rugbyunion
Latest News:

Joe to be loaned to Bath
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 11:00
Report by Chris Jones on ESPN that he will go on a season long loan.

That would be a pretty decent result if true. He gets to press his England claims prior to the RWC and we don't lose him long term, in the event that we do bounce back up.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
HMRH (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 11:08
Ah - contracts are contracts which is good to see and also a sensible solution although would have preferred him to stay with Irish

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Anonymous User (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 11:20
Probably second best option for us, but great news that we're not losing him long term. Hopefully Nalaga can fill his role in the championship

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
GHA (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 11:20
Hope we have an option to recall if he isn't getting game time over there. I also hope he doesn't get too comfortable.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
jimbo800 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 11:22
They finally read all my posts!!!!

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Paul_D (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 11:29
Quote:
Florida
Probably second best option for us, but great news that we're not losing him long term. Hopefully Nalaga can fill his role in the championship

He had further surgery on the arm he broke this week. Really hoping that he makes a full recovery in time for next season.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Meb4568 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 11:35
If confirmed this is good news for us, Joe and Bath. Not realistic to hold onto everyone whilst in Championship... but this compromise keeps us in the game - must bounce back tho!

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Anonymous User (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 11:38
Quote:
jimbo800
They finally read all my posts!!!!

They certainly did, well done for calling it. Hopefully they'll be keeping in touch and bring him in for training days on occasion etx

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Rroooo (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 12:27
A very good move for both parties. He will get more experience and as long as we get back up we will have a much better player returning to us. Didnt do Newcastle any harm doing it this way.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Shawshank (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 12:31
9. Allinson
10. ??
11. Joe
12. JJ
13. Garvey (poetic licence)
14. Watson
15. Homer

So will it be TBC, Marshall or Tonksy down the M4 next?

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
GHA (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 13:58
Banahan

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
PV (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 14:35
Why to Bath, theyíre going nowhere.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Anonymous User (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 14:43
Quote:
GHA
Banahan

Won't be at Bath next season.
There is still Lahiff and Stooke there though

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
simo112 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 15:03
Quote:
Shawshank
9. Allinson
10. ??
11. Joe
12. JJ
13. Garvey (poetic licence)
14. Watson
15. Homer

So will it be TBC, Marshall or Tonksy down the M4 next?



Technically they have Hopkinson who can play 10 that used to be in our academy so completes your back line.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Rroooo (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 15:05
They pay well !!

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 15:07
the "world class training facilities" they have... oh wait

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
plzd (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 10:35
Quote:
PV
Why to Bath, theyíre going nowhere.

and we are!

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 11:00
Quote:
plzd
Quote:
PV
Why to Bath, theyíre going nowhere.

and we are!

Nor are Quins, lol.



I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
waltham (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 21:00
How exactly is Hazelwood "world class"? Its an honest question and not sarcastic. Isn't it a rather cramped mix of office and training facilities? Sure - fantastic variety of pitches...I get that; and a top notch, modern gym. So what else does it have that makes it world class??...Genuine question.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
jimbo800 (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 21:20
I think it relates to when you compare it to other rugby training facilities. Probably one of the top ones in the prem

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 09:34
TRP says deal is set to be announced soon. It did mention the loan deal rumoured this week.



I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
LLL (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 09:51
Letís be honest. Youíd take a 50% pay cut to play for Bath. Stunning place, stunning ground, packed out stadium.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
jimbo800 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 10:21
Quote:
LLL
Letís be honest. Youíd take a 50% pay cut to play for Bath. Stunning place, stunning ground, packed out stadium.

Heís 21, not 50. As a youngster, Bath gets boring very quickly. In the summer itís lovely, not so much in the winter

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
LLL (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 08:48
Quote:
jimbo800
Quote:
LLL
Letís be honest. Youíd take a 50% pay cut to play for Bath. Stunning place, stunning ground, packed out stadium.

Heís 21, not 50. As a youngster, Bath gets boring very quickly. In the summer itís lovely, not so much in the winter

The masses that made the move from the 90% empty madstad are missing out then jimbo!

