rugbyunion
Latest News:

England v NZ
Shawshank (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 16:29
Appalling decision to call Lawes offside.

TMO is a joke.

Re: England v NZ
Shawshank (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 16:43
And the amount of coaching that Garces was allowed to give the NZ defence at rucks was bizarre. So many offences, so many warnings, but not one single penalty.

There really isnít much point in anyone else turning up to the RWC next year as NZ always start every match was an extra man advantage.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 16:56
Hugely committed and tactically good performance from England. Ultimately though you've got to question the decision not to go for the posts from those two penalties.
On a side note, is Farrell the best fly half in the world?

Heaf (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 17:20
Yep that offside call was ridiculous ... England robbed.

From what we saw today Ireland should be favourites next week.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 18:06
I'm expecting some sort of new Zealand backlash, they'll certainly be better than they were today

Florida (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 19:32
I'd we forget about the ref for a moment... Underhill was outstanding!

paddym (IP Logged)
10 November, 2018 20:57
Same as summer tour in SA, England go ahead and then don't score for maybe 50 minutes. Lineouts in second half a major problem. Sorry but having watched disallowed try about 20 times think the call was just about right.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 01:03
Those tries are often given, but never against the SH teams.I think Laws was 20mm off side.

HMRH (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 07:51
Not clear and obvious so poor decision and another TMO interference. That being said we had a marginal call in our favour last week so these things happen. England should have won but didnít. Hopefully theyíre getting back on track although it still feels scrappy in a way Ireland donít.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 11:01
Well ireland find themselves in unfamiliar territory next week, being the favourite's against the AB, it will be the biggest test and one they will probably pass, I hope.

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 11:08
I don't think any team are the 'favourites' when playing this all blacks team. They weren't good yesterday but you can bet your bottom dollar they will be improved for next week

Heaf (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 12:30
Quote:
paddym
Same as summer tour in SA, England go ahead and then don't score for maybe 50 minutes. Lineouts in second half a major problem. Sorry but having watched disallowed try about 20 times think the call was just about right.

Still looked onside to me. They showed a line superimposed on the pitch in the post match analysis and Lawes was behind it - just. They also failed to spot the last AB took a step forward beyond the ball so it was out even before the SH lifted it. Either way it wasn't clear and obvious which is the standard required to overrule a try. Even the TMO didn't sound sure when he said "With the pictures I've got ..." but Garces forced him into making a decision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 12:31 by Heaf.

cjm. (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 17:13
Players generally push the offside line. You could see all the England players lined up. Lawes was crabbing around half a yard in front of them.

Whether offside or not that factor did make him look offside.

General rule is win by enough that marginal ref decisions don't influence it. If you don't it's a likely possibility.

paddym (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 18:43
Think the main issue was that he came from an
offside position at the start of the ruck/maul and never retreated back behind the back foot. Seemed to be the thought from those from pros who came back to Hazelwood last night as well.

Heaf (IP Logged)
11 November, 2018 22:16
Eh? What were you watching? At the start of that breakdown he was about 4 yards behind the ball not retreating ... 74:45 is on the clock if you want to have another look.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 22:21 by Heaf.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 08:22
It always seems to me that when you are playing the AB's, every player in the squad knows the laws better than the officials and they bark out calls from start to finish, you could hear the scrum half from the upper stand, this is not stamped out, so everyone should do it really, but if you have built a dynasty over a number of years, you tend to be listened to first.
England got a crucial decision in their favour last week against SA, with the dangerous tackle by Farrell, this week it was the AB's who got a decision when the SA TMO intervened on a call that was not clear and obvious, to rule the try disallowed, it's why we watch rugby anything can happen, but to beat the all blacks you need to be a lot better than England were for most of the match.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 09:45
LI Bo - to be honest it also why I am becoming rather jaded by rugby - there now is such a massive room for interpretation by the ref and his various assistants that it is basically a lottery.

The number of replays seen before it was disallowed was evidence enough that it was not 'clear and obvious' that Lawes was offside.

Indeed, compared to some of the 'forward pass' tries that have been recently allowed by TMO's, it was a no-brainer to award a try.

cjm. (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 21:03
Ditto. Find myself doing other stuff if watching on telly. It's why it struggles to get big crowds on a regular basis too.

Obviously it's a fast moving game, you want the laws to be clear and abided by but not to slow the game down. Almost impossible. Each time a law is tweaked a loophole pops up and is exploited. Whack a mole.

GHA (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 21:16
Other than Saturday, I'm finding it impossible to remember the last time I saw a penalty given for a defender being offside trying to charge down a box kick...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net