rugbyunion
Latest News:

2018/19 Squad
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:36
Right then. Enough of the depressing stuff. Let's have a look at the squad for next season (and the gaps). Academy in italics and obviously a few of the positions are pretty interchangeable. Certainly a base to work from in there

Loosehead
Reid
Hobbs-Awoyemi
Elrington
Hay (covers LH and TH)

Hooker
Fainga'a
Porecki

Tighthead
Hoskins
Chawatama
Petrus du Plessis
Saulo

Lock
de Chaves
van der Merwe
Paulo
McNally
Maddison
Cooke

Back Row
Treviranus
Cowan
Coman
Gilsenen
Schatz
Northcote-Green
Rogerson
Curtis-Harris
Collingridge


Scrum Half
McKibbin
Meehan
Steele
Brand

Fly Half
Myler
Brophy Clews
Atkins

Centre
Mulchrone
Hearn
Fowlie
McLean
Stephenson
Campbell
Williams

Wing
Nalaga
Ransom
Ojo
Loader
Hassell-Collins


Full Back
Bell
Tonks
Parton



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 13:59 by Margin_Walker.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
cjm. (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:41
It'll be a very good championship side if K&K can get the best out of them both as a team and individuals.

Except for fly-half. That area is incredibly weak as I don't see TBC as the future there. I guess this comes as no surprise though.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
jimbo800 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:49
That squad doesnít fill me with optimism. Where is the moment of magic or the player to create something out of nothing? We won the play off last time with a much better team but we were hardly convincing in quite a few games. This is a team minus all of the attacking attributes we need. We need backs and plenty of them. We have far too many journey man backs. The guys we are left with wonít get the tries we need. It may end up being another year of maul ball.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:04
No doubt the it's a comparatively stronger pack than back line as it stands. Will be very interesting to see what they have been able to do on the recruitment front.

Academy intake also to be announced, but that's more for long term interest.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Marbo (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:09
I actually really like the squad when you lay it out like that. Yes we will miss Lewington and Joe's magic. I am also sad to see Marshal go but he's already done one season in the championship with us so fair play to him leaving. I think the front row looks strong.

My only worry is depth when injuries start to appear I know you can't always plan for injuries. But I have faith this squad could win the championship IF ALL HEALTHY, however that's not likely with the tough nature of the championship and injuries will play a big part especially some physical games from the likes of Cornish and Ealing who will target us as the premiership team that's just dropped down. So Kidney has got to show up now and really prove himself through recruitment, as I may be in the minority but I am still not sold on hiring him I was very happy with Venter and Kennedy as it was a plan. Though it wasn't pretty at the time you can only really judge the finished product and I felt they would have come good on their promises of establishing a strong team and results soon if given more time.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:14
Do we want a squad / team that will be good in the Championship, or do we want one who will be very good in the Championship and good in the Premiership the year after..?

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Finno (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:21
Quote:
GHA
Do we want a squad / team that will be good in the Championship, or do we want one who will be very good in the Championship and good in the Premiership the year after..?


Has to be the latter, or what's the point!! Make or break, yet again, next season !

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:18
Okay Myler added. Looks a little more solid at fly half now. Other rumours I can remember hearing

Barney Maddison - Lock - Ealing
Tom Stephenson - Centre - Saints
Matt Rogerson - Number 8 - Jersey
James Flynn - Loosehead - Sale
Jay Baker - Wing - Ospreys

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
SirBurger (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:41
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Okay Myler added. Looks a little more solid at fly half now. Other rumours I can remember hearing
Barney Maddison - Lock - Ealing
Tom Stephenson - Centre - Saints
Matt Rogerson - Number 8 - Jersey
James Flynn - Loosehead - Sale
Jay Baker - Wing - Ospreys

Only ones I have heard too, although probably don't need another loosehead if Reid stays.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:52
Guess it depends whether they go 4 senior props in each position. May be wise considering our record of breaking props.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 16:01
Exactly Finno. Wonder if it would've been better to get Myler at the start of the season, rather than at the start of next. If we bounce back up he'll be 35 at kick-off of our first game back in the Premiership

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 17:27
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Okay Myler added. Looks a little more solid at fly half now. Other rumours I can remember hearing
Barney Maddison - Lock - Ealing
Tom Stephenson - Centre - Saints
Matt Rogerson - Number 8 - Jersey
James Flynn - Loosehead - Sale
Jay Baker - Wing - Ospreys

Would be happy with these signings

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:22
Interesting that both Maddison and Rogerson are noted as released on Wikipedia (yes i know an unreliable source) lends evidence to the notion they have signed for us. Both young and dynamic players. Also quite big lumps and have thought we have lacked a bit of size at times.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:27
Think the top three on that list are highly likely. Maddison and Stephenson especially would be good additions. Don't know too much about Rogerson, other than him being ex Sale. Baker probably the least likely as he's just put a highlight package up on Youtube. Not the sort of thing you do if you have a clubs sorted, but we'll see.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Sam_R43 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:43
Quote:
GHA
Do we want a squad / team that will be good in the Championship, or do we want one who will be very good in the Championship and good in the Premiership the year after..?