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
jimbo800 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 09:21
Quote:
LLL
Quote:
jimbo800
Quote:
LLL
Letís be honest. Youíd take a 50% pay cut to play for Bath. Stunning place, stunning ground, packed out stadium.

Heís 21, not 50. As a youngster, Bath gets boring very quickly. In the summer itís lovely, not so much in the winter

The masses that made the move from the 90% empty madstad are missing out then jimbo!

Theyíve all got each other to keep themselves entertained

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 13:52
Quote:
Jamiepep1
the "world class training facilities" they have... oh wait

Farleigh House is pretty well equipped these days (as well as being a generally nice place to spend time).

[www.bartonwillmore.co.uk]

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 15:02
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Jamiepep1
the "world class training facilities" they have... oh wait

Farleigh House is pretty well equipped these days (as well as being a generally nice place to spend time).

[www.bartonwillmore.co.uk]

I was joking that Hazelwood is constantly touted as world class so why would he want to leave

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 22:08
Just announced in the Mail that Joe is off to Bath on a 3 year contract worth 700k over the 3 years

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
olw131 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 22:32
Quote:
Lincs-Exile
Just announced in the Mail that Joe is off to Bath on a 3 year contract worth 700k over the 3 years

I think I might be sick

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
cjm. (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 22:37
LInk to it

Can't really expect to keep anyone of that potential given our sorry situation. Annoying that we are so good at developing talent for others to benefit. Perhaps some sort of tithing on their future earnings should be included in any academy contracts.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 22:59
To be honest it may actually be worth shutting down the entire academy structure given that we get a maximum of two good years out of any prospects before they move. The not insubstantial savings (500k+) could then be ploughed into spending more on players to keep us up. It may also be a wake-up call to the RFU that there needs to be a way of compensating clubs for having good academies.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
PV (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 22:59
Is the Mail tho

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Anonymous User (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 23:08
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
To be honest it may actually be worth shutting down the entire academy structure given that we get a maximum of two good years out of any prospects before they move. The not insubstantial savings (500k+) could then be ploughed into spending more on players to keep us up. It may also be a wake-up call to the RFU that there needs to be a way of compensating clubs for having good academies.

Was just thinking the same thing (if it's true). Would love to know the amount of money we're pumping into the academy each year.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
jimbo800 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 23:13
Quote:
PV
Is the Mail tho

Unfortunately itís the report I believe out of all them. The rest have all sounded like rumours. This looks like theyíve actually done their research and itís timing is spot on. Hardly likely to say he wants out just before they play Bath.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Meb4568 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 07:37
The article certainly appears credible and well researched. Bummer if true... I thought Joe on loan was the best piece of LI news iíd heard in months...

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 07:44
Ah well. Guess we're back to where we were a few weeks ago if true

The annoying thing is that it's not like a few years ago where these young players were jumping ship because of poor facilities (sorry!), under-investment in backroom staff, poor morale etc. They would actually stay if we weren't getting relegated every other season. Just makes it so hard to build a squad with a home grown identity. Hopefully it doesn't go too much deeper than Johnny and Joe

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Anonymous User (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 09:02
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Ah well. Guess we're back to where we were a few weeks ago if true
The annoying thing is that it's not like a few years ago where these young players were jumping ship because of poor facilities (sorry!), under-investment in backroom staff, poor morale etc. They would actually stay if we weren't getting relegated every other season. Just makes it so hard to build a squad with a home grown identity. Hopefully it doesn't go too much deeper than Johnny and Joe

#FutureStartsNow ?

I don't normally mind our hashtags, but that one I find quite annoying considering we've not yet announced out leavers.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Bazzo (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 12:10
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Ah well. Guess we're back to where we were a few weeks ago if true
The annoying thing is that it's not like a few years ago where these young players were jumping ship because of poor facilities (sorry!), under-investment in backroom staff, poor morale etc. They would actually stay if we weren't getting relegated every other season. Just makes it so hard to build a squad with a home grown identity. Hopefully it doesn't go too much deeper than Johnny and Joe

#FutureStartsNow ?

