rugbyunion
Latest News:

Leavers
Anonymous User (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:25
Josh Basham, Arno Botha, Joe Cokanasiga, Darren Dawidiuk, Ben Franks, Todd Gleave, Alex Lewington, Will Lloyd, Lasha Lomidze, James Marshall, Senitiki Nayalo, David Paice (retired), Richard Palframan, Tom Smallbone, Aseli Tikoirotuma, Johnny Williams, Tom Woolstencroft, Piet van Zyl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2018 11:06 by Florida.

Re: Leavers
PV (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:28
Is that factual.

If so that's a lot of top class talent going out the door....

Specifically

Arno
Piet
Franks
Lewington
Marshall

Basically the spine of the team.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:30
I guess Marshall is the only slight surprise there.

Assume Tiks and Hearn are still in contract. Has the latter been injured this year?

Real shame for Tom Smallbone.

09 May, 2018 08:33
Quote:
PV
Is that factual.

Specifically

Arno
Piet
Franks
Lewington
Marshall

It's from the offy, right at the bottom of the "we held our black tie nonsense"

[www.london-irish.com]

09 May, 2018 08:34
Quote:
Margin_Walker
I guess Marshall is the only slight surprise there.
Assume Tiks and Hearn are still in contract. Has the latter been injured this year?

Real shame for Tom Smallbone.

I recall seeing some pics of hearn laid up in a hospital bed

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:37
Didnít quite get rid of as much of the dead wood as Iíd have liked. Tiks and Hearn wonít make us any better next year. Some of her must have been allowed to get other contracts. Iíd have thought Lasha would have been on a two year deal and Marshall a three year deal

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:39
Worse than the last time we went down...

biggest losses are Lewi, Joe & williams the guys that you could build a team around. The rest IMO haven't been massively consistent. Franks has put in real shifts but hasn't set the world on fire.

Yes Piet and Arno have both been good but lets be honest have only played 5 games max? 3 i think for Botha.

Most of those we haven't seen play for months or possibly years?

HMRH (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:40
7 starters going and we need to replace the 2 SA players most of all as our go forward just went!

09 May, 2018 08:40
I know people had high hopes for Lasha, but personally didn't see anything to suggest he was going to make an impact.

PV (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:43
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
PV
Is that factual.

Specifically

Arno
Piet
Franks
Lewington
Marshall

It's from the offy, right at the bottom of the "we held our black tie nonsense"

[www.london-irish.com]

Almost as if they wanted to hide the bad news, hope no one would get to the bottom of the article...

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:47
I thought i heard a rumour that Topsy was hanging up his boots as well. Obviously not?

PV (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:52
I wonder how much budget that frees up? Or the more negative angle - how much cost it'll save.

At a guess - 1.2m

cjm. (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:58
Well on the plus side we shall hopefully see some exciting names coming through or coming in as the side as a whole hasn't worked at all.

Just wish the SA duo could have been saved in exchange for 3 or 4 of the well-known but underperforming ones.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 09:03
Leaves a possible backline of
10. Myler
11. Ojo
12. TBC
13. Fowlie
14. Loader
15. Parton

They threw out contracts to fellas who really didnít do an awful lot to earn them, just to stop the squad from disappearing. Tonks, Hearn, mckibbin, tiks. We would be no weaker if they all went. I highly doubt theyíll get much game time, even in the championship.

In the forwards thereís a decent core there of
1, DHA
2. Porecki
3. Elrington
4, McNally
5. FVDM
6. Basham/Coman
7. Cowan/Green
8. Trev/Curtis Harris

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 09:06
Recruits needed
Winger - losing two quality wingers. Were we rumoured to be after an ospreys winger?
Two centres
A big 8
Second row, very light in that area.
Hooker - weíve lost four hookers in one hit.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 09:08
Bit concerned this means the likes of Tiks, hearn, steele, mckibben, meehan, mclean and saulo are all staying. We've not seen these guys hardly at all and when we have they haven't been great. I know we need to keep the core of a squad together etc. but i'd trade 3 of them to keep one top class leaver.

P.S. someone has also updated the wikipedia page already if you want to look at the squad as it stands.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 09:11
It wasnít too bad when we had four competitions to play in, we could get everyone game time. Now weíve got very little in terms of match play to get some of these guys earning their cash. Would like to see Nalaga get some proper game time this season.

