rugbyunion
Latest News:

Bonus Points
Cornish boy (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 13:29
I have long considered the bonus point situation and I am often left wondering if there shouldnt be a case for deducting the losers bonus points from the winners bonus points or for the chance to earn an additional bonus point.

It seems strange that a winning team that scores 4 or more trys and ends up 20 points clear of the opposition is rewarded the same amount of bonus points as a winning team scoring 4 or more trys and winning by less than 7 points.

I get the fact that a win is a win, but the bonus points allocation appears to reward trys rather than dominance and while I understand that dominance should result in trys, it can equally result in penalties and therefore a team winning by 20 points with only 3 trys are worse off points wise than a team winning by 1 point but scoring 4 trys during the match.

Should there in fact be another bonus point awarded to a team winning by a margin greater than 7 points or simply that any bonus points earnt during the match by the losing team are deducted from any bonus points earnt during the match by the winning team.?

Am I alone with this thought and should go back into my box? I would be interested to hear the thoughts of the more astute and wiser members of the forum.

Re: Bonus Points
Alphacat (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 13:35
No, the bonus points system is there to reward high-try scoring games. It has its flaws but it works in that regards.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 14:33
The French system of getting a winning BP only if you score 3 more tries than the oppo seems to work well (and encourages teams to keep attacking for tries even when they have scored 4 tries).

Their losing BP is within 5 pts, which however seems a bit small.

Heaf (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 20:38
I'd prefer a system more like the French where you have to have some daylight in number of tries scored versus the loser - it seems odd that 2 teams giving away loads of tries potentially due to poor defence can both walk away with bonus points ...

Cornish boy (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 20:53
Quote:
Alphacat
No, the bonus points system is there to reward high-try scoring games. It has its flaws but it works in that regards.

If bonus points are there to reward high try scoring games then surely the losing bonus point for being within 7 or less points of the winner shouldn't be awarded?

Alphacat (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 04:58
Hadn't heard of the French system before - agree it seems the better solution. I was just thinking you could have two different games and one might be high tempo high scoring from both sides kind of rugby or you could have a low scoring game but is really competitive. Due to the nature of the system the teams playing the high scoring game, win or lose, will be rewarded with more points than the equivalent low scoring game (assuming scores are similar for both).

bigbitty (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 07:43
Being cynical, it seems two teams could have an agreement not to defend in the first half, and revert to a proper game in the second!....which leads to the uncomfortable thought that I have seen quite a few matches where teams (our own included) play much better in the second half.

I'm not suggesting anything untoward has happened, but the posts above do show that the potential for collusion is there.

exile99 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 10:39
Another vote for the French system

I saw a great Top 14 match on TV last season. One side were 22 points ahead with 4 tries and had clearly won the game with 20 minutes to go. Under the English system they could have sat back and waited for the clock to run down. The losing side however kept the pressure on and scored their second try with 10 minutes to go, creating an exciting last few minutes as the dominant side were forced (or at least encouraged) to score another try to get back their try bonus point. And once they had got it, they still had to defend like mad to ensure they kept it.

Perhaps in most games it wouldn't make a difference, but when it works, it works.

The Sligo Rover (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:28
I think you wil find that The Rugby Champions down under have adopted the French bonus point system.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net