rugbyunion
Latest News:

Good to win BUT!
tonyh50 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:07
Good to see a pretty comprehensive victory today, but as with our last Championship season it was very much on the backs of our forwards (+ Myler such an aquisition) and our scrummaging was so strong.BUT we should never have let them score 3 tries. It will only give hope to other teams that they can score easy tries against us, Bedford who seem to be our nearest challengers at the moment, will fancy their chances against us at Madjeski.
We need to tighten up our defence and hope the backs improve their handling and penetration.
A mention for Topsy who was really solid and impressive today, it seems he is back to his best at Championship level whereas he struggled with the pace of the Premiership last season.

Re: Good to win BUT!
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:31
Meehan is no 10 and canít kick. A pointless sub imo.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Florida (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:34
Quote:
Exile_Dave

I'd rather Meehan unable to kick at 10 for 20 minutes than forcing Myler to play 80 mins week in week out.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:39
The point Iím making is he missed 2 kicks, 4 points lost. If the game was a tight one and against a better opponent those 4 point would have been vital. We need to get into the mentality of getting every point on offer.

I agree with Nottinghamís tries being very soft tries but Iím sure deccy and Kiss and iron those out in training.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:39
Is Jacob Atkins injured?

If not Iíd like to see him on the bench to cover 10 and the back 3.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:40
Quote:
Shawshank
Is Jacob Atkins injured?

Good shout Shawshank.

Xprop (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:54
We leaked a couple of tries when 30+ points ahead and all the subs on. Not much to worry about there.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:19
Quote:
Exile_Dave
The point Iím making is he missed 2 kicks, 4 points lost. If the game was a tight one and against a better opponent those 4 point would have been vital. We need to get into the mentality of getting every point on offer.
I agree with Nottinghamís tries being very soft tries but Iím sure deccy and Kiss and iron those out in training.

Weíve been waiting for Danaher to iron out these defensive issues for over two years now. We leaked late tries in our first championship campaign but had enough firepower to score more. Terrible defence in the prem, especially in the beginning of each half. We didnít nip it in the bud against the lesser sides, meaning we didnít stand a chance when we played the big teams.

I know weíve won twice and probably sit top of the league but unless you strive for as close to perfection as you can get, you give yourself little chance when you step up if youíre ok with letting these issues slide. Listening to the wasps and Exeter coaches earlier, both teams created and scored good tries etc but the coaches focused on the errors, especially Exeter who got a 5 point win. They do this because they know it wonít hold much water when they attempt to go for the title.

There are plenty people on here who canít bare danaher being criticised but the fact remains that we have performed poorly defensively over the past two years. Our first defence phase defence cost us so many games last season. Out of sight before we even got our hands near the ball.

The championship is the season the ensure the squad knows what is required of them. If they canít, they donít play, simple. Tigers and plenty other teams will drop players, even there own cult heroes if they donít perform. We need to be a little more Tigers and a little less Irish.

Bill the chip (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:28
Jimbo... can you please explain the blaming of decs? In relation to Every game in the prem today.... and the away teams score line including Exeter?

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:32
Quote:
Bill the chip
Jimbo... can you please explain the blaming of decs? In relation to Every game in the prem today.... and the away teams score line including Exeter?

First part, defensive issues, itís for defensive coach to manage. Itíll never be perfect but weíve been consistent. In the championship last time around we got into the habit of conceding late tries, sometimes two or three but it didnít cause a problem because weíd scored six tries by then. The rest is stated above.

I donít quite understand your next point

waltham (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:39
Tommy Bell??

BTW - Was impressed with forwards (especially Blair) taking on a "dummy" half position and clearing the ball...Almost back to the old Boothy principle of "1st to the breakdown gets the ball out...don't wait around for one of the backs...

Bill the chip (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:08
Sorry my point is that the best team in the prem for the last 2 years had 4 tries put into them today! To nil anybody in the modern game is almost impossible and Nottingham gave a worthy fight today.
What was noticeable , was how well topsy covered his wing , both with 3 great tackles and his shutting of space.
To me the three breaches came thru Bryce Campbell and Luke McLeanís channel, both played well but timings left gaps..... so thatís a player out of position and a new guy learning the ropes, these guys will get better and hopefully naturally tighten the defence

beaconsfieldirish (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:10
Enjoyed the afternoon out. Bigger, stronger, fitter pack won the day. But my biggest enjoyment was watching the passing, creativity, inciveness and speed of 12, 13 and 14 of Nottingham. Well done lads you were a pleasure to watch

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:23
Quote:
Bill the chip
Sorry my point is that the best team in the prem for the last 2 years had 4 tries put into them today! To nil anybody in the modern game is almost impossible and Nottingham gave a worthy fight today.
What was noticeable , was how well topsy covered his wing , both with 3 great tackles and his shutting of space.
To me the three breaches came thru Bryce Campbell and Luke McLeanís channel, both played well but timings left gaps..... so thatís a player out of position and a new guy learning the ropes, these guys will get better and hopefully naturally tighten the defence

Iím with you now. They did, and wasps were worthy of the scores. My point was that even though they won and got maximum points, they talked about leaking tries. Theyíre aware that they might not get the same scoring opportunities next time so canít rely on our scoring to get the win. I get we have a new guy but someone being out of position isnít a great reason at championship level. You train to cover these scenarios as players are always out of position during a game. You move around to close those gaps. If you concede to some fantastic play that would have worked on even the best defence, so be it, but itís the other types of scores that you look to avoid.