09 May, 2018 09:15
Just realised Reid is staying. Hopefully he stays injury free, as he could definitely make an impact at that level. In fact we are pretty set at loosehead with three decent options.

Finno (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 09:31
When you first look at the list, it looks bad, but on a little reflection there is about 1/2 a team that could hold their own in the Premiership(where we need to be measuring ourselves against). The rest are squad players.

The key now is clever recruitment of 6/7 Premiership quality players and nurture the excellent young talent we still have! Big ask....but that's what's needed, if we are really serious about coming back stronger than the bunch that got us relegated this year!

6wfacer (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 09:31
Quote:
jimbo800
Leaves a possible backline of
10. Myler
11. Ojo
12. TBC
13. Fowlie
14. Loader
15. Parton

I could be wrong, but isnít Tommy Bell still under contract? I havenít seen his name in the list of leavers

PV (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 09:42
He is, but has a relatively long term injury. I'd keep Tonks....

aah Bisto (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:09
Can't see ransom on the leavers list and I really hope he sees more game time next season. Also glad that Reid, Faiinga, Cowan and Coman are not amongst the leavers.

RodB (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:11
Tiks IS leaving according to the offy announcement

Paul_D (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:15
They've edited it since it was first posted. Tiks and Josh Basham added to the list

09 May, 2018 10:16
They've changed it.

Basham also listed as a leaver...

DMGM (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:16
Quote:
Finno
When you first look at the list, it looks bad, but on a little reflection there is about 1/2 a team that could hold their own in the Premiership(where we need to be measuring ourselves against). The rest are squad players.
The key now is clever recruitment of 6/7 Premiership quality players and nurture the excellent young talent we still have! Big ask....but that's what's needed, if we are really serious about coming back stronger than the bunch that got us relegated this year!
The problem is the ones we lost were the ones who allowed us to hold our own in the prem, finding and bringing in or developing those to get to that level and will be very difficult in the space of a year

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:23
Quote:
Margin_Walker
They've changed it.
Basham also listed as a leaver...

Cracking, our three best academy talents leaving. We should seriously pack it up as we are getting no benefit from it.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:23
FFS Basham as well? They need to start making some seriously eye catching signings

cjm. (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:24
Wonder if they'll be editing it again.

I am actually pleased that Tiks is gone. He may have been ok once but I really haven't seen much that impressed me. Hearn may have been out for a while but at least I do remember him being fairly good at one point.

I suspect that we will have 2 or 3 players of proven premiership quality in the end. I hope Reid stays and stays fit.

09 May, 2018 10:25
Basham leaving is really annoying. Interesting to see who tempted him away

Only just turned 19.

plzd (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:29
[quote Finno]When you first look at the list, it looks bad, but on a little reflection there is about 1/2 a team that could hold their own in the Premiership(where we need to be measuring ourselves against). The rest are squad players.

We did not hold our own in the Prem sadly

Finno (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:31
Quote:
Paul_D
They've edited it since it was first posted. Tiks and Josh Basham added to the list

this is so poor and unprofessional from the club, poor communication at its worst! Does anything get proof read ? Is this an interim list? Please tell us if it is! Do we have to keep returning to this article to see if any others have been added!

The one piece of accurate information all of us want, and they fail miserably. Who knows who else is going!!!,

PV (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:31
How can they issue in such a sh*t way and then donít even get that right. Death by a thousand cuts.....

Anyone else leaving???

Finno (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:33
[quote plzd][quote Finno]When you first look at the list, it looks bad, but on a little reflection there is about 1/2 a team that could hold their own in the Premiership(where we need to be measuring ourselves against). The rest are squad players.

We did not hold our own in the Prem sadly[/quote]

Did the double over Quins though!!!

PV (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:42
Iíve even tweeted them, thatís saying something

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 11:09
This is LI all over, no matter what they try to do, that level of unprofessional always creeps in. Iím actually most annoyed about Basham because we produce so few decent forwards. Loader is watching this unfold, seeing his previous school team mates leave, heíll be next Iíd imagine. THis club is so frustrating.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 11:24
Yes, it's the players leaving with most potential that hurt the most. Basham very annoying as he has been getting a lot of gametime lately. Obviously he didn't have faith in the long term plan which is what worries me the most.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 11:35
Yep, Basham is annoying but I guess he thought that he will still be way down the pecking order in the back-row, which is about our one area of relative strength.

