rugbyunion
Latest News:

This re-branding malarkey is getting ridiculous
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:16
[www.punditarena.com]

Not only does the crest looks ridiculously like Leicester Tigers but also looks awful at the same time.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Re: This re-branding malarkey is getting ridiculous
Jonny_C (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 11:21
Sac de merde

antoinog (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 15:10
You can see why people are wondering if they become the Gloucester lions.
I remember Leinster were called the lions a few years back. They dropped that altho the mascot remains Leo the Lion.

I don’t get the thing with UK (or Ireland) teams adopting lions names (yes even the B&I lions). Ok so there’s being lion hearted etc, but to me it feels a bit strange when the animal is not indigenous to the place. Which is why to me the Gauteng Lions are the true lions!!

:-)

HMRH (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 17:59
So on the subject of Gauteng. Head coach of Gloucester is from Lions as of course is his side at No8.

SA sides looking to step into Europe - nice piece of dual branding.......

Florida (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 20:19
Quote:
antoinog
You can see why people are wondering if they become the Gloucester lions.
I remember Leinster were called the lions a few years back. They dropped that altho the mascot remains Leo the Lion.

I don’t get the thing with UK (or Ireland) teams adopting lions names (yes even the B&I lions). Ok so there’s being lion hearted etc, but to me it feels a bit strange when the animal is not indigenous to the place. Which is why to me the Gauteng Lions are the true lions!!

:-)

Sale sharks, Leicester Tiggers, Exeter chiefs, Northampton saints, Bristol bears... All need a good talking to and rebranding because there's none in England!

I recommend

Leicester Tadpoles
Exeter Cheeseybugs
Northampton Stotes
Bristol Badgers

Newcastle Falcons are fine. Worcester Warriors are treading a bit of a grey line there

Xprop (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 21:34
London Irish Lepechauns?

Florida (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 21:56
Quote:
Xprop
London Irish Lepechauns?

No man, no leprechauns in London ...I had a witty response, but maybe too much beer...

Tommyato (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 07:46
Re-branding? We are not really in a position to criticise. Perhaps we might consider our name - "London Irish"? We have not played in London for many years and even if we moved back, what was then a fine name in the amateur era doesn't really cut it today. Our name, quite simply, sounds amateurish.

Something like Reading or London Wolfhounds might better cover whichever future home base is chosen, whilst unlike Lions / Tigers / Sharks et al, wolfhounds were once bred and used in the British Isles.

Even our nickname "the Exiles" makes my toes curl, especially yer man's call of "...the mighty Exiles" at home matches; even if we were in winning mode it sounds wrong and adds nothing. Our matchday programme - "The Exile" - to me sets completely the wrong tone; my dictionary lists “Exile – enforced or voluntary absence from one’s country or home; one who is exiled voluntarily or by authority”.

Does that branding really reflect or promote a modern rugby club with clearly stated aspirations of success?

We need a name and branding that reflects our heritage but fits with the modern, professional rugby world.

Horticbm (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 10:03
Im happy to keep the name London Irish and nickname Exiles, im fed up of teams selling out (wasps for one), lets keep our heritage

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 11:14
Quote:
Horticbm
Im happy to keep the name London Irish and nickname Exiles, im fed up of teams selling out (wasps for one), lets keep our heritage

This gets my vote

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 15:10
Quote:
jimbo800
Quote:
Horticbm

This gets my vote

My vote to.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Alphacat (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 03:05
Sell out? Why not do one better and sell our naming rights to a potential sponsor or something? (Sm100)

Griff (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 09:40
How are Wasps a sell-out? They were always called "Wasps" - they added "London" for a couple of years and then binned it to return to their traditional name (and then moved to Coventry). Not exactly a rebranding.

HMRH (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 10:24
Is the London Irish part heritage or creating a barrier?

I’m in Reading but think we should be back in London - there isn’t a “London” branded club and despite everything i accept rhe potential market there is larger

I’m not Irish and it doesn’t bother me to enjoy the heritage and history of the club but I wonder if this becoming a barrier to support?

Interesting debate I think as it is a very strong brand and a club with a strong history but is it self limiting?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net