Latest News:

Just announced - Myler signs!
AlecW (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:49
Wot it says above!

Re: Just announced - Myler signs!
Finno (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:55
Excellent news. A proper signing, just what we need!

HMRH (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 13:58
Great move and loads of experience too

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:00
Myler for Marshall is a good swap. Now to the others ...

Steelman (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:03
Bless my soul,after all these years a proper flyhalf(Sm134)

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:04
[www.london-irish.com]

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:07
AND a press release that does not mention the first class training facilities!(Sm159)

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:11
Iím being greedy but I really wanted an announcement that we didnít really already know about. Heíll be a steady hand during the season

TheRealBigEasy (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:17
Quote:
Steelman
Bless my soul,after all these years a proper flyhalf(Sm134)

Albeit an end-of-life one

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:18
Interesting... 34 next season, fingers crossed

HerbieSaint (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:29
You've got a good one here folks. Saw off numerous flashier fly halves in his career, and is a vastly better and more creative player than most pundits give him credit for. Doesn't seek the limelight, does his job and gets the team moving forward. Plus he's an outstanding goalkicker.

Wish we could keep him another season or two but I think he'll do a brilliant job for you.

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:39
Hope he has a better impact than Charlie Hodgson did winking smiley

ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:43
From the other thread: Lol. Easily 34 years old before the start of pre-season. By the time the 19/20 season comes around he'll be way too old and slow to do anything better than the average FH in the Championship. Awful waste of money.

He may have two good season left in him, but that is doubtful. He was a great player, but considerably over the hill already, let alone for two seasons time.

I'd prefer it if we just gave FH to TBC next season, although that is a lose-lose because either he does well, in which case when we're relegated in 19/20 he'll get poached, or he does badly and he isn't poached in which case we're paying 6 figures for someone who can't cut it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2018 14:45 by ExiledChameleon.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 14:53
Great signing lads, he'll do for you what Goode did for us hopefully.

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:00
Nine appearances then retire?

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:01
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
From the other thread: Lol. Easily 34 years old before the start of pre-season. By the time the 19/20 season comes around he'll be way too old and slow to do anything better than the average FH in the Championship. Awful waste of money.
He may have two good season left in him, but that is doubtful. He was a great player, but considerably over the hill already, let alone for two seasons time.

I'd prefer it if we just gave FH to TBC next season, although that is a lose-lose because either he does well, in which case when we're relegated in 19/20 he'll get poached, or he does badly and he isn't poached in which case we're paying 6 figures for someone who can't cut it.

He's a decent signing for me. It's not a long term view we are taking. Everything depends on going up this coming season. 10 is a position that players often do well in even in their mid thirties as it's based a little more around game management than physical attributes.

He's vastly experienced, a decent goalkicker and model pro that will be able to act as a mentor to TBC/Atkins/Parton etc. It may not work out for whatever reason, but it makes sense as a signing for me.

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:02
I hope he's cheap this season and remarkable for a 35-year-old the season after

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:10
wasn't mike catt a similar age when he signed?

Paul_D (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:21
Dan Carter is 36

Xprop (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:22
Quote:
Jamiepep1
wasn't mike catt a similar age when he signed?

He was 33 and 37 when he hung up his boots.

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:25
World Cup winner Mike Catt? Double world-cup winner and one of the greatest players ever Dan Carter?

6wfacer (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:31
Peter Stringer is 40 (remarkably still hasnít officially retired). This day and age itís not how old you are, itís how old the body feels.

09 May, 2018 15:50
Quote:
6wfacer
Peter Stringer is 40 (remarkably still hasnít officially retired). This day and age itís not how old you are, itís how old the body feels.

That is all very true, however the odd example to the contrary does not invalidate the fact that only a small fraction of players play on until Myler's age, with the amount reducing significantly each additional year after that.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 15:51
Even over the last 2 years Smyler has seen off Hanrahan, Francis and Mallinder to stay as top fly-half at Saints.

He also seems to be very durable, very consistent and reliable, and knows how to steer a team around the pitch.

