rugbyunion
Latest News:

2018/19 Squad
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:36
Right then. Enough of the depressing stuff. Let's have a look at the squad for next season (and the gaps). Academy in italics and obviously a few of the positions are pretty interchangeable. Certainly a base to work from in there

Loosehead
Reid
Hobbs-Awoyemi
Elrington
Hay (Year 3)

Hooker
Fainga'a
Porecki
Matuíu
Atkins (Year 1)

Tighthead
Hoskins
Chawatama
du Plessis
Saulo
Cilliers
Baker (Year 1)

Lock
de Chaves
van der Merwe
Paulo
McNally
Maddison
Twomey
Cooke (Year 3)

Back Row
Treviranus
Cowan
Coman
Gilsenen
Schatz
Northcote-Green
Rogerson
Curtis-Harris (Year 3)
Collingridge (Year 2)
Donnell (Year 1)
Moore-Aiono (Year 1)

Scrum Half
McKibbin
Meehan
Steele
Brand (Year 3)
Englefield (Year 1)

Fly Half
Myler
Brophy Clews
Atkins (Year 3)
Knight (Year 1)

Centre
Mulchrone
Hearn
Fowlie
McLean
Stephenson
Campbell
Williams (Year 3)

Wing
Nalaga
Ransom
Ojo
Loader (Year 2)
Hassell-Collins (Year 2)

Full Back
Bell
Tonks
Parton (Year 3)

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 18/07/2018 19:38 by Margin_Walker.

Re: 2018/19 Squad
cjm. (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:41
It'll be a very good championship side if K&K can get the best out of them both as a team and individuals.

Except for fly-half. That area is incredibly weak as I don't see TBC as the future there. I guess this comes as no surprise though.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:49
That squad doesnít fill me with optimism. Where is the moment of magic or the player to create something out of nothing? We won the play off last time with a much better team but we were hardly convincing in quite a few games. This is a team minus all of the attacking attributes we need. We need backs and plenty of them. We have far too many journey man backs. The guys we are left with wonít get the tries we need. It may end up being another year of maul ball.

09 May, 2018 14:04
No doubt the it's a comparatively stronger pack than back line as it stands. Will be very interesting to see what they have been able to do on the recruitment front.

Academy intake also to be announced, but that's more for long term interest.

Marbo (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:09
I actually really like the squad when you lay it out like that. Yes we will miss Lewington and Joe's magic. I am also sad to see Marshal go but he's already done one season in the championship with us so fair play to him leaving. I think the front row looks strong.

My only worry is depth when injuries start to appear I know you can't always plan for injuries. But I have faith this squad could win the championship IF ALL HEALTHY, however that's not likely with the tough nature of the championship and injuries will play a big part especially some physical games from the likes of Cornish and Ealing who will target us as the premiership team that's just dropped down. So Kidney has got to show up now and really prove himself through recruitment, as I may be in the minority but I am still not sold on hiring him I was very happy with Venter and Kennedy as it was a plan. Though it wasn't pretty at the time you can only really judge the finished product and I felt they would have come good on their promises of establishing a strong team and results soon if given more time.

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:14
Do we want a squad / team that will be good in the Championship, or do we want one who will be very good in the Championship and good in the Premiership the year after..?

Finno (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:21
Quote:
GHA
Do we want a squad / team that will be good in the Championship, or do we want one who will be very good in the Championship and good in the Premiership the year after..?

Has to be the latter, or what's the point!! Make or break, yet again, next season !

09 May, 2018 15:18
Okay Myler added. Looks a little more solid at fly half now. Other rumours I can remember hearing

Barney Maddison - Lock - Ealing
Tom Stephenson - Centre - Saints
Matt Rogerson - Number 8 - Jersey
James Flynn - Loosehead - Sale
Jay Baker - Wing - Ospreys

SirBurger (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:41
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Okay Myler added. Looks a little more solid at fly half now. Other rumours I can remember hearing

Only ones I have heard too, although probably don't need another loosehead if Reid stays.

