation as a young Lady from the entirety of your life was laid out in front of the public for general consumption. I think we could easily be saying the same thing about anyone here.

They are NOT rapists. They are only guilty of some distasteful private messages after what has been deemed consentual adult sexual behaviour... of a less conservative kind...

PV (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 10:52
Quote:
tatthecraic2
Maybe we can't afford them.
I feel uncomfortable with the judgement on them from private conversation. Everyone and anyone who has said how abhorrent it is (which it is pretty distasteful). If every message / conversations / drunken boast as a young man / catty conversation as a young Lady from the entirety of your life was laid out in front of the public for general consumption. I think we could easily be saying the same thing about anyone here.

They are NOT rapists. They are only guilty of some distasteful private messages after what has been deemed consentual adult sexual behaviour... of a less conservative kind...

Exactly. Had they not been accused of rape then this would never have been exposed. They were found unanimously not guilty and now continue to be vilified. Quite a bit of hypocrisy going on as well, that doesn’t rest well with me...

17 April, 2018 10:55
IF the dog hadn't stopped for a p**p he would have caught the rabbit as the saying goes.

jekyll (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 20:34
Both of them are pure class and just happen to be Irish. Having them at Irish would send out a message that we are serious about coming back up into the premiership and staying there.
They get my vote

nimblehippo (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 12:54
Might be perfect for all involved - year out of limelight in the championship for the players - we buy low on two (still youngish) talents. Their disgusting chat doesn't surprise me in the slightest as similar happens all over on a regular basis, and many others subjected to the same level of scrutiny would come out far worse. Having to go through the process of the trial, be found not guilty and then sacked anyway seems pretty wrong to me - especially when Gillroy was more involved in the messages than Jackson seemed to be. Its similar to Folau case, with Sponsors putting pressure on administrators to make sure players don't do anything that might offend anybody.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 13:29
It all may seem a bit of a hypocracy, but this is the world we live in, if you are a high profile professional sportsman, how hard can it be to keep your stupid beliefs or comments to yourself and not put it on social media where it can last for ever and will stay with you forever, or if asked a tricky question about your stupid beliefs, not to comment, the problem is if you work for a company that is relying on public and corporate relationships as well as results you will be judged, Keep it to yourself until no one is that interested.
I would not care if they came to us or not, they are good players but would not be here if not for their tarnished reputations as human beings, they might find that a lot harder to deal with than they think, but then again apparently this type of behaviour is quite acceptable to others.

19 April, 2018 14:03
WhatsApp isn't social media

Unflattering and problematic as they were, these were private encrypted messages between friends that are only in the public domain as a result of a trial.

Mark W-J (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 14:08
Technically it wasn't on social media. They didn't post it on Twitter or Facebook - it was on What'sApp, which should be as private as texting.

There are things that I would text to my friends that I would never post on a message board such as this. But then my text messages should be private, and I wouldn't expect them to be printed on the front page of national newspapers. I would imagine that there are an awful lot of groups of 'lads' in their 20s - City boys and sportsmen undoubtedly among them - who view much stuff as 'banter' amongst themselves, but safe in the knowledge that their parents and employers would never read it. And for me, that's where this becomes a grey area - when private conversations are made public, and views/ opinions/ comments that would never be made outside of that private area are suddenly out there in the public arena.

[Edit: wish I'd put it as succinctly as Margin Walker]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2018 14:10 by Mark W-J.

PV (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 15:44
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Unflattering and problematic as they were, these were private encrypted messages between friends that are only in the public domain as a result of a trial.

Hear hear! He who casts the first stone....

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 15:53
Quote:
PV
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Hear hear! He who casts the first stone....

But all I said was "Jehovah"!

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 18:12
Quote:
Margin_Walker

That's true but it did become a type of media that was private and then became public if you want to put it that way, just like working for the US government and having a private email account that will one day be comprised, these messages last for ever even the self erase ones can be screen shots.
But like I say I'm ambivalent about them.
Jehovah! Jehovah! Jehovah!

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 07:42
[quote LI Bohemian][quote Margin_Walker]Jehovah! Jehovah! Jehovah![/quote]

You'll just make it worse for yourself...

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net