In many ways he is MkII Barry Everett

Welcome indeed thumbs down

Life long exile (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 16:10
Solid signing I think. Even if it is just to get us promoted and then he leaves/retires, we will need his stability and experience to guide the younger lads around him.

09 May, 2018 17:44
A good signing- Will guide you round and get you playing in right parts of pitch plus an 80%+ goal kicker
TBH Iím sorry to see him leave Saints
Look after him

Rroooo (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 18:49
As long as he helps us getting back out of the league we find ourselves in, I don't care about his age. He seems to have no injury worries, which lets face it, half our signings last year got paid paid for seeing the physio, seems an improvement to me

Angus67 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 19:08
Saints fan in peace.

Congratulations SMyler has been a great player for us, often under rated by pundits but very dependable, a game manager and very cool under pressure. In finals he has kicked 23 out of 23 penalties and conversions.

He may be 34 but still has a good few miles in his tank.

Good luck next season, and I hope to see you back where you belong soon.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 19:11
Quote:
Angus67
Saints fan in peace.
Congratulations SMyler has been a great player for us, often under rated by pundits but very dependable, a game manager and very cool under pressure. In finals he has kicked 23 out of 23 penalties and conversions.

He may be 34 but still has a good few miles in his tank.

Good luck next season, and I hope to see you back where you belong soon.

Probably not a speciality that will get a lot of use with us to be fair.

Anonymous User (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 19:31
Future starts now... With a 34 year old who's best days are behind him. Good enough for a year in the championship, unlikely to be good enough for the premiership when he's a year older and missed playing to that intensity week in week out.

I think I'm about done.

Aa545 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 20:17
Quote:
Florida
Future starts now... With a 34 year old who's best days are behind him. Good enough for a year in the championship, unlikely to be good enough for the premiership when he's a year older and missed playing to that intensity week in week out.
I think I'm about done.
My thoughts exactly.

Paul_D (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 20:53
Jesus Christ! We could sign Dan Carter and people on here would manage to turn it into negative. Unbelievable.

Aa545 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 21:16
Quote:
Paul_D
Jesus Christ! We could sign Dan Carter and people on here would manage to turn it into negative. Unbelievable.
I would actually be quite happy with Dan Carter.

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 21:17
3rd highest points scorer in Premiership history a disappointing signing for some fans of a Championship club... what parallel universe is this I have entered?

I'm sorry to see Smyler leaving us tbh, he was still the best 10 we had until last week.

Derby Irish Fan (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 21:18
totally agree maybe if we sign the whole Exeter squad most on here would consider them rubbish, heard the pope is signing as full back, st Patrick and st George as wingers no to old for us, who the feck do they want?

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 21:20
I think some are missing the point of signing S Myler, or maybe it's me, it is no coincidence that we have produced a long list of top wingers and have not produced any fly halfs of merit, there was no one to learn from in that position, yes people may say that we had Hodgson but he was here as a kicking coach for one day a week and by my reckoning not a particularly effective one.
He was at Sarries and look at the result of his influence there. Look at Exeter, you have to start somewhere, this would do a lot of good for TBC, or even big Joes brother if barf haven't nabbed him to.

09 May, 2018 21:21
Quote:
Derby Irish Fan
totally agree maybe if we sign the whole Exeter squad most on here would consider them rubbish, heard the pope is signing as full back, st Patrick and st George as wingers no to old for us, who the feck do they want?

To be quite honest there are very few people Iíd be happy with that we could realistically sign. Weíre in a death spiral, and unless a whole generation of youngsters all simultaneously mature or we find £10m down the back of the sofa (or a 14 team Prem comes in) I canít see us escaping the death spiral.

Paul_D (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 21:37
I find it absolutely astounding that the most negative posts this week (and thatís saying something for the craic) are on a thread announcing that, as a championship club, weíve just signed the premiershipís 3rd best point scorer of all time.
For years weíve been moaning that we lacked a quality 10. Today we finally sign one and people are still moaning.

As I said previously, unbelievable.

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 21:53
Quote:
Rroooo
As long as he helps us getting back out of the league we find ourselves in, I don't care about his age

In my humble opinion, it's not just getting us out of the sh*t next season, it's keeping us out of it the season after. If he can do that at 35 years of age, then awesome. Fingers crossed...

