rugbyunion
Latest News:

Disappointing crowd
16 April, 2018 08:13
Taking into account that it was a crunch game and that everyone who wanted a ticket could have one for free and that we were on the up following a 5 point win over Quins I expected more people. This tells you that this is as far as we can go in Reading, it is not a great marketplace for rugby. I know we will lose a few supporters when we leave Reading (especially if we are the new yo-yo team), but it is time to go if we want to grow our support base.

(Sm159)

Re: Disappointing crowd
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 08:16
It was disappointing. The chiefs were louder in voice. I bearly heard our fans.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 08:24
I do find this all frustrating. The location is irrelevant! To grow the support there is only one solution have a competitive team and an attractive product.
Look at how many Exeter fans were there. Would that be the case had they been languishing at the bottom? I doubt it.

I would love LI to remain at the Madstad being one of the Reading 4 but I enjoy watching them and attractive rugby even if for the most part the attractive play was from the team in white. Get the team sorted out and dont blame the location. That is not the product!

plzd (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 08:36
have you been to London recently?

There are very few British people left in the place. Going to Brentford will not get big crowds.

cjm. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 10:09
Do I have to repeat facts about Ealing Trailfinder crowds. If anything Reading is easier to reach from West London than West London is from most places in London.

If the BS era had continued until the local support was firmly established we would have better crowds than most of the other premiership teams. The opportunity was somehow squandered and the local support all but lost.

Unfortunately rugby has a higher barrier to enjoyment for most people when compared to football so building a presence is difficult.

waltham (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 10:24
We were also very surprised at just how many empty STH seats there seemed to be around us. They "must" be STH seats as they are not available to book..
Where to potentially play next season?
Well, even though (as with fatlad above) we'd prefer Irish to stay "over here" - it looks like they will end up in London - So, why not move there next season and start building local support/

How about a ground share with London Welsh? - It's a 3000 capacity stadium (although I'm pretty sure the Council have been positively looking at significant expansion prior to LW's pro-team going under).

IMO, "if suitable expansion were possible at Old Deer Park then this just potentially could suit Irish on a more permanent basis.

I'm sure Mark-W can illuminate further and on the possibility than an LI-Exiles presence would attract other local "Exiles".

If Richmond and Scottish can share - then so could we with the LW-Amateur club.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 10:56
I'm not sure that you could really describe Old Deer Park as a 3000 capacity 'stadium'. There's an indication in the word 'Park' as to its true nature.

echidna (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:11
Quote:
plzd
There are very few British people left in the place

So our tame Quins-supporting troll is racist as well?

16 April, 2018 11:31
Quote:
echidna
Quote:
plzd
There are very few British people left in the place

So our tame Quins-supporting troll is racist as well?

You don't have to be British (or Irish) to support London Irish. I am a true example of that.

Greenboots (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 12:40
In my eyes it is not to do with location. It is to do with our position. Moving back to London will not create these full stadiums being back up higher in the league will. The St Patrick's day game is marketed hugely whilst this weekend was not.

If anything London will cause us to lose fans and why would you go see Irish over say quins as a new fan? Or if we go down say Ealing? London is so full whilst the Thames Valley has little to no competition for rival clubs. We should have set permanent roots like Saracens or wasps. However unfortunately budget did not allow

Steelman (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 14:52
Wots to stop us playing in front of 3000 at Haslewood next season ? Oh apart from a loosing team!

Xprop (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:32
Quote:
Steelman
Wots to stop us playing in front of 3000 at Haslewood next season ? Oh apart from a loosing team!

A contract with the Madstad owners.

Finno (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:19
Quote:
Xprop
Quote:
Steelman

A contract with the Madstad owners.

it wouldn't surprise me if the Sarries game is the last we play at the MadStad! We're going to get relegated and I'm sure I read somewhere that relegation allows a break clause to be invoked.

Should that be the case, it wouldn't surprise me if we rented somewhere cheap(to save the pennies) until the final destination, Brentford or wherever is ready.

One thing is certain though...the MadStad days are numbered!

Cornish boy (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:26
To be honest, the best thing to do is just move as soon as possible.

The club has been telling people for the last two years that they didn't value the local support and that there was a much brighter future back in London.

I for one are not surprised that numbers are poor. It is a case of reap what you sow.

M51 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:52
Negotiate a new deal with Reading and drop the London bit in the name. This will do for me as I fear that I will not commute to Brentford for rugby. This is my view and my loss. I will miss the Irish atmosphere and the connection with Irish but Life goes on. I like others are in a turmoil about our team. The trip to Brentford will keep us away from the London commute and I and my wife will end up being armchair supporters. Hey ho (pass me a tissue). Looking forward to a return trips to Jersey, Penzance etc. next year.
PS not expecting a winning result against Sarries.

LLL (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:29
Quote:
Cornish boy
To be honest, the best thing to do is just move as soon as possible.
The club has been telling people for the last two years that they didn't value the local support and that there was a much brighter future back in London.

I for one are not surprised that numbers are poor. It is a case of reap what you sow.

Ouch but agree.

What was sown was a deal to rent the madstad that could never have worked.