I don't normally mind our hashtags, but that one I find quite annoying considering we've not yet announced out leavers.

Funny I was thinking the same thing. Future starts now....... really? it's condescending to say that. Thought that was when we had new ownership got rid of Smith and brought in Coventry, then it was relegation and Kennedy been given the reigns (Stronger together), until we were not........ stronger together. More like #BackTothefuture

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
x_ile (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 16:25
Didn't Bath actually hoover up half of a pretty successful LI a few years ago and effectively wreck LI's future?

It would seem, contrary to what is often claimed, that success is not a particularly strong motivation for players. Money, on the other hand ......

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 16:29
Quote:
x_ile
Didn't Bath actually hoover up half of a pretty successful LI a few years ago and effectively wreck LI's future?
It would seem, contrary to what is often claimed, that success is not a particularly strong motivation for players. Money, on the other hand ......

If we had somehow not lost the entire academy structure our team in two years(in particular the back-line) could have be up there as the greatest homegrown side in history.

9. Brand
10. TBC
11. Loader
12. JJ
13. Williams
14. Cokanasiga
15. Watson

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 17:05
Barf announcement of Joe signing.

[www.bathrugby.com]



I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 17:35
He never once mentioned how much he would miss the training facilities...ungrateful so and so



Live in West Wales, work in England, supporting Scotland and London Irish

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
malco (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:20
Not trying to rub salt into raw wounds but I was wondering if Joe has ever played anywhere other than right wing for you. Rokoduguni is a specialist right wing - he has never played anywhere else for Bath. Banahan was a specialist left wing who played in other positions when needed. Whenever I've seen Joe play he has been wearing 14 and played on the right. Has he played on the left at all?

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
jimbo800 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:25
Quote:
malco
Not trying to rub salt into raw wounds but I was wondering if Joe has ever played anywhere other than right wing for you. Rokoduguni is a specialist right wing - he has never played anywhere else for Bath. Banahan was a specialist left wing who played in other positions when needed. Whenever I've seen Joe play he has been wearing 14 and played on the right. Has he played on the left at all?

We donít know, he wasnít with us long enough to find out.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
SirBurger (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 16:37
He did play a few games on the left in our championship season once Lewington was back. The reason I remember this was that I remember noticing how much better he looked on the right. I think thatís why this season Lewington wore 11 and he wore 14.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Florida (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 17:08
I wonder what would happen if bath were relegated next season...

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Griff (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 17:35
They've talked on the EggChasers Rugby Podcast a bit about something our old friend JP Doyle mentioned. Apparently the team the qualifies for the ECC from the Premiership in 6th place often performs poorly the following year - the theory is that qualifying as the lowest Prem team means you get a really tough group and then get all your players crocked by the pool stages... I wonder if there's any truth in it...

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 19:28
Quote:
Florida
I wonder what would happen if bath were relegated next season...

I would laugh.



I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
bigbitty (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 19:30
Let's get back up first, or we'll be playing against them!

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Florida (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 19:53
Quote:
bigbitty
Let's get back up first, or we'll be playing against them!

BB, I can multitask... I can hope for our promotion and their relegation at the same time grinning smiley

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 23:09
I for one would be devastated if Bath got relegated. Ah no, wait, wrong d-word. Iíd be absolutely bloody delighted. Doubly so if that odious Craig chose that moment to pull out of holding up that club.

 
Re: Joe to be loaned to Bath
Steelman (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 06:15
Quote:
malco
Not trying to rub salt into raw wounds but I was wondering if Joe has ever played anywhere other than right wing for you. Rokoduguni is a specialist right wing - he has never played anywhere else for Bath. Banahan was a specialist left wing who played in other positions when needed. Whenever I've seen Joe play he has been wearing 14 and played on the right. Has he played on the left at all?


Seems a bit unlikely to me that you can start them in the same team.Whilst they are both supremely talented attackers they both seem slow to spot danger as defenders ie they are crucially out of position at times,and Joe seems uncomfortable under the high ball.But Maybe good coaching will solve these weaknesses,if not you've just blown a big lump of your salary cap, ha ! now Loader ,he would probably suit you better.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?