Couldn't agree more - Uninspired by Myler signing - Fantastic experienced head, but doubt he will be up to Premiership standard in 2 years. I worry that the future players - Brand, Curtis-Harris, Atkins, Parton - are going to miss out on game time next season to more experienced players in their positions (Trev, McKibbin, Myler, Tonks). That experience might see us win the Championship, but we found out this year it wont necessarily keep up in the Premiership.

Would be delighted to see the younger players get a string of consecutive appearances in the first time alongside the experienced heads, to prepare them for the Premiership. Rather than being loaned out to other clubs. Especially with us no longer taking part in the A league.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Griff (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:12
I would hope we'd manage that properly Sam. Start with the big guns - get a few big wins on the board and know we're O.K. for this year. So long as that goes well start giving the youngsters starts with the old-heads on the bench in case it's not going well. The plan would be to have a winning team of youngsters by the end of the campaign and then augment with a few big name signings to make a proper go of the prem.

For me we need to be winning Championship games comfortably or there's really little point in going back up - if we can do that with the young guns then all the better. The difference between the two leagues is massive (and probably only getting bigger) we _have_ to be building next year's GP team now. For me that's what NK did most poorly - we struggled a lot in some of the games and relied on pack strength to muscle semi-pro sides. That simply can't be happening by the end of this season.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:18
It's a bit of a balancing act as we can't afford many slip ups. Hopefully we'll be able to integrate a few youngsters at any one time to allow for development.

The biggest drawback of the Championship is 22 man squads, especially for backs as it tends to be a 5/2 split rather than the 5/3 you see in the AP. With 23 man squads you can give young backs a run off the bench when a game is safe.

We certainly need to be taking the odd chance with younger players though and would prefer us to go with a smaller squad and trust them to fill the gaps than load up on too many journeymen.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:28
Quote:
Griff
I would hope we'd manage that properly Sam. Start with the big guns - get a few big wins on the board and know we're O.K. for this year. So long as that goes well start giving the youngsters starts with the old-heads on the bench in case it's not going well. The plan would be to have a winning team of youngsters by the end of the campaign and then augment with a few big name signings to make a proper go of the prem.
For me we need to be winning Championship games comfortably or there's really little point in going back up - if we can do that with the young guns then all the better. The difference between the two leagues is massive (and probably only getting bigger) we _have_ to be building next year's GP team now. For me that's what NK did most poorly - we struggled a lot in some of the games and relied on pack strength to muscle semi-pro sides. That simply can't be happening by the end of this season.

Nail on the head!! We need to be outplaying championship teams and not just winning matches.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 11:38 by Jamiepep1.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 15:42
Updated for Stephenson and Maddison.

Starting to fill out a little now. Obviously a hooker or two to come in and a few other gaps here and there. Think we'd be best to keep the squad fairly lean and rely a little more on the academy for cover/development, so don't expect to see anything near the amount of signings as we had leavers.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 17:32
What's the story behind Dawidiuk? Li helped him through his illness, he never pulls on a green jersey, gets better then moves on to Coventry? Did he leave on his or the club's accord? Good player by all accounts.



Live in West Wales, work in England, supporting Scotland and London Irish

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 17:35
Quote:
Shropshire Hugh
What's the story behind Dawidiuk? Li helped him through his illness, he never pulls on a green jersey, gets better then moves on to Coventry? Did he leave on his or the club's accord? Good player by all accounts.

He signed for Coventry.



I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
HMRH (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 23:05
Why do we need to outplay the oppo? Just need to go up and recruit on that basis. Donít get the lets play the youth academy LI youngsters are best. Get promoted and get us a team that can compete in Premiership/ rest of it just noise

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
PV (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 06:47
I think thel logic behind out-playing rather than out-muscling sides in the championship will be part of a strategy which will be serve the side better in the Premiership, playing youth or not.

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
Florida (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 12:02
Can we get this pinned? Its a really helpful thread

 
Re: 2018/19 Squad
cjm. (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 12:18
Quote:
PV
I think thel logic behind out-playing rather than out-muscling sides in the championship will be part of a strategy which will be serve the side better in the Premiership, playing youth or not.

Exactly more speed and dynamic rugby is what the punters want and the way the game is going currently. Gym monkeys and fat boys. while needed, are being de-emphasised a bit. This sort of change is best instilled from the ground up as it requires better instinctive skills and play.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?