And I suspect that if Curtis-Harris had not been injured in Jan then he rather than Basham would have got those AP run-outs.

At centre the cupboard is very bare.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 11:39
I struggle to see where Curtis Harris will have an impact. From the pictures he looks quite small considering his preferred position is 8.

09 May, 2018 11:40
Guessing Smallbone's not retiring now, given the updated version no longer has him doing so?

Good luck to him if that's the case and hope he gets another shot somewhere.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 12:17
Quote:
jimbo800
I struggle to see where Curtis Harris will have an impact. From the pictures he looks quite small considering his preferred position is 8.

He's about the same size as Sam Simmonds.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 12:22
Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
jimbo800

He's about the same size as Sam Simmonds.

Well Iíll be damned. Great 👍

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:09
You know this almost reminds me of the time when Hattley was booted out and all the good young talent had no mentor to tie them to the club, almost.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:15
Hatley, sorry, it was so long ago we make the same mistake again.

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:26
Should've kept Nick the Ball, is that what you're saying?

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 22:12
Quote:
GHA
Should've kept Nick the Ball, is that what you're saying?

I don't know, is my honest answer, the top young talent might have left anyhow but it did almost remind me of that event, we will have see if our new leaders can get us to instantly return to the premiership first go and keep us there to see if it was a good decision to replace NK, I do hope they will be successful, but then I'm deluded and without the gift of hindsight.

Florida (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 14:53
Another leaver, Matt Ferguson (scrum coach) leaves for Northampton

Paul_D (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 09:55
I'm not sure that Josh Basham has left. Just seen posted on Facebook:

Quote:
London Irish quartet Tom Parton, Ben Loader, Josh Basham and Rory Brand have been called up to the England U20 squad for this summerís World Rugby U20 Championship in France

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 10:04
Quote:
Paul_D
I'm not sure that Josh Basham has left. Just seen posted on Facebook:
Quote:
London Irish quartet Tom Parton, Ben Loader, Josh Basham and Rory Brand have been called up to the England U20 squad for this summerís World Rugby U20 Championship in France

was just thinking the exact same, anyone know whether he HAS left or not...?

Fursa (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 10:12
I thought that "leavers" officially left on 30 June and until then are shown as members of the club they are leaving, but I may be wrong.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 10:16
The contracts run past the end of the season, not sure why. Iíd love it if it was wrong but the club themselves announced him as leaving

HMRH (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 10:18
Yep same way Corbs was an LI player on lions tour to Aus

Paul_D (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 10:29
Shame. I held a glimmer of hope for a few minutes sad smiley

Florida (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 10:59
There's a bit of hope. Last game the LI official communication channels said only 3 LI players were in the U20s (Brand, Loader and Parton), now all the official Comms are stating 4 players...

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 11:34
With our press release team, it could be a bit of a F-up. I wonít let myself get carried away. It probably just sounds better to say that four them are ours.

21 May, 2018 12:30
I'd assume someone mentioned that leaving him off these was a little mean spirited, given he's still technically with the club. Who knows though and very interested to see where he'll be playing next season

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 14:49
Sure I read somewhere that he was going up north to do something with Durham uni

Aiden1011 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 17:03
[www.london-irish.com]
Joe is also on this list however Irish have changed it to say heís at Bath as on Englandís website they have him at Irish
Makes me wonder why theyíve said it for josh and not joe

Finno (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 21:34
Quote:
Aiden1011
https://www.london-irish.com/news/josh-mcnally-gets-england-call-ahead-of-barbarians-clash/bp1853/
Joe is also on this list however Irish have changed it to say heís at Bath as on Englandís website they have him at Irish

It's all a bit weird! Is Josh leaving or not? It's a bit like the hokey kokey..in out etc!!!

Florida (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 22:18
Quote:
Finno
Quote:
Aiden1011
https://www.london-irish.com/news/josh-mcnally-gets-england-call-ahead-of-barbarians-clash/bp1853/

It's all a bit weird! Is Josh leaving or not? It's a bit like the hokey kokey..in out etc!!!

What might help is if the club put up an official leavers list

24 May, 2018 22:06
Basham's disappeared from the Senior Academy page on the Offy (other leavers have gone from the senior squad page). Definitely looks to be going.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net