09 May, 2018 15:52
Guess it depends whether they go 4 senior props in each position. May be wise considering our record of breaking props.

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 16:01
Exactly Finno. Wonder if it would've been better to get Myler at the start of the season, rather than at the start of next. If we bounce back up he'll be 35 at kick-off of our first game back in the Premiership

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 17:27
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Would be happy with these signings

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:22
Interesting that both Maddison and Rogerson are noted as released on Wikipedia (yes i know an unreliable source) lends evidence to the notion they have signed for us. Both young and dynamic players. Also quite big lumps and have thought we have lacked a bit of size at times.

10 May, 2018 09:27
Think the top three on that list are highly likely. Maddison and Stephenson especially would be good additions. Don't know too much about Rogerson, other than him being ex Sale. Baker probably the least likely as he's just put a highlight package up on Youtube. Not the sort of thing you do if you have a clubs sorted, but we'll see.

Sam_R43 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:43
Quote:
GHA

Couldn't agree more - Uninspired by Myler signing - Fantastic experienced head, but doubt he will be up to Premiership standard in 2 years. I worry that the future players - Brand, Curtis-Harris, Atkins, Parton - are going to miss out on game time next season to more experienced players in their positions (Trev, McKibbin, Myler, Tonks). That experience might see us win the Championship, but we found out this year it wont necessarily keep up in the Premiership.

Would be delighted to see the younger players get a string of consecutive appearances in the first time alongside the experienced heads, to prepare them for the Premiership. Rather than being loaned out to other clubs. Especially with us no longer taking part in the A league.

Griff (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:12
I would hope we'd manage that properly Sam. Start with the big guns - get a few big wins on the board and know we're O.K. for this year. So long as that goes well start giving the youngsters starts with the old-heads on the bench in case it's not going well. The plan would be to have a winning team of youngsters by the end of the campaign and then augment with a few big name signings to make a proper go of the prem.

For me we need to be winning Championship games comfortably or there's really little point in going back up - if we can do that with the young guns then all the better. The difference between the two leagues is massive (and probably only getting bigger) we _have_ to be building next year's GP team now. For me that's what NK did most poorly - we struggled a lot in some of the games and relied on pack strength to muscle semi-pro sides. That simply can't be happening by the end of this season.

10 May, 2018 11:18
It's a bit of a balancing act as we can't afford many slip ups. Hopefully we'll be able to integrate a few youngsters at any one time to allow for development.

The biggest drawback of the Championship is 22 man squads, especially for backs as it tends to be a 5/2 split rather than the 5/3 you see in the AP. With 23 man squads you can give young backs a run off the bench when a game is safe.

We certainly need to be taking the odd chance with younger players though and would prefer us to go with a smaller squad and trust them to fill the gaps than load up on too many journeymen.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:28
Quote:
Griff
I would hope we'd manage that properly Sam. Start with the big guns - get a few big wins on the board and know we're O.K. for this year. So long as that goes well start giving the youngsters starts with the old-heads on the bench in case it's not going well. The plan would be to have a winning team of youngsters by the end of the campaign and then augment with a few big name signings to make a proper go of the prem.
For me we need to be winning Championship games comfortably or there's really little point in going back up - if we can do that with the young guns then all the better. The difference between the two leagues is massive (and probably only getting bigger) we _have_ to be building next year's GP team now. For me that's what NK did most poorly - we struggled a lot in some of the games and relied on pack strength to muscle semi-pro sides. That simply can't be happening by the end of this season.

Nail on the head!! We need to be outplaying championship teams and not just winning matches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 11:38 by Jamiepep1.

10 May, 2018 15:42
Updated for Stephenson and Maddison.

Starting to fill out a little now. Obviously a hooker or two to come in and a few other gaps here and there. Think we'd be best to keep the squad fairly lean and rely a little more on the academy for cover/development, so don't expect to see anything near the amount of signings as we had leavers.

Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 17:32
What's the story behind Dawidiuk? Li helped him through his illness, he never pulls on a green jersey, gets better then moves on to Coventry? Did he leave on his or the club's accord? Good player by all accounts.

Live in West Wales, work in England, supporting Scotland and London Irish

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 17:35
Quote:
Shropshire Hugh
What's the story behind Dawidiuk? Li helped him through his illness, he never pulls on a green jersey, gets better then moves on to Coventry? Did he leave on his or the club's accord? Good player by all accounts.

He signed for Coventry.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

HMRH (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 23:05
Why do we need to outplay the oppo? Just need to go up and recruit on that basis. Donít get the lets play the youth academy LI youngsters are best. Get promoted and get us a team that can compete in Premiership/ rest of it just noise

PV (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 06:47
I think thel logic behind out-playing rather than out-muscling sides in the championship will be part of a strategy which will be serve the side better in the Premiership, playing youth or not.

Florida (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 12:02
Can we get this pinned? Its a really helpful thread

cjm. (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 12:18
Quote:
PV
I think thel logic behind out-playing rather than out-muscling sides in the championship will be part of a strategy which will be serve the side better in the Premiership, playing youth or not.

Exactly more speed and dynamic rugby is what the punters want and the way the game is going currently. Gym monkeys and fat boys. while needed, are being de-emphasised a bit. This sort of change is best instilled from the ground up as it requires better instinctive skills and play.

Greenboots (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 13:19
One more coming today by the look of twitter

HMRH (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 13:39
Assuming itís the hooker who has been mentioned

olw131 (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 14:44
Quote:
HMRH
Assuming itís the hooker who has been mentioned

Twitter account has posted a Samoan flag...

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 14:56
Please be a unit of a number 8

olw131 (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 15:04
Quote:
Jamiepep1
Please be a unit of a number 8

My thoughts exactly!

Probably well above our level but someone like Mapapalangi from Leics would be great...

Edit - heís Tongan, which rules that one out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2018 15:06 by olw131.

24 May, 2018 15:18
Motu Matu'u as a guess?

Hooker released from Gloucester

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 15:31
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Motu Matu'u as a guess?

Heís got some impressive videos on YouTube. Massive hits, very Halaufia.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 15:43
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Motu Matu'u as a guess?

You are correct. Good player. I'd say Prem Quality. Building an overall strong squad.

24 May, 2018 15:46
Good stuff. Just went through Prem clubs released players (with no onward club listed) and it was just him and Lemi.

Good signing though. Never really took off at Gloucester, but has decent pedigree and could work out well.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 14:31
anyone know much about SAM COLLINGRIDGE?

says on the website he's a neigh on 19st second row. Be interesting to see if he gets game time next season as we have needed some real bulk coming through the academy for a few years now.

25 May, 2018 14:39
They obviously think a bit of him as they seem to have kept him on after presumably being injured most or all of his first academy year.

On the bulk front, Ben Donnell is pretty highly rated (England U18 second row) and you'd like to think we had sorted a contract for him in this year's academy intake.

SteveS (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 15:44
Itís already looking a perfectly decent squad that will win the Championship by 15-20pts and get relegated by half that. But letís see how Bristol do this year to see if there is any sign of the chasm between the leagues closing, Iím sceptical

SirBurger (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 22:05
Quote:
SteveS
Itís already looking a perfectly decent squad that will win the Championship by 15-20pts and get relegated by half that. But letís see how Bristol do this year to see if there is any sign of the chasm between the leagues closing, Iím sceptical

It helps when your owner is loaded and you can sign Charles Piutau on 800k or whatever heís rumoured to be on.