Dan Carter and Stephen Myler are two very different players, with all due respect to our new signing.

#FingersCrossed

Finno (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 22:10
I cannot believe some of the cr*p that is being spoken about this signing! He's a class act and I'm sure he'll do a great job for us next season,both on and off the pitch! And I can't think of a better 10 to come off the bench in close (premiership hopefully,next season) match to close a game out.

Superb signing, full stop!

LLL (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 06:24
Hugely established and respected pro, dropping down a division as he reaches later stages of career. Bringing immense amount of experience and leadership to the team, and in the crucial leadership role of a 10. Fantastic signing.

DaveTVT (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 07:13
I'd be keen to understand who the naysayers would want to see us sign at 10...we clearly need some experience/cover here and his team record and potential mentoring of our half backs makes him ideal IMHO.

Given the reality of our situation, this is a great start to our recruitment.

DaveTVT (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 07:13
I'd be keen to understand who the naysayers would want to see us sign at 10...we clearly need some experience/cover here and his team record and potential mentoring of our half backs makes him ideal IMHO.

Given the reality of our situation, this is a great start to our recruitment.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 07:33
I would not be against this as a deal for the championship, so it all depends on the terms of the deal. He must have been low cost, mostly as he was about to sign for Coventry by all reports, who would not have been huge payers and also if he had not signed for any other Premiership team prior to us, i would assume that he had no big offers on the table because he would have been on the market for a while. Us using our Saints connections and grabbing him from Coventry was probably a shrewd move and a very cheap option.

He would be good for us next year in particular as Tommy Bell is injured for the start of the season and we need a good kicker. We have to make a good start next season. I would say that he would be a good one year deal with the possibility of getting some coaching experience the second year (he will be 35 and not a premiership starter). I am sure his age and his lack of other team choices made it a very viable financial deal.

GHA (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 08:11
Anyone know where the following are off to? Any additional information regarding drug habits or long-standing debilitating injuries is welcome, and I haven't bothered including the Jackson / Olding partnership.

- Danny Cipriani
- Tom Heathcote
- Rory Clegg
- Kyle Eastmond
- Richie Vernon
- John Hardie

Is Robbie Fruean definitely retiring? I wonder if Juan Martin Hernandez fancies moving to Reading for one last hurrah...

Anonymous User (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 08:14
Apologies for the negativity folks, was rather disappointed by the way the leavers situation has been "handled".

I'm sure Myler will work wonders for us in the championship, helping to create space for Nalaga and Loader to cause merry hell.

As Steele says WeGoAgain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 08:17 by Florida.

Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:04
As a Saints fan i am gutted to see him leave. He is not perfect, I saw him have a bad game at least twice in the past decade.

With Myler you dont just get a good kicker, you get someone who can control a game wonderfully, great at keeping your defense organised and a player who is very durable to boot.

I have not seen any drop off in his skills at all. I hope he can show to you all in a couple of years why we Saints fans hold him in such high esteem.

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 14:23
Quote:
Bazzo
I would not be against this as a deal for the championship, so it all depends on the terms of the deal. He must have been low cost, mostly as he was about to sign for Coventry by all reports, who would not have been huge payers and also if he had not signed for any other Premiership team prior to us, i would assume that he had no big offers on the table because he would have been on the market for a while.

Somebody who kicks as well as him, especially under pressure, and rarely throws a bad pass or misses a tackle, is exactly the sort of player you want as a back up 10 like Charlie Hodgeson was for Sarries. I wouldn't assume he was bereft of offers in the prem.

Phil Dowson was told he wouldn't be featuring regularly in the 1st choice 23 at Saints, but still had an offer on the table, he chose to go to Worcester for a year and enjoy his last season getting plenty of game time. No prem side looks like it needs a first choice 10, so Myler would be the "experienced back up option" wherever he went - I suspect he just wants to play whilst he can.

St Saltaire (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 05:13
Another Myler fan here- I would quite happily have seen him remain at Saints. You have got a great person and clubman as well as a fine player. Iím sure that he will not let you down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net