rugbyunion
Latest News:

OT - BBC Weather Online Forecasts
Shawshank (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 09:37
Since they moved from the Met Office their online forecasts have been something of a joke.

They predicted a wash-out Bank Holiday here in Reading, yet it was sunny and hot all weekend.

Today the current 'headline' forecast for Reading is 'heavy rain and breezy' with a picture of 2 very large and ominous rain-drops - yet currently here it's sunny and warming up nicely with no wind to speak of - and their 'hour-by-hour' forecast (which I find is also equally useless) predicts no rain at all today and a maximum wind-speed of 7mph.

(Sm141)

Re: OT - BBC Weather Online Forecasts
Paul_D (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 09:49
This is a massive bug-bear of mine too. I use 3 weather apps - Met Office, Weather Pro (run by Meteo Earth who I believe now supply the BBC) and The Weather Channel.
Never, ever do the 3 of them supply the same forecast. I generally find the Met Office to be the most accurate, but even that is very hit and miss.

The last bank holiday weekend we were sitting outside having a BBQ in glorious sunshine while the forecast said we were in the middle of torrential downpours!

Griff (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 10:27
In a vain attempt to bring it on-topic (not really) the site I use for the message board header (the top-left block on the header gives you the weather for the next match in case you hadn't noticed) is metcheck.com and they're usually pretty accurate (although I can't testify to how accurate they were for the BH weekend).

CharlieG (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 10:53
Quote:
Griff
In a vain attempt to bring it on-topic (not really) the site I use for the message board header (the top-left block on the header gives you the weather for the next match in case you hadn't noticed) is metcheck.com and they're usually pretty accurate (although I can't testify to how accurate they were for the BH weekend).

We tend to use Metcheck - which is generally good but not 100% accurate.

For 'immediate' forecasts, I use 'Netweather Radar' on the phone. It doesn't give you a forecast but it does show where it has been raining in the recent past.

Florida (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 12:16
I use darksky.net seems to work reasonably well

AlecW (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 12:55
Griff - could we possibly run a poll on which forecast websites / apps people find the most reliable? I for one would d be very interested in the result!

OT, but would it count as a 'story' to help keep the site 'awake'...?

Griff (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 14:01
Sure, see that link at the top labeled "New Poll" try that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net