rugbyunion
Latest News:

Surely more announcements?! Right ??
rex96 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 10:44
We must have some more announcements right ?? Even if itís about backing or more signings!! Itís all gone very quiet and I donít like it !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2018 10:45 by rex96.

Re: Surely more announcements?! Right ??
Florida (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 10:57
You'd like to think so because you know, building a premiership team and what not, but I do worry about the radio silence.

Xprop (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 10:58
Since 18 have left and 5 joined I would think so.

HMRH (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 11:43
Guess will be timed around STH renewal in West then for the date when others are shifting across - build to a crescendo and stuff

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:56
Looks like we will have a smaller squad. Bare minimum is another hooker. I'd also like a second hooker and a prop, plus possibly another back three player depending on the academy intake.

I'd expect a lot of the senior academy (Cooke, Curtis-Harris, Brand, Atkins, Loader, Parton) to effectively replace leavers, then see a larger number of signings during/at the end of next season ready for the Premiership (fingers crossed).

cjm. (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 17:05
Quote:
Lazyboy346
Looks like we will have a smaller squad. Bare minimum is another hooker. I'd also like a second hooker and a prop, plus possibly another back three player depending on the academy intake.
I'd expect a lot of the senior academy (Cooke, Curtis-Harris, Brand, Atkins, Loader, Parton) to effectively replace leavers, then see a larger number of signings during/at the end of next season ready for the Premiership (fingers crossed).

Think that's the only pragmatic way to go about it, fingers crossed we are straight back up and stay up.

orsoncart (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 17:31
As long as we don't think that a Championship winning side is going to cut it in the PL, without some serious additions, then OK

Actually think that the Championship's going to be a whole lot more competitive, which will be far better for PL preparation.and I don't think it's a shoe in

on the basis of that, I might renew

Florida (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 18:22
Quote:
Lazyboy346

While I'm not against this per se and agree with cjm that it's a pragmatic approach, there was a Comms from the club stating they don't want to build a championship winning side, they want a team that could compete in the premiership.

cjm. (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 19:01
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Lazyboy346

While I'm not against this per se and agree with cjm that it's a pragmatic approach, there was a Comms from the club stating they don't want to build a championship winning side, they want a team that could compete in the premiership.

Don't think they are mutually exclusive, one can lead to the other. Avoiding recruitment desperation is critical though.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 19:08
No point filling squad with journeymen who are probably going to want a two-three year contract. Much better to leave a bit of space for if/when we go back up and trust youngsters/unproven talent in the meantime. I agree that it should make for a more exciting season, especially without the play-offs. Every game counts!

Babs O (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 07:28
Given the playoffs are no longer an issue in the Championship, leaving some scope in the squad to add should we do well makes sense. Allows for the management to plan sooner however looking ahead to promotion is only pertinent providing we do not take our eyes off the ball in regards to the Championship. 100% commitment all the way to ensure we can secure promotion as quickly as possible in the aim of the game. We cannot take anything for granted.

NMB (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 07:40
A more competitive Championship could work to our advantage in terms of securing promotion as early as possible as the other teams will all take points off of each other. Last season, no matter how good Bristol were, promotion was only secured relatively late as Ealing beat everyone else bar Bristol so we're only ever 10 points behind.

That is assuming we're manage to stay above the rest of the pack, beating everybody......

Steelman (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 08:22
Quote:
NMB
A more competitive Championship could work to our advantage in terms of securing promotion as early as possible as the other teams will all take points off of each other. Last season, no matter how good Bristol were, promotion was only secured relatively late as Ealing beat everyone else bar Bristol so we're only ever 10 points behind.
That is assuming we're manage to stay above the rest of the pack, beating everybody......

...and that's a dangerous and unearned assumption..

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 08:30
Our last championship campaign was built on a strong front row, with Reid staying and the others getting a lot of experience last season, I think weíre in pretty good shape. Franco staying is one of our best signings, a workhorse who has seen and done it all. Heíll be our robson taking care of the pack. I donít feel our backs will be all that different to be honest. Lewi was injured most of that campaign and joe was only starting out. With a few half decent recruits we can be as competitive in the backs as we were last time.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 08:35
Seeing as what we have announced so far is obviously on the lower end of cost, a fly half who is in the twilight of his career and going to go elsewhere before us, a young Saints centre who has only played a handful of first team games, an American player who has never played in England and two players from Championship clubs, I would say yes, there must be some big announcements to come.

We have surely cut some big wages from our budget in the players leaving, these new signings are not high end cost wise, so must be room for some significant signings.

PV (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:11
K and K wonít come cheap and we still have some expensive players in the mix.

Iíd be surprised if we see much in the way of transfer activity from here on in, certainly no big names or even anyone known to supporters.

However, K and K now know what they have to play with and if theyíre confident they can do the job, thatís good enough for me atm.

waltham (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 17:53
My guess is that we might see some short term signings and maybe a couple of players on loan from Premiership/ Pro14 to bolster the squad for next season only then (hopefully!) commence recruitment early for 2019/20. Does anyone know what happened to the much vaunted RFU "buddy" scheme??

Florida (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 18:36
Quote:
waltham
My guess is that we might see some short term signings and maybe a couple of players on loan from Premiership/ Pro14 to bolster the squad for next season only then (hopefully!) commence recruitment early for 2019/20. Does anyone know what happened to the much vaunted RFU "buddy" scheme??

They ditched it in favour of an A-league expansion

waltham (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 14:04
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
waltham

They ditched it in favour of an A-league expansion

Thanks Florida, I hadn't realised that: I was wondering if we were likely to be the beneficiaries of short term "buddy" dual registration players...seems not then. (Must admit that I didn't like the buddy concept anyway as it'd have distorted The Championship)

norg2072 (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 12:02
Has anyone heard any rumours, as its gone very quiet again?

SirBurger (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 12:23
None other than those that have been mentioned on here. Surprised we haven't had the new academy intake announced yet.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 12:59
I would imagine that a few of the academy guys will count as new signings. Parton will get some game time Iíd imagine (I think he played for Scottish a few times last season). Loader has already had plenty game time so would be in the 22. We are top heavy at 9 which is a shame as I would have liked to have seen more of Brand this season. Meehan doesnít seem to have had much of a run out, canít say if I like him or not. Maybe the likes of Williams will get some time as well. With so many leaving, I guess they are trying to save some dosh by not getting squad fillers when we potentially have some decent academy lads (Curtis Harris, donnell etc).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net