Iím being very picky because we felt the rough end of so many scores last season. When I Ďcomplainí itís because i imagine us as a prem team next year who need to do better. Donít switch off for the last ten minutes like we used to do in the championship last time out. I fully back the boys to do well, but seeing how tightly contested the Orem is already shaping up to be, we need to be a whole lot better next time around.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:46
Quote:
jimbo800
Quote:
Exile_Dave

Weíve been waiting for Danaher to iron out these defensive issues for over two years now. We leaked late tries in our first championship campaign but had enough firepower to score more. Terrible defence in the prem, especially in the beginning of each half. We didnít nip it in the bud against the lesser sides, meaning we didnít stand a chance when we played the big teams.

I know weíve won twice and probably sit top of the league but
unless you strive for as close to perfection as you can get, you give yourself little chance when you step up if youíre ok with letting these issues slide. Listening to the wasps and Exeter coaches earlier, both teams created and scored good tries etc but the coaches focused on the errors, especially Exeter who got a 5 point win. They do this because they know it wonít hold much water when they attempt to go for the title.

There are plenty people on here who canít bare danaher being criticised but the fact remains that we have performed poorly defensively over the past two years. Our first defence phase defence cost us so many games last season. Out of sight before we even got our hands near the ball.

The championship is the season the ensure the squad knows what is required of them. If they canít, they donít play, simple. Tigers and plenty other teams will drop players, even there own cult heroes if they donít perform. We need to be a little more Tigers and a little less Irish.

I thought Kiss was helping with the defence?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 19:46 by Exile_Dave.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:53
If he is, why are we paying for two defensive coaches. Kiss is capable of doing the defence, heís made a career out of it

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 21:12
I think fans should give the team a month or so to gel completely AND then make their incisive comments.

Come on you Irish

Paul

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 21:26
Getting fans to keep their opinion to themselves for a month after waiting ages for a competitive game? Get outta here with those kind of thoughts

dooj106 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 22:06
Quote:
Florida
Quote:
Exile_Dave

I'd rather Meehan unable to kick at 10 for 20 minutes than forcing Myler to play 80 mins week in week out.

Agreed, we were 30+ pts up so why not try something a bit different and also protect Myler.

With there only being 7 subs in the championship you are essentially losing a replacement back so potentially more likely to need players to play out of position. The only way you can find out if players can play out of position is to give them a go so even though it didn't work out got no problem us trying it especially considering the game was already one.

Am sure it wouldn't have been tried if the game was in the balance

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 22:23
Was Parton off the pitch at that point?

Spent plenty of time at Fly Half at U18s and for Henley. Thought he may have been the back up option in that 22. Didn't see the game, but wasn't really convinced by Meehan there against Leicester.

MattM (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 05:12
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Was Parton off the pitch at that point?
Spent plenty of time at Fly Half at U18s and for Henley. Thought he may have been the back up option in that 22. Didn't see the game, but wasn't really convinced by Meehan there against Leicester.

Parton played the full 80. Not sure giving him kicking duties on his league debut on top of everything else he had been doing would have helped the lad. Certainly an option for the future though.

Sponsoring Ollie Hassell-Collins for the 2018/19 season.

Usually found tweeting gibberish (via @MattMerritt)

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 05:20
Sure, was talking more about a run at 10.

McLean has kicked for Italy internationally plenty of times. Sure he could have filled in on that front for a few conversions. Not important though, just curious.

22 man squads really are a pain and don't help us at all from a development point of view.

Narbia (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 07:56
Quote:
Shawshank
Is Jacob Atkins injured?

Is he back playing for LI from London Scottish?

I'm not a robot : reCAPTCHA

Bazzo (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 08:26
Quote:
Narbia
Quote:
Shawshank
Is Jacob Atkins injured?

Is he back playing for LI from London Scottish?

He would only ever have been on loan there and is mentioned in our squad list.

I could not help but think that we were playing within ourselves and that the win was never in doubt. Same for Ealing last week (who did not hammer Scottish), we will just have to keep racking up the wins and get up as quick as possible. This squad is the best in the league by far. Hopefully some of the younger players and ones they want to look at will get run outs in the second half of the season. They threw Parton in and he did very well, would like to see more in time.

Have to say that I accept its our first home game and the wins are what count, but I would like to see more expansive rugby and quicker hands (especially in the centre). Our defence should be looking for some close outs too. I also thought that Kiss was in charge of defence, but as head coach he is in charge of everything!

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 08:25
I'm curious as to why we don't play with a 4 - 3 split on the bench. We have more versatility in the forwards with players such as Mcnally, Cowan, schatz etc. who can cover second row and back row if needed. That way we can have a 9, 10/15 and outside back cover. Means you can change things up a bit more if needed.

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 11:15
Can see why we would want 5 forwards on the bench as the Championship can be very strong and abrasive up front. Ideally we'd have had a player like Palframan who could play prop and hooker or a hooker/back rower like Ellis so we could play a 4-3 split in different ways.

Think we may utilise having very flexible backs instead over the season, such as McLean playing wing but able to cover 10/12/15 or Steele or Brand covering wing from 9 or bench. Not seen enough of the Meehan at 10 experiment to decide if it is short term until Bell and TBC are back or a more regular option

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net