26 May, 2018 23:17
I like the look of the squad we have in place for the most part. That said, Ealing have a better squad on paper than anything we faced last time we were down and we are perfectly capable of screwing it up. At least it will be a fair fight without the play offs.

tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 13:12
If we can get Nalaga and Matu, Coman, Mckibben and Myler playing the level of rugby they were 3 years ish ago (which I think K & K can) they are class players capable of big things on championship then prem. They've just been injured or gone off the boil in last few years. Form is temp class is forever

HMRH (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 12:08
So without any more additions I still think itís a reasonable looking side - assuming Nalaga is recovered

Paul_D (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 12:41
Quote:
HMRH
So without any more additions I still think itís a reasonable looking side - assuming Nalaga is recovered

I was told that the club are hoping he'll be available before Christmas.

HMRH (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 12:43
Wow thatís still nearly half the season - good luck to him

19 June, 2018 21:31
OP updated with the academy intake.

paddym (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 10:06
Rumour that Ben Ransom has left with immediate effect.

26 June, 2018 10:51
That would be a shame if true. Had actually expected him to be on the leavers list that was originally published, given how little he has featured last season. He did do very well last time around in the Championship though.

If he does go, would expect us to pick up a senior replacement. May have been something in the Elliot rumours.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 11:30
Shame if true, not sure we ever saw the best of him. Bit light but a great runner Ben.

smithy75 (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 15:51
I have seen on his Instagram story that heís never in training so could be true

Florida (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 19:04
Quote:
paddym

Where's that come from? Wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

NMB (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 20:07
If ransom is leaving and Nalaga injured until Christmas then we definitely look light on the wing. Will need 1, preferably 2 new recruits in that area...

waltham (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 20:08
Bit late for any (good) new recruits I'd have thought....

NMB (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 21:04
Ashton's looking...

paddym (IP Logged)
26 June, 2018 21:26
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
paddym

Where's that come from? Wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

Was mentioned over weekend at LIARFC beer festival.

10 July, 2018 15:24
Cilliers added to the OP.

Wonder if a tighthead is out the door or injured long term, given we have 5 + Baker. Saulo would be the obvious candidate. Have seen all the others in various pre season training content the club has released.

smithy75 (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 18:51
Just seen Saulo in the video interviewing Pat Cilliers so he hasnít gone

10 July, 2018 20:45
Ah, so he is. Scrap that then

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 22:42
Good signing for depth, versatility and quality. Hope we might pick up another wing too - rumours of Elliott gone quiet?

Florida (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 23:46
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Ah, so he is. Scrap that then

Was probably off with Fiji at the start of preseason

SirBurger (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 11:27
Anyone spotted McNally in any of the videos?

Florida (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 11:44
Quote:
SirBurger

Thought I saw him in the new signing interview one

PV (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 12:19
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
SirBurger

Heís definitely staying (if that was the inference).

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 13:51
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
SirBurger

Yep he was in the background of the Pat Cilliars video.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

SirBurger (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 14:01
So he is, good spot!

HMRH (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 15:30
He was also front and centre for the Armed Forces press release!

HMRH (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 07:28
Will McNally play at lock? Imagine we would start with Paulo and Franco vdM but need Josh in the starting 15 so he moves to flank with Blair and Trev/Rogerson at 8?

SirBurger (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 09:05
Think Paulo will be behind VdM, McNally and Maddison (and probably De Chaves too). Think Josh will end up playing both. Personally prefer him at lock and Coman is one of our leaders at blindside.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/07/2018 09:05 by SirBurger.

18 July, 2018 19:40
Twomey added to the OP

Lots of decent options in the front 5 next season.

nimblehippo (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 21:46
anything further on whether Ransom is still with us? Profile still up on the site and would probably get a fair amount of game time this year. If not, then we are pretty short at the back as he covers both wing and full back.

PV (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 21:52
Surprised that K and K havenít acquired anyone from Ireland given contacts and depth of talent

HMRH (IP Logged)
18 July, 2018 21:57
Maybe thereís no one good enough?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net