Aa545 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:21
Quote:
M51
Negotiate a new deal with Reading and drop the London bit in the name..
Not sure just calling the team Irish will help increase crowds when the majority who go are English. Probably attract a bigger crowd if the Irish part was dropped.

cjm. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:39
Quote:
Aa545
Quote:
M51
Negotiate a new deal with Reading and drop the London bit in the name..
Not sure just calling the team Irish will help increase crowds when the majority who go are English. Probably attract a bigger crowd if the Irish part was dropped.

If they were to commit to Reading then I could go with Reading Exiles. The NotNot claim is not without some truth. If you commit, have a name the the local community can get behind while still including those who are exiled.

The Exiles bit could quite happily by an umbrella for Scots, Irish, Welsh, Ozzie, SA, Pacific Islander etc.

Whether someone is prepared to take the gamble of losing some core Irish support for a greater local support is the big question. Be a good time though when the support has dwindled so much anyway. What's to lose?

echidna (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 23:08
Quote:
cjm
What's to lose?

120 years of history?

Aa545 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:24
Quote:
echidna
Quote:
cjm
What's to lose?

120 years of history?
Didn’t seem to matter when we took over Richmond and London Scottish, I said before a new club should have been formed called London Exiles when we took over Scottish and we should have merged with Welsh at the same time.
Actually think the Reading Exiles wouldn’t be a bad idea, apart from we still wouldn’t make money from food sales etc.

Bill the chip (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:34
Was at the A league game in Bristol last night, and at their Clifton rfc training ground and just walking around the club you can feel a massive dissapointment, mainly that they feel they’ve lost the badge and it’s history

Mark W-J (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:37
Quote:
waltham
How about a ground share with London Welsh? - It's a 3000 capacity stadium (although I'm pretty sure the Council have been positively looking at significant expansion prior to LW's pro-team going under).
IMO, "if suitable expansion were possible at Old Deer Park then this just potentially could suit Irish on a more permanent basis.

I'm sure Mark-W can illuminate further and on the possibility than an LI-Exiles presence would attract other local "Exiles".

If Richmond and Scottish can share - then so could we with the LW-Amateur club.

I'm not sure that we're in a position to sub-let under the terms of the existing lease, but even so, I think that moving to ODP would be an admission of defeat for you. It has been suggested in the past that we could add temporary stands to bring the capacity up to around 7k, but as it's Crown land I'm not convinced that planning permission would be forthcoming.

We have had temporary structures behind the posts at different times in the last 15 years - supporters sitting in the one at the Kew Gardens end were unable to see the action because the sun was blinding them, and the one at the Richmond end meant that there was no daylight getting to the pitch and the in-goal area was frozen solid for three months.

cjm. (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 08:01
Quote:
echidna
Quote:
cjm
What's to lose?

120 years of history?

The name change could be viewed as just part if it's history. These things sometimes need to happen to move forward.

RodB (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 08:10
What was the score in the A league game, Bill?

plzd (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 08:12
"So our tame Quins-supporting troll is racist as well?"

Grow up I am married to a girl who is not British. Look at the the demographics they are all on the ONS.

17 April, 2018 09:50
We have been at the Madjeski for 18 years now. Great stadium, great facilities and very cheap for Irish to rent. In 18 years we have tried to engage the locals into supporting the club and it was going ok until 2 things happened more or less at the same time: a drop in performance/results and the economic crisis. Since then we haven't gone anywhere near the usual average crowds of over 10k. Last week not even giving tickets away for free we could get to 10k. That tells me that we have done ok, but we will never be able to sustain a professional top team we can't stay in Reading. We have seen the recent example of Wasps. They dropped London from their name, moved 80 miles away angering all their loyal supporters, but look at them now. I would love it for us to be successful in Reading, but it is just not happening.

Aa545 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:04
If marketed the right way Reading would have worked , even now you have more people travelling from Portsmouth, Guildford, Havant as you would gain from moving back to London IMO.
Not surprising locals have been put off with the constant calls to move , overcharging in rent etc.

jhnnyi (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:47
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
echidna
Quote:
cjm
What's to lose?

120 years of history?

The name change could be viewed as just part if it's history. These things sometimes need to happen to move forward.

And what about when we move to Brentford or Wimbledon? Would you change it again?

Kildysart (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:50
Thames (Valley) Exiles anybody?

jhnnyi (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:55
Quote:
Aa545
Quote:
echidna
Quote:
cjm
What's to lose?

120 years of history?
Didn’t seem to matter when we took over Richmond and London Scottish, I said before a new club should have been formed called London Exiles when we took over Scottish and we should have merged with Welsh at the same time.
Actually think the Reading Exiles wouldn’t be a bad idea, apart from we still wouldn’t make money from food sales etc.

Have we ever looked at becoming the London franchise of the PRO14? No relegation, quality opponents, expanding league, great away trips, different competition so reduces overlap with Quins, Ealing and whoever else is on their way up. What's not to like?

cjm. (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:37
Quote:
jhnnyi
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
echidna
Quote:
cjm
What's to lose?

120 years of history?

And what about when we move to Brentford or Wimbledon? Would you change it again?

As I said in the original message "If we commit to Reading". If there ends up being a problem just drop the "Reading" bit but keep "Exiles". It's quite an itinerant label.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net